Too Human - Gen. Discussion & Info

Anyone try this? How are the other two classes? [quote name='sleepy180']For those of you who actually liked the demo like me, theres a way to play the commando and berserker class in the demo. I have tried this and it just worked for me.

I have a CONFIRMED way to unlock the berserker and commando for all those of us who were only able to play the Champion. Follow these steps:

1- Shut down the Xbox360 (if it isnt already)
2- Unplug your internet cable
3- Start up the 360 and go to the date setting
4- Change the year to 2009
5- Play demo with Berserker or Commando

You can also just logout of live i heard instead of unplugging everything.[/quote]

I liked the demo. Camera's a bit tricky early on, but after a few battles, I got the hang of it... the cutscenes weren't too terribly bad, although revealing information about how you're where you are while you're there can be problematic.. (thankfully you can skip them... heh.)

Combat's a bit on the simple side, but I like that... it's worth the trouble, given the amount of enemies you encounter at any given section... the graphics are stunning... the music's cool... and a Valkyrie comes to take you to Valhalla! what more can you wish for? ;)

It really only took me one or two battles to get used to the stick (and aiming) method... I enjoy being able to wallop baddies with my different melee weapons as well, for close-quarter combat as the waves pour in. It's Diablo-esque... and I can see where there'll be some great item grabs as you progress through the game (I've already found some neat weapons, as I'm sure others who've played have, and I'm jonesing for more... heh.)

:applause: Hooray for Vikings! (and boobies!)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MisterHand']I actually got bored during the demo. Those ridiculous flashbacks should come in between dungeons -- not in the middle of them. I also thing that using the right stick for melee combat (instead of for fluid camera control) was an interesting experiment -- but a failed one. I think this game is gold now, so what you see in the demo is what you're gonna get. :(

Bring on Fable 2 and Fallout 3![/QUOTE]

About summed up my feelings on it, I had to stifle a yawn while playing. Backgrounds and armor seemed to have had a lot of work put into them, facial expressions and animation on the other hand look horrid. But no big deal if the gameplay was up to snuff but it wasn't, way too easy, all I was doing was facing the stick int he general direction of the enemy, they go flying, rinse and repeat. I will be really surprised if they manage to get all three games released in the trilogy at this rate.

I thought the demo was excellent. Really fun combat, something different for a change than the typical third person action! Will definitely be picking this one up.

Once you get used to the controls, it really is pretty fun. I thought the hardest thing to get used to is using the LB along with the right stick to look around. I think once you get into this game and the controls come to you without having to think about them this could be real good.

I wonder when places will start offering the other armor for this game if you pre order like it said on live.

I played for about a half an hour last night. The graphics didn't wow me but for the type of game it is they seemed pretty good. I didn't really like the right stick combat. I think what bothered me most about it was that its not a full 360 attack radius. I thought it would be more like Ape Escape where if I pushed in that direction I could attack in that direction. The way its setup (combos etc) it seemed it would work better with buttons. I thought the guns felt pretty good though. The enemies didn't seem all that exciting to fight. The hallways seemed fairly boring. I think I'll pass.

I was expecting to not enjoy this, but it did grab me as a good bit of mindless fun. Popped it into my Gamefly queue as soon as the demo was done :D

Going to try that trick for giving the other classes a go tomorrow sometime.

beat the demo earlier as a berserker and i actually found it be pretty fun :)

tried every class but the commando so far and playin as a berserker was the best

It was decent as far as i'm concerned though i will be giving it another try later today. I think it's a game i'll pick up when it drops a bit in price.

[quote name='sendme']I wonder when places will start offering the other armor for this game if you pre order like it said on live.[/quote] I know Amazon is right now and I'm pretty sure gamestop is too.

Cons:
- Character models and cutscenes are pretty fugly.
- Melee combat is a bit unsatisfying. Just holding toward the monsters you want to kill leaves me cold.

Pros:
- Just the right amount of puzzles/exploration; enough to make you want to do it to find goodies, but not enough to get annoying.
- The bits of story/lore: some of the "norse-tech" ideas from the demo were quite clever.
- Items, items, items: this might be the definitive Diablo clone on consoles.

Other:
- The camera seems like it *should* be problematic, but it was smooth for me the whole way through the demo. No complaints on that point.
- As much as I'm not in love with attacking with the right stick, I'm not sure that the old "Tap A, A, A for a combo" method would be any better. You just clicked the cursor on a target to attack in Diablo, too, and that worked out fine.
- I can see this improving substantially in multiplayer.

In short, I'm probably still going to buy it. It's a tough call, since I know it'll drop in price pretty quickly, but I also know I'll play it if I get it now, so ... what the hell, right?

It isn't nearly as bad as everyone has made it out to be. However, it's not as nearly as good as Dennis Dyak has made it out to be either. For a game that has been in development for almost ten years you'd think it would be a lot better.

the gameplay took me a while to get into, its definatly not bad but it feels like a more generic DMC to me. I like the RPG elements and some of the norse type stuff I agree was clever. I also like how they threw in some flashbacks here and there to flesh out the story.. I"m still torn on this overall I wanna give the demo another run or two. One thing I really really hate is the death animation. The Valkaryies look cool and all but after once or twice I'd love to skip this part.

Like many other I was looking for a diablo like experience and this is not it. Was excited for the game, but now I am not interested at all.

Some of the characters faces look weird, especially the girls. I thought the game played fine and like trq said I can see this getting better when playing with friends. I was all smiles when I got my big ol' hammer. :D

I hope they fix the timing & faces as far as talking goes. Those cutscenes were pretty bad.

I just finished the demo. The swordfighting was a bit sketchy at times, but it doesn't seem like a completely terrible game. I'll probably give it a rent, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone til it drops to $20 (though $20 still seems like a stretch when you can rent it for a month and a half for $9.25 @ Blockbuster )

I actually liked the demo a lot, and it will probably be the next game I buy.

I'm very much waiting for its release date, now.
It's definitely not the best game ever, but it seems like it will be very addictive, and a lot of fun... that's all I ask for in a game.

I was really looking forward to this game, but the demo just made me hate the game.

The camera was worse than Ninja Gaiden 2's. I thought camera angles couldn't get worse after playing Ninja Gaiden 2, but boy was I wrong.

Whichever monkey thought of making the sword control with just the right analog stick should be fired. I would have to say that this is one of the worst control schemes I have ever found myself trying to get accustomed too.

The guns seemed way overpowered. The first big battle in the demo I only used my guns and nothing else. It made the game too easy. The enemies never touched me because I went in circles while shooting them...

I don't think I'll be renting or buying this game. I could live with the crappy camera, but the sword controls just piss me off truthfully. I tried to like them, but it just wasn't possible.

The only thing that I seemed to like was the setting that Too Human was in. A futuristic setting, but yet a bit medieval-esque at the same time. If I didn't know any better I would have said this game was made in 8 months.

Diablo experience? It lacks many of the key things Diablo (especially 2) thrived on. PvP, 8 players per game, and an additive battle system. Not sure why people were expecting that out of this game, especially since it's only 2 players.

The item system looks diverse and addictive in it's own right. But without a ton of DLC or a lot of random dungeons that contain difficult bosses the items are useless after a certain point.

Played the demo and finished it. I liked the collecting aspects and made the game more fun. Combat controls are still a problem though. If Microsoft ever releases a Wii like motion controller, it would help this game out a lot.

[quote name='wwfward']Played the demo and finished it. I liked the collecting aspects and made the game more fun. Combat controls are still a problem though. If Microsoft ever releases a Wii like motion controller, it would help this game out a lot.[/QUOTE]

How?

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Diablo experience? It lacks many of the key things Diablo (especially 2) thrived on. PvP, 8 players per game, and an additive battle system. Not sure why people were expecting that out of this game, especially since it's only 2 players.

The item system looks diverse and addictive in it's own right. But without a ton of DLC or a lot of random dungeons that contain difficult bosses the items are useless after a certain point.[/quote]

The thing that sold Diablo for me (both of them) was not multiplayer, ironically enough. It was the Nethack-inspired item grabs. What monster was going to drop some seriously awesome armor? Just around the corner... Hell, I don't remember how many times I went on item runs in Diablo 2.... it was getting silly after a while (I'll admit), but for the sheer fun of finding new items, it couldn't be beat. It now looks like Too Human might have some of that as well...

I wasn't expecting Diablo 2, but then again, if it were diablo 2, I'd have been disappointed.

The Viking theme isn't lost on me either, considering my disappointment with Sega's Viking (it wasn't bad, but I was hoping for more). :)

[quote name='Mechafenris']The thing that sold Diablo for me (both of them) was not multiplayer, ironically enough. It was the Nethack-inspired item grabs. What monster was going to drop some seriously awesome armor? Just around the corner... Hell, I don't remember how many times I went on item runs in Diablo 2.... it was getting silly after a while (I'll admit), but for the sheer fun of finding new items, it couldn't be beat. It now looks like Too Human might have some of that as well...

I wasn't expecting Diablo 2, but then again, if it were diablo 2, I'd have been disappointed.

The Viking theme isn't lost on me either, considering my disappointment with Sega's Viking (it wasn't bad, but I was hoping for more). :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah but the reason finding items on D2 was so fun (for me atleast) was making a PvP character and decking it out in the best gear.

Not to say finding items won't be fun in Too Human, I just want some use out of them since there won't be PvP. I hope there's insanely hard optional dungeons so I can put some of them to use.

The right stick sword control felt clunky and the motion control sword slash motion would at least alleviate the clunkiness of the sword swings.

There's potential in the game/series and maybe the sequel can fix the issues.

The story is nowhere near as engaging as they hyped it up to be, it seems almost an after-thought. The animations are poor, and nothing really feels fluid. Air combat especially feels weird after DMC4.

The loot was really good though, and after getting used to the mediocre-to-bad camera the action on the ground was pretty fun. I dont see why they needed the right stick for combat, that seemed like a desperate grab for casuals but this is not a casual game. You can see the loot was the focus, and that's not something that would appeal to anything but hardcore players. This game would feel better with a "Mash X, and control camera with Right Stick" function.

I will rent Too Human and play through once, but the game really isn't that great. It's an average game that got overhyped by its long development cycle and now is flooded in negative PR. Too bad, it had some good thoughts at first but they were dropped (4 player coop) or not implemented well enough.

[quote name='UnderHero5']I actually liked the demo a lot, and it will probably be the next game I buy.

I'm very much waiting for its release date, now.
It's definitely not the best game ever, but it seems like it will be very addictive, and a lot of fun... that's all I ask for in a game.[/QUOTE]

I feel this way too. I really enjoyed the demo.

I liked the demo, the controls took some getting used to but 30 minutes in I was used to it. I think this is a game that will really shine in multiplayer and it maked me wish they would have delayed it for a month or two if that ment 4 player co-op instead of the 2 player co-op that it's shipping with.

All I remember about this demo now is the "it's a good day to die" quote... well, that and that it sucked.

Such a disappointment.

Seemed pretty "meh" but then I read on local co-op play with the wifey. Just went from a "meh" to a "hrm" if I could grab it for $30 or less.

Did the little trick to play as berserker and commando. Basic attack/control-wise, berserker is very similar to w/e the default one is. Commando is a bit different, as you have an assault rifle that is much stronger than the dual pistols. The alt-fire for it is a grenade.

Overall, I think the games alright. I gave it 2 tries and I got into it more on the 2nd try when I figured out how to attack smoothly. At first, I was just clicking the right stick in the different directions I wanted to attack. Now I realize that just makes your guy juggle them up in the air and he won't always slide to the next enemy. Instead, if you keep the right stick pushed in whatever direction it was originally pushed in and then just rotate it to the next enemy, it works much more fluidly.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Seemed pretty "meh" but then I read on local co-op play with the wifey. Just went from a "meh" to a "hrm" if I could grab it for $30 or less.[/quote]
Too Human wont have local coop, only 2 player online.

[quote name='Dyson']Too Human wont have local coop, only 2 player online.[/QUOTE]

eh? fuck that then. There needs to be more local co-op games on the market.

Really digging this demo. I like using the Berserker class twice as much as the Champion, at least until I come up to a troll (I think that is the correct name of the big robot you fight twice).

The button layout takes some getting used to and the skills/equipment section is a bit technical, but I've enjoyed every minute of it so far.

Heres an awseome video showing gameplay and detailing the different classes. I urge anyone who hasn't tried the demo, or who tried the demo and didn't like it to watch this video. It really shows what you can really do with the melee and ranged combat ingame. When playing, I didn't even realize you could get so complicated in the air combat. Watch it, it might change your mind for the people complaining about not being able to do any combo's or hating on the gameplay.

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/previews/21568/World_Premiere_Too_Human_Weapons.html

btw, i'm going commando first. pewpew

When using a Berserker class against the troll, I start off by doing aerial attacks but then notice that the A button shows when I knock it back somewhat and get behind him. When I hit A, my character hops up on the thing's back but doesn't do anything (and no button on the screen or text shows up). Is there some sort of finisher I can do when I climb up on the troll's back? If so, how is it done?

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']When using a Berserker class against the troll, I start off by doing aerial attacks but then notice that the A button shows when I knock it back somewhat and get behind him. When I hit A, my character hops up on the thing's back but doesn't do anything (and no button on the screen or text shows up). Is there some sort of finisher I can do when I climb up on the troll's back? If so, how is it done?[/quote]

Yeah this sets up a finishing move to quickly take out the troll. After you get on its back you should lean to one side as the troll tries to knock you off, when this happens push both control sticks in the opposite direction. You'll do this a couple times. Then the troll stands up straight, your character gains his balance and raises his weapon above his head. When he does this push the right stick down to finish him off.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']eh? fuck that then. There needs to be more local co-op games on the market.[/quote]

It makes me wonder if they could have made local co-op work simply by fooling around more with the camera options. If they could structure it such that you get one or two fixed, zoomed-out angles on an entire room so both players can see what's going on while not resorting to split-screen...

Eh, I'm dreaming of possibilities that won't exist in the first game. ;)

[quote name='sleepy180']Heres an awseome video showing gameplay and detailing the different classes. I urge anyone who hasn't tried the demo, or who tried the demo and didn't like it to watch this video. It really shows what you can really do with the melee and ranged combat ingame. When playing, I didn't even realize you could get so complicated in the air combat. Watch it, it might change your mind for the people complaining about not being able to do any combo's or hating on the gameplay.

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/previews/21568/World_Premiere_Too_Human_Weapons.html

btw, i'm going commando first. pewpew[/quote]

Last night I said let me give Too Human another chance. I really want to like this game and I love dungeon games. So I fired it up and man second time around the game was completely different I kinda go the feel of the analog stick and I see why they did it. I was Champion and the baddies dropped a hammer (which is probally 1 of my fav weapons) I figured out how to combo better and im liking the game. I can see how it might be too simple for some people but I had alot of fun.

After watching that video im most definitely going to pick this up when it comes out. Wish they did alot more to the game but once you get the hang of it its really fun

Just wanted to say I also didn't like the demo at first. It definitely plays a lot better the second time. I think I had the camera in too far the first time round. I'm still not sure about this one but if you tried it once and didn't like it try it again for a second round. It might grow on you. Of course the cut scenes still look like crap ;)

Played the demo a couple times and really enjoy the game. Hell I'll probably spend a ton of time playing with all the gear.

Demo was kind of a mixed bag for me. Story seems like it could be ok in the full game, graphics are nice and I like the diablo-esque action rpg style gaming. But the camera sucked (was a bit better when switched to back but still a pain) and I wasn't much a fan of the controls. Would rather mash a button to attack and just have full control of camera with right stick. But I think I could adjust to that if the rest of the game is solid.

No local co-op is a big blow as well. If it gets good reviews I would probably pick it up, but not for more than $30-40.

My first impression of the Too Human demo is that the characters lack soul. There is just something missing in their eyes. One would figure a game titled "Too Human" would feature characters with more humanity. The cut scenes have a noticeable shake and appear to lack polish.

I prefer an on-screen HUD but toggled its activity. It is an eyesore. The general, skill, and inventory menu share the same troubling quality and feel very dated; the icons and graphics look uninspired. I assume frequent use of that interface would prove tiring. Monster's Den on Kongregate has better menu systems.

Combat can be fun, and controls prove responsive. However, the camera can become unmanageable, and the free-look mode does not work. Maybe I did it wrong, but having to fire while accessing free-look mode is a bit bothersome.

Overall, the demo feels very unpolished.

I thought the demo was boring, just saying, and i didnt even play the whole demo just got to the 3 doors part.

I might just buy the game for the loot. The combat is not great, but not terrible either. But pretty much after every battle during the demo that I picked something up, to the equipment screen I went.

I wish Sony and Snowblind Studios would just make Champions of Norrath 3 already, or Diablo 3 was out.

bread's done
Back