To anyone with an EA Sports Account on xbox live, psn, etc!CHANGE YOUR LOGIN INFO!

TheRobReport

CAGiversary!
Feedback
86 (100%)
I recently got my xbox live account hacked and someone used my paypal to purchase 5600 microsoft points and use them to purchase UT packs for FIFA 2011.

After filing a dispute with paypal and xbox live, I went online to find anything that could give me a reason why my account was hacked since that has never happened to me before.

Sure enough I find this has been a common thing as of recently and could be due to an EA Sports hacking that took place in June.

If you have any EA Sports games (NHL, Fifa, Madden, NCAA, Tiger Woods, etc) you need to change your psn, xbl, steam information asap!
Here are some links, packed with comments from people who have fallen victim, and the dlc is almost always used for Fifa 11 Ultimate Team packs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442986
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-14-xbl-accounts-hacked-to-buy-fifa-packs
http://techie-buzz.com/tech-news/electronic-arts-bioware-hacked.html
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/62425/XBLA-How-Widespread-Is-Current-Account-Hijacking-Issue
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...2-purchases/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not create threads to ask a question. Do not post your own affiliate links. Only post specific video game deals!

I just wanted to warn you guys, sorry for it being in the wrong section.

Just wanted to let cag know since there are a lot of people who own EA Sports games.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Good deal, but I think it'll be a little cheaper come BF[/QUOTE]

fuck that. I'm not gonna wait in line with 100 to wait for my hacking.

I'll go against the flow and try not being a dick about this:
Thanks for trying to let fellow gamers know about a really shitty situation. EA is certainly not going to publicize it but this is a real problem (my nephew's uncle's dog had his account hax0red) so its an important PSA and at least your heart was in the right spot with even if your post is in the wrong *GASP GASP!* section of the forum.

I posted about this same thing in the other forum a few days ago. I'm 99% sure in my case it was that I linked mass effect to my gamertag and thats how it ended up being compromised. I did however mention a few "legal" details that microsoft is required to follow by federal law to follow and had my case resolved in 3 days compared to the months that other people are reporting and claiming.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Has this happened on PSN as well? So far I've only read about XBL incidents[/QUOTE]

Think it's only on Xbox. Read somewhere that MS tried doing something with account transferring in Europe and hackers found an exploit.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Has this happened on PSN as well? So far I've only read about XBL incidents[/QUOTE]

I have only read about xbl incidents as well but I figured I would warn PSN users as well since their information could be compromised as well.

It seems everyone who has been hijacked recently has an EA Sports game and the purchases usually include EA sports content, mainly UT packs for Fifa 11 and 12.

I really don't care about it being made fun of for being in the wrong section because this needs to reach people fast! This ruined my day and I really wanna prevent it from doing the same to anyone else.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']So i'm guessing if you don't have credit card information tied to your account your safe?[/QUOTE]

Yeah if your paypal or cc info isn't on your account then you are good to go on any billing hassles.

They can still play your account though if your info isn't changed, I logged on to 2 new achievements from FIFA 11 as well my paypal chargers. The guy at MS even said "well on the bright side you have two new achievements" which did not help the situation anymore.

I thought Live is safe since you have to pay for the service. I'm a Silver member so I have no CC info on file. For PSN, everything is done via PSN cards, the most they can take from me is $20 something bucks and the address is not even real :lol:

How do they get PayPal info from Live or PSN? It's not even linked...

[quote name='Lyricsborn']So i'm guessing if you don't have credit card information tied to your account your safe?[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily they used all the points I had on my account for packs and then moved on because the card I put on file was a card I canceled years ago because it was on my xbox live and they made it impossible to remove.

Had this happen back in July. I don't think I had an EA sports account tied to xbl, but I might have through Mass Effect or something. They used up about 3200 Microsoft points and charged $100 more on my credit card, buying fifa packs. Microsoft finally refunded everything after I reopened the case a second time. The first time they didn't refund any points, and only refunded $20.

[quote name='Serpentor']I thought Live is safe since you have to pay for the service. I'm a Silver member so I have no CC info on file. For PSN, everything is done via PSN cards, the most they can take from me is $20 something bucks and the address is not even real :lol:

How do they get PayPal info from Live or PSN? It's not even linked...[/QUOTE]

You have the option to make purchases through paypal, which I did to order the $1 for 1 month dashboard deal and did not remove it from my account right away since you have to call customer support and I was being lazy.

[quote name='Serpentor']I thought Live is safe since you have to pay for the service. I'm a Silver member so I have no CC info on file. For PSN, everything is done via PSN cards, the most they can take from me is $20 something bucks and the address is not even real :lol:

How do they get PayPal info from Live or PSN? It's not even linked...[/QUOTE]

The big difference here is that the PSN hack was very public, while MS is trying to keep this under wraps. Plus, the PSN hack was pretty much everyone at the same time while here it's just picking away at customers little by little. Think of it this way: look at all the people that have gotten hacked on CAG along. Imagine if EVERYONE that got hacked in the last few months posted on the same forum.

[quote name='msdmoney']Had this happen back in July. I don't think I had an EA sports account tied to xbl, but I might have through Mass Effect or something. They used up about 3200 Microsoft points and charged $100 more on my credit card, buying fifa packs. Microsoft finally refunded everything after I reopened the case a second time. The first time they didn't refund any points, and only refunded $20.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think its actually an EA account now that I read more about it on the internet.

[quote name='Got_Wii']Do not create threads to ask a question. Do not post your own affiliate links. Only post specific video game deals![/QUOTE] maybe op is color blind

[quote name='shadowkast']maybe op is color blind[/QUOTE]

Isn't not getting your account phished due to EA a good enough deal? It's very YMMV but still lol.

Happened to me. Caught him withing 45 min of him getting control and buying. Got my $ back in less than 48hrs. Microsoft gave me my money back before the transaction was even processed so i could dispute it with my bank.

[quote name='bob_793']Happened to me. Caught him withing 45 min of him getting control and buying. Got my $ back in less than 48hrs. Microsoft gave me my money back before the transaction was even processed so i could dispute it with my bank.[/QUOTE]

Did you have to do anything afterwards in order to keep the person from returning to try and buy more? Or do we not really know whether changing Xbox or EA passwords even helps keep them out?

This is happening to a ton of people, including myself, but it's not just EA accounts.

I don't have one and got hacked--spent 1200 points on Rift (didn't charge anything to my CC as I was home and got the e-mail and got the account closed quickly) and migrated my damn account to Russia.

The CS rep I spoke to said they're having the EA hacking issue, but also a problem with hackers exploiting a new program in Europe that allows accounts to be migrated from one country to another (so people can have their account in their native language/region if they move to another country). Hackers found a way to exploit that and migrate other people's accounts to their country without even recovering the gamertag to their console (my gamertag account never left my console, but my account is set in Russia now, Dashboard is in Russian etc.).

So in short they're just getting nailed by hackers on multiple fronts right now. They really should probably just take it down for a while and fix it like Sony did with the PSN.

They've clearly got a huge backlog as I called on Tuesday and my account still hasn't been suspended to be investigated yet--only the purchasing is locked. They couldn't suspend it instantly from their system, has to be done manually since it got migrated to another country. And there's a long queue of accounts in the same status.

EDIT: Actually I do have an EA account, the mention of Mass Effect above reminded me I have one for Bioware for that and Dragon Age. Went and changed my password there as well just now. Still didn't have any Fifa charges or achievements though, and my gamertag never left my console, so I don't think that was how I was hacked.

I find the people spazzing about wrong forum really funny. It's a public forum, it's not like op took a crap in your living room instead of your bathroom.

[quote name='omgoblins']I find the people spazzing about wrong forum really funny. It's a public forum, it's not like op took a crap in your living room instead of your bathroom.[/QUOTE]

lol thank you

So i called xbox live, waited an hour to get someone on the phone, just to bitch to some poor customer service rep how fucked up it is that xbox isn't keeping this so quiet and even though the guy played dumb at first he did admit to me that he knew what I was talking about and that people were working on it.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Did you have to do anything afterwards in order to keep the person from returning to try and buy more? Or do we not really know whether changing Xbox or EA passwords even helps keep them out?[/QUOTE]
I changed my XBL pass and shut down my CC I apparently had on my account. Haven't had a problem sense.

Good to hear bob, yeah ive already told all of my buddies with ea games to do the same.

For the people who aren't worried because they don't have credit card info on the account, you should still probably change your password because I was at work reading xbox forums pretty much all day yesterday and saw many accounts had been migrated to russia, and getting them back at that point is 1,000,000x worse than trying to settle a paypal dispute. People have been sitting there for 3 months with nothing that can be done for them. It's horrible.

Does anyone have a contact number for EA?

The a-hole that ripped me off and took over 3k worth of points and bought another 3200 got in through my EA acct and changed the email address and migrated it...

I really hope I get my pts and money back but more that XBL catches these SOB's!!

[quote name='GUNNM']You gotta call MS not EA.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I already have...I also need to call EA bc the a-hole who hacked me stole my EA info and changed all my acct info and now has everything I have put into EA.

Maybe I could have explained better but I'm pretty ticked off right now that I am out $ and out my Live acct for a month or more

[quote name='mrright4you4now']I posted about this same thing in the other forum a few days ago. I'm 99% sure in my case it was that I linked mass effect to my gamertag and thats how it ended up being compromised. I did however mention a few "legal" details that microsoft is required to follow by federal law to follow and had my case resolved in 3 days compared to the months that other people are reporting and claiming.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you fill us in on these legal details so we can get a quicker resolution.

bread's done
Back