Tomb Raider is incredible

EchoedTruth

CAG Newbie
Didn't see a post about it already, so I wanted to express how utterly awesome the new Tomb Raider is. I was a big fan of the original, but didn't care for any of the sequels.. and I loved the Uncharted series. This game IMO makes Uncharted look like child's play. Dark story, best graphics I have ever seen (I mean it), and incredible gameplay. You owe it to yourself to own this game. Easily my favorite game of this gen along with Farcry 3, Ni no Kuni, Deus Ex:HR, and Mortal Kombat. :bouncy: :applause:

[quote name='panzerfaust']It is pretty wild so far, and it looks absolutely stunning on PC.[/QUOTE]

I was floored by the graphics, absolutely floored.

I really wanted to, but I can't afford two $60 games in a month, and there's no way I could skip Bioshock. Really looking forward to it when I've got the time/cash:bouncy:

What's your feel for the replay value thus far? I'm trying to decide whether to get it for PC or PS3 (for trade/resell purposes). If it's something that I would sink many hours into, I'll probably get it on PC as soon as they fix the issues the game is having with Nvidia cards.

[quote name='aheineken']What's your feel for the replay value thus far? I'm trying to decide whether to get it for PC or PS3 (for trade/resell purposes). If it's something that I would sink many hours into, I'll probably get it on PC as soon as they fix the issues the game is having with Nvidia cards.[/QUOTE]

from what I heard on the IGN Live Stream, 14-15 hours is the norm for completing the campaign, but you can spend upwards of 24 collecting and doing tombs. Basically, about as long as Arkham Asylum

[quote name='aheineken']What's your feel for the replay value thus far? I'm trying to decide whether to get it for PC or PS3 (for trade/resell purposes). If it's something that I would sink many hours into, I'll probably get it on PC as soon as they fix the issues the game is having with Nvidia cards.[/QUOTE]

You can go for completion on one save file (100% completion is probably like ~20 hours), meaning you can revisit areas and acquire everything like hidden items, or check out optional tombs (they aren't big, basically a room with a puzzle in it). The game throws enough material and EXP your way that you won't really miss any cool skills, so there isn't that whole "i'll replay the game with different upgrades" kind of value there.

Probably not the most replayable game since it is very scripted and QTE heavy, but you can approach combat in a number of different ways. I'll probably play it twice just because it's that good a game.

If you got a great PC, I'd wait for that NVIDIA patch to hit.

Anyone know what console version is the one to get?

I was thinking of getting it on PC (although not sure how my 5770 will handle it, think I'm at recommended specs) but I figure I'd probably sell it off once I'm done.

Can't believe I'm actually considering getting a game so close to launch :)

[quote name='jkam']Anyone know what console version is the one to get?

I was thinking of getting it on PC (although not sure how my 5770 will handle it, think I'm at recommended specs) but I figure I'd probably sell it off once I'm done.

Can't believe I'm actually considering getting a game so close to launch :)[/QUOTE]

Apparently Microsoft worked closely with Crystal Dynamics, and it was in their E3 conference, so that is what I'd go for. I haven't heard of any downsides to the PS3 version though

I played-through in one sitting yesterday which I almost never do so it was a complete surprise to me quality-wise. I'd even go as far as to say that it's my favorite Tomb Raider game.

My one major gripe is that the optional tombs are a complete joke. As panzerfaust said, they really are one room with one puzzle and then you find a treasure chest to which the UI reacts with a super cheesy display of 'TOMB RAIDED'. (so dumb it does make me laugh each time though)

Either way this is a wonderful base to build a sequel on. I'd like to see them really lean on the open-world and flesh-out the tombs to be more like the original games. This game is way more Uncharted than it is Tomb Raider and I'd prefer more of an even split.

I should also note that I played on PC and didn't experience a single crash or glitch. (latest WHQL nvidia drivers: 314.07 to be exact)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I played-through in one sitting yesterday which I almost never do so it was a complete surprise to me quality-wise. I'd even go as far as to say that it's my favorite Tomb Raider game.

My one major gripe is that the optional tombs are a complete joke. As panzerfaust said, they really are one room with one puzzle and then you find a treasure chest to which the UI reacts with a super cheesy display of 'TOMB RAIDED'. (so dumb it does make me laugh each time though)

Either way this is a wonderful base to build a sequel on. I'd like to see them really lean on the open-world and flesh-out the tombs to be more like the original games. This game is way more Uncharted than it is Tomb Raider and I'd prefer more of an even split.

I should also note that I played on PC and didn't experience a single crash or glitch. (latest WHQL nvidia drivers: 314.07 to be exact)[/QUOTE]

I do agree with the sequel being an open world exploration / puzzle / adventure game, that would be awesome. It definitely has elements of Uncharted to it but IMO it's much better than the UC series (And I played/loved all 3).

OP is my hero. I wanted to make a thread like this but I've actually only played 2 hours of the game so couldn't do it. But yes from what I've played of it, this game is amazing.

I also have fond memories of the original Tomb Raider. It was one of my favorites back in the day. After the series went on I completely lost interest and have barely played any of the sequels. They just weren't very good imo and I couldn't get into them. With this game though I feel like I did with the original. So apparently this is a reboot done right.

I'll be playing through it this weekend more but if it holds up I expect it to be named along side games like Uncharted 2 and Resident Evil 4 in the future as some of the best games of their respective generations. Imo from the first two hours it is probably even better than those games in ways. The gameplay is better than Uncharted, and the controls are much much better than RE4 (though that's not a hard thing to beat).

[quote name='EchoedTruth']I was floored by the graphics, absolutely floored.[/QUOTE]

Yep looks pretty damn good on PC. One thing I noticed though is that there are effects that are present in the PS3 version that aren't in the PC version. There is an area near the beginning where in the PS3 version there is some rainbowy lens flare that isn't present in the PC version.

I was reading about it on Neogaf and it seems there's an issue with the PC version where some of the intended effects don't show.

Regardless the game looks great on both PC and PS3 (I dont have the Xbox version so dont know). The only major differences I immediately notice between PS3/PC is that the hair and the rain effects are obviously better in the PC version. Other than that I honestly did not see any striking differences (though of course the PC version still looks better overall).

[quote name='ShockandAww']OP is my hero. I wanted to make a thread like this but I've actually only played 2 hours of the game so couldn't do it. But yes from what I've played of it, this game is amazing.

I also have fond memories of the original Tomb Raider. It was one of my favorites back in the day. After the series went on I completely lost interest and have barely played any of the sequels. They just weren't very good imo and I couldn't get into them. With this game though I feel like I did with the original. So apparently this is a reboot done right.

I'll be playing through it this weekend more but if it holds up I expect it to be named along side games like Uncharted 2 and Resident Evil 4 in the future as some of the best games of their respective generations. Imo from the first two hours it is probably even better than those games in ways. The gameplay is better than Uncharted, and the controls are much much better than RE4 (though that's not a hard thing to beat).[/QUOTE]
i just hope the game sells well enough, to warrant a sequel.

I guess I should have specified; I'm playing on PS3 (definitely best graphics I've ever seen on it... can't speak for PC) right now. Got the limited edition with the comic book from Best Buy (really cool little package). I originally played Tomb Raider 1 on PS1 so it just feels right. I'll add more as I get further in the game!

dude, dude, the hair on the PC version is beautiful. i dont think i can ever go back to blocky hair.

117FAx900y900.jpg

It reminds me more of Far Cry 3 than it does any of the Uncharted games. Aside from the 1st person/ 3rd person aspect, TR and FC3 are very similar.

[quote name='YBX87']i just hope the game sells well enough, to warrant a sequel.[/QUOTE]

Don't think that's going to be an issue at all. Apparently the game sold a million copies in it's first 2 days.

I honestly expect it to do extremely well because of reviews and people like me who won't shut up about how good the game is :)

[quote name='ShockandAww']Don't think that's going to be an issue at all. Apparently the game sold a million copies in it's first 2 days.

I honestly expect it to do extremely well because of reviews and people like me who won't shut up about how good the game is :)[/QUOTE]

lol yea I'm on a mission to let everyone know how awesome this game is. I had my doubts, but those flew out the window 5 minutes into this game :D

I had a feeling it would be similar to farcry3 and you guys are confirming it. Great, cuz I love farcry. Played it too much though, something like 50 hours. Can't wait to play this game. I think I'll buy it much later on when the price drops or I could redbox it.

I bought a gaming PC rig just for this game lol....well the new videocard I got included this and bioshock infinite....but still.

Looks absolutely beautiful on the PC :D

[quote name='Greybeard']It reminds me more of Far Cry 3 than it does any of the Uncharted games. Aside from the 1st person/ 3rd person aspect, TR and FC3 are very similar.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up today as a buy 2 get 1 at GameStop and was super excited they had it used(was probably stolen from a Walmart because the Walmart exclusive codes are still active) and it was the first of the three I popped in. The above is immediately what I thought with some of the uncharted climbing because its much closer to those climbing sequences than anything tomb raider had done before. Either way, my dad is visiting and said its amazing to watch and I'm very impressed with it as a whole. I haven't played and wanted to finish a tomb raider in probably a decade.

[quote name='Greybeard']It reminds me more of Far Cry 3 than it does any of the Uncharted games. Aside from the 1st person/ 3rd person aspect, TR and FC3 are very similar.[/QUOTE]

It does remind me of FC3 in one respect, but it's not really a flattering comparison. To me, TR falls into the same pitfalls that FC3 did in regard to story: you're supposed to be a survivor, but there's a rather sudden change from that first, life-changing kill to mowing through bad guys. Also, like FC3, I feel like the writers spent all of their time focusing on one interesting character (Lara/Vaas) while forgetting to invest in other characters, and more importantly, a decent story.

Outside of that though, I'd say the closest thing it reminds me of gameplay-wise is Uncharted. Why does it remind you of FC3?

[quote name='Jodou']I'm just going to go ahead and say it: Tomb Raider > Uncharted.[/QUOTE]

A few hours in and I'd agree besides story. Of course I can't say much about my like/dislike for the story for Tomb Raider until it's over.

Damn, people in this thread are easy to please. I found the game to be largely mediocre. I'd give it a 6/10. If this game didn't look as good as it does graphically, I don't think it'd be getting as much praise. Now, mediocre doesn't mean bad, but I find it extremely run of the mill. It doesn't do anything better than other games in the genre.

The game is so linear. There's no exploration whatsoever. It's point A to point B for the whole game. There are no alternate paths.

The Tombs are a complete joke. The game tells you a "secret tomb is nearby." If it's a secret, why am I receiving a message about it? The length/difficulty of the tombs is offensive. There's a whopping eight of them, and every single one of them is less than five minutes long with the most elementary of puzzles. I don't even understand why they're in the game.

Why are there so many QTEs? Why do developers think this is something people want as a game mechanic? I don't mind it every once in a while, but this game goes crazy with it.

These last couple of things are nitpicking, I'll admit that. I don't like that there isn't a sprint button. It feels like Lara moves so slow, most of the time. I don't mind it when sneaking around enemies, but if I want to backtrack to a collectible I missed or something along those lines, I wish I didn't have to casually stroll over to it. In addition to that, the game takes control away from you too often IMO.

The last thing is a spoiler, so I'll tag it.
I despise supernatural bullshit. I didn't like it in Uncharted, and I don't like it here. A magic lightning bolt strikes the plane that is coming to rescue Lara, eh? Can't stand it.

Regarding game length, it's nowhere near as long as some reviewers have stated. I beat it in ~8 hours on normal, getting 75% of the collectibles and completing all the optional tombs.

Good to see some variety, I'm actually surprised that no one else is railing on the game for being so linear. But personally, linear games with a well controlled pace are something I enjoy, so this was a real treat. Some of the QTEs were a bit awkward and I died on a lot of bs button presses, but eh. The shortness of the tombs also took me by surprise but not in a negative or positive way. I was just like oh, these aren't really like tombs in other games...

If you want a game that has nothing going for it but graphics, play Crysis 3. TR is getting all the praise it is because it's a REALLY well-made, fun game. Of course not everything is everyone's cup of tea, but it hardly means the people that do like it are "easy to please".

I borrowed my friend's Steam account to try this out after he said it was great but I didn't feel the desire to keep playing after the first few hours. I thought it was good (but I had to give back his account) but I can't judge the game obviously, but all the fan praise made me wonder if I wasn't accidentally playing another TR game.

I would definitely have to agree that Tomb Raider > Uncharted 2. The only tie between those would be the story, I'd say. I just feel infinitely more immersed in TR than almost any other game I've played. I don't understand people saying it is linear - Tomb Raider was always linear, if anything this is much more of a sandbox than the others. The graphics, gameplay, voice acting, etc... are all magnificent. I never thought I'd see an adventure game top UC2 for me, but this one did it.

P.S. what's with all the people complaining about QTE's? I know they can be annoying, but EVERY game has them nowadays it seems like... and TR does them pretty well imo (the L1 R1 toggle when climbing up the cave in the beginning).

The QTE's start to drop off the further you get into the game and are reserved for when you're bad at game. Speaking of skill, I like how the game gradually unlocks new combos a la Batman and makes the combat really engaging when you're forced into close combat. The more I play this game, the more the success story here is borrowing elements from great franchises and rolling them into one. It could still stand on its own with great level design, but I'm glad they didn't settle for outdated Tomb Raider gameplay as well.

Outside of that though, I'd say the closest thing it reminds me of gameplay-wise is Uncharted. Why does it remind you of FC3?[/QUOTE]

The story is similar to FC3- You and your friends are marooned on a tropical island and you are trying to rescue your friends from mysterious island dwellers. I could go on and on about specifics like the animal hunting and the zip lines but I it seems like it would be quicker to point out the differences. I'm a big fan of both games and I should point out that I'm not quite finished with Tomb Raider.

[quote name='Trakan']If this game didn't look as good as it does graphically, I don't think it'd be getting as much praise. Now, mediocre doesn't mean bad, but I find it extremely run of the mill. It doesn't do anything better than other games in the genre.[/QUOTE] I will say I'm a complete sucker for the graphics and I'm still surprised the PS3 has the power to pull this off.

I disagree though that it does nothing better. The cover system for one is better than most in the genre. You can certainly argue that it's worse too depending on your tastes. Also the collectibles are easily better than Uncharted, though worse than the Arkham games.

I don't know, so far overall I'd put the game ahead of most any 3rd person game except the Arkham series.

[quote name='Trakan']The game is so linear. There's no exploration whatsoever. It's point A to point B for the whole game. There are no alternate paths.

The Tombs are a complete joke. The game tells you a "secret tomb is nearby." If it's a secret, why am I receiving a message about it? The length/difficulty of the tombs is offensive. There's a whopping eight of them, and every single one of them is less than five minutes long with the most elementary of puzzles. I don't even understand why they're in the game.[/QUOTE] Yeah it's relatively linear but still open enough imo (from what I played so far) and there is just enough exploration imo if you go for all the collectibles to not drag it down, but it could have certainly been more rewarding.

The GPS locations so far seem to serve absolutely no purpose? I mean if there had been some system in the game where those GPS coordinates led to some reward, great. But they don't as far as I know. What the hell is up with that?

I've only found one of the secret Tombs, but if all tombs have that pop up I agree it's ridiculous. Don't hold my hand like that when it comes to the small amounts of exploration that are there.

[quote name='Trakan']Why are there so many QTEs? Why do developers think this is something people want as a game mechanic? I don't mind it every once in a while, but this game goes crazy with it.[/QUOTE] Yep probably too many QTEs. I'm not a fan of them besides the ones that feel right like the L1/R1 scrambling one for example. They aren't my biggest pet peeve though either so I can look past them for the most part.

[quote name='Trakan']These last couple of things are nitpicking, I'll admit that. I don't like that there isn't a sprint button. It feels like Lara moves so slow, most of the time. I don't mind it when sneaking around enemies, but if I want to backtrack to a collectible I missed or something along those lines, I wish I didn't have to casually stroll over to it. In addition to that, the game takes control away from you too often IMO.[/QUOTE] I agree there could have been a sprint button because why not, but I think the pace she moves is nearly perfect for me. Maybe just a tiny bit faster at full "sprint" would have been better.

I just finished it today, and I have to say, te QTEs do seem to come up far less frequently. I enjoyed the story more than I thought I would and I enjoyed how they made her slowly become tough as nails.

Ido agree it is jarring how fast she goes from her first kill into slaughtering 10 people in a specific area. But that was probably the most ridiculous feeling instance of it not being cohesive.

The combat was great and I'm really glad that they stuck with 4 main weapons. The only thing I didn't like was you have to unlock the ability to use the utility axe, which I feel like should have been... Easy for her to figure out.

I'm glad the series got away from boss fights and went in the direction of uncharted where there's supernatural elements but they aren't overwhelming or that you're supposed to, for whatever reason, run around shooting a T. rex.

Overall I think it was right up with far cry for me. Last year it was my game of the year because the series never got me interested before and then this installment blew me away. I'd give it an 8/10 and I think I'm actually going to try the multiplayer in a game for once.

i just have a question about this game, I heard that after your beat the single player storyline/ campaign. You can go back and explore/ finish side missions like far cry 3?

[quote name='YBX87']i just have a question about this game, I heard that after your beat the single player storyline/ campaign. You can go back and explore/ finish side missions like far cry 3?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it allows you to finish up whatever you had leftover.

[quote name='EchoedTruth']I don't understand people saying it is linear - Tomb Raider was always linear[/QUOTE]

This game is less linear than Uncharted, which is good. The only thing more linear than Uncharted is Mad Dog McCree.

I think this game turned my girlfriend into a vegetarian. Check out the footage from her first play-through. The part that freaked her out is at 20:19. It's basically just some tutorial spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq5W_NfmQcs

I don't remember the hunting in Red Dead Redemption being this depressing and sad, haha.

[quote name='Spokker']I think this game turned my girlfriend into a vegetarian. Check out the footage from her first play-through. The part that freaked her out is at 20:19. It's basically just some tutorial spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq5W_NfmQcs

I don't remember the hunting in Red Dead Redemption being this depressing and sad, haha.[/QUOTE]
That's some professional capturing.

[quote name='GUNNM']That's some professional capturing.[/QUOTE]

Pretty awesome video... :lol:

Anyhow, I'm wondering if I'm the only one not drinking the Kool-Aid on this new Tomb Raider...?

Don't get me wrong. I think its a good game, at least a 8.0 based upon what I've played so far (If I had to guess I would say I'm halfway through the campaign), but like I said... The lack of tombs (I've done three of the optional ones and the design is really nothing more than a Challenge Room) and the focus of combat over exploration has me disappointed.

It just don't seem like a real TR game. :(

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']
Anyhow, I'm wondering if I'm the only one not drinking the Kool-Aid on this new Tomb Raider...?

It just don't seem like a real TR game. :([/QUOTE]
I think the reason I like it more than I expected is because I wasn't really into the original Tomb Raider series. Maybe I should go back and revisit it, but I remember being turned off by what I felt were bad controls. 3D adventure games on the PS1 never really interested me because they felt so clunky. There was this weird effect on PS1 where when the camera moves in a 3D game, the whole environment seems to shake. I preferred the 2D or 2D/3D hybrid games on PS1, and enjoyed 3D games more on N64, blurry textures and all.

Then again, I didn't shell out the cash for it, my girlfriend bought it on her own, so the disappointment isn't mine if it sucks.

yeah i never enjoyed tomb raider before this one, but i agree it was probably bad word choice on CD's part to call the puzzles "tombs" when returning fans are used to much larger dungeons.

also, just got my review of the game up

I haven't picked this up yet but I noticed a lot of people mentioning the older games and not really playing them. I never got into the PS1 or 2 games and even tried the anniversary remake which I wasn't crazy about. For whatever it's worth I played through Tomb Raider Legend and thought it was fun (probably a good cheap weekend game). Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light although not exactly the same type of game is really well done if you haven't played it it's definitely worth a look.

I dont know I can see if you're a Tomb Raider fan and are expecting to raid some tombs you're likely not going to be thrilled with the game. If you liked Uncharted though and go in expecting Uncharted: Lara Croft edition, then you'll probably like it.

bread's done
Back