Tokyo Beat Down

Rei no Otaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blWGpM-MNWo

Just got an email from Atlus announcing this game. It looks pretty damn badass. Kind of looks like Yakuza, but more of a straight beat-em up. I'm definitely looking forward to this!

This sordid tale of Tokyo's criminal set unfolds through the eyes of three different cops with unique play styles. Story branches lead to multiple endings that determine whether you'll get your shot to beat down the ultimate crime boss. That's right, boys and girls, multiple characters and endings.

This is arcade beat 'em up action at its finest. Hurl enemies into each other, chain together combos, execute special moves and throws, and then let loose on your foes with an arsenal of firearms, ranging from the small to the obscenely large. (Rocket launcher, anyone?) Your enemies don't just die; they flicker into nonexistence. That's right, they flicker! Let the cool rush of nostalgia sweep over you like a river of sweet, sweet gaming refreshment.

What do you do when thugs and hoodlums put peace and freedom in jeopardy? When the streets are overrun with the worst sort of scum? When the city's most feared villains seek to rise to power? YOU BEAT THEM DOWN

Tokyo Beat Down is set to be unleashed on March 10, 2009 with an MSRP of $29.99.

I wouldn't let the 6.5 - 7.0ish score it's averaging bring you down, we all knew what this was going to be when we first saw it: a game that doesn't try to pull off anything amazing or genre revolutionizing, but is there to entertain us with its quirkiness and become a personal favorite of ours, just like all those greatly rewatchable two out of four star Jackie Chan movies.

With that said, I'm a real cheapskate, so I'm waiting for this to drop to $20.

whooo! beat it last nite!!

gameplay is very mediocre and repetitive, the character is so huge so he has like 3 feet of vertical space to maneuver, and the controls are kinda unresponsive.

that doesnt really make the game bad tho. If you enjoy old final fight & streets of rage type games you will definitely enjoy this as I did.

the combat is actually real broken tho... once u learn not to knock down enemies u can continue to pummel them to death. This actually makes the game real easy.

couple that with a very enjoyable story line and the game is basically sit back and enjoy the ride style.

I recommend the game for anybody who likes simple beat em ups and wants to enjoy a fun story.

[quote name='JEKKI']whooo! beat it last nite!!

gameplay is very mediocre and repetitive, the character is so huge so he has like 3 feet of vertical space to maneuver, and the controls are kinda unresponsive.

that doesnt really make the game bad tho. If you enjoy old final fight & streets of rage type games you will definitely enjoy this as I did.

the combat is actually real broken tho... once u learn not to knock down enemies u can continue to pummel them to death. This actually makes the game real easy.

couple that with a very enjoyable story line and the game is basically sit back and enjoy the ride style.

I recommend the game for anybody who likes simple beat em ups and wants to enjoy a fun story.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the review.

I think I'll way till GS used if ever possible to find in stores to go

Well, the game is decent. The main problem I have with it so far is that the camera view is ment to be like Double Dragon, but the camera is lower so it's hard to tell where you are on the level so it's hard for you to hit enemies.

Also, I'm writing up a review for this game soon.

This is a decent game mostly because of the story, which is probably not a good thing for beat-'em-ups. At least half of your time playing the game is story, which is probably 4-5 hours total. The gameplay's broken with no real challenge with Lewis's grab move. The game promises multiple endings but no real way to know when you're doing something that changes it, so you as likely to get the real ending as a fake ending. I ended up running into the fake ending as I
fought a boss that you thought was behind the whole thing before he reveals that he's just a hired gun for the real guy that's behind all of the chaos. Credits roll after that realization to give me a big "fuck you" message.

Beating the game just seems to let you play through it again with the chance to change things at whatever stupid point changes what you see, so you can't skip to the crucial spots or anything like that. It's not worth playing through again for whatever miniscule things that could have been done differently.

how did u do that?? all I got was a good ending. o_O I seriously have no idea how to unlock other ones, but yes I dont think I would play thru again jus to achieve them.

and the funny thing is... there is no listing for this game on amazon's trade-in site. And I really wanted sum credit to buy DJ max Fever...

xycury>> no difficulty settings... at least I dont think so. The game is real easy tho, and apparently if u side track u can find items that boost both your offense and defense. Yeay, as if the game wasnt easy enough.

once u beat the game, you can save your file and play the game however u like since the game does have a stage select option within one of the hub menus.

bread's done
Back