Top Music Artists of All Time List (List Yours)

If I had extended this to 10, which I am considering I would add
6. Eric Clapton
7. R.L. BUrnside
8. Jon Spencer Blues Exlposion
9. Queens of the stone age
10. Eagles of Dealh Metal

[quote name='javeryh']Pearl Jam. End of discussion.[/quote]

No, no.. wrong thread. This is "best" bands.. not "most over-rated, angst filled, melodramatic" bands.

1. Marvin Gaye
2. The Afghan Whigs
3. Johnny Cash
4. Chuck Berry
5. Billie Holiday
Otis Redding
(tie)

Jon Spencer would likely be in my top 10 as well along with Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, Sinatra, and, and....I can't decide! Probably the Beatles cause of their influence although I am not a huge Beatles fan. Moderate fan I'd say, but I recognize their significance.

[quote name='tyecko']1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Beatles
4. The Doors
5. Linkin Park[/quote]

I had great respect for that list until I got to #5!

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='javeryh']Pearl Jam. End of discussion.[/quote]

No, no.. wrong thread. This is "best" bands.. not "most over-rated, angst filled, melodramatic" bands.[/quote]

Hey man leave your opinions to yourself. So what if he likes pearl jam? You don't have to make fun of him for that.

No real order:

David Bowie
Talking Heads
Beastie Boys
Tom Waits
Beatles
The Who
The Clash
Elvis Costello
Johnny Cash
Captain Beefheart
Led Zeppelin
Frank Zappa
You know, this list could go on for a while..........

*Edit for the baffling lack of Zappa love*

[quote name='smalien1']I nearly killed myself when I was in a CC and I saw Tribute to Linkin Park CD I thought they only did tributes for good artists![/quote]

hey shut the fuck up, they may not be deserving of a tribute cd yet but there a good band

[quote name='tyecko'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='javeryh']Pearl Jam. End of discussion.[/quote]

No, no.. wrong thread. This is "best" bands.. not "most over-rated, angst filled, melodramatic" bands.[/quote]

Hey man leave your opinions to yourself. So what if he likes pearl jam? You don't have to make fun of him for that.[/quote]

I'm not making fun of him, I'm stating that in no way shape or form is Pearl Jam one of the greatest bands of all-time. Say I'm a big fan of Sisqo.. does that mean he deserves to be on a list of the greatest musical artists of all time?

And on another note.. if you mean popularity, then sure, add the Beatles.. but if its talent, then no. The Beatles were the first big pop band.. they had a major influence on our current musical scene.. but they simply are not that good.

[quote name='smalien1']I could never get into Captain Beefheart, he's like one degree higher on the weirdness level of Zappa, who I love[/quote]

There's a point where Beefheart really just becomes dissoance and nothing more. However if you pick up the albums Safe As Milk and Mirrorman Sessions you'll be pleasantly surprised. The two(Beefheart and Zappa) were actually close friends, ya know.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='tyecko'][quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='javeryh']Pearl Jam. End of discussion.[/quote]

Hey man leave your opinions to yourself. So what if he likes pearl jam? You don't have to make fun of him for that.[/quote]

I'm not making fun of him, I'm stating that in no way shape or form is Pearl Jam one of the greatest bands of all-time. Say I'm a big fan of Sisqo.. does that mean he deserves to be on a list of the greatest musical artists of all time?

And on another note.. if you mean popularity, then sure, add the Beatles.. but if its talent, then no. The Beatles were the first big pop band.. they had a major influence on our current musical scene.. but they simply are not that good.[/quote]

This is an opinion thread, not a stating facts of who the greatest musical artists of all time are, if it was that I would have only put down classical musicians

Umm, it is still an opinion. If the person thinks Pearl Jam is the greatest bands of all times, so be it. Not like you are going to change his mind by saying it isn't.

Linkin park is a plastic manufactured band akin to N Sync or Backstreet Boys, they are manufactured to what they think the public wants, Linkin Park was made so that the people who use to listen to the boy bands can now say they like metal

Two more for the list:
Roxy Music
Dire Straits

And can't leave out such artists as Mozart, Vivaldi, etc. The title does say of all time.

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Umm, it is still an opinion. If the person thinks Pearl Jam is the greatest bands of all times, so be it. Not like you are going to change his mind by saying it isn't.[/quote]

I'm defending the guy who said he liked Pearl Jam, you mis-read the post

[quote name='smalien1']Linkin park is a plastic manufactured band akin to N Sync or Backstreet Boys, they are manufactured to what they think the public wants, Linkin Park was made so that the people who use to listen to the boy bands can now say they like metal[/quote]

thats complete bullshit. I like classic rock just as much as the next guy, and maybe more. I like new wave, alternative, classic, blues, folk, and I still think linkin park is a great band. I know this is just another opinion and I won't change ur minds but just thought I'd get my voice out there.

[quote name='smalien1'][quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Umm, it is still an opinion. If the person thinks Pearl Jam is the greatest bands of all times, so be it. Not like you are going to change his mind by saying it isn't.[/quote]

I'm defending the guy who said he liked Pearl Jam, you mis-read the post[/quote]

Actually I was talking to cornfedwb. I was kinda late at posting and forgot to put the quotes. :p

[quote name='tyecko'][quote name='smalien1']Linkin park is a plastic manufactured band akin to N Sync or Backstreet Boys, they are manufactured to what they think the public wants, Linkin Park was made so that the people who use to listen to the boy bands can now say they like metal[/quote]

thats complete bullshit. I like classic rock just as much as the next guy, and maybe more. I like new wave, alternative, classic, blues, folk, and I still think linkin park is a great band. I know this is just another opinion and I won't change ur minds but just thought I'd get my voice out there.[/quote]

Even if you like Linkin Park as well as every classical band in the world it still doesn't detract from the fact that Linkin Park is manufactured.

[quote name='tyecko'][quote name='smalien1']Linkin park is a plastic manufactured band akin to N Sync or Backstreet Boys, they are manufactured to what they think the public wants, Linkin Park was made so that the people who use to listen to the boy bands can now say they like metal[/quote]

thats complete bullshit. I like classic rock just as much as the next guy, and maybe more. I like new wave, alternative, classic, blues, folk, and I still think linkin park is a great band. I know this is just another opinion and I won't change ur minds but just thought I'd get my voice out there.[/quote]

I''ll agree to stop flaming Linkin Park if EVERYONE agrees to stop flaming other bands...
Let's make this thread a happy place!
\\:D/
:grouphug:

[quote name='Cornfedwb']And on another note.. if you mean popularity, then sure, add the Beatles.. but if its talent, then no. The Beatles were the first big pop band.. they had a major influence on our current musical scene.. but they simply are not that good.[/quote]

Well, this completely nullifies anything you want to state as fact here. If you don't like the Beatles, fine but to say they had no talent is just crazy. I might not listen to Mariah Carey or Christina Aguliara but I know they both have great voices...

[quote name='smalien1']I nearly killed myself when I was in a CC and I saw Tribute to Linkin Park CD I thought they only did tributes for good artists![/quote]

no way dude, they put out like a new "tribute" cd every month, and it's usually for some pretty bad bands. the worst are those "string tribute to" cds. i'm pretty sure there's even one for kid rock. go figure.

anyways, not necessarily in this order:

1. rocket from the crypt
2. the beatles
3. tom waits
4. pixies
5. bjork

honorable mentions include:

-deftones
-johnny cash
-mirah
-fugazi

The Beatles and Bob Dylan Reggae tributes are REALLY good, plus they have some big names on them, Toots and the Maytals were on both

1. Elvis
2. AC/DC
3. Bob Marley
4. Hendrix
5. Beatles
6 Buddy Holly
7. Led Zeppelin
8. ZZ Top
9. Skynyrd
10. Beach Boys

1.Soil
2.Morbid Angel
3.Frank Zappa
4.Iced Earth
5.GWAR
6.Cradle Of Filth
7.Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
8.The CruxShadows(VERY good Gothic Techno/Electronica)
9.Korn
10.Pink Floyd
11.Led Zepplin
12.Metallica
13.Ozzy
14.Fozzy

Tupac
Metallica
RATM
Nirvana
Guns n' Roses

I like led zeplin and stuff just dont listen too it much so i wont put it on here.

Two lists here: one for my favorites and one for most important, respectively...

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. The Who
4. The Doors
5. Led Zepplin

1. Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
3. Nirvana
4. Michael Jackson
5. Frank Sinatra

In no particular order:

1. The Pixies
2. Jane's Addiction
3. any band Ian MacKaye was in (Minor Threat, Embrace, Fugazi, the Teen Idles, etc.)
4. Miles Davis
5. The Cure
6. The Smiths
7. The Ramones
8. Ministry
9. The Eels
10. any band with Bob Mould in it (Husker Du, Sugar and his solo stuff)

Johnny Cash
Beatles
Bob Dylan
Black Sabbath (w/Ozzy)
The Clash
Ramones
Smashing Pumpkins
Willie Nelson
Dire Straits
Dave Matthews Band
Toasters
Pink Floyd
Lynard Skynard
Hank Williams (Sr., Jr., and the III)
Specials
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Wishbone Ash
Flaming Lips
Jimi Hendrix
Tom Petty
Dropkick Murphys
The list could go on and on......but I will stop here.

bread's done
Back