Top Reward or Cashback Credit Cards

ICHYOTSOHAIA

CAG Newbie
Hello fellow CAG'ers!

I'm interested in finding some of the best deals out there for reward and cashback credit cards. I'm sure there are others looking to collect more cards to maximize rewards from purchases.

Feel free to post any of the cards you may own along with the rewards you get or why you chose that card. Hopefully we can take advantage of some of the great rewards these cards have to offer.

I'll start with the two cards that I currently have:

Discover it: This card has 1% CB on all purchases, and a 5% rotating rewards category that changes every 3 months.

Sallie Mae Rewards Barclaycard MasterCard: This card offers 5% CB on the first $250 for gas each statement, 5% CB on the first $250 for groceries each statement, 5% CB on the first $750 for bookstore purchases (Amazon is coded for bookstores) each statement, and an additional 1% CB for all other purchases. CB is redeemed as statement credit in any amount greater than $25.00.

Generally I use my Discover it Card any time that I can't take advantage of the 5% CB for the Sallie Mae Card because the cashback rewards for the discover card have more options to be redeemed other than just as a statement credit.

I too am interested in this. If anyone could suggest their favorite card and why, I'd appreciate it.

I really like my Discover card for rewards. 

In addition to revolving 5% bonus categories (including gas, at least 1 every year), I get 5% back on many online retailers I shop at (BestBuy, Gamestop, Staples to name a few- only works online, not in store) and when you redeem your points for giftcards, you get a small discount for certain retailers. I always use my rewards points to snag GS giftcards, which are $45 rewards points for a $50 giftcard. What's nice is that for the last two years, their year end rewards category (Oct to Dec) was simply online retailers... meaning any online retailer you shop it, you get 5% back in points. And, the bonus category stacks with retailer bonus, so I would get back 10% at BestBuy and GS. 

A few other rewards cards I have are a Capital One Venture (sucks, don't get it... higher APR and the whole 1.5x points on everything really isn't worth it) and a Citibank AAvantage (also a garbage card, my dad suggested I get it and I did without really checking out the details... crap points, ok APR, and annual fee). I got those two for work/moving related expenses for which I knew I'd need to carry a balance, bad decision. 

My oldest card is a Chase Freedom that I've had for almost 10 years now. Great APR, but nothing special regarding points. Normal revolving categories as the Discover, but the bonus retailers aren't as good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Discover It card and it has the best cash back I could find as far as video game purchases. You're more than welcome to use the link below to get a $50 bonus after making your first purchase in the first 3 months.

http://bit.ly/1HG7p9G

Also, whenever I use gift cards, I'll go through portals from Ebates or Topcashback. Like GameStop for example, Topcashback has 5% back for there so I'll go through there when I use GameStop gift cards to get 5% back. I'll even do a mix of the discover it card and ebates or Topcashback. For example, discover it for this quarter has 5% back on all retail stores without using a portal but they don't have a actual portal for best buy to stack with it so I'll use one of the 2 sites I mentioned and I'll do it that way.

You're more than welcome to use the links below for bonus cash. Ebates pays out through PayPal or you can have a check mailed to you. Topcashback also pays out through PayPal, deposited in your bank account directly, or a Amazon gift card which you will receive a 2.5% bonus if you choose the Amazon gift card.

Ebates:
http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=yyq4sbrdU0qNr9v6WOTvfA%3D%3D&eeid=26471

Topcashback
http://www.topcashback.com/ref/dbill1980

Don't forget the Fidelity 2% cash back card on every purchase. You have to open a brokerage account with the card but it's easy to transfer to your regular savings/checkings or use for investment purposes.

bread's done
Back