Tom Brokaw says blogs & video games are cancerous.

SL4IN

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
from Kotaku:

« || next »
Dinosaurs Tom Brokaw Deems Blogs, Video Games "Cancerous"

tom_brokaw_thinks.jpg
A recent interview with Tom Brokaw conducted by Hugh Hewitt on Townhall.com reveals that the retired newscaster supported his former network's decision to air Virginia Tech murderer Cho Seung Hui's videotaped hate-filled monologue. He wasn't concerned about a series of imitators who might also want their hundreds of hours of airtime. No, he was concerned about, of course, video games. Brokaw pointed to games and, curiously, blogs as "cancerous." His full comment on two of the 21st century horsemen of the apocalypse is better in context.
HH: NBC ran the Virginia Tech killer tape on the day they obtained it. Steve Capus, Brian Williams made that decision. Did they make the right decision? TB: Yeah, they did.
HH: Do you not think it's going to incite other people to try to do the same thing?
TB: No, I don't. I think...to get back to something we were talking about earlier in general thematic terms, I don't think we're doing a very good job about talking about violence in this country, either. You know, Virginia Tech went away. We didn't have any ongoing dialogue in our communities or on the air about the corrosive effect of violence. It was not what he, what people saw of him on the air that will drive them, it's what they read in blog sites, and what they see in video games. It's that kind of stuff that I think is cancerous. And I'm a free speech absolutist, but I think that at the same time, we have to have free speech in some kind of a context. And part of that context is a discussion of the possible effects of it.
One might wonder, in light of Omaha mall shooter Robert Hawkins wishes to "go out in style", boasting in his suicide note that "just think tho I'm gonna be fuckin' famous", that the promise of having one's life dissected on broadcast television might have been influential on Hawkins interest in murdering eight people before his suicide. Hey, that's just me speculating. Perhaps if I had were a bit more of a wrinkly, silver-haired dinosaur, fumbling through a world I don't understand, like many video game critics, I'd be able to better understand the "context" of the situation.
Sorry, but there's little more I can add without letting loose with a string of expletives and looking forward to the passing of a generation of confused Luddites who divert blame from some of the world's genuine problems.
Ultimately, though, if Brokaw's right, the lot of Kotaku readers are totally screwed, basking in the carcinogenic rays of video games and blog posts. Sorry for causing you to die early, dear readers, if so.

Originally from gamepolitics.com at Tom Brokaw: Airing VA Tech Killer Videos Okay, But Blogs, Video Games "Cancerous"

I agree with McWhertor on this one. how can in the society we live where killers are out to get attention (the recent mall killer that killed 8 then took his own life and wrote "just think, I'll be fucking famous" in his suicide letter) Brokaw say that video games and blogs are the root of violence? If this is true, then god help our generation where more than 50% of teens are on myspace 24 hours a day. How long will it be till they finally crack and go on killing sprees?

Discuss

Just consider the source, being Tom Brokaw, and you'll realize he had no credibility left anyways after manufacturing news in the 04 election.

If you acknowledge idiots like this, then you're giving his views credibility. Just my .02

When the tech nerds and gamers get into position to effectively counter act this bullshit, the wolrd will be a better place. With faster respawn times and no lag.

Once the older generation dies off, there will be no more talk of video games being bad for society.

Someone in the traditional news media is frightened by blogs, and how they lead to the diminishing need for network news and 24 hour news channels?

ALERT THE PRESS!!!!

[quote name='gokou36']Hearing his voice is cancerous[/quote]

Haha, I was just thinking that.

[quote name='Xevious']Once the older generation dies off, there will be no more talk of video games being bad for society.[/quote]

...just like it worked for rock music and movies.

Nowait

[quote name='camoor']...just like it worked for rock music and movies.

Nowait[/QUOTE]
It DID work for music and movies. Have you heard ANY outcry over movies like Hostel and Saw? I sure as hell haven't.

How about even the tamest, most mainstream rappers (like Kanye West) regularly talking about doing hard drugs and pimping and objectifying women in the basest way possible, while spewing more F-bombs than Joe Pesci suffering an attack of tourettes? There's hardly ANY outcry over that anymore, at least in the mainstream.

Anyways, on the subject of Tom Brokaw, he has lost any and all credibility already. fuck Tom Brokaw.

It was not what he, what people saw of him on the air that will drive them, it's what they read in blog sites, and what they see in video games.
Ah! I get it! It's not being social outcasts and emotionally unbalanced and psychologically disturbed that drives people to violence, it's VIDEOGAMES! But of course! That's why, before blogs and videogames, everything was in peaceful harmony and birds chirped and everywhere you looked was a double-rainbow!

no one takes this serious, you think a billion dollar industry is going to fold and go home, just because Tom brokaw said it was cancerous... please

[quote name='mykevermin']Someone in the traditional news media is frightened by blogs, and how they lead to the diminishing need for network news and 24 hour news channels?

ALERT THE PRESS!!!![/quote]

:D

[quote name='Thomas96']no one takes this serious, you think a billion dollar industry is going to fold and go home, just because Tom brokaw said it was cancerous... please[/quote]

QFT

[quote name='mykevermin']Someone in the traditional news media is frightened by blogs, and how they lead to the diminishing need for network news and 24 hour news channels?

ALERT THE PRESS!!!![/QUOTE]

They did..their reaction was.."Blogs and VideoGames are cancerous! And itsn't it about time YOU started receiving the NEW Wall Street Journal for only .14 cents a day? Now with increased use of Emoticons!"

[quote name='Thomas96']no one takes this serious, you think a billion dollar industry is going to fold and go home, just because Tom brokaw said it was cancerous... please[/QUOTE]

The only risk this runs is that a bunch of silver-hairs are going to read his comments and get their 12 year old grandson a wooden train set instead of that Wii they had in the closet for him at xmas time.

[quote name='HeadRusch']The only risk this runs is that a bunch of silver-hairs are going to read his comments and get their 12 year old grandson a wooden train set instead of that Wii they had in the closet for him at xmas time.[/QUOTE]

Whenever a business gets too big, that's when people start looking at it, and trying to find something wrong. Grandpa may speak negatively about games, but that 12 year old si still gonna get that game system. By now every kid, has already put in thir orders for chrismas. [One of my coworkers children told his her " ma you at work making money so you can buy us a Playstation 3"]

Cigarettes actually do kill people, and they're still here!

bread's done
Back