Tomb Raider 9 (TBA) | 12 Jul. '09: Leaked Concept Art, Fact Sheet

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
001bvx.jpg

The Plot - When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden of the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her determination, inner strength, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past. As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.
002kaq.jpg

Hunt or Be Hunted - Evade outsmart, track and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.

Survival Action - Brutally attack and defend as you fight to survive through visceral one on one melee combat.

Strategic Weapons - Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns and the hunters ultimate weapon, the bow.

Creative Survival - React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.

Free Movement - Scale up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid air to land a misdirected jump there is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.

One Cohesive World - The diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather and natural events.

Origin Story
- This new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring the origins of Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.
003yxw.jpg

Source: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_next_tomb_raider_will_be_open_world-8240_en.html

The only thing they need to do with Tomb Raider is make Lara Croft likable. Oh, and make it about 75% less glitchy.

Concept art always looks promising, this is no exception. Brutal machete.

The targeted M-rating and new face looks like this'll be a bigger reboot than the last attempt that started with Tomb Raider: Legend. Subconsciously wishing for it be an Uncharted clone.

see, the sad thing is that they would probably attract more people if this was an original title as opposed to tacking on the tomb raider name. i'm sure an established franchise name is attractive to all of those clueless business types at the top of the chain, but more people are against this game because it's tomb raider than there are for it.

Tomb Raider is a series that's in serious need of a revamp... kind of like how RE4 completely changed the RE series. But I don't see it happening. Legend and Anniversary were good but they didn't really revamp the series as much as they just took it back to its roots. And Underworld basically showed how aged the TR formula has become.

Uncharted has basically upstaged TR and with Uncharted 2 looking as amazing as it does, I doubt the TR series can be a serious comeback.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Concept art always looks promising, this is no exception. Brutal machete.

The targeted M-rating and new face looks like this'll be a bigger reboot than the last attempt that started with Tomb Raider: Legend. Subconsciously wishing for it be an Uncharted clone.[/QUOTE] Uncharted clone?

If anything Dude Raider is the clone.

Anyways, this looks and sounds awesome. I hope they full it off. I really do.

Well it seems Tomb Raider is now being heavily influenced by Uncharted. A few bullet points mentioned here are what Uncharted is hoping to sell on.

Although, I'm not sure why they're going with a Bow & Arrow.

And I'm serious about Naughty Dog making a deal and getting Laura Croft as a character in the Uncharted universe. Like in Uncharted 3, she is one of the main characters along side Nate. I'm pretty sure it is possible... I'll get to work on it.

Everyone keeps throwing out Uncharted as the final word on Tomb Raider, but I found the games to be deceptively dissimilar. I don't think Uncharted is as much of a Tomb Raider substitute as everyone makes it out to be. They have similar premises and mechanics, but I found Uncharted focuses on and excels at combat and story, while Tomb Raider (at least Underworld) focuses on exploration and puzzles. The Tomb Raider story just frankly sucks, and the combat is boring, but I found that Uncharted lacked exploration or interesting puzzles. If they could marry the two games together they would have a great game.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']@Persona7
Uncharted was more heavily influenced by Indiana Jones than by Tomb Raider.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough but I saw tons of tomb raider in uncharted.

Without TR uncharted would have not been made.

Prove me wrong.

I can imagine how this was pitched

"It's Lost meets Resident Evil, with Lara Croft"

It could be good but those enemies look like they'd be more suited to Silent Hill. TBH I can see myself picking this up off the Clearance shelf in Target at some point in the future.

[quote name='Persona7']Uncharted clone?

If anything Dude Raider is the clone.

Anyways, this looks and sounds awesome. I hope they full it off. I really do.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that Dude Raider is actually fun and controls well while Lara hasn't aged so gracefully.

[quote name='bmachine']I really enjoyed the last 3 Tomb Raider games. I would even say that Legend was pretty fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Same here. This really sucks. They're basically saying fuck to royal TR fan base and trying to go after more action oriented gamers.

[quote name='msdmoney']Everyone keeps throwing out Uncharted as the final word on Tomb Raider, but I found the games to be deceptively dissimilar. I don't think Uncharted is as much of a Tomb Raider substitute as everyone makes it out to be. They have similar premises and mechanics, but I found Uncharted focuses on and excels at combat and story, while Tomb Raider (at least Underworld) focuses on exploration and puzzles. The Tomb Raider story just frankly sucks, and the combat is boring, but I found that Uncharted lacked exploration or interesting puzzles. If they could marry the two games together they would have a great game.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much exactly how I feel.

I really like that concept art hopefully they succeed at this. It sounds really good.

Hmm would Tomb Raider fans mind if they added some horror elements?

I remember playing the first ones and thinking "maaan if there was some crazy monsters in these caves I'd brick"

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Looks like Silent Hill concept art. Sounds good. :)[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

Looks like they're trying to appeal to the Resident Evil 4 / Silent Hill fan base.

I wasn't much into Tomb Raider until I played Legend on a whim. Having gone through Underworld and then Anniversary, I can't say this new game looks all that appetizing. I like Tomb Raider for the environmental puzzles. I almost feel like they should try to come up with a way to further pull the emphasis away from combat and make a game where you avoid combat or use the environment to your advantage, as opposed to direct confrontation. That said, I have faith in Crystal Dynamics and the bit about a focus on melee combat sounds interesting...

I keep hearing Legend's good, but I don't know how it stacks up to Underworld, which was pretty good, despite being a glitchy mess.

[quote name='KingBroly']I keep hearing Legend's good, but I don't know how it stacks up to Underworld, which was pretty good, despite being a glitchy mess.[/QUOTE]

Haven't played Underworld, but Legend was very good. A much needed throwback to the original games in the series (to an extent). That's really where the Raider series needs to go. They should go back and play TR 1 and 2 and then basically copy that with updated controls and graphics. There was really a great core game there, but somewhere along the way they have tried to change it too much. Legend tried to get back to that, but then I heard Underworld was a mess and avoided it.

bread's done
Back