To all those who sometimes get burritos and tacos.

Moses144

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
At places other than Taco Bell, I mean. Why is it that every place I go to deems all the fillings to go directly in the middle of a huge burrito, in thick globs? Why must all my sour cream and salsa be right smack dab in the middle while my cheese is holed up on on end?

I saw one girl put an ice cream scoop of guacamole in the middle of my burrito a fortnight ago.

Is this a style? Is it a standard? This lump assembly has happened at three joints, and it's really annoying me. How is it that I could assemble a better burrito than these guys without ever having assembled one?

They probably don't care? It's why I never get fast food burritos...but cheesy gordita crunches *drool*

chipotle is better than any real mexican restaurant i've ever heard of.. authenticity can blow me, i like delicious things

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']solution = go to real mexican restaurant[/QUOTE]

And get diarrhea.

The topic is valid though. They just shoot that shit on the food in tubes or what is essentially the food industry equivalent of a caulking gun. And then a strip of meat paste. Same way Subway squirts that gob of mayo right in the asscrack of the bun with those ketchup bottles that have bigger openings on the nozzle, so the bottom gets soggy and a few bites in all of it squirts out like a Peter North moneyshot. Or McDonalds with those nasty-ass dice onion wads and pickles that taste like ass.

I prefer to eat at Wendys or Arbys. For some reason they don't fuck up a burger as much as the competition. Burger King is okay if you are smart enough to order your Whopper cut in half. Otherwise half of it is ending up on your lap.

[quote name='Koggit']chipotle is better than any real mexican restaurant i've ever heard of.. authenticity can blow me, i like delicious things[/QUOTE]

They do what is described above. Not to mention they don't serve queso sauce which makes Qdoba superior.

My advice, pick a joint and become a regular and know the workers. After being there awhile, mention to them what you want and they'll more then likely accommodate you.

I go to the same Qdoba, and have been for years. I always get extra cheese, and the sauce and all the ingredients are spread perfectly. Wasn't like that at the start. YMMV :p

edit, also..

Is this a style? Is it a standard? This lump assembly has happened at three joints, and it's really annoying me. How is it that I could assemble a better burrito than these guys without ever having assembled one?

It's the standard when you pay your works 7.25 (minimum in WI) and you don't care as the above person said. They *CAN* make one better, but do they care? Nope.

Pay them a decent salary and expect results. Which will no doubt never happen. When the work is so easy, and there's a recession people will work for peanuts.

That's why I ask them to mix it together at the end of the process.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']They do what is described above. Not to mention they don't serve queso sauce which makes Qdoba superior.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It's all about Queso. It's why we hardly go to Chipolte.

go get a real buritto. when i lived in oregon they used to have these taco wagons all over the place an they were awesome. 5 bucks youd get this tortilla wrapped behemoth that always filled you up. those burittos came wih chicken or steak or pork and were loaded with beans and rice and cheese and stuff.

taco bell is going to vary depending on who works there if they dont give a shit dont be surprised if your buritto looks like a trainwreck. i do love those volcanoe boxes though best thing theyve come out with in years.

So true. I like the Taco Bell bean burritos and it's always a crapshoot (no pun intended) guessing which end is doused in the red sauce and cheese and which end is just beans. You can definitely ask them to mix it up at a place like Chipotle, Moes or Qdoba but I've grown so accustomed to them not that I just naturally eat my burrito in a strategic manner depending on what ingredient I'm going for in that bite.

Worst case scenario, you can unwrap, mix, rewrap and enjoy OR make it yourself at home. I fell short in trying to make a copy cat of chipotle (before you could google recipes) and found out that meat + a box of Zatarains Dirty Rice mix and whatever toppings is a good home made alternative.

I find that Chipotle and California Tortilla use the weakest flower tortilla. After a few bites, the WHOLE thing falls apart :( Truly is a mess :( Chipotle will also skimp on the meats as well.

It's never bothered me much, it gets so smushed together it seems to spread out. I also hate sour cream, and I'm not big on guac on burritos--so that may help as maybe those get lumped more than the meat, cheese, lettuce, salsa etc.

As for place, Qdoba is probably my favorite as they have a good bit of variety in types of burritos. Then probably Baja Fresh, followed by California Tortilla, then Chipotle, then Moes. All are pretty good though, I just like having more variety in types of meats, sauces, toppings etc. than Chipotle offers. Moes has more than them, but my Burritos always seem to be cold even when I eat in (guess they don't keep the meat, beans and rice hot enough, and the cold toppings overpower them).

In any case, I don't get them very often from any of the places. Just too much fat, and way too many calories for one meal. Even if it's your only meal, these things are 800-1200 calories and your body will store more of those calories as fat if eaten in one sitting vs. spread out through the day. Hence why nutritionists, bodybuilders etc. will eat 4 to 6 small meals a day. Spread out the calories so carbs get used for energy, protein for muscle building etc. vs. being excess and getting stored as fat.

So I love burritos--especially ones for a good mexican restaurant vs. these americanized fast food burrito places--but only get them a few times a year and they're probably among the unhealthiest things I eat. :D Got to splurge sometimes though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Panchero's is better than those other "burrito" places (Chipotle, Qdoba, et al), and they mix the ingredients up every time to avoid the issue the OP is describing. Unfortunately they don't have a lot of locations. Look up the locations online though, there may be one nearby if you're lucky.

I think the quality of burritos and tacos is largely dependent on where you live.

Here in Austin, you can't throw a stick in the air without it hitting a Mexican restaurant. On top of that, the people that work at these places know how to make a good ass burrito almost universally. Sure, sometimes you get an incompetent asswipe who throws all the ingredients in the middle, but for the most part, you're golden on quality.

Basically, if you really want some good burritos, move to the Southwest. You just can't get the real deal anywhere else.

[quote name='Moses144']At places other than Taco Bell, I mean. Why is it that every place I go to deems all the fillings to go directly in the middle of a huge burrito, in thick globs? Why must all my sour cream and salsa be right smack dab in the middle while my cheese is holed up on on end?

I saw one girl put an ice cream scoop of guacamole in the middle of my burrito a fortnight ago.

Is this a style? Is it a standard? This lump assembly has happened at three joints, and it's really annoying me. How is it that I could assemble a better burrito than these guys without ever having assembled one?[/QUOTE]

Forknight

I've been very into Baja Fresh lately, most of the stuff tastes to me like taco bell with freshER ingredients (which i am on board with). I haven't tried Qdoba yet, but I got a little tired of the same ole thing at chipotle.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I think the quality of burritos and tacos is largely dependent on where you live.

Here in Austin, you can't throw a stick in the air without it hitting a Mexican restaurant. On top of that, the people that work at these places know how to make a good ass burrito almost universally. Sure, sometimes you get an incompetent asswipe who throws all the ingredients in the middle, but for the most part, you're golden on quality.

Basically, if you really want some good burritos, move to the Southwest. You just can't get the real deal anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this is the answer. If you go to a chain, it will vary on the employee, especially if you're living in the midwest or something. Now living in Alaska, well lets just say I'm very disappointed.

i've had mex, tex mex, and all that from cali, texas, and ny. while the wet burritos in cali are pretty mighty, i've had some of the best tacos and burritos in brooklyn, ny. not saying they do it best, i just like the way my mexican resturant makes them over the others i've had...I have however had the best tasting and prepared mcdonald's cheeseburger in San Antonio, TX. the thing had mustard on it...remember that? remember when mcdonald's cheeseburgers had a dab of mustard? might have been bison...who knows, but it was damn good.

as for the cauking gun style of fast food prep, it's designed to make your order in less than 30 seconds so you don't have to wait for your diuretic.

Yes i love mexican food but hate when its all globbed together like they do with their glue guns.

I have this Mexican place back home in MI called Tony's Tacos that doesnt mess up their burritos and tacos. Its family owned so they care about their food as opposed to the Taco Hell across the street.

Thats why when im at places that serve burger i usually get whatever im having plain and ask for the condiments on the side. Hopefully the dont mess it up then.

Been getting into BK and Wendys side salads which are really good.

[quote name='Koggit']authenticity can blow me, i like delicious things[/QUOTE]

Why do you like Chipotle then? That place is terrible, it's about on par with Taco Bell.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']They do what is described above. Not to mention they don't serve queso sauce which makes Qdoba superior.

[/QUOTE]

Qdoba is the best "fast food" mexican chain I have tasted.

The best Mexican restaurants I have ever ate at are family owned and in strip malls.

In this area, the only real options for fast food burritos are Taco Bell, Dell Taco, and Chipotle. Out of the three, Chipotle is the obvious choice in terms of quality, however, Dell Taco wins in speed and beats taco bell in quality and the amount of diarrhea associated with the burrito.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']And get diarrhea.

The topic is valid though. They just shoot that shit on the food in tubes or what is essentially the food industry equivalent of a caulking gun. And then a strip of meat paste. Same way Subway squirts that gob of mayo right in the asscrack of the bun with those ketchup bottles that have bigger openings on the nozzle, so the bottom gets soggy and a few bites in all of it squirts out like a Peter North moneyshot. Or McDonalds with those nasty-ass dice onion wads and pickles that taste like ass.

I prefer to eat at Wendys or Arbys. For some reason they don't fuck up a burger as much as the competition. Burger King is okay if you are smart enough to order your Whopper cut in half. Otherwise half of it is ending up on your lap.[/QUOTE]this man speaks the truth.
Last time I went to mexican restaurant is when me and some buddies thought it was a good idea to skip summer marching band practice. After we ate, we attempted to play Modern Warfare, but had to keep running to the bathroom in between matches.
That was our punishment lol

There are amazing Taquerias all over San Francisco - some better than others. And even at those, some times are better than others.

But I'm guessing it's because, like people said before, they don't really care. Still, when they roll the burrito, it should just be the ends that end up being lame, everything else should end up fairly swell.

Well, I live in the northeast, and not in a major city. So I'm not fortunate enough to have found a great local burrito place, though we do have some mediocre private restaurants.

On the topic of Mexican food, does anyone notice dessert Churros (the eggroll sized, not the long thin ones) at restaurants always taste pretty identical, and the only difference is the shell and how well it's cooked? This is something that's also screwed up, half the time, the Churro is cold, half the time it's hot.

I've noticed at Chipotle if you dont order guac or sour cream on the burrito, this dosnt seem to happen. However, like someone else said, they do skimp on the meats & for an extra scoop its $2 more (or somewhere around there). OTher than that, its great. Except for all the terrible blood stains in your underwear...

Here's the solution.

Come to Texas, go to Freebird's, realize Chipotle is total bullshit compared to them, and return to your darkened corner of this nation to live out the rest of your days lusting after the superior burritos a smaller chain has compared to garbage trendy Baja-Mexico retard shitsauce-in-a-wrapper that Chipotle curdles down your throats for premium dollaz.Watch Koggit come bitch about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchb3rry']And get diarrhea.[/quote]
i'm almost sure that mexican restaurants in mexico have much better food than we do.

for sure the beef is better.

[quote name='Strell']Here's the solution.

Come to Texas, go to Freebird's, realize Chipotle is total bullshit compared to them, and return to your darkened corner of this nation to live out the rest of your days lusting after the superior burritos a smaller chain has compared to garbage trendy Baja-Mexico retard shitsauce-in-a-wrapper that Chipotle curdles down your throats for premium dollaz.[/QUOTE]

Tell it, my Tex-Mex brotha.

Come to Texas, go to Freebird's, realize Chipotle is total bullshit compared to them, and return to your darkened corner of this nation to live out the rest of your days lusting after the superior burritos a smaller chain has compared to garbage trendy Baja-Mexico retard shitsauce-in-a-wrapper that Chipotle curdles down your throats for premium dollaz.Watch Koggit come bitch about this.[/QUOTE]

I don't care for Chipotle either, but I'd eat their dreck before living (or hopefully even visiting again) Texas! ;)

And "premium dollar"? All these burrito joints are pretty damn cheap for the amount of food you get. Hell of a lot of food for basically pocket change at around $7-10 depending on what you get.

[quote name='DiRT_X']WELCOME TO MOE'S!!![/QUOTE]

As I said earlier, that's the only one of the burrito chains I like less than chipotle. Meat isn't great, and mine are always cold and soggy even if I eat in. And I've tried a few different locations in a couple of states, so it wasn't just one crappy location.

I know we're talking about Mexican food, but I've gotta say that Nicaraguan/Salvadorean food>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tex Mex

Gotta say thumbs down to Moes as well. I completely ignore the fact that I never feel drawn back after a meal and make a visit every once in a while and I always end up feeling like "I should have gotten Chipotle."

I concede that Chipotle isn't the best by far but burrito chains are few and far between here and Qdoba is just far enough east of where I live in Parma that I second think making the trip because I like eating my burritos within 5-10 minutes of being rolled up. It's been good the few times I've gone out for it though. Mexican restaurants are always great and plentiful. Food comes up really quick and they're usually pretty generous.

[quote name='Segasonic01']I've noticed at Chipotle if you dont order guac or sour cream on the burrito, this dosnt seem to happen. However, like someone else said, they do skimp on the meats & for an extra scoop its $2 more (or somewhere around there). OTher than that, its great. Except for all the terrible blood stains in your underwear...[/QUOTE]

It's like they give you a small spoon of meat/chicken, then TONS of RICE, BEANS, Lettuces. Its like smaller than your palm's amount of meat :( then charge you 6+ bucks for it :(

Can these places DOUBLE Wrap your Burritos for like an extra dollar? I would just like to each a burrito from these places without it FALLING APART!! Only one place has a tortilla that is strong enough to hold it's contents without fallout...and that place is TACO BELL!!!

You know what? I need to do a comparison of Taco Bell, CT and Chipotle. I got all three within a mile of each other. Yes I know the biggest burrito from taco bell is the Grilled stuffed and I know CT and Chipotle is BIGGER.... but we must know who can hold their own!!!

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Can these places DOUBLE Wrap your Burritos for like an extra dollar? I would just like to each a burrito from these places without it FALLING APART!![/QUOTE]
Chipotle has actually offered to do this for free on occasion when the burrito is too big to wrap with one. I usually refuse tho & have actually moved to the "burrito bowl" cuz the sodium & fat in the wrap greatly increases the overall sodium/fat content.

Taco Bell is shit and I don't even understand why we have them here since there are billions of Mexican food stands roadside that are cheaper and 100x better. That's just because I live 40 minutes away from Mexico though.

Come to Texas, go to Freebird's, realize Chipotle is total bullshit compared to them, and return to your darkened corner of this nation to live out the rest of your days lusting after the superior burritos a smaller chain has compared to garbage trendy Baja-Mexico retard shitsauce-in-a-wrapper that Chipotle curdles down your throats for premium dollaz.[/QUOTE]

Where I live Chipotle isn't "premium dollaz" - in fact it's considered dirt cheap. I'd like to hit up more real South American restaurants more often but they're either real holes packed with huge lines or a nice place you've got to go out of the way to wait three times as long for twice the price. They have great Peruvian chicken on the cheap here, but after a while that gets old.

I hit up Chipotle if I'm in a rush because it's fast and cheap. Frankly if I'm going to blow a few bucks more I'd rather get some Thai.

Come to Texas, go to Freebird's, realize Chipotle is total bullshit compared to them, and return to your darkened corner of this nation to live out the rest of your days lusting after the superior burritos a smaller chain has compared to garbage trendy Baja-Mexico retard shitsauce-in-a-wrapper that Chipotle curdles down your throats for premium dollaz.Watch Koggit come bitch about this.[/QUOTE]

I am in here to say this. Freebird's is amazing.

Taco bell is some nasty gringo food. I don't know about other cities but Cali has the best stuff in the U.S, most notably San Francisco(famous for their burritos)

Anyways, this topic reminds me of a skit they had on the MadTV show a few years ago called Taco Hell, that skit had some truth to it, I am sure youtube has it.

chipotlaway.png

bread's done
Back