Tomb Raider is incredible

[quote name='Trakan']
These last couple of things are nitpicking, I'll admit that. I don't like that there isn't a sprint button. It feels like Lara moves so slow, most of the time. I don't mind it when sneaking around enemies, but if I want to backtrack to a collectible I missed or something along those lines, I wish I didn't have to casually stroll over to it. In addition to that, the game takes control away from you too often IMO.

[/QUOTE]

I have not played it yet but I think that is done on purpose by the game developers so they can look at her a55, like in every Tomb Raider game ever made.

[quote name='jkam']I haven't picked this up yet but I noticed a lot of people mentioning the older games and not really playing them. I never got into the PS1 or 2 games and even tried the anniversary remake which I wasn't crazy about. For whatever it's worth I played through Tomb Raider Legend and thought it was fun (probably a good cheap weekend game). Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light although not exactly the same type of game is really well done if you haven't played it it's definitely worth a look.[/QUOTE]

FYI Guardian of Life code is packaged in every Walmart copy of Tomb Raider.

Okay, certainly not feeling the Kool Aid now... I've tolerated many a glitch in this game, the far better part of which have been minor (some outright funny, were Lara falls into a pool of water twice) but now I just ran into this gem... At about 82% complete.

Not me in the video... (Possible late game spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kb_llKT_Cs

I was finally was able to clip through the environment... but lost the better part of an hour for something that doesn't seem to be extremely rare.. Yay for piss poor Q&A.

Clipping through the environment: (Again not me and possible late game spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruDVcHkYQoc

Finished. A decent game, the story was its best part... The Tombs by far the worst. I would only give it a 7 out of ten do to its failures and the trouble with game ending (or nearly game ending) glitches that people are experiencing.

Wow, that glitch would have made me rage and here I was about to praise them for being bug free. Coming off AC III that has gamebreaking bugs all over the place, it was nice to have a glitch free game (so far). I'm actually just past that part now and working back inland, but I didn't have that glitch. Maybe don't buy games on 360? :lol:

[quote name='Jodou']Wow, that glitch would have made me rage and here I was about to praise them for being bug free. [/quote]

It seems minor now... but only because it was fixable.

Now this might be minor spoilers in the following, and I due mean minor, but it explains a game breaking glitch so I'm not going to spoiler text it.

Anyhow when you reach the beach be careful on how much you explore... Basically, if you explore a bit too thoroughly and drag a boat to be a platform for a certain wall, and climb that certain wall, you can screw yourself from getting a bow upgrade you need to finish the game.

Me, I'm pretty thorough before moving on... I had a 100% in all locations up to that point but luckily, I didn't think of dragging that boat into place or it would have been me with that glitch too.

[quote name='Jodou']Coming off AC III that has gamebreaking bugs all over the place, it was nice to have a glitch free game (so far). I'm actually just past that part now and working back inland, but I didn't have that glitch. Maybe don't buy games on 360? :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm so far behind in AC I'll likely never catch up, even though I look at each new release with interest. As for the platform in question... Sadly, I think in all the videos about it that I've seen every platform has been covered, my own experience was on the PS3. (I chose the PS3 as to have another game to play with my Uncharted buddies (and family) but the MP seems like a bust so I doubt it will ever evolve into something that can distract from UC3. Granted, after a year or nearly so break UC3 MP has been, well, enjoyable even though its still has many of its bugs.)

[quote name='EchoedTruth']Didn't see a post about it already, so I wanted to express how utterly awesome the new Tomb Raider is. I was a big fan of the original, but didn't care for any of the sequels.. and I loved the Uncharted series. This game IMO makes Uncharted look like child's play. Dark story, best graphics I have ever seen (I mean it), and incredible gameplay. You owe it to yourself to own this game. Easily my favorite game of this gen along with Farcry 3, Ni no Kuni, Deus Ex:HR, and Mortal Kombat. :bouncy: :applause:[/QUOTE]

Well put OP. But here is another indication how good the game is. I read some reviews in which some people were saying the game was about 5-7 hours. So I decided to rent the game via the redbox. So I started the game on Monday and finished it on Wednesday. The campaign is at least 15 hours long.

When I was finished, I wanted to play it again. And I don't mean to complete it by raiding tombs or finding treasures and whatnot. I mean I wanted to start it all over again. Now keep in mind there is only one series that has ever made me want to play the game again and again, despite finishing the campaign and knowing the outcome. And that is the God of War series. Well now God of War has company in that regard!

Tomb Raider crushes Uncharted! I mean crushes it! And that is saying a lot, considering how great the Uncharted games are. But Tomb Raider surpasses them on EVERY level. Graphically, story, level design, characters, combat engine, set pieces, scope, weapons, enemies, gear, upgrades, story pacing, puzzles, and sheer overall epicness! Tomb Raider wins hand down.

All I kept saying to myself as I progressed through game was "Damn! This game is so good!" It just kept getting better and better.

Bottomline, IMO, this is game of the year so far. And despite the fact I rented it and beat the game, I will be purchasing it ASAP. Even before my beloved God of War: Ascension.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Don't think that's going to be an issue at all. Apparently the game sold a million copies in it's first 2 days.

I honestly expect it to do extremely well because of reviews and people like me who won't shut up about how good the game is :)[/QUOTE]

Hahaha...my sentiments exactly. I can't stop talking about how good this game is.

I agree for a game that didn't get much marketing from what I saw, it was a well structured game.. Wish SquareE would do the same with their FF series.
For those who complain about lack of tombs, this was basically a pre-croft story, so maybe you get your tombs fix on TR2.

Just finished it and I have to say by the end I was sold on the reboot. This will be a solid franchise again and hopefully they don't milk it too hard.

Finally completed the game. Overall it was awesome and I can't wait for the sequel. GOTY so far for me. Probably will be until The Last Of Us/Beyond 2 Souls/GTA V release. Maybe Bioshock Infinite.

I don't think any of this is spoilery at all:

The good:

- Weapons felt powerful and were all very useful
- Overall gameplay was fun and polished
- Automatic cover system sounds terrible. Instead works flawlessly
- Story made sense/was easy to follow
- Great graphics for a 7? year old console

Some improvements I hope to see in the future:

- I beat the game 100% and got shit for it. I sat through 10 minutes of credits waiting for something. Got nothing. Lame.
- No new game + sucks. Once it's over there's zero reason to go back. At the very least the enemies could have respawned (after completing the whole game) or something. Bleh. Some kind of Horde mode or cheats or...something would have been nice.

- Story was good enough for a video game but most characters were not nearly fleshed out enough. I didn't give a shit about them

- Wish the collectibles (I still don't understand the GPS locations...what's the point?) had more of a reward

- Less QTEs

- Had to grind some to get 100% on my weapon upgrades, which means I didn't really get a chance to use them all at max

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone getting headaches and nausea playing this game? I can't play this game more than 2-3 hours a time. I'm literally checking myself every time I reach a campsite to see whether I can go on; also only playing an hour a day now. This is the first time I've ever gotten headaches and nausea playing a game.

[quote name='winterice']Is anyone getting headaches and nausea playing this game? I can't play this game more than 2-3 hours a time. I'm literally checking myself every time I reach a campsite to see whether I can go on; also only playing an hour a day now. This is the first time I've ever gotten headaches and nausea playing a game.[/QUOTE]

Though a few games this generation have done it to me (Enslaved is the one that I remember most, horrible feeling) I don't normally have headache/nausea when playing games so I'm not sure how much help I am... but, no, I had no issues with Tomb Raider.

Are you congested and/or have a head cold? If so its possible that those ailments are helping to trigger your symptoms. (At least in my experience.)

[quote name='winterice']Is anyone getting headaches and nausea playing this game? I can't play this game more than 2-3 hours a time. I'm literally checking myself every time I reach a campsite to see whether I can go on; also only playing an hour a day now. This is the first time I've ever gotten headaches and nausea playing a game.[/QUOTE]

No...I played the game for over 5 hours continuously at one point too

[quote name='YBX87']i just hope the game sells well enough, to warrant a sequel.[/QUOTE]

Well even though it sold about a million copies in 2 days, and has since shipped 3.4 million disc copies, it apparently sold below Square Enix's expectations. And that's just for the retail disc release of the game, not including digital sales. What in the fuck? How in the hell many of these were they "expecting" to sell?

What a bunch of asshats.

Here's the link with the info in case anyone cares.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Well even though it sold about a million copies in 2 days, and has since shipped 3.4 million disc copies, it apparently sold below Square Enix's expectations. And that's just for the retail disc release of the game, not including digital sales. What in the fuck? How in the hell many of these were they "expecting" to sell?

What a bunch of asshats.

Here's the link with the info in case anyone cares.[/QUOTE]
that is unfortunate. I guess unless your game is title : call of duty, you just cannot compete. Does squre enix hold the exclusive liscense for tomb raider series?

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Though a few games this generation have done it to me (Enslaved is the one that I remember most, horrible feeling) I don't normally have headache/nausea when playing games so I'm not sure how much help I am... but, no, I had no issues with Tomb Raider.

Are you congested and/or have a head cold? If so its possible that those ailments are helping to trigger your symptoms. (At least in my experience.)[/QUOTE]

Nope, my health is good. I'm thinking it's probably the camera. I wish there was a way to stop the camera from constantly rocking left and right.

[quote name='winterice']Nope, my health is good. I'm thinking it's probably the camera. I wish there was a way to stop the camera from constantly rocking left and right.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there is some subtle/not to subtle movement that might be doing you in... I know its a horrible feeling... if you have the option you might want to try playing on a smaller screen (aka hook your 360 up yo your PC monitor) and/or try setting farther away from the TV than you normally do. (That's how I got through Enslaved.)

Oh my God. I'm stuck in the Shantytown right after you get the
flaming arrows
. As soon as the checkpoint loads, bullets just start raining down on me and I'm quickly dead. Tonight, I killed the first three dudes in the slow motion sequence and managed to jump down and sneak off a side path. I got pretty far that way before I died, and then it loaded it back at the same checkpoint. I got so pissed that I shut it off.

That minor annoyance aside (also annoying multiplayer achievements), this game is awesome and totally worth the $15 I spent on it.

Oh my God. I'm stuck in the Shantytown right after you get the
flaming arrows
. As soon as the checkpoint loads, bullets just start raining down on me and I'm quickly dead. Tonight, I killed the first three dudes in the slow motion sequence and managed to jump down and sneak off a side path. I got pretty far that way before I died, and then it loaded it back at the same checkpoint. I got so pissed that I shut it off.

That minor annoyance aside (also annoying multiplayer achievements), this game is awesome and totally worth the $15 I spent on it.
I was having trouble with that part, too. Here's what I ended up doing...
After you shoot the first flaming arrows in slo-mo to kill the first three, I jumped down into that area, and went into the small room to the right of where the three guys were standing. I then just waited in that room and every time someone popped their head around I'd shoot them. Worked really well for me.

I started this up recently as well, it's definitely a fantastic game.

I didn't have too much trouble with that Shantytown bit.  I just mostly hung around the start moving from cover to cover and picked guys off with arrows--I tried to get most at a distance, but had to just back away and shoot several charging who got too close.

This was one of the best games I have played.  I was trying to tell my brother-in-law about how good it was, and his response was I bet it is better than the original.  So I gave it to him for Christmas.  A week later he asks me if I had played this game and was telling me how awesome it is.

FYI it was the GS preorder bonus.
Yeah, I know. Although, I'm comfortable with the $15 price tag minus one tomb vs. $60 pre-order.

Just finished the game. Awesome game. The main bone I have to pick with it is that there is a glitch and it's not counting one of the extra side mission things (specifically one of the sea mines I blew up didn't count) and the game is at 99%.

Am I the only one who hates TressFX hair thingy? Looks so dumb. I was actually laughing out loud during the Giant Bomb Quick Look of it, as it flops all over unrealistically. Like watching a Pixar movie behind the scenes what can go wrong with animation feature. And hanging upside down? That just makes it worse.

The DLC tomb takes 15 minutes and only rewards XP and salvage, which if you're at end game already there is no point to get it. Just another notch on the "Let's takes some small things out of the game, just to charge extra or force people to pre-order" like Metro Last Light and Ranger mode, Mass Effect 3 and From Ashes(only in CE or $10 extra), Borderlands 2 and Creature Dome, etc.

I did enjoy the game. It was fun to explore and search, the combat was fun, and stealth actually worked when I wanted it to. Bow is awesome, upgrading weapons with salvage/parts and picking survival perks as you progress through the game was great. Lots of reward for exploring and leveling up.

But fuck multiplayer and multiplayer trophies.

Bow is awesome, upgrading weapons with salvage/parts and picking survival perks as you progress through the game was great. Lots of reward for exploring and leveling up.
Yeah, the bow and the leveling up/upgrading weapons are what really make the game for me. The rest of it's great, but sans that stuff it would just feel exactly like Uncharted. Which is fine as I love those games. But with that stuff added in, I think I'm liking it more than any of the Uncharted games. Though I'm probably only roughly half way through (in or just past the Shantytown part), so I don't want to state that too firmly until done.

Yeah, the bow and the leveling up/upgrading weapons are what really make the game for me. The rest of it's great, but sans that stuff it would just feel exactly like Uncharted. Which is fine as I love those games. But with that stuff added in, I think I'm liking it more than any of the Uncharted games. Though I'm probably only roughly half way through (in or just past the Shantytown part), so I don't want to state that too firmly until done.
I could never get into the Uncharted games. Just didn't do it for me for whatever reason. But loved Tomb Raider. I could tell it was similar to Uncharted, but there was something (maybe fighting mechanics) that I liked much better.

Put in a marathon session today and finished this up.   Incredible game for sure, definitely liked it more than any of the Uncharted games.  It's longer (even with only 74% complete), has the leveling and upgrading stuff, and much more emphasis on exploration--and reason for doing so with the meaningful hidden stuff.

Can't wait for a next gen sequel.

I'm not going to get burned twice. I want to upgrade to the definitive edition, but unlike with the PS3 version, I'm not picking it up on launch. I'll wait 2 months for the game to drop to $30. Or 6 months for it to be a Nickel like with the PS3/360 versions. I want that pre-order art book though. Still not worth $60

bread's done
Back