Today was an awesome day to go to the mall

varsitygamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I woke up this morning and decided it was high time I got an Xbox 360. Recently, I'd been flipping a bunch of games in order to acquire enough trade-in credit for one. So today, with that in mind, I began my search for a "Used Wired Controller 360 System" ($189.99) by calling around local EB's and GameStops.

No luck. I called 8 EB/GS stores and not one of them had the used system I was looking for. I didn't particularly feel like paying $229.99 (forty bucks more) for a "Used Wireless Controller 360 System." Since I worked at one of the 2 stores in my own mall, I didn't bother to call either, and instead decided maybe I should just head over.

First stop was the GameStop in the mall, the "other" store which I never worked in. I stopped in, asked if they happened to have any used 360s and... hark! They had one of each! I asked if I could check out the wired controller version, and the guy said absolutely, heading into the back to find it. He dug it out, cut it open (it looked like it had been shipped to them from corporate), and pulled it out for me. Pristine. Immaculate. It still had the plastic seal on the DVD drive and over the infrared receiver! I popped off the faceplate and, sure enough, the Microsoft seal was intact inside. It's a core to be certain, white dvd-drive (which is awesome and flush and i def. prefer it over chrome), and it was almost as if it had never been used. Well without a second more of hesitation, i threw my edge card on the counter and asked him to ring me out.

Well, flying high, I decided to check out the FYE in the mall. As I entered I struck up a conversation with the lady behind the counter, who eventually made some lament about Wii games. "We don't carry them," she says. But why, I wondered. "Soon we won't carry any videogames, too much competition in this mall." I prodded further, discovering that my FYE is going to be clearancing out all of their videogames in the near future. Suffice to say, I was excited to hear that I will soon be able to walk into FYE and walk out with games 40% cheaper than sticker price!

Still reeling from my awesome 360 score, and with the FYE scuttlebutt fresh in mind, I headed over to the EB I used to work at. As I entered, the guys behind the counter remarked loudly, "You got one!?" "Finally!" Then their eyes lit up. "Oh man! Did you buy that today? You have to go to the customer service desk and tell them you spent over 50$." But why, I wondered?

As it turns out, any purchase over 50$ this week gets you a free Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Sundae from the B&J in the mall. Free ice cream. fuck. What an awesome trip to the mall.

To recap:
- Practically (very possibly) brand new Core 360 for $201.39
- Inside scoop on upcoming FYE throw-down
- FREE fuckING ICE CREAM SUNDAE

That's good for you- even though F.Y.E. usually makes me feel queasy, once in a while you find some gems there(Mario Power Tennis and Mario Party 7 for $14.99).

[quote name='Tsukento']Wait...how did you use your Edge card on the 360? I thought used systems didn't apply towards the card. o_o[/QUOTE]

His store credit was on the card

[quote name='monkeydeew']i scored a used psp players pak w/o screen protector for 5 bucks today. pretty good mall score too imo[/QUOTE]

hey good deal! can't beat 5 bucks.

For the record, I hooked up my core 360 and I'm fairly convinced it was never even used. I had to do the system format thing you go through the first time you boot up... and I got a free 30 day Gold live sub. Don't ask me why they would have sold me a new system sans packaging as used, but it seems possible. Regardless, I'm ecstatic with this score and I downloaded a bunch of demos today, and hopped on Halo 2 for the first time since I sold my original xbox. It's good to be back.

SNKMat, I'll be sure to add you next time I'm on.

If anyone would like to add me, my gamertag is DinosaurLover

[quote name='varsitygamer']I woke up this morning and decided it was high time I got an Xbox 360. Recently, I'd been flipping a bunch of games in order to acquire enough trade-in credit for one. So today, with that in mind, I began my search for a "Used Wired Controller 360 System" ($189.99) by calling around local EB's and GameStops.

No luck. I called 8 EB/GS stores and not one of them had the used system I was looking for. I didn't particularly feel like paying $229.99 (forty bucks more) for a "Used Wireless Controller 360 System." Since I worked at one of the 2 stores in my own mall, I didn't bother to call either, and instead decided maybe I should just head over.

First stop was the GameStop in the mall, the "other" store which I never worked in. I stopped in, asked if they happened to have any used 360s and... hark! They had one of each! I asked if I could check out the wired controller version, and the guy said absolutely, heading into the back to find it. He dug it out, cut it open (it looked like it had been shipped to them from corporate), and pulled it out for me. Pristine. Immaculate. It still had the plastic seal on the DVD drive and over the infrared receiver! I popped off the faceplate and, sure enough, the Microsoft seal was intact inside. It's a core to be certain, white dvd-drive (which is awesome and flush and i def. prefer it over chrome), and it was almost as if it had never been used. Well without a second more of hesitation, i threw my edge card on the counter and asked him to ring me out.

Well, flying high, I decided to check out the FYE in the mall. As I entered I struck up a conversation with the lady behind the counter, who eventually made some lament about Wii games. "We don't carry them," she says. But why, I wondered. "Soon we won't carry any videogames, too much competition in this mall." I prodded further, discovering that my FYE is going to be clearancing out all of their videogames in the near future. Suffice to say, I was excited to hear that I will soon be able to walk into FYE and walk out with games 40% cheaper than sticker price!

Still reeling from my awesome 360 score, and with the FYE scuttlebutt fresh in mind, I headed over to the EB I used to work at. As I entered, the guys behind the counter remarked loudly, "You got one!?" "Finally!" Then their eyes lit up. "Oh man! Did you buy that today? You have to go to the customer service desk and tell them you spent over 50$." But why, I wondered?

As it turns out, any purchase over 50$ this week gets you a free Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Sundae from the B&J in the mall. Free ice cream. fuck. What an awesome trip to the mall.

To recap:
- Practically (very possibly) brand new Core 360 for $201.39
- Inside scoop on upcoming FYE throw-down
- FREE fuckING ICE CREAM SUNDAE[/quote]

that will bring the price a bit over msrp.they charge 52.99 for jsrf :roll:

lol...thats some string of good luck

getting a core 360 marked used but ends up being new? great
getting a inside scoop on the soon-to-come fye deals? not too shabby
getting a free ben and jerry's ice cream along with everything else? KILLER!!!

i am guessing the system was refurbished, which is cool, because it sounds like it might have been refurbed for something really minor, like something screwy with a controller port or some such.

excellent score. i dont have fye here anymore, but i thought all of their junk was overpriced.

Update:

As I was informed, the videogame clearance began today at FYE. 30% off games and accessories, 10% of hardware... both of which stacked with the backstage pass. And so, I picked up (so far):

Gears of War (360).........59.99 - 18.00 (30%) = 41.99 - 4.20 (10%) = 37.79

Xbox Live Vision Kit.........79.99 - 24.00 (30%) = 55.99 - 5.60 (10%) = 50.39 - 15.12 (30%) = 35.27

Subtotal - $73.06
after tax (6%) - $77.44

As you can see, they applied TWO thirty percent discounts to the Xbox Live Vision Kit. They were marked differently on the receipt... one was labeled identical to the 30% discount I received on GoW, and one was labeled something to the effect of "accessory discount"... so don't ask me. Even the cashier girl was like "Ohh wow and it's on sale." I'll get a scan of the receipt up at some point if i can. And I know I didn't get a killer deal on Gears, but i had a 50 dollar gift card, which made it just over 25 bucks out of pocket. I'm not disappointed in the least, and I plan on heading back over maybe to score some live point cards while they have them.

fuck, i wonder if I could have gotten free ice cream today too...

[quote name='Kueller']So you didn't buy a hard drive for that Core?[/QUOTE]

I thought I had mentioned it in the OP, but i guess i didn't. I got a Hard Drive in like new condition from a guy on craigslist.... $35.00 cash.

So I'm all set.

Yeah, there's a good chance that you got a refurb, but at least it's fixed. Hopefully it was fixed recently and has the newer heatsink.

[quote name='varsitygamer']I thought I had mentioned it in the OP, but i guess i didn't. I got a Hard Drive in like new condition from a guy on craigslist.... $35.00 cash.

So I'm all set.[/QUOTE]

I figured you'd gotten it somehow becaus eyou wouldn't have been able to play Halo 2 otherwise. Still, that's a pretty awesome catch. I did something similar when I got my 360, except it was a few months ago and the price was a little higher. Still, got a refurbed core with a wireless controller for 260 ($10 more than the wired price at the time) and a hard drive online for 50. It broke in the first week and I took it back and got a replacement, and what do you know, the replacement was a refurb with the new heatsink. And that shit is still under warranty from MS. It's great.

bread's done
Back