Too good to be true?

Requiems

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (67%)
I recently saw this TV ad on craigslist:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/1664617441.html

I though it was a too good to be true deal/scam so I email and received this response.

Hi, I am getting back to you regarding the 46" Sony LCD, 1080p full HDTV from Craigslist

My name is ------ and I am now in --------, United Kingdom.
I am selling the 46" Sony LCD, 1080p, full HDTV, 120 Mhz for $420 USD. I have attached some pics so you can see the condition of the TV.
The TVis still available and I hope you are still interested.This TV was ordered brand new 4 months ago.
About the TV I can say it is 4 months old and it is in good shape, no scratches, no dents as you can see from the pics I've sent. Included in the $400 price is everything the TV came with when it was new, including the original manuals and warranty papers. The TV still has warranty for the next 20 months. The warranty is fully transferable to the new owner.
The TV is here with me in UK.
I tried to be a thorough as I could with the presentation so you can have all the info if you decide to go ahead and buy it.
I have used the TV mostly for the news and movies, so I would say it has been only lightly used.
One more thing, the TV is an US version and it works on the US power and plug system so you do not need a converter to use it in the US.

Please get back to me and let me know if you like the TV if you're really interested in buying it.

Thanks,
-----

Now my question is, does this look like a scam? I'm leaning towards yes. And is there any way to be sure?

Thanks for any opinions!

UM - why in the HELL would anyone in the UK buy a US TV -
the UK runs on a 50Hz frequency - the US runs on 60Hz - how did he watch "movies" or the "news" on a 60Hz tv?

im going to say - yes scam

[quote name='turboice']the UK runs on a 50Hz frequency - the US runs on 60Hz - how did he watch "movies" or the "news" on a 60Hz tv?

im going to say - yes scam[/QUOTE]

I'm going to agree.

It's a scam been through the same thing in LA they will tell you they want to use a legit shipping company except its not the companies actual site

[quote name='turboice']UM - why in the HELL would anyone in the UK buy a US TV -
the UK runs on a 50Hz frequency - the US runs on 60Hz - how did he watch "movies" or the "news" on a 60Hz tv?

im going to say - yes scam[/QUOTE]

Scam, yes. However with HDTV we are beyond that 50/60Hz stuff now

I've seen nearly the same letter in MD, just replace tv with PS3.

Tell him when he gets his arse back to Jersey to give you a ring.

Anyone who sells something for "$420" when $500 would have done just fine is usually a pothead scammer to begin with. Dealbreaker!

Haha, the seller emailed again with this to say:

Hi

I found a way to sell you the TV that will cover the both of us. It's a worldwide delivery company called TNT. They have a service that will allow you to test the TV before I receive my payment.
Please go to the TNT website below and read their procedure so we can be on the same page:

http://www.wolverhampton-tnt.com/tnt.express.wolverhampton.depot.overseas.transactions/

I will pay the TNT shipping fee.

Thanks.

Now they're offering to pay for shipping...lol. And I'm sure that site is a fraud since I have yet to find a way to access it from the actual TNT site. Well I guess that closes this for good. Scam failed. Thanks for all of you inputs!

Edit: Yep, googled it and it is indeed a scam attempt.

[quote name='help1']This is a weird scam. Why would he say you could test the tv before he receives payment if he is scamming you?[/QUOTE]

The way it works is that this "fake' site is run by him or one of his accomplices. You pay that "company" and they "hold" the money until you test it, only you never see the tv, and since the company doesn't exist you lost your money too.

bread's done
Back