Timesplitters 3..Any thoughts

specialk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I just got TS 3 FP for my birthday but haven't opened it yet... I was wondering, for those of you who have it, how's the online community? Is it pretty easy to find a game? Also how's the single player? I had TS 2, and thought it was fun and novel. But wasn't much of a fan on the aiming system.

Also, if i don't keep TS3, i'm considering Doom 3 or SC:CT. I'm looking for a game with good online, so if you have any more suggestions, i'm open.

-peace

i assume you have halo2, if not get it.

otherwise i'd get the new splintercell or hold out for the new rainbowsix.

brothers in arms is another good one...don't know much about the online

assumption correct.

that's really all i've played on live.

how's splinter cell online? i've never played any SC games. what kind of gametypes etc? does it have online coop?

Timesplitters is a FUN game:

Pros:
- Map Editor (so LIVE play is always different)
- Graphics are decent
- Controls are good (fixed moving cursor aiming mechanism)
- LIVE community seems decent
- Humor in the game
- Lots of LIVE options
- Lots of characters to unlock
- BOTS for offline play
- Mini-Games
- Nice selection of weapons

Cons:
- Short Single Player (6-8 hours)
- Map Editor is cumbersome
- Still not Halo 2 for LIVE play (I guess that's the benchmark)
- LIVE play is a bit fast...almost like UNREAL (I guess it could be a GOOD thing)

I enjoy the game....probably about a 7.5 from me. It just doesn't get much play from me since none of my friends own it. Halo 2 still gets a majority of the play. Pariah is another new game that is a good FPS.

You may like Splinter Cell if you like SLOW/STEALTH games....people love it, i HATE it.

thanks...yeah i guess that is the pitfall of playing halo 2, not much lives up to it (atleast for me)

i'm not too sure how much i'd like the stealth games....i always wanted to just run in blazin on Metal Gear Solid...

[quote name='specialk']thanks...yeah i guess that is the pitfall of playing halo 2, not much lives up to it (atleast for me)

i'm not too sure how much i'd like the stealth games....i always wanted to just run in blazin on Metal Gear Solid...[/QUOTE]

I would pass on Splinter Cell probably then....you can run and gun a bit in this version, but it's still a STEALTH game.

I have not played TS lately because of finals, but I plan to go back to it very soon.

The community is VERY nice and there were many games where we were laughing the entire time during a game. People are not obsessed with rankings and some will even give you tips during the game.

The characters are over the top and the play is nice - although sometimes a bit laggy. (This may have changed since I played last)

To reiterate how nice the community is - I added four people to my Friends List on XBL in one weekend. (I had kept it to my friends here in NC previously)

Now that Pariah has become a letdown, I will probably alternate between H2 and TS: FP.

[quote name='specialk']sweet i might keep it then...

so pariah, isn't all it was cracked up to be?[/QUOTE]

I almost caved in and bought Pariah despite the reviews, but it was really bad.

I checked out gamerankings.com and compared the two...

Pariah - (73.9% average) ---> (Gamespot gave it a 5.9 out of 10)

TimeSplitters: FP - (84.3% average) ---> (Gamespot gave it a 8.1 out of 10)

Both have a map maker, so you might as well go with TS: FP of the two. Plus, TS: FP has some pretty cool recreations of old N64 Goldeneye/Perfect Dark maps.

The single player challenges and arcade leagues in TS: FP unlock a lot of fun characters to use in muliplayer, as well as some fun cheats.

The human gun sounds is my favorite.

Btw - for more info check out an older thread/discussion we had back when the game first came out...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44832

[quote name='doubledown']You may like Splinter Cell if you like SLOW/STEALTH games....people love it, i HATE it.[/QUOTE]

You are not the only one. Its like a try it till you get it right game. I hated it.

[quote name='specialk']oh and i almost forgot....unreal championship is a contender also....any thoughts on that?[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, stay away.

[quote name='Maizrim']I almost caved in and bought Pariah despite the reviews, but it was really bad.

I checked out gamerankings.com and compared the two...

Pariah - (73.9% average) ---> (Gamespot gave it a 5.9 out of 10)

TimeSplitters: FP - (84.3% average) ---> (Gamespot gave it a 8.1 out of 10)

Both have a map maker, so you might as well go with TS: FP of the two. Plus, TS: FP has some pretty cool recreations of old N64 Goldeneye/Perfect Dark maps.

The single player challenges and arcade leagues in TS: FP unlock a lot of fun characters to use in muliplayer, as well as some fun cheats.

The human gun sounds is my favorite.

Btw - for more info check out an older thread/discussion we had back when the game first came out...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44832[/QUOTE]

I think Pariah's getting a bad rep....it's not as bad as everyone says. I like it, but I'll admit it's not GREAT. I probably would take Timesplitters:FP over it though....

I think the Map Maker is more user friendly for PAriah though.....I have yet to use it though.

TS:FP is good, really good. IMHO I think the single player is not as well done as TS2, but it is very polished, very tight -- it is very good, just not as good as it could have been -- I'm very happy with the purchase.

I prefer the story model of TS2 -- it just seems that each of those levels was truely "loved" and made just perfect by the developers and designers. TS:FP is really nice and gorgeous to look at, but I am not keen on the use of futuristic weapons within some of the levels that take place in the past -- still it is well made and well executed. They should have revisited Neo Tokyo though -- instead they gave us a "Terminator" style level.

The multiplayer experience is great on the PS2, which is a good change -- it is very XBox Live-ish, though I miss the UFO map. Some TS2 maps are revisited though (Chinese Castle, Assault Training grounds), along with some of the old music, which is nice.

The community is fun, and a wide variety of gaming types can be found, though way too many people seems content to just play plain old death match. On the PS2 there is great support for friends and messaging - there is nice support on the Web site for stats and game type info -- very wel done and polished.

I just wish that all of this had come out years ago as a supplement to TS2 rather than creating a whole new game.

Two thumbs up in my book.

I love TS3. Aside from story mode, you have multiplayer (vs and co-op), challenge mode, arcade mode, and the map maker. Crazy number of characters to unlock, medals to earn, etc. Plenty of humor, too. Tons of replay value.

The game has much more sillyness -- it definitely does not take itself too seriously.

Still not sure why they felt the need to push to the "M" rating -- mostly because for overt sexuality -- I would have liked to have seen a "T" on this one to broaden the audience.

Arcade and Challenge modes really shine in the Single Player -- if u liked them in TS2, you will love them in TS:FP. The reward system is easier too -- u can unlock new characters without getting golds, which cheapens the competitive nature a little, while on the other hand does make the reward system more friendly.

I enjoy ther single player quite a bit. It's alot of fun. Really haven't played on Live with it yet.
I need to get on their with Area 51 also.
If you have not tried Republic Comando, I think the online community of that game has to be some of the nicest I have ever played with.

Looks like TS3 will fit you well. The single PLayer wasn't much IMO. It was hard to follow the story, graphics aren't anything to go nuts over and the aiming isn't anything to technical. The weapons and humor are a lot of fun though and the online is the seller which it seems is what you want. So go for it.

yeah i decided to keep it...weighed my options and i really liked TS 2, and there isn't much out there that i want right now

Timesplitters 3 is the first game in the series to not run at a constant 60 FPS.

I felt the series is growing a bit tired in the third edition. It looks like they used the same engine with minimal improvements.

[quote name='rallen']Timesplitters 3 is the first game in the series to not run at a constant 60 FPS.

I felt the series is growing a bit tired in the third edition. It looks like they used the same engine with minimal improvements.[/QUOTE]

The human eye can not perceive above 30 FPS, so what diff does that make? If TS:FP ran at 15 FPS, I would still love it.

played it tonight....only for a few minutes on someone's created map, but it was fun....different pace from halo, and the people i played with were really nice. i look forward to putting some more time in on this.

[quote name='deadite76']Nope![/QUOTE]

Can u jump in real-life when shooting a gun? I find jumping to be one of the most unrealistic features in FPS games that normally pride themselves on simulating reality.

I think they should replace the "jump" with a "climb."

I find very little about Timesplitters or Halo or most FPSes a good gauge of reality....:) But jumping is fun...so keep it IMO.

[quote name='donssword']The human eye can not perceive above 30 FPS, so what diff does that make? If TS:FP ran at 15 FPS, I would still love it.[/QUOTE]
Damn...Really

On a lighter note: I liked Timesplitters, and i enjoy Mapmaking, and the occasional multiplayer

[quote name='donssword']The human eye can not perceive above 30 FPS, so what diff does that make? If TS:FP ran at 15 FPS, I would still love it.[/QUOTE]

Um, wrong?

The human eye retains an image for about 1/30th of a second.....but that doesn't mean we can't tell the difference between, say, 24fps versus 30fps versus 60fps.

For me, 50fps and above starts to look all the same. 24fps, film for example, has a slight flicker to it when a camera is panning. At 30fps you dont get that flicker.
At 60 fps everything has a cripsness to it.

In general anything above 60fps is a total waste, so long as that 60fps is maintained without dropping.

But I can definately tell you the difference between 30 and 60 fps.
As can most people I think.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Um, wrong?

The human eye retains an image for about 1/30th of a second.....but that doesn't mean we can't tell the difference between, say, 24fps versus 30fps versus 60fps.

For me, 50fps and above starts to look all the same. 24fps, film for example, has a slight flicker to it when a camera is panning. At 30fps you dont get that flicker.
At 60 fps everything has a cripsness to it.

In general anything above 60fps is a total waste, so long as that 60fps is maintained without dropping.

But I can definately tell you the difference between 30 and 60 fps.
As can most people I think.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. There's definitely a noticeable difference between a game running at 30 fps and one running at 60 fps.

I think I'm in the minority of not liking TimeSplitters: Future Perfect -- both online and offline.

I bought it on it's release date, as I liked the ones before it (although I thought TimeSplitters and TimeSplitters 2 were both missed opportunities), and sold it a few days later after I realized single player felt like it was made with a Nintendo 64 dev. kit, that Live play was just as bad (if not worse) and that the acclaimed map maker was an inept piece of crap.

The only insentives to play was to unlock the AWESOME character models you could use in multi-player and the Challenges.

All in all, I thought it was worse than TimeSplitters 2... TimeSplitters 2 felt a lot more advanced, for some reason. Certainly Future Perfect wasn't as bad as the first TimeSplitters, but it was close.

You might be better off getting Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, which is fun online and offline. Or maybe Unreal Championship 2004 or something like that. Brothers in Arms was pretty good, but I certainly don't think it deserved the insanely high reviews it got -- I'd give it at least a 7 out of 10. Doom 3 is fun with it's online co-op mode, but the deathmatches are terrible, in my opinion, as everyone slides around the maps at light-speed like Gumby on one foot.

Just my opinion.

bread's done
Back