Tips on selling off a large collection?

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
I have a little under 1,000 games(think I am under 1,000 after my last big purge) and I am looking to finally just start mass selling my collection off(I wish I took the offer for $8,000 I got last year!). I have always when selling just listed my games at CAG and Gametz and slowly sold stuff as I got offers I perceived as fair. This time I dont want to do that, I do not want to spend half my day haggling with people and turning down $30 offers on a $100 game or working out a huge trade just to have the other person back out at the last second. I may still list the most valuable stuff here but for the most part I just want to start listing it on ebay and making what I can/getting it out of my house. Its a hard thing for me to do as I have always treasured the collection, but I just dont see myself jumping through the hoops it would take to play old games I can emulate or download on PSN anyways!

I have never sold like this before though so I am hoping a few of you might have experience with it and can give some tips. Am I better off selling as one massive bundle? Should I keep the rare gems in with the junk games to force people to take not so hot titles, or does it just reduce the value of that gem? If I shouldnt sell in one huge bundle I am assuming I should at least keep games together by system(like selling 20 PS2 games together vs having a mix of PS2 and SNES)?

Any tips on how to go about selling all these games are appreciated. I have everything from consoles to games to collectors editions. Very few sports games but there are titles in there only worth a buck or two now as well as really rare/expensive items. The games also range from ancient stuff like Odyssey and Atari games to PS3 and 360.

Lowball on the filler/less-sought-after items, either Amazon or here for the good stuff.

Warning: Doing a lowball with a huge number of items is a massive undertaking. You might want to break it up in 2-3 auctions if you are dumping hundreds of games.

Shop around a mass offer for 1-2 weeks before the lowball at various sites.

[quote name='Strell']Lowball on the filler/less-sought-after items, either Amazon or here for the good stuff.

Warning: Doing a lowball with a huge number of items is a massive undertaking. You might want to break it up in 2-3 auctions if you are dumping hundreds of games.

Shop around a mass offer for 1-2 weeks before the lowball at various sites.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm never really thought about doing a lowball here. Do older games actually still go for anywhere near value? I figured most lowballs for older games ended in sorrow for the seller ;(

Well, it's a lowball for a reason. Volume pays off though, because you can get a few bucks per game. Granted, lowballs are more for "I need to dump this now" type reasons, but it's still a valid way to move a bunch of stuff quick.

There's tons of people around here who have pulled off successful lowballs, and we (myself included) all think pretty highly of the procedure. Definitely worth consideration at least.

What I am doing is selling off the valuable and donating or trashing the cheap titles. I've sold big(not massive) lots and it is a pain in the ass to package and ship them. But if I sell one thing I just bubble mail that shit and leave it for the mailman. I am in the beginning stages of ridding myself of some of my collection. And just doing it little by little listing individuals. But if you want to get rid of shit quick you would have to sell them in one big lot. I guess it all depends on how much time you are willing to put into it.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I have a little under 1,000 games(think I am under 1,000 after my last big purge) and I am looking to finally just start mass selling my collection off(I wish I took the offer for $8,000 I got last year!). I have always when selling just listed my games at CAG and Gametz and slowly sold stuff as I got offers I perceived as fair. This time I dont want to do that, I do not want to spend half my day haggling with people and turning down $30 offers on a $100 game or working out a huge trade just to have the other person back out at the last second. I may still list the most valuable stuff here but for the most part I just want to start listing it on ebay and making what I can/getting it out of my house. Its a hard thing for me to do as I have always treasured the collection, but I just dont see myself jumping through the hoops it would take to play old games I can emulate or download on PSN anyways!

I have never sold like this before though so I am hoping a few of you might have experience with it and can give some tips. Am I better off selling as one massive bundle? Should I keep the rare gems in with the junk games to force people to take not so hot titles, or does it just reduce the value of that gem? If I shouldnt sell in one huge bundle I am assuming I should at least keep games together by system(like selling 20 PS2 games together vs having a mix of PS2 and SNES)?

Any tips on how to go about selling all these games are appreciated. I have everything from consoles to games to collectors editions. Very few sports games but there are titles in there only worth a buck or two now as well as really rare/expensive items. The games also range from ancient stuff like Odyssey and Atari games to PS3 and 360.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of selling my entire collection, still am, but have sold small lots of stuff. 20-30 items. You usually get more for more valuable stuff if you list it individually. Like if you have 100 snes games and u have earthbound, chrono trigger etc. sell those individually, then sell the stuff that's not worth much in a lot.

For the sake of all the CAGs, consider some lowballs. Older stuff, from what I've seen anyways, usually goes for a fair price. Maybe break it up by generation, or by like an all Nintendo/Sega/Playstation one.

[quote name='therealdanhill']For the sake of all the CAGs, consider some lowballs. Older stuff, from what I've seen anyways, usually goes for a fair price. Maybe break it up by generation, or by like an all Nintendo/Sega/Playstation one.[/QUOTE]

I am leaning towards taking a look at my collection, gutting things that are usually over $20 in value and then taking the rest and doing a series of weekly or bi weekly lowballs.

Even rare/expensive games tend to hit fair prices in lowballs. You'll usually end up at 60 to 70 percent of eBay value on the really desirable stuff. Considering you could pay 18+ percent in fees on eBay/Amazon, it's really not a bad idea to sell everything in your lowball. Plus, you're less likely to get scammed on CAG - there's no system buyers can exploit to get their money back.

A lowball is a great idea that should be broken up by say, 50 items per lowball. So that way you don't get confused and can accurately track all the bids on the items. Even 50 is a lot and each lowball should be up for at least 5 days, so you'll need a good couple months to unload all of your stuff if you want to get rid of 1000 items.

I would make the same suggestion I (and many other CAGs) make: sell the rarities by themselves and put the junk in related lots.

bread's done
Back