Tough Decisions...

Quillion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Alright, here's the skinny. I want some feedback from all the happy and successful people on here. Specifically, my company of two years has a relatively new division into which they're throwing money. This division has been very effective at snatching clients and growing business. They are generating a reputation as a pressure cooker, but also a destination for top talent. My former Director was recruited to this group and she feels that I'd be a good fit for a number of positions within it.

Those facts in mind, a move would likely entail a substantial pay raise, and associated increase in responsibility. It would be excellent padding for my resume, and open me up to a large network at one of the company's main offices.

Now the negatives... These new positions are in Chicago. I'm in Cincinnati. Girlfriend is excited about the possibilities, so that's not an issue. I'm willing to relocate. I relocated to Cincy for this company in the first place, so it's a no-brainer. But my parents live two hours from here, six-seven hours from Chicago, and my father's health is not good and getting worse.

In my attempts to make the wisest possible decision, I expose myself to the ridicule of the CAG community. Opinions? Questions? Insults?

I vote for Chicago. You can be on a plane and with your father in about an hour should the situation arise.

I vote for Chicago. Don't hold yourself back from something because your dad is sick. Being an extra four hours away won't change much if he starts dying.

Is your father's health the only downside? How often do you visit your parents now? Two hours is already a long distance.

If advancement means happiness, then by all means pursue it. However, if you are happy where you are now, I'd place that happiness above money or padding a resume just for the sake of doing it.

If you were to ask your parents I am sure they would tell you to move, so if that is your only hold up, then make the move. While I don't know your parents, I can't imagine that they'd want you to pass up a seemingly great opportunity to improve your quality of life. Also, as someone else pointed out, you can just fly to your parent's home in about the same time it would take to drive to your parent's home from your current place.

What percentage is the raise in comparison to your current salary? Cost of living is about 23% more moving from Cincinnati to Chicago, so that's something to keep in mind.

Obviously, the potential for advance is a good one for future growth is something you should keep in mind, though in relation to your father's health, you can be there quickly if needed via plane.

Shrike - We have considered cost of living. There are multiple positions, but I will of course get at least the CoL adjustment. Without that, I wouldn't even consider this. However, the position is in one of the suburbs, and living somewhere like Elgin wouldn't be out of the question.

Guile - I'm very happy in the company, and happy in my position. What the new position would do is allow me to focus on the aspects I like. New development, innovative solutions to difficult problems, that sort of thing.

SpazX - Yes. It's the major downside. I've got a good circle of friends in Cincy, but I can make more. I've got some attachments to the community here, but my biggest fear is regretting not being able to spend more time with my family.

Any advice on Chicago in general? Any CAGs who live there willing to provide culture advice?

[quote name='Quillion']Shrike - We have considered cost of living. There are multiple positions, but I will of course get at least the CoL adjustment. Without that, I wouldn't even consider this. However, the position is in one of the suburbs, and living somewhere like Elgin wouldn't be out of the question.

Any advice on Chicago in general? Any CAGs who live there willing to provide culture advice?[/QUOTE]As long as you're getting CoL, that's worth it. Hopefully more, of course.

About Chicago, I'd suggest sticking your head in the Chicago regional deals thread and see who's in the area:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4911

What I'm saying is that there's kind of an upper limit to travel time where it doesn't matter any more if it increases. Like if I lived 6 hours from home or across the country I imagine I would visit my parents about the same amount of time. At 2 hours away I don't think I would visit and return in the same day, so a flight (besides the cost) would probably be pretty much the same situation for me. So unless you visit your parents a ton already I dunno if there will really be a big difference and you'll still be able to see your dad.

i say you do it, sounds like a good opportunity. sucks about the parents thing, but youd be a long drive or short flight away. how often do you visit them now? hell i live 10 miles from my mom and i see her just a couple times a month.

[quote name='JJSP']Culture wise, Chicago beats the living shit out of Cincinatti.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah. Elgin as a suburb is not that bad. Its more North than I like to be, but it's a hour drive into downtown on I-90. It's close to Schaumburg and its malls. It's pretty cool.

Book.
The worst case scenario is that you lose your job and have to move back to Cincinnati or get another job in Chicago.
Even if that happens, it isn't like you're hurting anybody but yourself.
As far as the health of your parents, you can't fix that unless you're their doctor or a god.

Move. You're already 2 hours away so the extra time won't make any real difference. It'd be a much tougher call if you were close.

Go for it. Better pay, better city, good for your career. I'd do it. But I'm also very career driven--my family is 10+ hours away now etc. So other's have different priorities.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Hell yeah. Elgin as a suburb is not that bad. Its more North than I like to be, but it's a hour drive into downtown on I-90. It's close to Schaumburg and its malls. It's pretty cool.[/QUOTE]
You sound like you know your stuff around Chicago... Any suggestions for areas to look at? The office is in Schaumburg. I've looked at home listings in Elk Grove Village and Elgin.

[quote name='Quillion']You sound like you know your stuff around Chicago... Any suggestions for areas to look at? The office is in Schaumburg. I've looked at home listings in Elk Grove Village and Elgin.[/QUOTE]

I know more about areas of South of Lombard. But go into Chicagoland thread and they can help you more.

Oh noes. My biggest problem is being more well-to-do and successful than I already am. I'll never be able to fly back home to see my dad who is dying as it is.

Perspective: Donated by a poor person whose family doesn't want him to succeed

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Personally I prefer a smaller city like Cincy over something like Chicago or New York, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Oh if we were going to give our preference, I sure as hell would not want to move to a big city, but the OP seems like he is really excited about it, so that's why I said move.

Take the job. Especially in this economy, you should jump on any chance to advance professionally and Chicago is a great city.

bread's done
Back