Toys R Us Accepting Used Games.... Again - Link to tivs in OP

austenwithane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9167[/IMG-R]Toys R Us has announced its nationwide roll-out of its new video game trade-in program. CAGs prim4444 & cheeky tell us that Toys R Us has partnered with Gamers Factory on this new endeavor.

UPDATES: You can find trade-in values here. They also are accepting trade-ins via mail.

[IMG-R=5198]9173[/IMG-R]CAG Mitch079 provides this picture of used games for sale at his local Toys R us in Atlanta, which contradicts what TRU told Joystiq; that they will not be selling used games to the public, but instead will sell them to a third party.

Here are the important details on the trade-in program:

• Games must be in their original cases with artwork
  • Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title
  • Maximum $1000 trade-in per day
  • Games should be brought to the Toys“R”Us Guest Services desk
  • Customers receive an activated gift card equal valid at Toys“R”Us, Babies“R”Us or online at Toysrus.com
  • Games from classic systems are accepted, values range from $0.20 to $0.75

Earlier this year, when Toys R Us first started testing their trade-in program, Shipwreck took a look at the landscape of the trade-in/used video game business.
Original post here:
phear3d posted a blog back in March that his local Toys R Us in NY was accepting trades and that it was a limited trial - And that was all I had heard about that.

Fastforward almost 6 months and I see a sign reading that my local TRU is now accepting USed Games as well. (Langhorne PA)

Has anyone else seen this launh/relaunch in their area?

If I have time tonight I'm going to head up and get a few random trade in values for each system and will post them here to see how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I got...

$6.35 for condemned 2 I paid $5 for at blockbuster
$8.65 for overlord dl ps3, paid $10 new
$8.85 for endwar ps3, paid $22 for headset bundle, kept headset

not bad. They wouldn't take my pokemon ds game though because no manual.

so generally what is the situation with M rated games? i read some people have had the games declined if their M, but is it officially stated anywhere? i ask because i'll be trading in 3 games soon, and all 3 are rated M.

[quote name='y2jasper']so generally what is the situation with M rated games? i read some people have had the games declined if their M, but is it officially stated anywhere? i ask because i'll be trading in 3 games soon, and all 3 are rated M.[/QUOTE]

They took my copy of Gears of War 2 without making any kind of fuss about its rating. If you're concerned about it, just call them and ask.

You'd think they'd take the game regardless of age. If you're under 17 you shouldn't have the game anyway (in their eyes). They're doing you a favor by taking it.

Sent in my games on Friday and they processed them today. The center is in Maryland, so the delivery was quick since I am in Virginia.

Bioshock: 9.00
NBA Live 09: 10.50
Resident Evil (Gamecube): 3.15
Twilight Princess: 21.00

Total: 43.65

I'll post again when my gift card comes. They said 3 - 5 business days.

[quote name='js1']I might take in a box full of old Atari games I have sitting around.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you can get more than the roll of quarters that they will give for it here or on eBay

[quote name='reddjoey']I'm sure you can get more than the roll of quarters that they will give for it here or on eBay[/QUOTE]

Yeah. While their TIV for newer games is rather good, I've seen that they only give like $.50 max for anything that is from before the previous console generation.

Traded some games in today with no problems at all. A friend of mine works at the local TRU and told me about this but it somehow slipped my mind.

Traded In:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii): $22.50
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (NDS): $8.65
Killer 7 (GC): $2.90

Total: $34.05

Immediately put my credit towards a copy of Street Fighter IV for Xbox 360. Cost me about $9.74 out of my pocket, which I was extremely happy about.

I was happy with the trade-in values at TRU, I hope they keep this going!

[quote name='asianxcore']Traded some games in today with no problems at all. A friend of mine works at the local TRU and told me about this but it somehow slipped my mind.

Traded In:

Immediately put my credit towards a copy of Street Fighter IV for Xbox 360. Cost me about $9.74 out of my pocket, which I was extremely happy about.

I was happy with the trade-in values at TRU, I hope they keep this going![/QUOTE]

I saw multiple copies of Xbox 360 Street Fighter 4 today at my local Target on clearance for $27.98, just fyi.

[quote name='bigdogn12']I saw multiple copies of Xbox 360 Street Fighter 4 today at my local Target on clearance for $27.98, just fyi.[/QUOTE]

Target Clearances are YMMV aren't they? I was at my local Target on Saturday and all SFIV copies were full price.

Either way, I was happy to unload 3 games at TRU and pay little out of my pocket for SFIV on 360.

Do they accept game systems for trade-in?

Looking for a place to get rid of my DSi and get my DS lite back. I miss the GBA compatibility ;_;

[quote name='Sushi7065']Do they accept game systems for trade-in?

Looking for a place to get rid of my DSi and get my DS lite back. I miss the GBA compatibility ;_;[/QUOTE]

No systems. Just games.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Doesn't make any sense then. Why would Batman AA PS3 GS exclusive work in one Toys R Us, but not another? I mean, I get that they were having problems, but they scanned the rest and the prices were all perfect duplicas of the ones on the site.

But Batman doesn't go and the site does not list the proper SKU. Now others are getting it to go, but I can't? Someone call me when they can type the name in...[/QUOTE]

Okay, having seen others getting it to go through after I gave the UPC code to the tradein site's help, I took the game today with me when I went to use my credit from the other games toward ODST.

They bought it at exactly the right price. The girl even was shocked the prices was so high. She tried to put it on the same card I already had, but it wouldn't accept it. She was kinda cute. Told me she thought Batman was too hard. "More of a Lego girl," she tells me. Heh.

So I did finally manage to get MY 43.60. Used that and the other to get ODST, got $18 leftover plus the $20 gc from today's ODST. I figure ~$38 is about right for God of War Compilation.

If you have a problem with a particular version of a game they do take, email their support from the trade in site. So far, they seem good.

Interesting experience for me, although not as bad as the others in here,

South Austin, Tx TRU

One computer in the whole store can do the trade in and it's at the customer service/returns desk. They've done a few already, so those kinks are out. However.....

The computer running the program is OLD. I mean OLD. And as the extremely cute clerk told me, they've overloaded this computer as it has a 24 hour download function on it that causes slowdown. The system froze up and after 5 minutes of fighting it, she reboots it.

It takes nearly 10 minutes to reboot back up. At 20 minutes, she's able to access the trade in program.

Literally from there it took 5 minutes to get everything done, including the gift card etc.

So yeah, nearly 30 minutes, 25 of which were technical difficulties thanks to an old comp.

Manhattan, NYC TRU

PS3-Madden NFL 08 $.50
PS2-Socom Navy Seal $.95
360-NBA Ballers $5.25
360-NHL 08 $1.50
360-NBA 2k8 $2.80

Total: $11.00

Part of me feels dirty for trading them in for so low but part of me is happy I got rid of these games that would just collect dust in my closet.

yeah i went in today and traded in mortal kombat vs dc, resident evil 5, and wolverine all for 360. it all went pretty smoothly, although i can second the slow slow computer. the clerk took a few minutes to log on and then also a few minutes for it to apply the credit onto the card, but other then that it went pretty smoothly.

36$ for Wolfenstein 360 today. I was very pleasantly surprised that tiv had gone up by 10$ since yesterday. I basically traded two games (traded HAWX sometime ago) to get ODST for 5$ (and 20$ TRU credit for later use).

[quote name='asianxcore']Traded some games in today with no problems at all. A friend of mine works at the local TRU and told me about this but it somehow slipped my mind.

Traded In:

I was happy with the trade-in values at TRU, I hope they keep this going![/QUOTE]
Bad move trading in Brawl. =/

[quote name='ApeOverlord007']Bad move trading in Brawl. =/[/QUOTE]

I was never a big Smash Bros. fan anyway. The only reason why I bought it was because I have friends that play it religiously and I told them I'd pick it up to try and learn how to play. Most of those people moved away or stop playing entirely.

Bought it on release and I can't even remember the last time I put the game in. In all honesty, anyone on these boards can wonder why we trade in game X, but if I'm not playing it and it has been so long I can't even remember, than it's just sitting there collecting dust. Might as well put it towards something I know I will play.

Denied again.

Went back to TRU with the sku number for Wii Sports straight from their web site. 1st cashier told me she was new and didn't know how to do the trade ins...2nd cashier told me they don't take games like this because it's not in the plastic case. I told her, Wii Sports doesn't come in a plastic case, it only comes in the cardboard sleeve bundled with Wii. She told me, with a hint of attitude (this is where it gets good) that she has a Wii and the case that Wii Sports comes in isn't this one.

So she went to get the manager. She was standing there with her arms crossed...not sure why she was so piss'd. The dood was really cool, but told me that whatever the website said, his boss told him, they can't take games without barcodes and apologized abunch of times.

I told him, no worries, if you say no then I can't do anything but please educate your employees that Wii Sports only comes bundled with Wii and not in it's own plastic case. Ooooo, she was fuming.

then he walked me to the game section and sold me a HALO3: ODST with GC. *chuckles*

Waiting to hear back from TRU directly about what to do with Wii sports, since the TIV alone may not be worth the shipping and handling. (I don't have any other games to get the free shipping)

...not sure what to do with my Resident Evil 5 now since the bundled one doesn't come with a barcode either.

[quote name='asianxcore']I was never a big Smash Bros. fan anyway. The only reason why I bought it was because I have friends that play it religiously and I told them I'd pick it up to try and learn how to play. Most of those people moved away or stop playing entirely.

Bought it on release and I can't even remember the last time I put the game in. In all honesty, anyone on these boards can wonder why we trade in game X, but if I'm not playing it and it has been so long I can't even remember, than it's just sitting there collecting dust. Might as well put it towards something I know I will play.[/QUOTE]

I bought Smash on release too, played it for a few then sold it at cost to my friend cause she wanted it too. I know it's a big hit with a lot of players but I just didn't enjoy it enough to keep it. Same went with MK vs. DCU, traded mine in towards SFIV. At least I'm glad I waited til the price dropped to $37. Sadly it dropped to $19.99 for a week a month later.

Some TRU's are giving Sgt. Johnson code with ODST btw. YMMV, mine said they ran out that morning but may get more tomorrow. They say you get a small card with the code on it so she sounded legit.

Well, I decided to use the Online trade in thing to see how well it went, for my first trade in it seems to have gone without a hitch, so I should be getting a giftcard of about $100 back in a day or two.

For the next one, I felt like seeing how much I could push there buttons. A few sealed games, overly scratched up, unplayable, and near worthless Xbox games, a Tengen NES game, a few random GB games, some genuses and dreamcast stuff I got from goodwill thats mostly worthless, crappy packing (All the games on the bottom of the box, an unopened thing of crappy bubble wrap I got for $.25 just sitting at the top)... I just made sure the copies of Xblades from bestbuy were protected so I should get $20 back no matter what gets turned down, but I do want to see what happens to all the xbox games in particular, and if they will ship them back to me or not :lol:

I was told in store that all items have to have barcodes, including old gen games.

Who the hell is going to give TRU complete, boxed NES games for $0.25 apeice? I had a bunch of crappy no-value NES games I was considering taking in, but that's pointless.

Traded in Fallout 3 PS3 for $18.40 and LittleBigPlanet for $25. I was blown away as it says $18.65 for LBP on the TRU trade-in site! Easy program and it allows me to not go to GS :)

I traded in a few games yesterday, but they wouldn't accept my Guitar Hero III because of the "no bar code issue." I didn't realize there was no bar code and instead it said "not for resale" where the bar code was supposed to be. Apparently, if you bought the Guitar Hero III bundle, you get the game that has no bar code.

TRU online sent me a response, they said if I mail them with their reply email they will add the shipping cost for Wii Sports to the GC they mail back.

Another alternative is:

"You may have the Toys “R” Us store call our support line at 1-410-316-9906 if they need assistance on processing this trade."

Put those TRU cashiers to work.
That's pretty cool.

So I see a few people here have gotten their online trade-ins processesed, but my trade-in is still pending, according to the TRU site. I sent my games in a lttle over a week ago, but haven't heard anything from TRU. For those who have had their online trade-ins processed, how long did it take from when you sent your games to TRU for you to get your giftcard or confirmation?

It seems to vary. I sent in one on Sept. 14 and another on Sept. 16. I received confirmation of receipt on Sept. 21. They say it takes a couple days to process and ship the gift cards. I've not received them yet but have not checked my mailbox today.

fuck! I knew it was too good to last. Batman:AA for both PS3 and 360 has dropped to $30 something each.

Dammit!!

Oh well....now I KNOW I'm keeping the game, since I can get $30 or so from Rapestop with their $5 bonus promo, so the TIV's are even now.

This isn't good. My account still hasn't been updated. It still says 'pending' on my account page, like it has for the past ten days. I'm starting to think I gave TRU a big box of free games. I followed the instructions on the site to the letter, but still haven't even had a confirmaton that they recieved the games. This sucks.
So, anyone who plans on trading in games to the TRU site, you may want to think twice before sending them your games.

I just noticed my Guitar Hero World Tour for the PS3 has a "Not For Resale" where the barcode is supposed to be. I bought it with the guitar a long time ago. And from reading 100xp's comments on Wii Sports, this probably won't go through either.

Anybody got it to work in store with Not For Resale where the barcode is supposed to be?

[quote name='Se7en69']I just noticed my Guitar Hero World Tour for the PS3 has a "Not For Resale" where the barcode is supposed to be. I bought it with the guitar a long time ago. And from reading 100xp's comments on Wii Sports, this probably won't go through either.

Anybody got it to work in store with Not For Resale where the barcode is supposed to be?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps ask a GS employee if you can switch cover art for one with UPC? They us their own AFAIK

[quote name='Se7en69']I just noticed my Guitar Hero World Tour for the PS3 has a "Not For Resale" where the barcode is supposed to be. I bought it with the guitar a long time ago. And from reading 100xp's comments on Wii Sports, this probably won't go through either.

Anybody got it to work in store with Not For Resale where the barcode is supposed to be?[/QUOTE]

You could cut that square out or just trade it in as game disc only (although there's a reduction in trade value there).

If TRU won't take it, like when I tried to trade in Wii Sports, I emailed TRU trade in center's website. I got a response in 2 days and they gave me a UPC code and a number for TRU to call if they needed assistance. They don't have to scan a bar code, they can also punch in a UPC code they're just lazy. I worked retailed just so I can say, "hey, i've worked retail...you can type 12 numbers."

It requires some persistence and a good attitude but if it's on their website they have to take it, if they refuse tell them to call the (410) number. "You may have the Toys “R” Us store call our support line at 1-410-316-9906 if they need assistance on processing this trade."

May the force be with you.

Thanks for the replies. What I'm going to do then is print the pages for World Tour and Wii Sports - I also have a Wii. They both have the Sku's there. Going to walk up to their service desk with the printed pages and games. Hopefully things will go smoothly.

Just a heads up, when I finally was able to trade in Wii Sports there was a prompt on their cpu screen saying "untradeable, please return to customer" or something similar to that...but the sales rep at that point just wanted to get me outta her hair so she ran it twice and finally gave me my $6.95 credit.

You need a UPC Code, it might be different from the SKU generation from the website. Here's the one TRU trade in center gave me.

"Another suggestion would be to tell the store to use the following UPC 827307778575 when working up your in store order. "

[quote name='100xp']Just a heads up, when I finally was able to trade in Wii Sports there was a prompt on their cpu screen saying "untradeable, please return to customer" or something similar to that...but the sales rep at that point just wanted to get me outta her hair so she ran it twice and finally gave me my $6.95 credit.

You need a UPC Code, it might be different from the SKU generation from the website. Here's the one TRU trade in center gave me.

"Another suggestion would be to tell the store to use the following UPC 827307778575 when working up your in store order. "[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll try that. Luckily, it is the same sku from the website. Down to $5.40, however. Almost giving up hope before even going. :cold:

Well, I just got back and it worked. All the person has to do is type in the numbers. Best bet is to take a printed page like I did. Funny thing was, I got the old trade in values. Actually got more money for the trade-ins!

bread's done
Back