Took the plunge, need game recommendations!

poisonedpawn45

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Well,

I took the plunge and got a gaming laptop :bouncy: (Gateway 6831-FX). Problem is, I've been out of the PC gaming scene for so long, I'm not too sure what great games are out there.

Anyone have some top game recommendations for me? I have a PS3/360, so games that are on those platforms I would rather not rebuy for the PC (Bioshock, etc etc).

I am into: RPGs, Action Titles, Adventures, and possibly anything else that would be a good time (except MMOs, burned out on WoW a while ago).

The laptop came with The Witcher for free (current BB deal is $100 off laptop and any free game).

So, CAGs, what do you recommend? Older or newer games, doesn't matter to me.

Thanks for the help!

"PC Games" in general is a pretty broad area. There are about 500 things from the past 10 years I could think to recommend. Why don't you give us an idea of what genre's you are interested in so we can narrow it down?

specs please?

I would recommend Crysis if you can run it...chances are it will run on low settings...since it is a mobile machine...

Crysis
Publisher: EA Games
Developer: Crytek

Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista)
Memory: 1 GB (1.5 GB on Windows Vista)
Hard Drive: 12 GB Free
Video Memory: 256 MB (nVidia GeForce 6800/ATI Radeon 9800 Pro)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive (8X)

Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.2 GHz or Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 12 GB Free
Video Memory: 640 MB (nVidia 8800 GTS)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard & Mouse
DVD Rom Drive (8X)

Supported chipsets:
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Integrated chipsets are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.

You made your first mistake already. Why get a laptop for gaming? It's gonna be nigh useless in a few years for gaming and you can't do much about it.

Having said that.....

Stalker is pretty amazing but requires a beefy pc. Dark Messiah is fun and cheap at CC. Diablo 2 is and always will be a favorite of mine. Crysis is pretty good. The original FEAR for pc (even though it's on console) is of course better on pc so you should consider that.

That's a few I can think of off the top.

I rather doubt you missed out on Half-Life 2, but if you did, pick up the Orange Box ASAP. It came out on consoles, but the PC version's controls are far superior. That's 5 amazing games for the price of 1.

STALKER is fun and cheap if you can pick it up at Target or CC. Guild Wars is pretty good on PC. Half Life 2 is awesome. Baldur's Gate was pretty fun along with Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights. Just depends on what you like. COD 4 is also fun.

stalker, company of heroes, lotrBFME2, counter strike source.

half life 2, episode 1 & 2, team fortress 2, and portal.

Call of duty 2, and 4.

Unreal tournament 3, age of empires3, command and conquer 3.

MMO's I know you dont want, but tabula rasa I am playing right now and its definately good fun.

games off the top of my head, not in any order whatsoever.

Add me to steam and xfire, p00ndawg.

Thanks for the recommendations.
SpecTrE3353:

"PC Games" in general is a pretty broad area. There are about 500 things from the past 10 years I could think to recommend. Why don't you give us an idea of what genre's you are interested in so we can narrow it down?
In the first post I listed: RPGs, Action Titles, Adventures, and possibly anything else that would be a good time (except MMOs, burned out on WoW a while ago).

Specs are:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 5450 CPU 1.67 GHz
  • 3 GB DDR2 RAM
  • 250 GB HDD 5400 rpm
  • Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS 512 MB GDDR3
  • 17" 1440x900 display
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
I picked up a laptop since it is also for school, not just for gaming.

Currently playing Orange Box and COD4 on 360, each one is quite amazing.

Anyone have an opinion on the Dungeon Seige series? Also, how was Neverwinter Nights 2? I played the original, loved it.

I will look into Crysis, UT3, Baldurs Gate, Stalker and the other recommendations, thanks!

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']Thanks for the recommendations.

In the first post I listed: RPGs, Action Titles, Adventures, and possibly anything else that would be a good time (except MMOs, burned out on WoW a while ago).

Specs are:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 5450 CPU 1.67 GHz
  • 3 GB DDR2 RAM
  • 250 GB HDD 5400 rpm
  • Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTS 512 MB GDDR3
  • 17" 1440x900 display
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
I picked up a laptop since it is also for school, not just for gaming.

Anyone have an opinion on the Dungeon Seige series? Also, how was Neverwinter Nights 2? I played the original, loved it.

I will look into Crysis, UT3, Baldurs Gate, Stalker and the other recommendations, thanks![/quote]
thats a weak chip.

careful with what you buy.

The card tho is sick, so it should make up, but you're going to be losing a ton of frames.

[quote name='p00ndawg']thats a weak chip.

careful with what you buy.

The card tho is sick, so it should make up, but you're going to be losing a ton of frames.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree on the CPU. Unfortunately, faster CPUs with the 8800m were way out of my budget.

On the plus side, Gateway enables upgrades of the CPU pretty easily on this thing. When my wallet doesn't hate me as much, I plan on getting a nice upgraded Penryn to go in there.

System in the stock config gave me a 3dMark06 of 6915.

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']Yeah, I agree on the CPU. Unfortunately, faster CPUs with the 8800m were way out of my budget.

On the plus side, Gateway enables upgrades of the CPU pretty easily on this thing. When my wallet doesn't hate me as much, I plan on getting a nice upgraded Penryn to go in there.

System in the stock config gave me a 3dMark06 of 6915.[/quote]

a little low.

but pretty decent.

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']In the first post I listed: RPGs, Action Titles, Adventures, and possibly anything else that would be a good time (except MMOs, burned out on WoW a while ago).[/quote]

Sorry my fault... somehow I overlooked that when I read your post.

Some great RPG's I can recommend would be Baldurs Gate 1/2/Expansion packs (that right there is like 500 hours of gaming), Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines (has its faults but is only $20 on steam and I had a ton of fun playing it just recently), Fallout 2 and Oblivion (if you didn't already play it on your 360).

I think there are some user-made patches for Bloodlines that made the game a wholelot better.

It was certainly a forgettable game though. Except for the desu vampire.

For an oldie, play Fallout or Fallout 2 if you haven't played either and plan on getting Fallout 3. Then you will start to get an idea of why the core Fallout fans get pissed-off at Bethesda so easily. ;)

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']Yeah, I agree on the CPU. Unfortunately, faster CPUs with the 8800m were way out of my budget.

System in the stock config gave me a 3dMark06 of 6915.[/QUOTE]

They let you upgrade the processors?

I was under the impressions that laptops have always been "you're stuck with it" ordeal in that they cannot be upgraded once manufactured. Is this some new type of laptop?

I saw this Gateway in Sunday's Best Buy ad and thought it looked ok. After reading the review you posted, I would buy this if I were in the market for a notebook. Being able to upgrade the CPU is huge for a gaming notebook!:cool: Plus Best Buy gives you a free game to go along with it!

I honestly would suggest to upgrade the CPU asap when you can ... already mentioned though.

Add another to the list for UT3 ... it's freakin amazing. Crysis is suppose to be good. Pretty much any game on console that you liked I would consider for PC because of the mods and all ... but that gets expensive after time.

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']How is the multiplayer for UT3? Plenty of players at all hours of the night?[/quote]

I dont play it alot, especially since I have like 50 games right now that I need to play.

But I have never Not been able to find a game.

If you're interested in Unreal, you can snag the Anthology (every Unreal game save UT3) for $10-15. I've been able to find enough games to keep me busy.

On that CPU its really going to bottleneck the great ram and video card you have, I'd recommend picking up the older games and playing through those until you can get a better CPU and enjoy most of the latest games the way they were meant to be played.

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']Wow, that is an awesome deal![/quote]

Indeed. I regret spending $20 on the Anthology last may. Drats.

How is UT3? Last I heard, the sales were lackluster on the PC side...

Again UT3 is amazing ... I always found a game to play online with ease (heck it's all I played). All games that are on PC but also on console have lackluster sales I think. It's been a long time since the PC version out sold a console version. I think it's because people find it hard to keep up to date with hardware / drivers / etc etc. Plus if there's a problem and your not to computer savy it's hard to find the right people to talk to (if you build your own)

Anyways, UT3 is amazing, the only problem is you'll prolly have to play on lower settings due to the processor. Make sure you download the new patch on their site as well (in their forums). There is also a great tweak list under the technical forums on their site. I'd also recomend the collectors edition of it if you're into modding and mapping and such. The bonus DVD makes it incredibly easy. I was disapointed that the GS employee actually didn't try to sell it to me. Instead he just said "The collectors edition doesn't really come with anything special" :( . I remembered two days later it came with the mapping / modding DVDs I wanted.

To make a long story short ... UT3 is a killer game :D

bread's done
Back