top 10 games you had the most fun with in the GC/Xbox/Ps2/DC gen

CriscoKidd

CAGiversary!
consoles only.

For me:

1) PSO(DC) - This game blew me away. Huge timesink for me. Liked how you could be a 56k'er and still hang. co-op was extremely fun, treasure hunting and leveling was addictive, and no online fee. Had fun with the GC version as well, but not as much, despite the improvements.

2) Madden 2006(PS2) - Only have 2 madden games, this and 03. Was a little bit of a toss up, but I went with 06 due to it being the first one I went online with and played with a little more competitively. These top 2 games have logged the most hours for me by far.

3) Kingdom Hearts - loved the combat, esp the boss fights.

4) Tales of Symphonia - Battle system and characters were a hit for me.

5) Okami - the brush was fun, and the story and characters were really entertaining.

6) Zelda: TP - was the game I was expecting ww to be(and it had nothing to do with the cel-shading)

7) Dark Cloud 2 - cel shaded dungeon crawling ftw.

8) FF 12 - liked the battle system and a fan with some of the things they were trying to accomplish.

9) Metroid Prime - beautiful game. Loved the atmosphere, and even though I was opposed to the FPS style, it just fits.

10) FF 10 - this game got me to buy a ps2. I liked the quick party switching and seeing the turn order.

Games that I haven't played yet(or enough of) that may bump off some of this list:

Paper Mario : the thousand year door(am currently having a blast w this)
Dragon Quest 8(was really into this, but my PS2 wont read the disc for some reason)
MGS3
Devil May Cry series
RE4
SMT: Nocturne
Tales of the Abyss
Kingdom Hearts 2

In no particular order

Sonic Adventure 1- First DC game I got and I played all the way through it more than once (because I didn't have a memory card the first time :p )

Sonic Adventure 2- Also great fun. I even went so far as to get all emblems to get the "updated" Green Hill zone.

Devil May Cry 1- After playing the demo I pretty much had to go out and buy it right then. I still play it to this day.

Devil May Cry 3- Possibly my favorite game ever. I enjoyed almost everything about this game.

Resident Evil Code Veronica- The first Resident Evil game I played. Bought it for the DC one day when I saw it on sale for $20. Scared the shit out of me the first time I played it :lol:

Resident Evil 4- Obvious choice. Easily one of the best games ever.

Metal Gear Solid 3- This game was just awesome. Had the best ending of a video game ever.

Indigo Prophecy- Fun, unique, innovative. It was a blast to "play" and one of the top games last gen for me.

Shadow of The Colossus- Fun times killing the giants and figuring out how. As fun to watch as it is to play.

Advent Rising- Glitches were over exaggerated. I had a blast playing it. Only thing I hated about it is the cliffhanger ending because the sequels got cancelled.

Space Channel 5 (and part 2)- Fun game. Both me and my sister enjoyed it a ton.

No order...

1 - God of War. I was late picking up a PS2 (only 6-8 months ago) and I loved every minute of this game.

2 - Dragon Quest VIII. I'm a big fan of the series and logged 100 hours into this badboy.

3 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. A really good role playing game set in the Star Wars universe.

4 - Super Smash Bros. Melee. The first game I bought with my Gamecube. If you've played the first one, you know why this is a must have.

5 - Soul Calibur II (GC). Really fun to play a fighting game with Link. Really fun.

6 - Animal Crossing. I can't tell you how many hours my wife and I logged into this game. Literally hundreds.

7 - Donkey Konga. A really cool game for a guy that never had a DDR game.

8 - Luigi's Mansion. Pretty short but tons of fun. Pretty overlooked IMO.

9 - Mario Kart: Double Dash. Come on, it's Mario Kart!

10 - Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. I really liked the GBA connectivity on this game. Really adds a whole new aspect to it.

1. Socom 2 My first ever online console shooter. Was very very addictive before all the modders took over.

2. Madden 04: to me the very last "great" madden game. I bought 05 and haven't bought a new version since.

3. Street Fighter Anniversy collection: Third strike is amazing. I got amazing mileage out of my Hori arcade sticks with this one

4. Tekken Tag Tourney: first ever ps2 game I still play it to this day.

5. Ikaruga: I like a challenge every once in awhile.

6. Metal Gear Solid 2 PS2: I really enjoyed this game. even if the story was whacky.

7. The Legend of Zelda Windwaker: Don't know why this game gets so much flak. I had fun with it.

8. Culdcept: I like MTG and monopoly so it was a natural fit.

9.GTA Vice City: my personal fav GTA

10. Amplitude: everyone should have this game

1) Halo 2 (Xbox) - I spent countless Live hours blasting fools alongside my clan members, yet never climbed higher than a 34. So maybe I didn't blast as many fools as I used to think.

2) Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) - Um, graphically amazing and the game controlled pretty well on the Dreamcast controller. Ahh ... Dreamcast controller (Homer drool).

3) Rainbow Six 3 (Xbox) - While the responsiveness wasn't perfect, voice command really helped the immersive feel of the game. It played as well as it looked, too.

4) Final Fantasy XII (PSII) - Took an entire month of my life, 80 hours, but I became a fan of the real-time battle system. It won me over ... no more annoying, turn-based, drawn-out battles.

5) SSX (PS2) - When my friend got a PS2 at launch, everything sucked. Then we tried SSX on a whim. That game was all kinds of fun, and it had some great multiplayer, too.

6) Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube) - I really enjoyed the intuitive combat system of this game, some of the voice work was hokey, as with a lot of RPGs, and the story was just mediocre, but it was fun for me.

7) Time Splitters 2 (Gamecube) - I tried really hard to get my friends into the same Goldeneye-fests we used to play with this game, but they wouldn't give up their Halo. I eventually had to cross over to the Microsoft side, but this game was like Gioldenye, only better. Great multiplayer, but simply so-so maps.

8) Metal Gear Solid III - Completely one-upped MGS II. I thought it was gonna suck when I heard they were taking it back to the 60s, but that's what made it fresh/enjoyable/unique. Great storyline, great gameplay, great boss fights, but not-so-great camera. Glad they fixed this.

9) Tony Hawk 4 - The last great Tony Hawk game I played, from there on out, it just becmae one big cluster-fuck of shit to do. This one had loads of replay value, hidden extras, and it was my first Cube game.

10) Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast) - I don't think there's any explanation necessary. This game took the Street Fighter formula (my favorite) and added the most insane combination of fighters ever assembled.

From what I remember, 5 years of having GC, and PS2 only only recently (no xbox) was:

10) Sly 1: A great game I only played recently...one of my favorite series so far. Gameplay feels so smooth and if you get good you can whip through the levels without stopping unlike some platformers.

9) Shadow of the Colossus: Only played half this game, but the moment I started it I thought it was awesome at how large the monsters were and how you could climb up them. The only reason this game isnt higher is cause I havent owned it and beaten, hence I havent really been able to experience it completely. Still wanna buy this to beat the last half.

8) Super Mario Sunshine: Good game, was expecting a lot more though as Super Mario 64 was one of if not my FAVORITE games for the N64 and I still vividly have that entire game in my memory. I had lots of fun first time through, but I don't remember the gameplay nearly as much...just wasn't as good, but still a great game.

7) Luigi's Mansion: My first GC/next gen game...never had seen graphics like this and I was stunned! Beat this game like 10 times...lol

6) Super Monkey Ball: Great gameplay, shortcuts were fun to find, it just needed harder modes and MORE levels. The enjoyment I had with the minigames with friends is what bumps this one up for me.

5) Paper Mario: TTYD: Loved the N64 one, this one was awesome too. All around great game and one of my favorites for any console.

4) Fire Emblem: POR: Fire emblem is one of if not my favorite series ever...beaten 4 FE games at least 3 times each and I can never get enough of em, but they are getting pretty easy on any mode. I'll be buying a Wii when FE comes out for it for sure, maniac mode or whatever sounds particularily awesome.

3) Animal Crossing: Probably the best new series or type of game I guess that came out...this game had me for months and I don't remember any game taking up time like AC did. Awesome game, can't get into it anymore though lol

2) Wind Waker: Best Zelda I'd ever played...I was younger and the graphics were the BEST I'd ever seen. Beat this game probably 4-5 times....very awesome, the huge maps and sailing was epic as well for me.

1) Super Smash Bros. Melee: Only game I remember clocking 100+ hours in by myself. I beat every mode, got nearly every trophy, beat adventure/story/whatever mode with every character, unlocked basically everything...and playing with friends was an absolute blast.

EDIT: OH DANG, can't believe I forgot LOZ:TP...that goes somewhere probably around 5 or 6....great game, great gameplay (some of the best I played), freaking HATED the story...otherwise it'd be #1 for sure.

Overall not bad gen...but I already like this new gen 10x more. This GC/Xbox/PS2/DC gen I can definitely say ranks 3rd, but a good third, from the gens I've played games for so far....

1. Socom 2

2. Halo 2

3. GTA: Vice City

4. MVP 2005

5. Final Fantasy X

6. Super Smash Brothers

7. Metal Gear Solid 2

8. Super Mario Sunshine

9. Tony Hawk 4

10. Jak and Daxter 1

In no particular order, the games I remember having the most fun playing were:
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 (DC)
Tony Hawk 2 (DC)
GTA 3
PGR 2
Forza
Halo 2
NBA Street Vol 2

10. Halo

9. Socom: US Navy Seals

8. Guitar Hero

7. Taiko Drum Master

6. DDR Extreme

5. NFL Blitz 2000

4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

3. Resident Evil 4

2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

1. Halo 2

1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic :xbox:
2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance :ps2:
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee :gc:
4. Halo 2 :xbox:
5. Grand Theft Auto III :ps2:
6. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker :gc:
7. Fable :xbox:
8. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater :ps2:
9. Gran Turismo 3 :ps2:
10. Pikmin 2 :gc:

No order

Super Smash Bros. (NGC)
Guitar Hero (PS2)
Halo 2 (Xbox)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Burnout: Revenge (Xbox)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS2)
SSX 3 (Xbox)
Psychonauts (Xbox)
Zelda: Wind Waker (NGC)

DC Shenmue

Xbox Shenmue 2, Splinter cell series, Halo, All- star baseball

PS2: God of war, God of War 2, Bully, Onimusha, Resident evil, themeparo Roller coaster.

GC: Gun, Super Mario Sunshine.

In no real order:
Resident Evil 4
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Zelda: Wind Waker
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Kingdom Hearts/Kingdom Hearts 2
Star Wars KotOR
Katamari Damacy/We Love Katamari
Indigo Prophecy
Jade Empire
Zelda Ocarina of Time/ Collector Edition Bonus Disks (never owned it on the 64)

Honorable Mentions:
Eternal Darkness
Fable
Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee/Save the Earth
Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Psychonauts
Spider-Man 2
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2
Tales of Symphonia
Timesplitters series
War of the Monsters

In no particular order:

Phantasy Star Online (DC)
Toy Commander (DC)
Shenmue (DC)
Fur Fighters (DC)

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XB)
Halo 2 (XB)
Spider-man 2 (XB)
Beyond Good and Evil (XB)
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (XB)
Prince of Persia (XB)
Rainbow Six: 3 (XB)

Super Monkey Ball (GC)
Resident Evil 4 (GC)
Pikmin (GC)

Onimusha (PS2)
Devil May Cry (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
God of War (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)

Way too many systems to pick a mere 10, my list has 19, take it or leave it.

Typing of the dead (dc)
MarioKart Double Dash (cube)
Guitar Hero (ps2)
Halo 2 (xbox)
Grand Theft Auto III (ps2)
Katamari Damacy (ps2)
Tony Hawk 2 (dc)
Soul Calibur (dc)
Resident Evil 4 (cube)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (dc)

Well my experience in last gen was limited to DC (Got Xmas '99) and GC (started only last summer)

So, out of that, in no particular order:

Sonic Adventure
Crazy Taxi
Toy Commander
DOA2 (still play it sometimes with friends)
Shenmue
(probably more I can't remember)

Super Mario Sunshine
Luigi's Mansion
Zelda: Wind Waker
Chibi-Robo
Super Monkey Ball 2
LEGO Star Wars
Super Mario Strikers
Donkey Konga
Paper Mario: TTYD

Even with just those 2 systems I can't possibly narrow it down to 10. Take those 14.

This is by no means a "best of" list, just the stuff I had the most fun with.

10. True Crime: New York City (GCN)
9. Need For Speed Underground 2 (PS2)
8. We Love Katamari (PS2)
7. 4x4 Evo 2 (GCN)
6. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)
5. Katamari Damacy (PS2)
4. Need For Speed: Most Wanted (PS2)
3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
2. Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2)
1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)

most fun?!?! DDS and nocturne shit rank as some of my faves, but not coz theyre 'fun'

fun games:

Guilty Gear XX (PS2)
3rd Strike (DC)
Ikaruga (DC)
Viewtiful Joe (GC)
Gradius V (PS2)
Shadow Heart Covenant (PS2)
Technic Beat (Ps2)
Rez (DC)
DMC 3 (PS2)
Onimusha 2

runners ups:
Okami
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Shinobi (PS2)
Xenosaga III

1. Culdcept
2. Deus Ex: Invisible War
3. Jade Empire
4. Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
5. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
6. Dynasty Warriors 4
7. Fable
8. Soulcalibur II
9. Tekken 5
10. Morrowind: GOTY

This was a very hard decision for me but I'd go with:

1) Super Smash Bros. Melee -- I got this as an Xmas gift way back in 2001 and I still own and play it.

2) Counter-Strike -- One of the first titles I ever played online with Live. Much like SSBM, I still play it to this day.

3) Virtua Fighter 4 Evo -- I dumped over 100 hours into it without ever so much as facing a human opponent. And they say VF5 needs online play :roll:

4) Sonic Adventure (DC) -- Even though it holds up like shit, I had a blast playing through it when the DC was still new, and Sonic Team was still cool.

5)ESPN NFL 2k5 (Xbox) -- The only game that took me from absolutly hating football, to being consumed by it. Take every Madden game ever made, roll them up and you still would have 1/100 of what NFL 2k5 was.

6)Panzer Dragoon Orta -- The game that ultimatly forced me into buying an Xbox. Everything about this game was simply awesome.

7)Resident Evil 4 -- I was very afraid after reading about the change from what RE4 was going to be, into what it eventually became. One of the few games that could made me so obsessed, I had to play through three days straight to beat it. No other game since then has come close.

8)Resident Evil (NGC) -- I wan't to play this game so badly I imported the JPN version a month early just to do so.

9)Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2, NGC, Xbox, GBA) -- I've always had a soft spot for THPS games, ever since playing the original on DC way. And yes, I really did play and own it for all of those systems.

10) Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker & Metroid Prime TIE -- I was the only one estatic when they announced MP to be a 1rst person shooter, and wind waker to be cel-shaded. So I wasn't surprised when they both turned out to be so damn awesome. My only gripe that keeps these from being my fav games of all time, is the lame fetch quests at the end. What the hell was Nintendo and Retro thinking?!

[quote name='-Never4ever-']

10) Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker & Metroid Prime TIE -- I was the only one estatic when they announced MP to be a 1rst person shooter, and wind waker to be cel-shaded. So I wasn't surprised when they both turned out to be so damn awesome. My only gripe that keeps these from being my fav games of all time, is the lame fetch quests at the end. What the hell was Nintendo and Retro thinking?![/quote]

Not the only one, when I saw cel shaded link it was the most anticipated game for me this entire gen...I don't think ANYONE liked the idea more than me :p

games that really stood out to me this gen:

DMC - style and action that was revolutionary at the time. my #1 actioner, over all the imitations and sequels

DQVIII - story, characters, plot, and the all important FEEL. this one brought it with one of the best endings ever. 2nd to Chrono Trigger in my book.

ICO - been said many times, but this one ratifies gaming as an art form. simply stunning.

----

lots of honorable mentions but those are the ones showed me how good games can be. SotC, RE4, GoW, Halo, Burnout 3 (for the first hour at least) and others were quite fun as well.

Most fun? Off the top of my head ...

Amplitude, Project Gotham, THPS3, Grand Theft Auto III, Gran Turismo 3, NFL 2K5, Taiko Drum Master, Resident Evil 4, Naruto GNT!4, and ... probably Burnout 3.

EDIT: Shit, I forgot about Virtua Fighter 4/Evo and Soul Calibur. Oops. :lol:

10) Super Monkey Ball (GC)
9) Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
8) Metroid Prime
7) Skies of Arcadia (DC)
6) Marvel vs Capcom 2 (DC)
5) Beach Spikers
4) God of War
3) Resident Evil 4 (GC)
2) Final Fantasy X
1) Phantasy Star Online (DC)

No Particular Order:

1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Substance (PS2) - Great single-player, great extras, and the best online game of the generation for me.

2. Naruto GNT 4 (GC) - The best multiplayer and fighting game of the generation.

3. Crazy Taxi (DC) - Fast and Furiously fun game with great minigames. The best DC game.

4. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - Great story, great look and visuals, and it was extremely fun.

5. Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2) - Best racing game of the generation. It has the thrills, the speed, and the fun that most racing games don't have.

6. Guitar Hero II (PS2) - Improves on every fault GH had and adds a great soundtrack, great multiplayer, and it just kicks ass.

7. Madden 04 (PS2) - Great new franchise mode, innovative use of the right analog stick, and it was a blast to play. Best sports game of the generation.

8. Tony Hawk PS 3 (PS2) - The best extreme sports game of the generation. The first Tony Hawk got everything right: music, level design, great look, and it was extremely fun. The last of the simpler Tony Hawk games.

9. Bully (PS2) - Takes the GTA formula and enhances and refines it along with combining it with a great story, great character design, and great gameplay.

10. Katamari Damacy (PS2) - Completely came out of left field and it was a simple, but effective game.

In no particular order, off the top of my head, so probably error-laden:

1. Wind Waker
2. Naruto GNT 4
3. Shadow of the Colossus
4. Resident Evil 4 (GC version of course)
5. Burnout 2/3
6. Ninja Gaiden
7. Halo 1
8. Crimson Skies
9. Mario Sunshine
10. We Love Katamari

In no particular order:

Prince Of Persia: Sands of Time
Max Payne
ICO
Katamari Damacy
Resident Evil 4
Super Monkey Ball
Chibi Robo
Psychonauts
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee

Limited to ten. I forgot how many great games there were this last generation.

I too am following the pattern of "No Particular Order" :)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds (Xbox)
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Xbox)
Soul Caliber 2 (Xbox)
Dead or Alive 3 (Xbox)
Mario Party 6 (GCN)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (DC)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Xbox)
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)
Super Smash Bros: Melee (GCN)

Probably missing some..but, whatever lol

[quote name='Milkyman']nobody else liked typing of the dead? :cry:[/QUOTE]

typing of the dead is awesome, but I just can't put it in my top 10.

Definitely a big reason for holding onto my DC however. That, Jet Grind Radio, and all the awesome 2d fighters.

Love the campy humor in it.

In no order, and without including seperate iterations of a franchise, and ONLY games I've finished.

Halo
Super Smash Bros Melee
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Kingdom Hearts 2
Counter-Strike (Xbox- first online console game I REALLY got into)
Metroid Prime
Star Wars: KOTOR
GTA:SA
Half-Life 2
Virtua Fighter 4 Evo

(Of course, I haven't finished Paper Mario, FFXII, FFX, Okami, Metroid Prime 2, Psychonauts, Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Quest 8, Rogue Galaxy.. etc, etc)

DC
Dead of Alive 2
Resident Evil: CV

PS2
Shadow of the Colossus
SMT: Nocturne
Twisted Metal: Black(+online)
Final Fantasy XII

GC
Mario Superstar Baseball
Chibi-Robo

XB
Ninja Gaiden/Black
Halo

So hard to cut down but here goes:
Halo 2-greatest online console experience ever. Too many great memories. About 12 of my high school friends and a teacher played together kicking ass and taking names.
Final Fantasy X
Shadow of the Colossus
Grand Theft Auto III-Mind blowing at the time
Shenmue
Resident Evil 4
God of War
Katamari Damacy
Metal Gear Solid 3
Ah, it's really hard picking only ten. SSBM would probably have to be my last pick though.

bread's done
Back