To all PSP Owners try to convert me

Galego23

Banned
I've been considering to get either a PSP or a DS for the longest. In all honesty I've always wanted a PSP over a DS so I'm not going to need an arguement for that.. but I have my doubts on buying a PSP.

I commute to work via train... so on my way to work and on my way home is probably the only time I'd use it(roughly 3-4 total hours per day). I've always been hesitant for two big reasons

1)I keep hearing rumours of a new PSP coming out or in 'the works' and I don't want to shell out what is it $179.99 or $200.00 for the 3000 when a new one is just around the corner

2)I probably won't play it as much as I would like...

well with my supposedly "immune" 360 Elite with the Falcon getting the infamous RRoD tonight, I am definitely thinking harder about getting me a PSP.

Seeing all those points I made, is it worth me getting? Any games for the PSP that make it a must-buy? Should I go for the 3000 or 2000?

I'm really sorry if there are other topics similar to this.. I'm just so frustrated with my 360 right now... I didn't even bother to use the search button.

If there's games on it you want, get the games and play them. Can you name, say, ten games you want to try/play on it? If so, then it's worth it.

If you don't like it, sell it down the line.

There's been a good number of these threads, yeah, but I won't really berate you for that.

I just mean that it always comes down to the games.

Off the top of my head:
LocoRoco 1/2
Parappa the Rappa
Final Fantasy 1/2
Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Dissidia
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Resistance
Killzone
GTA: Liberty City Stories
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Crush
Gurumin
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Ac!d 1/2
Disgaea (and any number of strategy RPGs)
DJ Max Portable (I think one is coming here? Already is here?)
Ratchet and Clank
Daxter
Castlevania Chronicles
Beats (downloadable game that you use MP3s with, making it essentially endless, a great value for $5)

I mean it's got a good selection in almost any genre you could want. I know I'm forgetting a good number.

I know the 3000 model has a few new features and a better screen, but unless it's the same price as a 2000 Slim, I don't think anyone would really advocate one over the other too much. Battery life might be different between the two, but I'm not paying enough attention to know either way.

Also I don't think there's a new model/version coming out anytime soon. If one WERE to come out, I wouldn't put it before late this year. Sony also said a PSP2 isn't really being planned at the moment, which basically means it probably won't show for a few years at the earliest. So I wouldn't worry that you'd gotten one obsolete out of the box.

Could probably get a decent bundle on here for cheap, on Craigslist, or through a Dell.com deal.

Honestly, dont get either and get an iPhone. I find the internet to be much more amusing than portable gaming devices. And I say this as an owner of a CFW PSP.

[quote name='help1']Honestly, dont get either and get an iPhone. I find the internet to be much more amusing than portable gaming devices. And I say this as an owner of a CFW PSP.[/quote]

I have no need for a phone therefore the iPhone is not an option... there's also no warranty on the iPhone in case it is lost/stolen like a regular phone plan so that's definitely a no.

I have a $25 GC from TRU I need to waste it'll probably go to the PSP... need to use it by 1/31. I'll probably get the Ratchet and Clank SE package..

Clever choice on that as it includes a memory stick if I recall but if that's gone
there's the second option the GoW red PSP bundle for a starter although some may disagree on this but that game is pretty awesome.

oh and to add few more games to that already existed selection
Silent Hill: Origin
Socom U.S. Navy Seals: Fireteam Bravo
and
Patapon

nice thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

Yeah the Ratchet & Clank PSP is still in stock at my local TRU, I'll pick that up.

As for the GoW one isn't that for the PSP 2000 and not 3000?

I have both and prefer the PSP as a piece of hardware. They're both great systems though, you really can't go wrong with either one.

Advantages of the PSP, in my opinion:

+ Nicer screen
+ Feels better in the hands
+ Downloadable demos
+ Non-game features (web browsing, media playback)
+ Crisis Core
+ War of the Lions
+ Fighting games

Disadvantages:

- Not as durable as DS
- Have to buy memory sticks
- UMDs are kind of annoying
- DS has Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger

In the end it really just comes down to which one has the absolute-must-play games for you personally. For me the answer was both.

There's not going to be another PSP "just around the corner." The 3000 just came out, and while I don't doubt there will eventually be a 4000 and beyond, it's not going to happen until the end of this year at least.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I have both and prefer the PSP as a piece of hardware. They're both great systems though, you really can't go wrong with either one.

Advantages of the PSP, in my opinion:

+ Nicer screen
+ Feels better in the hands
+ Downloadable demos
+ Non-game features (web browsing, media playback)
+ Crisis Core
+ War of the Lions
+ Fighting games

Disadvantages:

- Not as durable as DS
- Have to buy memory sticks
- UMDs are kind of annoying
- DS has Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger

In the end it really just comes down to which one has the absolute-must-play games for you personally. For me the answer was both.

There's not going to be another PSP "just around the corner." The 3000 just came out, and while I don't doubt there will eventually be a 4000 and beyond, it's not going to happen until the end of this year at least.[/quote]

The end of this year is still pretty close in my opinion... I just brought it up because I've seen recent articles albeit very vague pointing at a possible new PSP in the works... but I think I'm sold on getting one regardless.

My only question now is this is the GoW bundles the PSP 2000 or 3000 version? On Amazon it shows it as being the 2000 at TRU it doesn't say anything at all.

GoW bundle is the PSP 2000. Daxter and Madden bundles are too I think. AFAIK the only PSP 3000 bundle is the Ratchet and Clank one.

[quote name='redline']GoW bundle is the PSP 2000. Daxter and Madden bundles are too I think. AFAIK the only PSP 3000 bundle is the Ratchet and Clank one.[/quote]

Thank you.

I may use the Dell Sale to get the Ratchet and Clank bundle and use my $25 GC for a game at TRU.

I have a PSP with CFW that allows me to play everything in the PSP library. That being said, I can't tell you the last time I turned it on. The PSP is the Wii of handhelds. You'll enjoy it for a while and then it will start to collect dust.

I say if you're going to get one, pick up an older version for less than $100...then at least the investment will be small.

[quote name='ZForce915']I have a PSP with CFW that allows me to play everything in the PSP library. That being said, I can't tell you the last time I turned it on. The PSP is the Wii of handhelds. You'll enjoy it for a while and then it will start to collect dust.

I say if you're going to get one, pick up an older version for less than $100...then at least the investment will be small.[/quote]

I know all to well about that Wii lol... but I don't think for me personally i'd just stop playing after a while.. I need something to keep me entertained on my train ride to and from work besides my iPod and some cheesy poker game on my phone that I can only play for 20 mins or so before I lose service in the tunnels, ha.

I play my PSP every day. I have an older model and I installed CFW and a bunch of emulators. It is worth it just for that. I just played through Zelda Oracle of Ages (again) and I'm about to start DK94. So many games and so little time.

I just got a PSP 3k, which completes my collection of console/handhelds from this generation, and here are my thoughts on it:

It's a great machine! If you don't own an mp3 player, or have the sudden need to watch videos on the go, the PSP is your machine. If you own a PS3, then a PSP will be a nice complement to that. I grabbed the PSP3k for the better screen and the built in mic (I have a Skype account), unfortunately it appears the the word "better" is highly subjective. I actually decided on which to buy from this youtube vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac0yIjQGr1k

As for the games, as said before you should list down a healthy list of what games has your current interest, and see if you could get a Demo for it from PSN (I just downloard the GoW and Syphon Filter Demos... and I'm in love with both). If you have only one or two games that's a "must buy", then consider holding off for a while.

yeah there's a fair amount of games that I do want to play like Crisis Core, GoW, Metal Gear Solid, etc

also 2009 from what I've been hearing has a sick line-up ahead with Dissidia:FF, Star Ocean, Kingdom Hearts and so forth... mostly all RPGs which I love.

I pretty much agree with the others, you should make the decision on your own, the PSP is a great system with great game, but its not for everyone, and if you are getting it for RPGs there aren't that many good RPGs coming out this year (a lot more on the DS)

The PSP gets some really nice RPGs. Don't forget Star Ocean 1 and 2! The original Star Ocean 1 never came out in the U.S. and I was having a great time playing it until I decided to finish up grad school. Before that I finished Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, which was excellent. I've also been meaning to get Jeanne d'Arc off the PSN store.

I have a DS and most of the RPGs on it just don't do it for me. Must be a combination of the PSP's better graphics and it getting the RPGs that I hadn't played as opposed to the DS getting remake/ports of the ones I have played. The DS wins in sheer quantity, but by getting a PSP late-ish in its existence, you have a pretty big backlog to work through so it's hardly a problem.

If graphics don't bother you, then either system is fine, more so the DS because it gets everything (shovelware included). However, if you enjoy knowing that the monster you're slaying is actually a monster and not a tree or a rock, get a PSP. Having graphics on par with the PS2 in your hands pretty much trumps the DS. And i say that as an owner of both. I've been able to get through quite a few anime series thanks to my PSP simply because i was able to convert them for the PSP (MP4 or something like that) and watch them between classes (University) or in bed while my girlfriend is watching a movie or something. I've used the PSP as an MP3 player and while bulky, it's great to put on the desk and listen to music. The internet radio is actually quite useful as well. And best of all, the web browser. If you're like me and don't have a data plan fo ryour cellphone, but have access to wifi, the PSP is perfect. I can't remember how many times i've checked my Gmail and/or gone to gamefaqs to help me get through a part in some game.

[quote name='Gden']I pretty much agree with the others, you should make the decision on your own, the PSP is a great system with great game, but its not for everyone, and if you are getting it for RPGs there aren't that many good RPGs coming out this year (a lot more on the DS)[/quote]

Really? I thought there were a ton of great RPGs coming out for the PSP this year including Star Ocean, Final Fantasy Dissidia, Phantasy Star Portable, FFXIII:Agito etc

[quote name='surak']The PSP gets some really nice RPGs. Don't forget Star Ocean 1 and 2! The original Star Ocean 1 never came out in the U.S. and I was having a great time playing it until I decided to finish up grad school. Before that I finished Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, which was excellent. I've also been meaning to get Jeanne d'Arc off the PSN store.

I have a DS and most of the RPGs on it just don't do it for me. Must be a combination of the PSP's better graphics and it getting the RPGs that I hadn't played as opposed to the DS getting remake/ports of the ones I have played. The DS wins in sheer quantity, but by getting a PSP late-ish in its existence, you have a pretty big backlog to work through so it's hardly a problem.[/quote]

Yeah, that's what sold me for basically all the reasons you stated.

The PSP is region free correct?

bread's done
Back