Touchpad = great gameplay?

Esperado

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Now, I don't hate the DS. I actually like the system. I don't have one, but I've played Mario 64 on someone elses. Plus I got to make drawings and squiggle them around. I'm wondering why everyone seems to think just because DS has a touchpad that it has great gameplay that is unmatchable. I think a great developer could make a game for any system with time and make it fun and easy to control. Gameplay is not based on if you have a touchpad or not. Sony didn't even revamp the controller from PS to PS2. So I guess it is safe to assume that the gameplay will be exactly the same as the one for the original Playstation? That would just be idiotic.

What about games that won't use the touchpad? (Assuming there are some..) Will they automatically suck? Will people not want to buy a game because it doesn't support the touchpad? Will Nintendo accept them?

First Person Shooters: I think this is one of the only places DS has a *chance* of shining in. You cannot get the same amount of precision with a PSP, let alone a controller. You might be able to even be more precise than a mouse, depending on how your hand skills are.

Puzzle Games: This should be an easy one. DS would allow you to do many things. That Smart Bomb game, is that coming out for DS? I hope so. DS is a much better system to host it on.

Yeah, thats enough for tonight.

I think the DS is praised more because it's a new level of interactivity. For instance, drawing something and having the game characters use it.. that's crazy. It's one thing to make a fun game, but to add that next dimension.. it's crazy. I think it's a gimmick, but it's a gimmick that delivers. I love it.

Of course having a touchpad does not equal great gameplay. The developer has to take advantage of it with good game design and execute it well. In my opinion, Yoshi Touch and Go is a prime example, as is Wario Ware Touched!

You've never played games like these before, and you probably wouldn't at home. The DS gives you a completely fresh experience to take on the road for good pick-up-and-play sessions. Combined with the GBA slot (which provides a huge library of deep, conventional games) I think the DS offers a great option for those who realize that the average person doesn't use portables as their primary gaming device.

Man, RTS on DS is so sweet. If they ever ported over Warcraft II with Online play, I think i'd have to shoot myself for getting a PSP. Right now its only Age of Empires. I used to love the game. I loved how you hunted down deer and stuff for food. Even though later on you could make farms which was much for efficient.

I'm still getting PSP though.. Opening up 3 of my games to read the booklets that came with them basically sealed the deal. Might get a DS around next Christmas I guess. Animal Crossing looks sweet as well though and is coming out around Christmas I think. I played it on GC. Got tired of it within a week though. Hopefully this one will have a lot more sidequests for more furniture. Man, getting new furniture kicked ass. Eventually, you stopped getting sidequests though :( and it turned into a fishing game.

[quote name='clearsnake']What about nintendogs? That game looks shaq-fuing adorable. I would get a DS just for that.[/quote]

Seems more of a 14 year old girl type game. It's probably related to the Olsen twins in some sort of way.

[quote name='Esperado'][quote name='clearsnake']What about nintendogs? That game looks shaq-fuing adorable. I would get a DS just for that.[/quote]

Seems more of a 14 year old girl type game. It's probably related to the Olsen twins in some sort of way.[/quote]

I'm guessing you don't have any pet dogs...

[quote name='Esperado']Man, RTS on DS is so sweet. If they ever ported over Warcraft II with Online play, I think i'd have to shoot myself for getting a PSP. Right now its only Age of Empires. I used to love the game. I loved how you hunted down deer and stuff for food. Even though later on you could make farms which was much for efficient. [/quote]

Shogun Warriors

[quote name='clearsnake'][quote name='Esperado'][quote name='clearsnake']What about nintendogs? That game looks shaq-fuing adorable. I would get a DS just for that.[/quote]

Seems more of a 14 year old girl type game. It's probably related to the Olsen twins in some sort of way.[/quote]

I'm guessing you don't have any pet dogs...[/quote]

I'm guessing that's the only reason someone would want to play with virtual dogs.

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='clearsnake'][quote name='Esperado'][quote name='clearsnake']What about nintendogs? That game looks shaq-fuing adorable. I would get a DS just for that.[/quote]

I'm guessing you don't have any pet dogs...[/quote]

I'm guessing that's the only reason someone would want to play with virtual dogs.[/quote]

Aside from the fact that it's actually entertaining?

Sorry, i'm fascinated that I could raise and entertain a dog inside my system. I'll be getting it.

I agree with scorch that it is not just the touch pad but what the developers are doing with it. While it does not make the DS an instant success, it allows for both conventional gameplay, and for new twists that have not been seen on any console.

It not that a touch pad makes great game play. It adds a whole new level of interaction with games. It makes more games original, and it something that has not been done before.

[quote name='Esperado']Sony didn't even revamp the controller from PS to PS2. So I guess it is safe to assume that the gameplay will be exactly the same as the one for the original Playstation? That would just be idiotic.[/quote]

If the PS2 would allow for gameplay that is different than the PS1, it would be because the Dual Shock 2 has pressure sensitive buttons that the Dual Shock 1 does not. Aside from that, you'd be hard pressed to argue that, gameplay wise, the PS1 can't do anything that the PS2 has done. Good graphics doesn't improve how you play a game, and that's what the PS2 has brought to the table over the PS1. What great playing game for the PS2 could not be done for the PS1, albeit with much worse graphics?

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='Esperado']Sony didn't even revamp the controller from PS to PS2. So I guess it is safe to assume that the gameplay will be exactly the same as the one for the original Playstation? That would just be idiotic.[/quote]

If the PS2 would allow for gameplay that is different than the PS1, it would be because the Dual Shock 2 has pressure sensitive buttons that the Dual Shock 1 does not. Aside from that, you'd be hard pressed to argue that, gameplay wise, the PS1 can't do anything that the PS2 has done. Good graphics doesn't improve how you play a game, and that's what the PS2 has brought to the table over the PS1. What great playing game for the PS2 could not be done for the PS1, albeit with much worse graphics?[/quote]

That's a good point... I can think of a couple games where the graphics added a lot. I mean the gameplay would still be good, but they probably wouldn't have recieved the same acclaim.

bread's done
Back