Top 5 Favorite FPS's

1. Perfect Dark
2. TimeSplitters 2
3. Goldeneye
4. Halo
5. Doom 64

And to those wondering, yes, I still am able to enjoy the N64 shooters as much as ever.

Quake 3 Arena
Team Fortress Classic
Counterstrike
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

As you can see, I'm all about the multiplayer. I can't stand single player, story mode FPS's.

[quote name='mjainerin']is there a site that shows you what shooters have 4 player split screen[/quote]

What kind of game you are looking for? Just any generations? The best one in recent memory is COD 4.

wow, i love how most of these lists have games only in the current gen. no respect for the classics, i tell ya

in no particular order
1. Goldeneye
2. Bioshock
3. Quake II
4. Doom II
5. Half Life 2

quake 2
-deathmatch was great. it's probably still great.

half life
-i only played multiplayer and it was fun, i liked the weapon balance. it used to be packed... and then counterstrike came out.

goldeneye
-the only single player campaign i really liked. probably the last single player campaign i played through.

halo 3
-my intro to high level multiplayer. i got pretty decent. wish i could say the same about my team. joking, of course. partially.

i don't have a fifth. maybe doom1, shareware edition.

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Half-Life 2
Battlefield 1942
Bioshock
Metroid Prime[/quote]

Metroid Prime easily makes my Top 5 as far as first-person games. I just kept going back on forth on wheter it's a shooter or an adventure game.

I actually believed Nintendo's FIRST-PERSON ADVENTURE bullshit... lol

In no particular order:

Unreal Tournament (PC) - my first foray into online gaming (though I don't do much of it these days), and though if you look at it today and say the later versions are far superior, it just was all around fun. I tried getting back into the UT frenzy with UTIII on PS3, but the franchise is just too fast paced for me these days.

Halo (Xbox) - out of the three, easily the best of the bunch. The other two traded single player quality for multiplayer, while this one had both an enjoyable SP experience as well as some of the best multiplayer of its time. An overall great experience. It's unfortunate this level of quality may never be seen in a Halo FPS again.

Zero Tolerance (Genesis) - what got me into first person games. Me and my brother would play this game for days and just see how far we could get. You could backtrack to any completed level to find any extra ammo and/or health you may need. A wide variety of enemies and some excellent boss fights.

Rainbow Six 3 (Xbox) - one of the first Xbox Live titles I owned (alongside the fantastic Crimson Skies), and really was the title to play on Xbox Live for me until Ghost Recon 2. This was before Halo 2 hit, this was when Xbox Live had a somewhat mature crowd, where you can enter into a room of randoms and not having to worry about muting the other 10-15 players. Late night sessions online playing terrorist hunt and team games was what made this game so fun. Tried reliving the fun with R6V on 360 but the online crowd these days is total garbage. Friends only it seems.

Red Faction 2 (PS2) - it may not be the most distinguished series out there, but this game had some of the best multiplayer to boot. Whether it was with human friends or bots, I would play day long sessions just trying to outlast the competition. The single player portion lacked a quality story but was enjoyable to play every now and then to get away from the MP addiction. It's unfortunate THQ has completely ruined all hopes for this franchise to return to its origins with Red Faction Guerrilla.

Notables:
- Call of Duty 4 (360/PS3) - had everything going for it. An intense single player campaign, a large scale multiplayer system, and just some fantastic gameplay. Unfortunately it was too short for its own good. This day in age when someone shells out $60 for a game, they should expect at least a 12 hour campaign. This game is beatable in less than 7 hours.

- Medal of Honor (PS1) - what started it all for the MoH series. One of the three quality console games in the franchise (other two: Airborne and Frontline), and for its time it was one of the better shooting experiences on the PS. I hope for a PSN release.

- The Orange Box (360/PS3) - I was never big on Half Life. I wanted to be. It by all means bled high quality, and Valve has done a magnificent job raising the stakes for themselves time and time again. But the story just wasn't my kind of thing. However The Orange Box was probably the best $60 I ever spent on a 360/PS3 game. Now with it being

Red Faction is very underrated! One of the first games that employed destructible environment (didin't feel like a gimmick either)

Quick question, is Haze that bad? I want to like it because it is PS3 exclusive, but all I've heard is shit about it. What's so horrible about it?

Sorry to derail the thread ahead of time. No disrespect, yo.

EDIT:

To keep with the thread, my top 5 if I can even think of 5.

1. DOOM (PS1) I remember playing this for days on end when I was younger and some of the creatures scared the shit out of me.

2. Halo 2 A very solid game, regardless of the rep that comes with Halo.

3. Red Faction As others have said, super solid FPS.

4. BLACK Greatest PS2 FPS, hands down.

5. Resistance: Fall of Man This is only on the list because I honestly can't think of another FPS that I enjoyed to the fullest. I really didn't even like the game that much.

Anyone who said Resistance 2 is suspect.

I just finished the first couple of levels and man, talk about a step back. I liked the first Resistance, it was an above average game. The second one is doo doo, that I'd put on the level of Haze or Blacksite Area 51.

Oh wait, it's just TMK and Thomas. Carry on.

Zero Tolerance (Genesis) - what got me into first person games. Me and my brother would play this game for days and just see how far we could get. You could backtrack to any completed level to find any extra ammo and/or health you may need. A wide variety of enemies and some excellent boss fights.

Completely agree there, always sucked when you would be left with only the demolitions or medic, always wanted to be the tank or the asian woman with the best weapons.

Red Faction: Great weapon selection, and the geomod made multiplayer matches more interesting than they would've been otherwise. Plus a great single player campaign.

Duke Nukem 3D: played this for years between all the expansions and over Kali, good memories here, even though I was terrible at it.

Goldeneye: Even the single player missions had near infinite replay value, to test out all the cheat switches or go for better times. Probably added up to weeks of total playing time. (Cougar Magnum!)

Half Life/Team Fortress Classic/Counter Strike - easily the best part of my high school years, playing these three in C++, Java , web design, & AP programming, for an hour every day.

Honorable Mentions:
Disruptor (PSX)
Lo Wang Shadow Warrior (PC)
Quake (PC)
Final Doom (PSX)
Turok Rage Wars (N64) - fun multiplayer w/ awesome capture the flag/monkey game
The World Is Not Enough - not quite Goldeneye, but still fun

1. Half-Life 2
2. Portal
3. Bioshock
4. Metroid Prime 3
5. Mirror's Edge

I'm not particullary a fan of FPS. Most of the games on my list aren't traditional FPS and some may not even consider them part of the genre.

1. Counter-Strike 1.6 (just pre source, though source if fun just not top 5)
2. Team Fortress 2
3. Half-Life 2
4. Unreal Tournament Series
5. Quake Series/Call of Duty 4/Battlefield 2 (can't seem to pick just one)

[quote name='bardiya27']Metroid Prime easily makes my Top 5 as far as first-person games. I just kept going back on forth on wheter it's a shooter or an adventure game.

I actually believed Nintendo's FIRST-PERSON ADVENTURE bullshit... lol[/quote]
To be honest I actually hesitated too because of that, but meh I think Bioshock is just as much a first person adventure game as Metroid Prime is, so why not?

[quote name='Rodimus']1. Half-Life 2
2. Portal
3. Bioshock
4. Metroid Prime 3
5. Mirror's Edge

I'm not particullary a fan of FPS. Most of the games on my list aren't traditional FPS and some may not even consider them part of the genre.[/quote]
Yeah... Portal and Mirror's Edge are practically the definitions of an FPA (first-person adventure). Portal being chock full of puzzles and the firearms in ME are really temporary power-ups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke Nukem 3D
Undying (an underrated Clive Barker game)
Far Cry
Halo 1
Star Trek Elite Force

Controversial Honorable Mention: Kingpin: Life of Crime

[quote name='zewone']Anyone who said Resistance 2 is suspect.

I just finished the first couple of levels and man, talk about a step back. I liked the first Resistance, it was an above average game. The second one is doo doo, that I'd put on the level of Haze or Blacksite Area 51.

Oh wait, it's just TMK and Thomas. Carry on.[/QUOTE]
So true. What the fuck happened Insomniac?

1. Rainbow six vegas 1&2
2. Socom: Confrontation
3. F.E.A.R.
4. Gears of War
5. MGS4

Gotta give props to Rise of the Triads.

Can't believe I never played Rainbow Six 3, it looks pretty awesome!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjAcoEMEJ-Y[/media]

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (480p, 16:9, awesome multiplayer!)
TimeSplitters 2
Hλlf-Life (much better story than TS, but multiplayer is just crouch-jumping and hardcore BS)
Hλlf-Life² (not very far, probably better than HL)
007 Nightfire (chances are the newer 007 FPS' are better, but one is enough. Very similar to TS. Fun, pick up and play, not very serious.)

And not Halo. I pirated Halo, and it was not worth the DVD I burned it to.

5. Goldeneye 007 -- Only here for nostalgia. I can never go back to it but I remember loving the multiplayer.
4. Counter-Strike: Source -- This is only here because I need to waste space. I don't really care much for most FPS games. I own the game but I haven't played it much since I bought it after I bought TF2.
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare -- The first single-player I actually really enjoyed (it still wouldn't be my ideal) and multiplayer is very fun too.
2. Team Fortress 2 -- I'm still playing this with nearly 600 hours logged but I'll wait a little to move this up.
1. Counter-Strike -- If I logged that much into TF2 and I played Counter-Strike for a couple of years, I have a minimum of 1000 hours logged.

I have tried Halo, Half-Life, Resistance, etc. I didn't give a **** (that's not to say they're horrible games). I also don't count Portal or games that aren't in FIRST-PERSON.

1. Halo: Combat Evolved - Played it as a Nintendo fanboy and it made me ask mommy for an Xbox. Bungie were ahead of their time.
2. Halo 2 - Amazing online set-up that every other FPS should mimic.
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Favorite singleplayer of an FPS, multiplayer is so polished and innovative.
4. Team Fortress 2 - Very well executed atmosphere with balanced gameplay.
5. Battlefield: Bad Company - First Bf I enjoyed (I played Bf:1942 and Bf2), I dig the attackers vs defenders scenario more than Conquest and only miss parachutes and Blackhawks, but the singleplayer campaign with the slap-happy squad that love to blow shit up in this awesome engine makes up for it.

While you wouldn't of guessed it (based on that list), I have been gaming since the SNES with Mario. I've logged the most hours of gaming in FPSs and it all started with 007: GoldenEye at a friend's birthday party. I have played Half-Life 2 (and Episode 1 and some of Episode 2) and I find that to be so boring as it overstayed its welcome since I don't care for the story/characters/enemies in there and the whole game begged for an iron sight mode. And as for Counter-Strike... the matches just play the same each round. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was close, but you have to manually separate the good servers from the bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't rank them, but:

Doom
Crysis + Warhead
Counter-Strike/Source
Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB
Call of Duty + United Offensive

HL, HL2, FEAR, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal Tournament, UT2k4, Far Cry, Halo, Quake III Arena and several others could be interchanged for those five.

bread's done
Back