Tomato Bug!

modium

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So, being the wonderful son that I am, I bought my Mom, among other things, some Golden Helga Garden Mums for her birthday, which was Tuesday. They're flowers, for the laypeople reading. So, everything's cool, she's been watering them everyday, giving them sun. After she leaves to run some errands today, I go to get something from the kitchen and I see a big white ball of fluff. I'm thinking it's a dandelion of some sort, but upon closer inspection, it's a gigantic caterpillar.

Fast-forward a little while, she comes home and I show her. We decide to call up the florist where I bought it and see if it's harmful, since Wikipedia failed me, and upon telling the florist that it was a big white caterpillar, he promptly screamed "KILL IT!" He calmed down a bit and told us it's a tomato bug, and that it's extremely dangerous and WILL bite, so we need rubber gloves, a tin can and some lighter fluid, to burn the little bastard. I wouldn't normally advocate it, I'd rather set him free in his natural habitat, but apparently, he's a dangerous predator and must be exterminated. We're supposed to check the plant for small eggs, and we're seeing a ton of them, so we're going to hit up the florist and have him check the plant for us, since we don't trust ourselves with the task of exterminating such a threat to our American Freedom!

I'll keep everyone on CAG updated thoughout the whole ordeal with pictures and movies! And before anyone complains, I've seen much worse posted in terms of topics, so shush. :lol:

googled!

Heliothislarva1.jpg

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research/biodiversity/invertebratesprog/invertid/bug_details.asp?Bu_Id=196

how big was the tomato bug? it sounds pretty nasty :lol:

I have evil little bastards on my Hibiscus. Maybe they are the Tomato Bug's cousins?

Dippel Dust kills 'em dead. Muahahahaha.

They eat all the damned buds.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']That is some scary shit. I await a continuation to this story.[/QUOTE]Talk about anticlimactic. We burned the cute lil' fella and simply exchanged the plant. We put the, er, caterpillar corpse in the trunk of the car. Halfway down the road, I expected to see it pop open in the rear view mirror. I mean, this whole situation just screams sci-fi story. Alas, it fizzled out pretty quick. It was pretty hilarious while it lasted though.

I'm working on pics, because it looked nothing like the tomato bugs that I saw on Google. This one was long, white and extremely hairy.

So...All it does is bite you, I would of diced the thing into bits and fried it in a pan...and the eggs would be staring down the end of a an M80 in a tin full of Lighter fluid

[quote name='Ozzkev55']So...All it does is bite you, I would of diced the thing into bits and fried it in a pan...and the eggs would be staring down the end of a an M80 in a tin full of Lighter fluid[/QUOTE]

no no, it gives you herpes too.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']So...All it does is bite you, I would of diced the thing into bits and fried it in a pan...and the eggs would be staring down the end of a an M80 in a tin full of Lighter fluid[/QUOTE]Serious answer: The thing about them is that they're not affected by poisonous substances, so they can eat stuff all day long. But if you get bitten or if something eats them, then the poison can be transferred, so it's a tricky situation. As for the eggs, I wouldn't trust myself with such a dangerous task!

Other answer: Rock on dude! We totally nuked that fucker in the backyard!

bread's done
Back