Toys R Us Ad 4/13-4/19 (B1G1 40% off all games)

...what if I just want two starter kits?

I thought this was cheapassgamer, not cheapassethicsandfraudpolice, sheesh. : P

Last edited by a moderator:
...what if I just want two starter kits?

I thought this was cheapassgamer, not cheapassethicsandfraudpolice, sheesh. : P
If you want two starter kits, that's fine. I was just stating the fact about coupon usage if you were planning on returning one of them (as others have been asking about). No one is judging, just stating facts. No need to get all defensive :)

Tempted to try and match this with PVZ Garden Warfare and maybe the new Disney 3DS game at Best Buy. I know the 20% wouldn't stack on the manually adjusted one but might get PVZ for 20% off and Disney for 40% off but really probably not worth trying. 

Thanks for the tips guys. Got two starter packs (one for me, one for gift) and picked up Empire of Ice pack. Used 2 McDonalds coupons and paid 39.97 total.

Great and effortless deal, didn't have to explain or really say anything.

Thanks for the tips guys. Got two starter packs (one for me, one for gift) and picked up Empire of Ice pack. Used 2 McDonalds coupons and paid 39.97 total.

Great and effortless deal, didn't have to explain or really say anything.
Hey, can you post a scanned copy of the receipt, or break down the price of each item as noted on the receipt? I'm just trying to understand how TRU's system allowed you to use the SAME COUPON CODE (even if you physically gave them 2 coupons, they all have the same scannable code in the back) to apply the $10 discount to EACH of the starter packs you bought.

Usually, TRU's systems are set up so that they would only allow a coupon code to be used ONCE per transaction. If you try to use the same coupon code twice on a given transaction (even if you're buying multiple items), it gives you a duplicate coupon error message. Also, I'd be interested to know how much that Empire of Ice Adventure Pack came out to.

Hey, can you post a scanned copy of the receipt, or break down the price of each item as noted on the receipt? I'm just trying to understand how TRU's system allowed you to use the SAME COUPON CODE (even if you physically gave them 2 coupons, they all have the same scannable code in the back) to apply the $10 discount to EACH of the starter packs you bought.

Usually, TRU's systems are set up so that they would only allow a coupon code to be used ONCE per transaction. If you try to use the same coupon code twice on a given transaction (even if you're buying multiple items), it gives you a duplicate coupon error message. Also, I'd be interested to know how much that Empire of Ice Adventure Pack came out to.
I did it earlier in the week buying 5 starter packs and 5 coupons. It was as easy as walking tithe counter, giving her the games, giving her the coupons, and paying.

[quote name="XombieOO7" post="11697577" timestamp="1397816188"]Hey, can you post a scanned copy of the receipt, or break down the price of each item as noted on the receipt? I'm just trying to understand how TRU's system allowed you to use the SAME COUPON CODE (even if you physically gave them 2 coupons, they all have the same scannable code in the back) to apply the $10 discount to EACH of the starter packs you bought.

Usually, TRU's systems are set up so that they would only allow a coupon code to be used ONCE per transaction. If you try to use the same coupon code twice on a given transaction (even if you're buying multiple items), it gives you a duplicate coupon error message. Also, I'd be interested to know how much that Empire of Ice Adventure Pack came out to.[/quote]I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use two coupons if you are trying to purchase two of an item, as long as the coupons are meant for those items.

I keep going back and forth in my head about whether I want to drop by TRU and grab two games. I'm thinking M&L: Partners in Time and something else. Hmm.

Is Skylanders actually...fun? Like, as a 26 year old male, would I actually enjoy it, or is it something that's mostly just popular because the youngsters are into it?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use two coupons if you are trying to purchase two of an item, as long as the coupons are meant for those items.
It's like I explained in my previous post. TRU's system is typically set up to take only ONE COUPON CODE OF A KIND per transaction. Since all of the McDonald's $10 off coupons use the same code (I know this because I bought my niece and nephew a couple of Happy Meals yesterday... they got different toys too, but the coupon code was the same in both bags). So TRU's system should give you a "duplicate coupon" error message if you try to use multiple copies of the same coupon in a given purchase, even if you ARE buying multiple items in that same transaction. At least that's what I've experienced in the past.

Now it could be different for this particular coupon, and that's why I asked for a scanned copy of the receipt as proof. Or at least an explanation of how he got that total of $39.97 would be okay too.

By the way, the fine print on the McDonald's coupons also says "one coupon per purchase" and "not valid with any other offer." So a TRU clerk or manager that actually reads this, might decide to not apply it altogether (because they already have a Buy 1 Get 40% Off promo for the starter packs and all other games).

I did it earlier in the week buying 5 starter packs and 5 coupons. It was as easy as walking tithe counter, giving her the games, giving her the coupons, and paying.
No offense, but I didn't put much faith in your post because you couldn't even figure out the math on your receipt, so I doubted whether or not you COULD ACTUALLY TELL IF ALL of those $10 coupons were actually applied or not. Sure the employee scanned all of your coupons (and even the $1 off coupons for single character packs that you didn't even buy... meaning these were never applied to your receipt), but did more than 1 of those $10 off coupons for the starter packs actually register on your receipt? Can you even tell? Perhaps you can provide a scan of your receipt, or a line by line explanation so we could all see what discounts you got or didn't get.

It's like I explained in my previous post. TRU's system is typically set up to take only ONE COUPON CODE OF A KIND per transaction. Since all of the McDonald's $10 off coupons use the same code (I know this because I bought my niece and nephew a couple of Happy Meals yesterday... they got different toys too, but the coupon code was the same in both bags). So TRU's system should give you a "duplicate coupon" error message if you try to use multiple copies of the same coupon in a given purchase, even if you ARE buying multiple items in that same transaction. At least that's what I've experienced in the past.

Now it could be different for this particular coupon, and that's why I asked for a scanned copy of the receipt as proof. Or at least an explanation of how he got that total of $39.97 would be okay too.

By the way, the fine print on the McDonald's coupons also says "one coupon per purchase" and "not valid with any other offer." So a TRU clerk or manager that actually reads this, might decide to not apply it altogether (because they already have a Buy 1 Get 40% Off promo for the starter packs and all other games).
The one coupon code is only for TRU store coupons. There is no restrictions on how many of the same manufactuer coupons that can be used on one transaction unless otherwise specified.

No offense, but I didn't put much faith in your post because you couldn't even figure out the math on your receipt, so I doubted whether or not you COULD ACTUALLY TELL IF ALL of those $10 coupons were actually applied or not. Sure the employee scanned all of your coupons (and even the $1 off coupons for single character packs that you didn't even buy... meaning these were never applied to your receipt), but did more than 1 of those $10 off coupons for the starter packs actually register on your receipt? Can you even tell? Perhaps you can provide a scan of your receipt, or a line by line explanation so we could all see what discounts you got or didn't get.
No offense but I'm just going to call you stupid in a lot of words is what you basically told him.

So back to my question...
truthfully I wouldn't think so I'm 27 bought it for nephew and my girls little brother. I set it up today for girls bro he's like 5. It's cool and all it looks like rachet and clank a bit but I couldn't see my self really getting into it. It's fun to see the kids enjoy when you set it up and explain it a bit but that's as far as it goes for me really.

I almost got myself one for ps4 today just to see what all the hype is about but passed after watching a few minutes of the kid playing. It's for children and I mean really it's a kids game but it has some platforming and adults could like it too. It is cool just depends what your into really.

Just check out a game clip on you tube truthfully you will no just from 5 minutes of that.

I'd post a picture if I knew how. Can I do it on mobile?

Also, the thing that was weird on the receipt was that Game 1 ($32.50) of the bogo 40% off combo said "return value $25.99," but Game 2 ($19.50) didn't list a return value at all. So I was confused.

AND, I had $55 worth of coupons added to my receipt. The lady just started scanning them and I didn't argue.

EDIT: Each coupon scan is a line item on my receipt (either $1 off or $10 off). My total for the 5 starter kits was ~$88.

Is Skylanders actually...fun? Like, as a 26 year old male, would I actually enjoy it, or is it something that's mostly just popular because the youngsters are into it?
I think it's fun. It's addictive and you can tell its for kids, but I (regrettably) really like it. I am a hardcore Nintendo "fanboy" if that tells you anything.

Last summer I got in on that $1 Giants starter pack at target. Didn't get around to playing it until probably February of this year. It's a really well-designed game which is a huge reason kids like it so much (I think).

I'd post a picture if I knew how. Can I do it on mobile?

Also, the thing that was weird on the receipt was that Game 1 ($32.50) of the bogo 40% off combo said "return value $25.99," but Game 2 ($19.50) didn't list a return value at all. So I was confused.

AND, I had $55 worth of coupons added to my receipt. The lady just started scanning them and I didn't argue.

EDIT: Each coupon scan is a line item on my receipt (either $1 off or $10 off). My total for the 5 starter kits was ~$88.
Xombie you kind of sound like a TRU IT guy who is interrogating us on how we bypassed your system (loljk)

Yeah I don't know how to post a pic either. But essentially the same as he said: 32.49 for one, 19.49 for the other, and Empire of Ice was on sale for 9.99. Then when she took the coupons she just scanned all the barcodes and on the receipt it says at the end (times 2): "VENDOR COUPON 10.00-" It also took 1.00- even though I didn't buy one. Total = $39.97. Really, it was the easiest CAG in-store transaction I've had in a long time.

You know it makes me wonder if it will take $10 off anything, not necessarily the Skylanders starter packs. If someone tries this please post the results.

No offense but I'm just going to call you stupid in a lot of words is what you basically told him.
LOL... That's why I began with "no offense...." I was at least trying to be polite about it.

By the way, he (Bluebossa4) was right. As prim4444 stated, apparently these manufacturer/vendor coupons can be used multiple times on the same transaction, even if they do have the same identical coupon code. I was finally able to get down to the store and purchase 2 of the Swap Force starter packs. Not only are they on sale for $32.49, but the Buy 1 Get 1 40% Off offer also applies (as had already been noted by others), and both of the McDonald's $10 off coupons were applied as well even though they have the same exact code.

Although I should point out again, the fine print on these coupons does clearly state "one coupon per purchase," so a clerk/manager may refuse to scan more than one of these in a given transaction.

Xombie you kind of sound like a TRU IT guy who is interrogating us on how we bypassed your system (loljk)

Yeah I don't know how to post a pic either. But essentially the same as he said: 32.49 for one, 19.49 for the other, and Empire of Ice was on sale for 9.99. Then when she took the coupons she just scanned all the barcodes and on the receipt it says at the end (times 2): "VENDOR COUPON 10.00-" It also took 1.00- even though I didn't buy one. Total = $39.97. Really, it was the easiest CAG in-store transaction I've had in a long time.

You know it makes me wonder if it will take $10 off anything, not necessarily the Skylanders starter packs. If someone tries this please post the results.
Haha... Actually, I think it's prim4444 who may be your TRU "insider" as it were. There was also a guy that everyone just referred to as "Josh" (although that wasn't his CAG username) who actually worked with TRU, and would often post upcoming TRU deals well ahead of time to give us CAGs a heads-up on what to expect, but I haven't seen him post in a while.

As for your speculation about these coupons, yeah I think both the $10 off and the $1 off coupons would probably work with any purchase, and not just at TRU, but probably at other retailers too. However, if you're buying anything that's not Skylanders or Swap Force related, the employees may not even be wiling to scan these coupons for you. Also, it'd be unethical and more importantly fraudulent... so even if you think you got away with it at the time of the purchase, the retailer certainly can report you later on to the authorities once they discover the fraud.

Do they still have them 10 dollar off coupons in happy meals? Could grab my daughter and save ten maybe 20 bucks to help with the ridiculous prices Toysrus has.

Went yesterday and all of the games I wanted would be cheaper if I went else where. Even with 40% off. Now 10-20 dollars in coupons would level the playing field a bit

So for the 2 day easter sale in Toys R Us, I know Titanfall for xbox one is 39.99 but is it the same for the xbox 360 version as well? I tried searching for the price online om their website and only shows the xbox one version at 39.99. Hoping to buy a 360 version and maybe something else for b1g 40% off. Thanks!

Do they still have them 10 dollar off coupons in happy meals? Could grab my daughter and save ten maybe 20 bucks to help with the ridiculous prices Toysrus has.

Went yesterday and all of the games I wanted would be cheaper if I went else where. Even with 40% off. Now 10-20 dollars in coupons would level the playing field a bit
The $10 off is for Skylanders Swap Force, to go along with Skylanders toys at McDonald's. They aren't retailer specific; everyone is just going to TRU because Swap Force is $32.49 this week.

The $10 off is for Skylanders Swap Force, to go along with Skylanders toys at McDonald's. They aren't retailer specific; everyone is just going to TRU because Swap Force is $32.49 this week.
I just got back from TRU and picked up 2 Swap Force Starter Packs and a 3 pack of skylanders they have on sale for $9.99. The total came out to $45.xx because I was able to use 2 Happy meal coupons on the same transaction, and Video games are Buy one, get one 40% off.
Helluva deal.

bread's done
Back