Tony Hawk Ride - Peripheral-Based Tony Hawk - Debut Trailer in OP

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.thride.com/

You can see the board on the official site. I'll post the video once GT puts it up on their site.

From what they showed of the game on GT TV, it seems to be more like the Tony Hawk version of Skate in that it's less ridiculous and more like the sport it's trying to recreate, but with a new controller to change how you play it.

The Debut Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49280.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds hard as fuck. I just want to press A to ollie and Y to grind. But that's just me.

If it turns out to be awesome, I'll hop on the bandwagon and buy it, no questions asked.

Eh.

Not really expecting much. I'll test it out though

Edit: I can't believe they actually blurred faces after Hawk did the 900 at the X-Games. Thats pretty good.

All I can think of is Skate It with the Wii Fit board and I shudder. Though I guess this should've been expected with how successful plastic peripherals are this generation and so people won't look at this as just another Tony Hawk game.

facepalm.gif

I'm so tired of gimmicky peripherals.

[quote name='advanced']Eh.

Not really expecting much. I'll test it out though

Edit: I can't believe they actually blurred faces after Hawk did the 900 at the X-Games. Thats pretty good.[/QUOTE]

fuuuu i got a major mindfuk after seeing dat!!!!!!!!
how did threy even organizethat!!!!!!

I will reserve my negativity until we fully see the functionality of this future footstool. I can see this being fantastic if implemented right. But the price tag will be way too high on this game I expect. The one advantage the peripheral games have had is that their bundle did not cost more than the real deal. I expect this will be one of the exceptions.

Hell, if you buy this and you don't like the peripheral, you have a fully functional snow-skate to use on the slopes... orrrr maybe not.

fucking retarded.

Good lord, just stop making Tony Hawk games. The only good Tony Hawk game in the last 8 years was the DS one, ffs. I think that means that it's time to throw in the towel.

Project 8 was actually a great game, IMO, and I look forward to a new spin on the Tony Hawk series. Skate 2 was nowhere near as good as Skate 1, hopefully Tony Hawk can pick it back up.

Project 8 was garbage. THUG was the last decent one IMHO, but really, the last Tony Hawk game that drew me in was THPS2, sadly.

I remember back in the days when I would pay full price ($50) for THPS3&4, and the only one I bought since then was the first DS game. With Skate taking the market, I really don't see why they just don't end it; maybe the new peripheral will just finally end it, when NO ONE buys it.

It's too bad, imho, because TH has some nostalgia for me, but they have sucked hard for awhile now, and it's probably best they go before losing ALL of their dignity. Skate took over the title of King Skateboarding Game, and I truly can't see them doing a game that would make you want to put Skate down to play it, which, looks to me like that's what they were aiming for with this shit, and from the concept of it all, it's just not going to work.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']I remember back in the days when I would pay full price ($50) for THPS3&4, and the only one I bought since then was the first DS game. With Skate taking the market, I really don't see why they just don't end it; maybe the new peripheral will just finally end it, when NO ONE buys it.[/QUOTE]

The thing is Skate didn't even take the market. All it did is split the million people still buying skating games every year. Back in the day THPS2,3,4 were selling ~5 million copies because anybody could pick them up and play them. Over time it lost the magic. Skate did nothing to change that. Most people don't want a really complicated skating game. I played the shit out of THPS3. I liked THUG when I bought it used. I played a little American Wasteland and it was OK. I'm just getting around to Skate this weekend because I'm curious, but I know it's complicated and I won't be surprised if I hate it.

Last skateboarding game I played was THPS3 on GameCube and I don't plan on playing another skateboarding game. Pretty obvious they changed their focus because of EA's Skate (Tony Hawk does a satisfactory PR job) - what's with the corners arbitrarily being shaded? Annoying in Killzone 2's singleplayer. Curious to see its final price and its overall reception in both critical and retail. Really eloquently designed board, (I'll give 'em that) they can easily get away with charging $150 to the masses.

The series is no way near sucking levels, outside the abortion that was the Wii games. However it did get stale and played out after THUG2. The series just got old and the market got really saturated on TH games. We seriously did not need a new TH game every year.

That said, it's been a while since a new TH game and this one looks somewhat interesting. We'll just have to see what they make of it.

I wish they would go back and make another DS-centric outing. American Skateland was a fantastic throwback to THPS 1-4. They could even make a custom soundtrack a DSi exclusive feature.

This seems to be out now, so I'm bumping this up. I can see that there's a lot of excitement on CAG for it from the last of posts in the past six months.

There's just one review on Metacritic that praises it, though I don't see how the reviewer can be so confident that the game's worth purchasing because the controller will be well-supported in the future. John Davison mentions that reviews coming out at launch are suspect because they only played the game at a three-hour event.

At least Giant Bomb plans to do a Quick Look after the Unboxing video they did.

Tested it at Best Buy and was not a fan. The board didn't react as accurate as I thought. I was on a halfpipe just doing the same motion on the board and received different tricks.

Skate is still far superior in my eyes.

definitely going to wait for a price drop. Wish they would have played some in the hardcore controls, I want to know how well it translates. Anyone who skates has a deck for the bedroom and I want to know that if I do, say, a pop-shovit with the controller, it does it in the game. That's probably asking for way too much out of the game but I would like something like that

Game looks so awful, they took anything that made Tony Hawk games good and threw it out the window for the stupid peripheral craze. They had to fight the game just to play it.

Will this series (and also activision) PLEASE die.

I hope that between the failure of this and DJ Hero that all of the profits from MW2 are negated (yeah not possible because these games didn't cost $300 mil each to produce but WHATEVER).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Will this series (and also activision) PLEASE die.

I hope that between the failure of this and DJ Hero that all of the profits from MW2 are negated (yeah not possible because these games didn't cost $300 mil each to produce but WHATEVER).[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I've never been this happy to see a game bomb.

Trying to watch the video...god, just...why. What a nightmare.

Congrats, Activision, you have finally devised a Tony Hawk game worse than Downhill Jam. For crying out loud, just kill this series. It's over. We have EA's skate now, and this is not the answer.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Look five posts above you, spoo. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oops. :D

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Trying to watch the video...god, just...why. What a nightmare.

Congrats, Activision, you have finally devised a Tony Hawk game worse than Downhill Jam. For crying out loud, just kill this series. It's over. We have EA's skate now, and this is not the answer.[/QUOTE]
I hope they turn THPS into an Arcade/downloadable $10-$20 game. Get rid of everything that started making it complicated and the stuff that sucked the fun out of the series (getting of the board and walking I'm looking at you) and return to the 2 minute formula. They could make a THPS 3.1 for $15 and it would be brilliant.

[quote name='spoo']I hope they turn THPS into an Arcade/downloadable $10-$20 game.[/QUOTE]

Downloadable ain't gonna happen, because you can't sell a $100 hunk of plastic with it via download, and that's just how Activision rolls, now. Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before a Call of Duty game gets a forced bundle with something like this for $199 or something. I predict by Call of Duty 9, at the very latest.

[quote name='Frogurt.man']R.I.P. Tony Hawk

September 30, 1999 - October 27, 2003[/QUOTE]

Fixed your dates by changing the "death" date to the release date of Underground, because THPS4 was the last good one, and THUG is where is all jumped the shark and started going steeply downhill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the one that I got for $10 on the 360 that was limited edition... underground was it? Well for $10 anyways.

THPS4 was probably the last real good one though.

This is gonna be a game I'll have to pick up real cheap just for laughs now though.

Wow, just wow.

Tony Hawk introduce skating to black people so I will always have a soft spot for him but damn, we all knew this was shit from the beginning. Have they learned nothing from the Wii? A non casual game can not exist with control given to a players body.

No one wants to flail around when they play games. Like the review said, if I was going to go to all the trouble of learning the real footwork, I would just pick up a real skate board.

Metacritic has some mighty LOLs on it. The first 4 reviews (GameZone, GamingTrend, Planet Xbox 360, and XBoxAddict) all gave it 80s-90s and then it drops down to the reviews in the 50s.

Game reviews, you're doing it wrong.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Metacritic has some mighty LOLs on it. The first 4 reviews (GameZone, GamingTrend, Planet Xbox 360, and XBoxAddict) all gave it 80s-90s and then it drops down to the reviews in the 50s.

Game reviews, you're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

Activision probably gave them early review copies as long as they promised to give the game a good score. That is the ONLY way to justify them giving it anything remotely decent, let alone good.

Thats why you have to really toss out the first 2 or 3 reviews on metacrtic. It amazes me how many 100 perfects scores on so many games.

[quote name='SEH']Activision probably gave them early review copies as long as they promised to give the game a good score. That is the ONLY way to justify them giving it anything remotely decent, let alone good.[/QUOTE]
This is why they gave it good scores.

[quote name='Danil ACE']I hope this game flops big time because this stupid trend where you have to buy useless plastic crap is annoying.[/QUOTE]

This game has to be made for 8-12 year olds as a toy and nothing else. It is a shame because THPS is one of my favorite series (the numbered ones that is.)

bread's done
Back