Torn between two Acers

ZombiesWorld

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey Everybody. I'm in need of some assistance with finding a new laptop. A couple days ago my laptop died and I've been searching for a replacement but so far have not had any luck.

I'm not looking for anything too special. All I ask it have is atleast a 15.6" screen and a 2.2GHz processor speed, A HDMI port and that it's under $500.

Thank you in advance for any help!

-UPDATE:

Alright. So after searching and searching I'm finally torn between these two Acers. They're both pretty similar but they do have a few differences.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Black...emium/19611561

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Mesh-...emium/19530693

I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. So I ask, Which one do you guys think is the best overall laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:
I lucked up and found an Acer Aspire 5742-7620 om sale at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago.

It was regularly over $500, and was rolled back to about $374 (I think), and before now I had my doubts about Acer but I must say that this is an awesome lappy.

It has a 320 gig HDD, 4 GB DDR3 memory with a 15.6 HD LED LCD monitor along with a Intel i3 CORE pro. Now that's not the best processor in the world but this machine runs like a dream.

It even has a dual layer disc drive. If you can find this laptop at your Wal-Mart on roll back snatch it up buddy. It was well worth it (so far).

[quote name='J Rokk']I lucked up and found an Acer Aspire 5742-7620 om sale at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago.

It was regularly over $500, and was rolled back to about $374 (I think), and before now I had my doubts about Acer but I must say that this is an awesome lappy.

It has a 320 gig HDD, 4 GB DDR3 memory with a 15.6 HD LED LCD monitor along with a Intel i3 CORE pro. Now that's not the best processor in the world but this machine runs like a dream.

It even has a dual layer disc drive. If you can find this laptop at your Wal-Mart on roll back snatch it up buddy. It was well worth it (so far).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply J Rokk. I found it for $400 a few different places. It sounds like a really nice laptop for the price. It seems that it only comes in the color red though, Not that it's a big deal or anything.

Is that the color yours is?

[quote name='ZombiesWorld']Thanks for the reply J Rokk. I found it for $400 a few different places. It sounds like a really nice laptop for the price. It seems that it only comes in the color red though, Not that it's a big deal or anything.

Is that the color yours is?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the store model I looked at was black colored which was the one I thought I would be getting. Oh well the red is unique and the price is a great deal too imo.

After I opened it up it was the red, almost orangeish looking color. I thought it was ok, and it has grown on me though.

Also, if you get the Wal-Mart - 2 year extended coverage warranty (which is a hell of a lot better then the manu's 1 year or however long they are in itself) you can do a somewhat *ahem*cheap*ahem* trick with it.

The warranty covers accidental drops/breakage etc, just make sure you get the correct plan. So say in a year and a half if you wanted a new laptop oops just drops your and break it.

Odds are by then they won't even make or carry those same models anymore and they will be forced to give you a newer model Acer (as I am sure they would hate to have to give you the money back you spent on it).

I say this because I know a few people who have done this with TV's bought from Wal-Mart before. :D

Just some food for thought buddy.

Hope you get the one you want or find the deal you are looking for my friend.

Regards,
J Rokk

Nobody wants to pitch in their two cents? The main thing I'm trying to figure out is, which one would be faster?

One has a Intel Pentium Dual-Core P6100 processor that runs 2.1GHz with 4GB RAM.

While the other has a Intel Core i3-2310M processor that runs 2.0GHz with 3GB RAM.

From what I understand the i3 is the better/faster processor, but the other is a Duel-Core and has a little more RAM.

This is all quite confusing to a computer noob.

The i3 is dual core too and is the newer, faster and more efficient. And 3GB of ram is plenty for most anything. But the other laptop has a bigger screen, which is always nice...

I'd go for the i3. It's much faster, and a newer generation processor than the p6100 (Sandybridge vs. Arrandale). The built in graphics chip for the i3 is an Intel HD 3000 which is much faster than the previous generation's Intel HD graphics chip which will be on the P6100 motherboard. As for the RAM, laptop memory is cheap ($30 or so for 8gb) and easy to install so when the time comes, you should be able to easily add more memory.

I have a second-gen i5 laptop (8gb ram) with the HD 3000 graphics chipset and I'd say the performance is close to a Nvidia gt 240 graphics card, which isn't too bad.

The bigger screen on the p6100 may seem tempting but it makes the laptop less portable and since you're interested in the HDMI port, you're probably going to hook it up to a TV anyway? The i3 is the much better processor.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back