Tower Records video game clearence sale

Scahom1

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, just got back from my local Tower Records. Apparently the company is no longer selling video games, as their entire inventory is on clearence sale. Some great deals to be found...

XBOX 1st party controllers: $15
PS2 1st party controllers: $12
XBOX DVD remote: $10
wireless dance mats $10

NEW Gamecube $70!!!
GBA (not SP) $50

As for games, a ton of them are on sale for $9.99. Among the ones I remember...

007: Nightfire
007: Everything or Nothing
Balders Gate 2
Castlevania
. Hack #1
Enter The Matrix
Prince of Persia
Rainbow Six 3
Rachet & Clank 2
XIII
TMNT
Metroid Prime
The Thing
SW: KOTOR
SW: Jedi Outcast
Otogi
The Suffering
Driv3r ($30)
GTA double pack (XBOX, $30)

This is certainly exclusive to certain markets, since the manager told me all the stores in the CT area sent their inventory to my local store.

EDIT: Store locator...http://www.towerrecords.com/stores/default.asp

One about an hour away, I think Guessed is on his way right now to check it out since he's out and about.

That Driv3r and GTA Double Pack.. are they 30, or were you saying they normally go for $30 but are on sale for $9.99?

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']Sweet!

Oh wait, there aren't any Tower Records stores in Ohio or Indiana or Michigan or Kentucky or West Virginia...[/quote]

I don't have one either.

I've never even been to a Tower Records store. I don't think there's any around here. (Illinois)

[quote name='Scorch']That Driv3r and GTA Double Pack.. are they 30, or were you saying they normally go for $30 but are on sale for $9.99?[/quote]

They are on sale for $29.99 each.

I'm assuming the prices are for all systems. I saw EON for $9.99 on PS2 & XBOX, but they didn't have TMNT and Suffering in stock for PS2.

[quote name='Scahom1'][quote name='Scorch']That Driv3r and GTA Double Pack.. are they 30, or were you saying they normally go for $30 but are on sale for $9.99?[/quote]

They are on sale for $29.99 each.[/quote]

Eh, not a deal on either. Outpost has Driv3r for 29 and Target has GTA double pack for XBox 27$.. but those Suffering, EoN, Jedi Outcast, KOTOR, and a few others sound VERY interesting.

[quote name='Rig']I've never even been to a Tower Records store. I don't think there's any around here. (Illinois)[/quote]

Actually, there's quite a few in the Chicagoland area and Northwest Suburbs. Use the Store Locator on the Tower website to see if there's one close to you.

I just got back from the Tower Records in Schaumburg, IL, but there was no indication of a 9.99 sale on the game rack, just a few select titles marked down to 19.99. I could have made the cashier ring up a sample game to check it's price, but I neglected to do so.

[quote name='Wario64']Tower Records sold games? I guess you learn something new everyday[/quote]
Yeah I have one that's like 10 minutes away. I had no idea they sold games!

Cool. Did you find anything left at Tower? I work at the Ridgeway EB Games, stop by sometime.

Theres a couple near me. I'll probably check one out since its right there alongside BB, CC, TRU, etc. Sure would love to get EoN for $10.

[quote name='Scahom1']Cool. Did you find anything left at Tower? I work at the Ridgeway EB Games, stop by sometime.[/quote]

you're kidding. if you work there, you know who I am ;)

I'm in there all the time asking for stuff that's either on sale or out of print, mainly Dreamcast stuff recently.

had I been home tonight and seen this, I would've hit up Tower, but I was out at Bradfords for beer and wings.

[quote name='epobirs']Unfortunately, all the Towers left in this area dropped video games years ago.[/quote]

that's the same for me. I remember when they used to have Sega CD, genesis, saturn/PSX games. I might check one near me though just to make sure that they didn't get a surprise shipment or something.

"This is certainly exclusive to certain markets, since the manager told me all the stores in the CT area sent their inventory to my local store."

Since Stamford is the only CT store for Tower, I'm not sure what the manager meant by this statement. Maybe they cleaned out warehouses to that store?

Since Stamford is the only CT store for Tower, I'm not sure what the manager meant by this statement. Maybe they cleaned out warehouses to that store?

After looking at the store locator, I was kinda surprised by that statement too. Besides a bunch of accessories, there was not 1 game I haven't seen there before. (The reason they never sell is because they are so damn expensive. Def Jam Vendetta & The Hobbit for $49.99 anyone?) My friend asked if they had any more items in the back, since we got there as they were putting out the clearence stickers. The manager told us "No, and in fact, we've been getting shipments from other stores in the area too. This is it."

The sale is not even being advertised as far as I know, so there quite possibly be only a small amount of stores involved in this.

I am totally there. Only one Tower Records in my state and I am glad to live only a 10 minute drive from it. The last time I visited the store, there were a few video games there. But WAY TOO OVERPRICED. So I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm off buying outlet plates in that area. Been cruising for a 2nd xbox controller for friends to play with me.

No Go at the one in King of Prussia, the guy said they can't compete with the EB's and Gamestop's price wise, they shipped all their stuff to the one's in philly - avenue of the arts and south st....Try them if you live in philly and let us know, that's a long drive for me, might be worth it for first party controllers at 15 winkles

Called the closest Tower in Manhattan...the guy told me no NYC stores have video games, and the only one in the area that he knows that does is the Stamford location.

hit up this Tower about an hour ago, picked up:

Armed & Dangerous (XBox) $10
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (XBox) $10
Ghost Recon (XBox) $10
Hitman 2 (XBox) $10
Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer (XBox) $10
Metal Gear Solid: Substance (PS 2) $15 :shock:
Soul Calibur II (XBox) $10
Star Wars: Jedi Academy (XBox) $10

1st party XBox controller S (black) $15
Sony PS 1 s-video cable $7

almost picked up MGS: Twin Snakes (GC) for $20, but couldn't bring myself to spend that much on it. a bunch of games were only for one system or the other (ie. Suffering was only there for PS 2). Rachet and Clank 2 was gone, and I couldn't find 007: Everything Or Nothing for any system. also, I didn't see any first-party PS 2 or GC controllers, but I did notice the brand new $70 GameCubes ;)

thanks for posting this Scahom1, maybe see you at EB one of these days.

If the following are $9.99, I'd love someone to pick them up for the XBox:

TMNT
007: Everything or Nothing
Baldur's Gate 2: Dark Alliance
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

Will happily pay S&H + time/gas expense for those ones above. PM me if you think you can track them down.

I saw:
PoP for all systems for $10.
Monster cables for PS2 and XBOX for $10.

Cube
Skies of Arcadia $15
Metroid Prime $10

PS2
FF X-2 $20
Xenosaga Ep 1 $10
(1) Karaoke Revolution w/ headset $30
Official Sony 8mb Memory Cards $15

and there were many other games. I didnt notice xbox stuff.
I did get Pikmin for $10 original packaging. I guess it shows how old their stock is.
Thanks Scahom1. Great find.

[quote name='waxHead']Arakias,

did you see 007: EoN at all? I looked all over, didn't see any copies of it for any system.[/quote]

Waxhead,

I didnt see any of that Bond game, their selection seems kinda random. I didnt really look at any Xbox stuff though. There were a couple other people browsing the section too cause the $10 price stickers are just eye-catching.

[quote name='Arakias'][quote name='waxHead']Arakias,

did you see 007: EoN at all? I looked all over, didn't see any copies of it for any system.[/quote]

Waxhead,

I didnt see any of that Bond game, their selection seems kinda random. I didnt really look at any Xbox stuff though. There were a couple other people browsing the section too cause the $10 price stickers are just eye-catching.[/quote]

I felt the same way, strange mix of very old games and some new ones, but not many copies of any of them. the pricing also surprised me, w/ some games that I expected to be cheaper marked up, and games like Baldur's Gate II at $10. Metroid Prime for $10 is one hell of a deal, that's for sure!

There are a few Towers in So Cal, but my car has been acting funny, so I don't want to go if they aren't carrying games. Anyone in the area check 'em out yet?

[quote name='ViolentLee']There are a few Towers in So Cal, but my car has been acting funny, so I don't want to go if they aren't carrying games. Anyone in the area check 'em out yet?[/quote]

Try calling them.

For SoCal, I called the La Jolla store, and they said all of their games were sent to Long Beach long ago. I didn't call the San Diego store on Sports Arena, but they're kinda small so I'd guess they sent it to Long Beach, too.

I just got back from the Tower in Long Beach, Ca Marina Pacifica Mall.

This is what they had (all titles 9.99 unless specified):

PS2
Dino Stalker
Breath of Fire : Dragon Quarter
Dead to Rights
Freedom Fighters
Vexx
Fallout BOS
Rainbow Six 3
The Hobbit
Ghost Recon
Conflict Desert Storm
Spyhunter 2
Midway Aracade Treasures
XIII
Enter the Matrix
Robin Hood Defender of the Crown
Socom GH
007 AUF
Rachet & Clank 1 GH 14.99
Amplitude 14.99
Secret Weapons over Normandy 14.99
Gladius 14.99
NBA Ballers 19.99
Baldurs Gate DA 2 19.99
Simpsons H & R 19.99
Lord of the Rings ROTK 29.99
Driver 3 29.99
Rise to Honor 29.99
Karaoke Revolution w/Headset 29.99
City Crisis 29.99

Xbox
NCAA 2k3 Football 5.99
NCAA 2k3 Bastketball 5.99
MVP Baseball 2003 5.99
Triple Play 2002 5.99
Armed and Dangerous
Hunter the Reckoning Redeemer
Medal of Honor Frontline
Splinter Cell PH
ToeJam & Earl 3
Buffy the Vampire Slayer(first game)
Fallout BOS
Rayman 3
Quantum Redshift
Vexx
Turok Evolution
The Thing
Enter the Matrix
Namco Museum
Batman Rise of Sin Tzu
Metal Gear Solid 2
The Hobbit
Myst III
Bmx XXX
Max Payne 2 19.99
NCAA 2004 Football 19.99
DDR Ultramix 19.99
NBA Ballers 19.99
Links 2004 19.99
Secret Weapons over Normandy 19.99
Full Spectrum Warrior 29.99
NFL Stree 29.99
Lord of the Rings Return of the King 29.99
Prisoner of War 29.99

Gamecube
NHL 2k3 5.99
NCAA 2k3 Football 5.99
NFL 2k3 5.99
Madden 2003 5.99
BMX XXX 7.99
Star Wars Rebel Strike
Eternal Darkness
Starfox Adventures
SSX 3
Dave Mirra 2
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Timesplitters 2
007 Nightfire
NBA 2k3
Turok Evolution
Jeremy McGrath
The Hobbit
Red Faction 2
Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance
Gladius 14.99
Tony Hawk PS 4 14.99
Star Wars Bounty Hunter 14.99
Resident Evil Zero 15.99
Wario World 19.99
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes 19.99

Hardware
PS2 Network Adapter 19.99
Playstation 2 + (w/Progressive Scan) 99.99 they only had one.

That was pretty much it. I grabbed several games and the PS2. I didn't see any Gamecubes, GBA's, wirless dance mats, xbox controllers or any other hardware worth mentioning.
I asked about R&C2, Prince of Persia, 007 EON, SW: KOTOR, but none of these titles were in the system. Hope this helps somebody.

Sweet deal. I hit up the Fairfax Tower and picked up (all Xbox and all $10)

Prince of Persia - a few left
The Suffering - got the last one
Freedom Fighters - one left
Otogi - a few left
Armed and Dangerous - got last one
Fallout: BOS - got last one
Buffy (the first one) - a few left

They had a few other titles mixed in which didn't interest me - 007 Nightfire, Hobbit, Turok, etc. Links 2004 was in the bin, but it was marked $20, plus I'm probably going to get TW 2005 in a few weeks so I didn't bother.

They didn't have any first party controllers that I saw. They had some 3rd party Xbox controllers marked at $10. Didn't really look all that closely at them.

For PS2 I saw Maximo: Ghosts (not Army of Zin) and for GC I saw Starfox Adventures. Those are the only ones I remember but they do have other titles in the bin.

As I was grabbing game after game I realized what it must have been like to be one of the fortunate CAGers who got to the $5 CC sale before all the CCs were picked clean. (I was out of town for the 4th when that sale hit.)

Update: Forgot to mention that I picked up Silent Hill 2 as well (last one)

bread's done
Back