Tomb Raider (PS3 and 360) $19.99, WoW: Panderia $19.99, Dead Island Riptide (PS3 and 360)$27.99, SC II $19.99 at Best Buy

Just want to thank the guy late last night saying TR collectors was ringing up at $19.99. I just wasted 45 mins of my life going to BB to see it ring at $59.99. Learn the term YMMV, noobs.

Just want to thank the guy late last night saying TR collectors was ringing up at $19.99. I just wasted 45 mins of my life going to BB to see it ring at $59.99. Learn the term YMMV, noobs.
He probably mistook the steelbook for the collector's edition. FYI, Target seems to be hit or miss on whether they have steelbooks (at least for PS3), but they seem to ring up the same price and worked for an Amazon PM for me.

He probably mistook the steelbook for the collector's edition. FYI, Target seems to be hit or miss on whether they have steelbooks (at least for PS3), but they seem to ring up the same price and worked for an Amazon PM for me.
No. It had nothing to do with target. The price at target isn't $19.99 until you pm best buy. He was clearly talking about tomb raider CE at BB. He just didn't provide a detailed account of what actually went down until he was called out on it. He got BB to PM the online price of the vanilla version. Complete YMMV.

Carry on...

Got a ps3 version without any problems, specially since I bought other stuff. Wish they had the steelbook.

I used the COD ghosts pre-order card and bought diapers and pancake syrup. The total was 30 bucks and the cashier did not say a thing. 

you should definitely buy something else to not draw attention

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting I didn't get the 20$ off. I bought the PS3 version and battlefield 4 preorder. Lame I still bought it but I'm gonna return it tomorrow.

Interesting I didn't get the 20$ off. I bought the PS3 version and battlefield 4 preorder. Lame I still bought it but I'm gonna return it tomorrow.
Apparently it's not working with the BF4 pre-order. I would go back and try Fifa 14 for the PS3, or the games that have the advertisement saying that it WILL take $20 off the price off certain games.

Thanks OP bought 2 Tomb Raiders with the Target scam for $2 each after reserving some games, flipped them all to Wally World for $50 each after! Damn I'm rich!

:rofl:  :rofl: 

I was able to get the deal at Target for a total of $1. The first attempt totaled $1 and the concerned employee asked a manager who said they wouldn't do it (not quoting policy but just saying the amount was too low). My second attempt at a different store included other purchases so the total was much higher than a dollar and the employee didn't question it. The point is, you will probably have much more luck by not drawing attention to it if you buy other items at the same time.

Personally, I think that these companies who come up with special pricing, promos, and policies should either eliminate special promos or align their entire system to work in the way they intend. I don't feel too sorry for Target or other companies that create artificial incentives and then it backfires on them for poor implementation or poor planning. If I am only getting this deal because of the order of items in which I check out, that's a pretty lousy system to have in 2013.
Same thing happened to me but will try a different store with other purchases. I tried not to make a fuss when the deal was rejected as Target is great at price matching amazon and BB.

To me this is a loophole and not something you have to lie to get so its not shady. I thought someone said it was target policy anyway. Its a good deal if you can get it. I just think its silly to make a federal case out of it when you don't get it. And obviously not abuse it by getting like 10 copies. I hate those people.

That being said, I was at target looking for the steelbook today. Didn't want to bother with the hassle of pming and adding the reservation card. I figure TR will be $10 by Black Friday and my backlog is ridiculous anyway.
Lol taking advantage of loopholes can be shady too bruh, even if there's no lying invovled.

Thanks OP bought 2 Tomb Raiders with the Target scam for $2 each after reserving some games, flipped them all to Wally World for $50 each after! Damn I'm rich!

:rofl: :rofl:
I did the same thing!!!! *Brofist* :bouncy:

Lol taking advantage of loopholes can be shady too bruh, even if there's no lying invovled.

You had to have lied to return an item you didn't purchase from Walmart without a receipt. See shit like this is why y'all 2 should be banned from the site. Return fraud is very frowned upon here.

You had to have lied to return an item you didn't purchase from Walmart without a receipt. See shit like this is why y'all 2 should be banned from the site. Return fraud is very frowned upon here.
These are tough times, I picked up tons of diapers with the $100 gift card for my new baby!

they probably thought this was sd, where they will get rep points for those kind of posts.

I was joking my friend. Damn, I really wish there was a sarcasm font haha.

Edit:

and I thought DuffHomer was joking as well, guess not. :???:

No. It had nothing to do with target. The price at target isn't $19.99 until you pm best buy. He was clearly talking about tomb raider CE at BB. He just didn't provide a detailed account of what actually went down until he was called out on it. He got BB to PM the online price of the vanilla version. Complete YMMV.

Carry on...

Yeah that was not cool of him. He didn't explain it in detail enough so whenever I see things like that I always hesitate. This site is usually reliable on posting gaming deals. Every now and then, we get poor information from a member. That's why I find the confirmation responses to be helpful. Sorry you had to waste your time and gas all because of some dude.

I got the sarcasm. Lol but I guess others dont. :booty:

Picked up a copy today. Happy I was able to get in on the steel book edition.
Haha the getting diapers for my baby thing through me for a lil loop, believe it or not some cags seriously support their kids by doing stuff like that. Anyway, I might try target for a PM. I already beat the game but it would be nice to have that steelbook.

Just picked up Tomb Raider for $1.08. Just took game and COD ghosts card to CS. After PM the girls jaw dropped and said I want to pick this game up now.

ugh, grabbed the last steel case version at my Target but only noticed the giant dent on the back of the case until half-way home :/

Anyone successfully tried the $1 Tomb Raider PM along with an elusive "buy 2 get 1" coupon order? I started doing so at my Target, but that was a bridge too far; they balked at combining a price match with a promotional discount with a coupon. Still, I wonder if adding the pre-order card to an order would mess up the coupon's magical ability.

PM at Target along with the $1 preorder promo still works! I just chatted the customer service cashier up a bit. It was pretty busy too so she was decently distracted. I also reccomend buying stuff you need to buy anyway to reduce suspicion. I'm a college student, so I bought some school supplies.

Proof: 

Why do these always turn into brag threads?

I'm not understanding the need to post multiple receipt scans? We get it.... Target's POS systems allow for double dipping. This was determined months ago. What value is being added to this particular thread by sharing your success stories multiple times?

People live all over the USA.  If someone posts a receipt from a local store that has proven successful, it's actually helpful.  People can claim anything they want, if I see a receipt, I know it's not some fabricated story.

People live all over the USA. If someone posts a receipt from a local store that has proven successful, it's actually helpful. People can claim anything they want, if I see a receipt, I know it's not some fabricated story.
Well maybe my reading comprehension sucks...

But first this is a best buy thread and second for several months, since target started doing the "X" off "Y" game for preordering "Z" we have known the discount still works after a PM assuming the register allows it. The only thing that would be newsworthy at this point is if they stopped allowing it all together and the success rate goes from YMMV to ZERO

What more information do you need to share?

It's as simple as "Yes it worked at store _______" or "No, the cashier at store _______ did not allow it"

Why do people need proof? Are you going to throw a temper tantrum because someone else was able to do it at a store that you got denied? Are you going to use that as supporting evidence when you call customer relations for "compensation"?

Seriously regret not getting the PS3 steelbook when I had the chance yesterday. Went back today only to find out that someone picked my store CLEAN of all the PS3 copies except for the regular one that was still in the plastic display case. Ended up grabbing that and a 360 steelbook for $2.14. Again, cashier and manager were really cool about it, called me a great bargain shopper haha. Anywho, if anyone is looking for a 360 steelbook in the Rhode Island area, the Target in Lincoln is more than willing to give you the deal and they still have 8-9 copies left. You're welcome!

EDIT: I used two Fifa 14 PS3 pre-order cards.

So do I need a filler item for Target to get this deal to work or will the $1 preorder enough?

Pre-order will be enough, filler items are just so that the cashier doesn't notice the fact that you're getting a $50 game for $1.

I got denied at the target in Clifton Park New York. I just brought my game and the preorder card to CS. Rang up perfect. $1.07 on the screen. The employee voided it really quickly and rang it up for 19.99. Will be returning tomorrow and trying other Targets in the area.

returning shit you got at Target to Walmart is just fucking terrible. That's not even close to debatable. I don't think duffhomer was joking.

Sorry, I have a couple dumb questions about Target pre-orders and price match... never done one before...

1.  Where in the store are the $1 pre-order reservation cards located at?

2.  Do you do the price match & transaction at the electronics checkout or at customer service?

Got denied at the hicksville NY store. Had a shirt and pair of shorts too, did game-shirt-shorts-card at CS but the guy who rang me up called a manager over to look and she squashed it :whistle2:x

PM at Target along with the $1 preorder promo still works! I just chatted the customer service cashier up a bit. It was pretty busy too so she was decently distracted. I also reccomend buying stuff you need to buy anyway to reduce suspicion. I'm a college student, so I bought some school supplies.

Proof:

I bought my copy at the same store yesterday. I got nervous because the manager had to come to the register since it's a big price difference but she just put her override code in and let the cashier do the rest.

P.S Dont post your debit card info for others to see.

Went to Target, grabbed a loaf of bread, went to electronics dept.  Located 2 Pre-Order $20 off cards (Fifa '14), found TR for Xbox in the case, couldn't find Injustice for Xbox.  Scanner gun said they should have two but none to be found.  Settle for PS3 with intentions to exchange later.....was then told they have difficulty getting in games to begin with.  TR was NOT Steelbook (I don't care).

Proceed to CS desk up front.  Begin explanation process and waiting for them to locate item.  After arguing about the PM + discount card will stack and convincing the woman to do the PM and then scan the card just to amuse me and it worked so she let it fly.  She had lots of difficultly locating TR.....said only CE was showing up.  After all this I realized the copy of TR I was sent up front with was cut (cut & retatped) so I had to walk to back of the store to get another copy. 

Total was $26.20 for both games & bread.

Went across street to Best Buy to cancel my online order for TR for $19.99 paid via PayPal.  Decided to get brave and try to swap out Injustice for an Xbox copy.  He had to get manager override for both but no issues.  He ended up having to return the PS3 Injustice and give me a GC for $63.59 to rebuy the Xbox copy (straight swap idea).  I then proceeded to get real brave and asked if he would PM Amazon's price on Injustice since I had a GC now instead of it just being swapped.  He agreed and said that was quick thinking on my part.  Remaining on GC = $19.08.

So my real spending count:  $26.20 (2 games & bread) - $19.08 (bonus GC) = I effectively spent $7.12 once the GC is factored out.

I had no intentions of doing the PM deal...I just wanted to swap it out (it's the same game and same price so don't give me moral lessons).  Saw opportunity and took it. 

The whole process took around an hour for both stores.   In the end....worth the effort.

Just wanted to share that I got Tomb Raider 360 steelbook for $1 at my Target.  Had it pricematched to Amazon at customer service and then used a Madden 14 reservation card along with some other items,  The customer service clerk was surprised when the promotion applied and had her manager and then a store manager look at it and after a few minutes the store manager said since the system was allowing it to let it go through.  $1 well spent!

Now if only PS3 Tomb Raider pre-owned will come back in stock for shipping, I locked in 3 trades on Amazon already this morning before it tanked...(2 PS3 and 1 360)

I didn't have to have them price match the collectors edition for tomb raider. It rang up that way. The sku i gave was what was on the box which happened to be the same as the vanilla tomb raider

Got a PS3 steelbook for $1.  I bought some cookies and cereal also so it didn't look to weird.  The lady at the CS desk kind of did a double take, but didn't say anything.  I swiped my card before the total showed up and finished the transaction quickly.  Can't believe I finally got in on such a great deal.  I am tempted to get another one to keep sealed (i'm not flipping these. I'm playing one and if i can get another, it'll stay sealed).

I didn't have to have them price match the collectors edition for tomb raider. It rang up that way. The sku i gave was what was on the box which happened to be the same as the vanilla tomb raider
Thanks for clarifying but...still MAJOR YMMV. Your store, and ONLY your store had the CE incorrectly marked as the vanilla version.

I tried this for laughs at my closest store a bit ago. I just took the pre-order card up the front after the guy in electronics told me he'd have to take the game up there for me. So I got them to PM BB's price, then hand them the pre-order card for GTA V(which says DO NOT SELL after 3/31/13, but it still rings up as a $1 PO) and after checking if it still scans as a $1 PO they scan it in. The total went from $21 something down to $1.06.

Both the cashier and manager(who was still standing there after the $19.99 PM) look at the screen going WTF. DE-NIED! Oh well. At least I can say I tried. I just wish Target would get the kind of registers like BB has, so the cashier can look up the prices for matching right on the spot. I know if I had a teen/tween cashier for who this is a PT after school/summer job they wouldn't have given two shits more than likely.

What did your collector's edition come with? Either you got extremely lucky or you are mistaking the first print version with the book a the collector's edition.

Yay, I was able to get TR for $1 :)

I had to get Red Dead Redemption GOTY to make it not look suspicious :)
But the employee who was doing it seemed like she was new and when she saw the $20 discount she went to her manager and the manager just looked at the ad and allowed it :D
Good day for me today :)

like someone else said earlier...just swipe your card early (before they total the order) and the transaction will complete before they can deny you.

Went to Target, grabbed a loaf of bread, went to electronics dept. Located 2 Pre-Order $20 off cards (Fifa '14), found TR for Xbox in the case, couldn't find Injustice for Xbox. Scanner gun said they should have two but none to be found. Settle for PS3 with intentions to exchange later.....was then told they have difficulty getting in games to begin with. TR was NOT Steelbook (I don't care).

Proceed to CS desk up front. Begin explanation process and waiting for them to locate item. After arguing about the PM + discount card will stack and convincing the woman to do the PM and then scan the card just to amuse me and it worked so she let it fly. She had lots of difficultly locating TR.....said only CE was showing up. After all this I realized the copy of TR I was sent up front with was cut (cut & retatped) so I had to walk to back of the store to get another copy.

Total was $26.20 for both games & bread.

Went across street to Best Buy to cancel my online order for TR for $19.99 paid via PayPal. Decided to get brave and try to swap out Injustice for an Xbox copy. He had to get manager override for both but no issues. He ended up having to return the PS3 Injustice and give me a GC for $63.59 to rebuy the Xbox copy (straight swap idea). I then proceeded to get real brave and asked if he would PM Amazon's price on Injustice since I had a GC now instead of it just being swapped. He agreed and said that was quick thinking on my part. Remaining on GC = $19.08.

So my real spending count: $26.20 (2 games & bread) - $19.08 (bonus GC) = I effectively spent $7.12 once the GC is factored out.

I had no intentions of doing the PM deal...I just wanted to swap it out (it's the same game and same price so don't give me moral lessons). Saw opportunity and took it.

The whole process took around an hour for both stores. In the end....worth the effort.

That sounds like what i did. Came with some dlc and a hardcover darkhorse comic

Yeah that's not a bad find but it isn't the collector's edition. The collector's edition is called the "Survival Edition" and it comes in a big tin with an action figure of Lara Croft among other things.

What you found was Best Buy's exclusive version that came with a mini comic book and some DLC. These were always priced the exact same as the standard edition games because it was just a preorder/early purchase incentive.

That is where the confusion came.....

I hate not having these stores close. If anyone is able to get a second copy of the Steelbook for a decent price, let me know. I don't have a Target or Best Buy near me :(

bread's done
Back