To Opteron or not?

uli2000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
After picking up a smoking deal on a sli motherboard, Ive pretty much got everything I need for my new rig, except ram (hoping for a crazy sale/rebate like everyone was offering 2-3 months ago) and a CPU. I was going to get a x2 4200 or 4400, but today I was doing a little reading on opteron 165's. Seems like in alot of cases you can OC the hell out of them with basic cooling (Im planning on going good aftermarket air cooling like a zalman or something, no water cooling). The Opty is designed for buisness applications (servers, CAD, video, ect) so would that translate to gaming performance? Anyone use one? Opinons?

I would say no... Generally things designed for server/corporate/enterprise/workstation usage are very powerful and expensive, but perform poorly in games compared to cheaper customer grade items.

Nvidia's Quadro line is a good example of this. They're $1500 graphics cards and they can hardly run Doom 3. Their programmed for CAD and other such media intensive apps.

Although, I don't have much hands on with the Opteron, so take that with a grain of salt. I see a lot of people wanting to get them just for their overclocking potential. I'd go with whatever is within your price range. I have a x2 4200 and it OCs to 2.5 from 2.2 with stock cooling no problem. (the x2 4800 ships clocked at 2.4 :cool: ) I could probably push it even higher, but since the HTT ties the clock rate of the CPU to the RAM, it over loads my cheep ram. =(

thanks for the info. I totaly forgot about those mega bucks openGL cards that cant do shit for gaming. probably the same with the opty. Think Ill stick with a x2 of some flavor.

Opertons are really good CPU's. They actually raised the prices on them and cut the prices on the x2's a few months ago because people were buying them over instead of the x2's. From what I have read the 146 and the 165's seem like the most popular.

They also cut the X2s because Intel is low balling them with the Core Duos.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Opertons are really good CPU's. They actually raised the prices on them and cut the prices on the x2's a few months ago because people were buying them over instead of the x2's. From what I have read the 146 and the 165's seem like the most popular.[/quote]

For gaming, the processor doesn't matter as much during higher resolutions. The processor helps more for lower resolutions while the GPU helps in higher resolutions.

I can run nearly game maxed out, with 16x antisoptric filtering, no AA, simulated HDR (since I don't have SM3 with my GPU) @ 1680x1050 with everything going a smooth 30-60 fps, and rarely falling below 30 fps. About the only games that I can't run maxed are FEAR and Oblivion but even still, I can run those two fairly high.

Believe it or not, I get worse performance running at really low resolutions.:lol:

So get a 4200 or 4400 and beef up on the GPU.

[quote name='Kayden']They also cut the X2s because Intel is low balling them with the Core Duos.[/QUOTE]

This was before the core duo's came out and Intel only had the pentium D's on the market. I forgot it has been a while since the core duo price cuts went into effect.

bread's done
Back