Toys R US--- BE CAUTIOUS

Jaws8u

CAG Veteran
I'm not sure exactly where to post this, but I think the community should be aware of Toys R US's poor treatment of customers specifically regarding their promotional gift cards. If you are interested in my personal experience read on...

I will start with the letter one of their customer service representatives urged me to write, promising "Just trust me, if you write they will handle this." It describes my EXACT experience.

""

Dear Toys’R’US

In May of 2010 I purchased Red Dead Redemption from Oklahoma City store 7804. I received a gift card with purchase for the sum of $25 with an expiration date of 1-31-11. In mid-September (unsure of exact date, though it will be in your records) I purchased 2 copies of Halo Reach and used my gift card on the purchase. With the purchase came a $50 gift card (25 for each copy) which the teller placed back on the ORIGINAL card. I protested, pointing to the front of the card with the 1/31/11 expiration date. She assured me that the system kept track of updates to cards and that my time would be increased reflecting the recent purchase. She pointed to a 4 digit code she wrote on the back “4569”.... A copy of the card is included (I wrote over the digits as they had faded since originally written).
In the middle of February I decided to inquire about my card to which I promptly found that the card expired on, of course, 1-31-11, meaning that promotional gift cards purchased 4 months apart have identical expiration dates… This would have been fine if I wasn’t purposely led to believe otherwise. It should also be noted that the teller of my first purchase actually told me that I had a full year from the date of purchase to use my card which was also untrue.
This is the 2nd time I have been escalated. The first time I was assured that while they could not fix this problem, the next level would. That, of course, was not the case. I have once again been assured that this next level will have my problem fixed. At this point I am horribly disappointed with Toys R Us’s customer service, promotions, and stores.

""

After wasting hours of my time and receiving SEVERAL promises all I got was a gold medal trolling attempt from a rep who forced me to describe the situation for approximately the 8th time. This occurred after I RETURNED a call from them. I had not contacted them in a FULL MONTH, and they basically called just to ruin my day.

There are great companies selling video games at this point... Namely Amazon... I see no reason to do business with a company that treats their customers so poorly

Jaws8u

That sucks, man. I find it amazing that these companies continually treat their customers like dirt and expect them to come back again and again. They should realize in this day and age that the internet is king and companies like Amazon continue to grow. Eventually they will no longer be around because of situations like this and I for one won't be too sad to see them go.

As it says in red at the top of each thread in this forum "ONLY POST SPECIFIC VIDEO GAME DEALS!" This is not the place for stuff like this.

Sadly, there's no perfect forum for this... No doubt it gets locked. I just feel people should be aware.

Man that would have been a decent blog...

In the Blog section....

Top of the screen here is a link....

just wanted to help

Thread-Crap-ComicBookGuy.jpg

I joke, thing that sucks here is you could see the problem coming. Next time don't take the word of a store employee.

[quote name='tukai']cool story bro[/QUOTE]

No reason to be a smart ass. I appreciate knowing who I'm dealing with, don't you? I think the real moral of the story is fuck Toys 'R Us!

[quote name='Lice']I could of swore I read this before on this forum....[/QUOTE]

lol same...i think this guy posted this thread on another section a couple hours ago

its funny cause both threads have "cool story bro" as the first reply:lol:

fuck that, I would have told the damn cashier she's not putting the promotional credit on the original gift card with that expiration date. There's no fucking way I would've let that happen. You need to be firm with these bitches.

I would have lied and told them the $50 dollar gift card was going to be a gift, or at least checked the balance in the parking lot. I always do that at least.

Oh, last thing, check your state laws. In California, and I think New York, its illegal for the gift cards to simply expire. Now, they can deduct a maintenance fee every month, after a year.

So, back in September 2010 they added $50 to this gift card and you didn't use or check it again till the middle of February 2011?

Regardless of when the card expires or what you were told - there was nothing in between that time to spend the monies on?

Why didn't you just purchase something for $50 or more then return it and get a different card if the expiration date bothered you?

Don't get me wrong I think it sucks that you may be out of $50 but there were options....

Best of luck - hope it works out.

[quote name='tarbsdad']

Why didn't you just purchase something for $50 or more then return it and get a different card if the expiration date bothered you?
[/QUOTE]

You don't even have to do that. You can just buy a non-expiring gift card once the expiring one activates.

[quote name='Xdeath452x']I would have lied and told them the $50 dollar gift card was going to be a gift, or at least checked the balance in the parking lot. I always do that at least.

Oh, last thing, check your state laws. In California, and I think New York, its illegal for the gift cards to simply expire. Now, they can deduct a maintenance fee every month, after a year.[/QUOTE]

Those laws don't ra

[quote name='Xdeath452x']
Oh, last thing, check your state laws. In California, and I think New York, its illegal for the gift cards to simply expire. Now, they can deduct a maintenance fee every month, after a year.[/QUOTE]

Those laws don't apply to promotional cards, which these are.

When I bought FF13 at launch (March 2010), Toys 'R Us was giving a $20 gift card. Not sure if their policy changed, or if the salesman was going out of his way, but he put the $20 on a "Merchandise Credit" card, which doesn't have an expiration date. I think he mentioned their normal gift cards have an expiration. So if anyone's local store allows the choice, see if they'll put it on a Merchandisc Credit card. The key to this story is I still have NOT used the credit, but called the 800-number on the back of the card just now, and it still has a full $20 on it. So no expiration date and no penalty thus-far.

Amazon is just as bad these days. I have plenty of horror stories, and I am a fucking Prime member.

Truth be told, I am canceling said Prime membership today, on account of terrible service @ the hands of outsourced "support" reps.

Step 1:Bought MK @ 54.99
Step 2: See CAG listing for TRU MK deal.
Step 3: Contact support @ Zon to inquire about price match/ CSR denies my inquiry, and CANCELS my order which I specifically asked him not to do, as I had already been charged, and item was "shipping soon"
Step 4: Buy game elsewhere, while waiting for Zon charge to refund
Step 5: 24 hours after being told I could not receive the difference between the 54.99 I paid, and the 49.99 TRU offers, Amazon drops their price to 49.99

fuck you, Amazon, may all of your pencil pushers get lead poisoning.

I had a bad experience with Toy's R Us too!
About a week ago I wanted to buy a 1-month card for Xbox Live (Still do but can't nobody sells them) and this guy on the phone says they have them. We drive 15 min to get there some other guy, who was really nice and polite, checks everywhere, he even looks in the back. They say they don't have any. RARRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!

I had a bad experience, too, I worked there. Go easy on the poor folks there because they all get treated like shit.

I decided not to give TRU any of my money a while ago. I called 'em up to check on a deal and they straight up yelled at me. No thank you.

bread's done
Back