To all the anal people (Myself included) - Best Buy 2 for $25 deal

Stryffe2004

CAGiversary!
I am one of the many people that prefers the original packaging for a game over the Player's Choice/Platinum Hit/Greatest Hits packaging. there is no rational reason other than I like all of games to look uniform. The Platinum Hits are the worse since they change the whole color of the packaging rather than just the label.

Anyway, this Best Buy 2 for $25 deal was too good to pass up so I decided to bite the bullet. My Best Buy did not have the Platinum versions of Full Spectrum Warrior or Crimson Skies, but the originals rang up under the special. I do not know if this is YMMV or if it works for all titles, but if the special packaging is stopping you from taking advantage of this sale, check to see if the originals are in stock and you might get lucky.

If this has been posted elsewhere, please ignore.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I am one of the many people that prefers the original packaging for a game over the Player's Choice/Platinum Hit/Greatest Hits packaging. there is no rational reason other than I like all of games to look uniform. The Platinum Hits are the worse since they change the whole color of the packaging rather than just the label.

Anyway, this Best Buy 2 for $25 deal was too good to pass up so I decided to bite the bullet. My Best Buy did not have the Platinum versions of Full Spectrum Warrior or Crimson Skies, but the originals rang up under the special. I do not know if this is YMMV or if it works for all titles, but if the special packaging is stopping you from taking advantage of this sale, check to see if the originals are in stock and you might get lucky.

If this has been posted elsewhere, please ignore.[/quote]

One CAG way to go is to just replace the packaging / inserts. I also noticed that some PS2 Greatest Hits have the red sticker *outside* the shrink wrap.

[quote name='BigDirty']The games are the same UPC regardless of packaging. Hence why they fall into the deal.[/quote]

Sweet. I thought that might be the case, but was not sure. I may have to go back for more. . .

The ones with the red stickers on them that say "Greatest hits" are put there by Sony vendors for games that become GH. At least they do this at my store

[quote name='BigDirty']The games are the same UPC regardless of packaging. Hence why they fall into the deal.[/quote]
I'm not so sure about that. I think that BB just has their act together. I remember with the TRU greentag sale, a friend and I missed out on some games, due to TRU only having one non-PH copy of a game, and only non-PH would ring up at the current greentag price.

That's funny since the Greatest Hits/Plat Hits/Player's choice have the same upc sku as the original. I have verified this many times.

I just wish the Best Buy deal covered any games that were in the $19 range. My local Best Buy had one copy of Viewtiful Joe 2 for the Cube at $19 and I thought about trying to pick it up, but figured that since it isn't even a Player's Choice game it probably wouldn't work. However, all the Pokemon Colisiums at my local BB were the non-GH version. So I know that the deal would work for both package types.

In that deal, I managed to pick up Sonic Mega Collection for the Cube and Animal Crossing with the Memcard for $25. Sweet...too bad Animal Crossing requires way more attention to play than I can afford it.

geez.. lets freak out over how the game is packaged its still the same game regardless.. o wait its in a different box holy crap i hate it.. KOTOR is still KOTOR and it won't make a difference in 5 years which version people will buy.

Rob

[quote name='b0bx13'][quote name='BigDirty']The games are the same UPC regardless of packaging. Hence why they fall into the deal.[/quote]
I'm not so sure about that. I think that BB just has their act together. I remember with the TRU greentag sale, a friend and I missed out on some games, due to TRU only having one non-PH copy of a game, and only non-PH would ring up at the current greentag price.[/quote]

I was going to get Sonic Collection and N4S:U2 but I figured that the dumbasses there would not know that it is a greatest hit.

My local BB is so dumb that the Pokemon GC game is still $50, so that is way out of the question.

I thought what the OP is saying was common knowledge. I know when something hits PC/GH/PH, people like to go to stores and get the original packaging for the new lower price. But I guess if you didn't know that by now, you know now :)

[quote name='urzishra14']geez.. lets freak out over how the game is packaged its still the same game regardless.. o wait its in a different box holy crap i hate it.. KOTOR is still KOTOR and it won't make a difference in 5 years which version people will buy.[/quote]
That's obviously not true. Just look at non-GH PSOne games on eBay. Lots of gamers are collectors too.

I don't really mind the PS2 `Greatest Hits' packaging, it's usually not too much worse then the original (althoughsome games like Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando and SSX Tricky inserts have some cool metalic texture to them that the GH versions don't), and most of the GC Player's Choice version aren't too bad (other than that stupid `Best Seller' logo that seems to be popping up). The Xbox Platinum Hits versions have got to be the ugliest things I've ever seen though. Not only is the box art shrunk and that title stuck on, but the cases are hideous.

I'm happy that the Greatest hits/platinum/players have the same sku. It makes my job and life alot easier =p.

Unfortunetly this isnt the case in the UK. At lest from what i've seen.

One CAG way to go is to just replace the packaging / inserts. I also noticed that some PS2 Greatest Hits have the red sticker *outside* the shrink wrap.[/quote]

... not really... because with the greatests hits also comes with the cd in which ruins everything

[quote name='urzishra14']geez.. lets freak out over how the game is packaged its still the same game regardless.. o wait its in a different box holy crap i hate it.. KOTOR is still KOTOR and it won't make a difference in 5 years which version people will buy.[/quote]
That's obviously not true. Just look at non-GH PSOne games on eBay. Lots of gamers are collectors too.[/quote]

Exactly. I guess it is kind of like a first edition book versus a second printing.

[quote name='nneace']NFSU2 is a greatest hits? I know the first one is, but the second one I don't think it is.[/quote]

Maybe it is the first one then.

As long as it's in good condition, I don't care.

The only time I do is in cases like Kingdom Hearts and Going Commando, where the game had cool metallic printing.

I buy games to play and not for collecting, so I could care less what cover it has. The games I do care about are not mainstream enough to be GH so it doesnt matter to me. On the rare case that I do care about the cover I am going to pay full price for the game when it first came out. If you must have the original because for whatever reason (reseller value or collecting) than you should get it at the first chance and not complain that you can't find the original packing when it is cheap.

collecting video games for how they look is pretty stupid, it is also a horrible investment in the long run. you may have a couple of games that are worth something, but i would say 90% of the time you are going to get less than you paid for them down the road. so I say buy the games you want to play, who cares about packaging, its hard to beat 12.50 for a new game.

[quote name='TheShiz']collecting video games for how they look is pretty stupid, it is also a horrible investment in the long run. you may have a couple of games that are worth something, but i would say 90% of the time you are going to get less than you paid for them down the road. so I say buy the games you want to play, who cares about packaging, its hard to beat 12.50 for a new game.[/quote]

I may be wrong, but I think most collectors are not buying games as an investment, but for looks. I don't plan on selling my games anytime soon, but I like the uniformity of having the same packaging for all games. It is strictly for me, not because I think a first printing will be worth something. If it is worth something, great. That is an added bonus. I agree, games as an investment is not a good idea.

bread's done
Back