Toys R Us Coupon mailer: $10 off two games 19.99 or less

Yeahman

CAGiversary!
Got a R-Zone holiday gift guide in the mail today. A couple of good coupns in there:

Save $10 on Sega 2 packs

$10 off an Nintendo purchase $100 or more

Save $5 off any Disney Video Game

The most interesting is one that is $10 off any two Video games $19.99 or LESS. Obviously a misprint but it will be interesting to see if they will honor it. Probably not.

Anyone else get these? The coupons are good starting Dec 3rd

Well that was my first attempt at "hoarding" for Hastings trade bait, and it blew up in my face. I guess that's karma or something.

First, I spent 45 minutes loading a cart full of games from this thread. I knew which ones were $10 or less, and I got all of them I could find for a total of 67 titles. Then I pissed with the Geoffrey scanner for a while just to double-check, but those cases hosed the scanner but good. Plus, I kept having to step aside to let these kids scan every Li'l Bratz in the store to see which ones were on sale. A grown man fighting with two eight-year-olds over the Geoffrey scanner...I thought I would never feel any lamer in my life.

And then it happened.

I picked the most naive-looking checker and got in line. I told him to warn me if any titles came up for over $10. It literally took 20 minutes to unbox them and scan and bag them all. Somewhere along the way, the kid asks me if I run a store...I just smile and say "nope, I've got lots of friends." Finally we're done, and the subtotal comes to $400. I say "that's before the discount, right?" And the kid looks at me and says "what discount?"

"The $10 off any 2 video games $19.99 or less...right?"

"Hmm...hang on."

The kid calls over to the videogames section and then says, "It's any two games $19.99 or under for $30."

That's it...no green tag discounts rang up, and no $10 off two games either. It didn't matter how many times I told him to hit the Total key. So I held up the line for 20 minutes and had this kid sack up 67 games all for nothing.

WTF?

And there's still more.

As I'm about to walk out of the store, I see the kid talking to an older checker and they're just shaking their heads. I'm sure they're talking about me. But I realize that in my embarassment, I gave up too soon. There were some titles that rang up for $5 even without discounts, and if I used the coupon, at least I could get those for free.

So now I get back in the kid's line and have him go through all 67 games again to cherry-pick the best deals. While that's happening, a manager comes over and asks me if there's a problem. I tell him yes there is, that these green tag games should be 70% off, and that I should be getting $10 off each two games under $19.99. But the guy was all business.

The last thing he said was, "if those games are under $19.99 then you won't get the discount...you're getting a good enough deal on them already."

So I ended up getting 4 copies each of Beyond Good and Evil, Drake and I don't even remember what the other two titles were. They did take the coupon, no questions asked. I paid $32 for 16 games, and that gives me four 4-for-1 trades at Hastings or Media Play. I guess I should be happy with that, but when you start off expecting 67 free titles, then 16 for $32 isn't that exciting.

The final insult came when I tried to use my debit card to pay the $32 bill and it came back denied. "Sir, your debit card was denied...do you have any other way to pay?" Good lord. I came home and checked my balance online and I've got like $800 in there, so I'm mystified. Anyway it made the kid happy, and it was perhaps the perfect ending to the story.

Even Mojo rang up at $9.99, no discounts. I wonder WTF was up with the system at my TRU?

Do you think TRU will ever have this coupon again. I definitely got in on it like it was never going to happen again. I feel like this was a once in a life time opportunity. I walk away with so many free green tag games I find it too hard to believe sometimes. There's no way that TRU will run this coupon again in 2005. Anyway, this deal is officially dead now. Let's move the thread to "Bragging Rights" so we can share our stories and list our bounty.

The Azusa guy took the printed coupon. He was cool about it aside from being an Xbot. Got Texas Hold "Em ($5) and Bubble Bobble Old & New ($10) for the GBA and Gladius for the PS2 ($2.50!!!) and Intellivision Lives! for the Cube ($1)

Huzzah! Here's my stash I got before closing from the Sunnyvale, CA TRU. This was all I managed to get before the store closed; there were some games I was interested in that I regret not grabbing while in line, like Aggressive Inline (PS2) and SSX (PS2) for free after coupon:

tru_reciept2.jpg

R: Racing Evolution (PS2) - $0.00
Beyond Good & Evil (PS2) - $2.61
Dave Mirra Freestlyle BMX 2 (PS2) - $4.98
Trivial Pursuit: Unhinged (PS2) - $1.85
Siren (PS2) - $4.98
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2) - $0.00
Mad Maestro! (PS2) - $0.00
Stuntman (PS2) - $0.00
eJay Clubworld (PS2) - $0.00
Turok: Evolution (PS2) - $0.00 (I'll live with it if it's free)

Total after taxes: $15.61

Much thanks to the OP and everyone who posted the coupons, including the helpful .doc file and the PDFs! This was a nice way to end the year. :D

This was a good deal . . . could be the best of the year in that it seems that most people got something (some got a lot).

I liked the CC summer sale best! But I got in early and got really great games. (Disgaea, MvC, . . .)

The CC glitch a weeks ago netted 8 really high quality games for me @$5 per! But I got shut out when I went for more.

I think I did best with the Target Zelda 67% off raincheck getting hot games GTASA, Up Your Arsenal, Jak 3, Paper Mario, Metroid 2 all for $16.88 each!!!

For the coupon, my TRUs (went to 4 total) were not as good as some others that yielded more free games (most of the good stuff came up $7-8 before coupon so many games I paid a whole $3-4 for :)) So, I don't have a huge pile of free games (not that I want 20 copies of MOJO). I might have done a bit better if I had been better educated and had more time when I went to 2 of the TRUs. Holiday rush with wife and kids waiting in the car. :cry:

But I ended up with about 16 games in several trips (games of desire to me). Maybe 8 were free (only saw one of each for most of those). A couple were $10 (MGSTS). I'll likely get a few more in trades (actually, for me the trades are the best part of CAG . . . hooking up with other gamers from around the country for $2.xx at a time).

Plus, I have $150 in EB credit (12 tradeins, 9 from TRU games at $12.50 each). :shock:

Anyone looking for Xenosaga, Mafia (xbox), Chaos Legion, DMC, BGE, Hitman 2, Mad Maestro???? PM me!

I think TRU is probably kicking themselves for releasing this coupon during the same time as their 70% off sale AND a promo for 2 for $30 (which lowered games further anyway before the initial discount(s)... I'm quite POSITIVE the TRU I went to was happy to let me get away with 10 games with no charge... :roll:

[quote name='Moosejaw']I want to my other TRU today around 8pm, and didn't realize that they closed early today. I was really hoping to try and find cheap copies of Xenosaga and Castlevania:LOI. Nuts.

So all I got was XIII and RE: CV last week, which Im' still pretty happy about, but if I could've foind these 2, it would have been that much better.

Oh well. Maybe I can find 'em used somewhere...

Anyway, thanks to the OP and those who put the coupon up. This was great.[/quote]

That's not as bad as getting to TRU at *6:15pm*!!! Yes, I too had no idea they were closing early for New Years Eve. I really wanted to see if the Eatontown, NJ store had a copy of Magic Pengel. And I still would like to get a copy of Fatal Frame II. But still, aren't the clearance prices still in effect, just not the $10 off loophole? $6.97 or whatever the hell it would be on clearance for Fatal Frame II still aint bad.

Anyway, my stash wasn't nearly as large as some of yours but it was certainly sweet. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits and Silpheed for not one damn cent. Sigh, if only they'd been open at 6:15pm, I could have been King, King I tells ya!!

[quote name='Fatesealer']I think TRU is probably kicking themselves for releasing this coupon during the same time as their 70% off sale AND a promo for 2 for $30 (which lowered games further anyway before the initial discount(s)... I'm quite POSITIVE the TRU I went to was happy to let me get away with 10 games with no charge... :roll:[/quote]

I notice that too. The cashier had no problem letting me walk out with all those free games. It was like the computer doesn't lie so that price is the price you pay. Got some strange looks but it was always service with a smile. I've always like shopping at my TRU but now I really like that place.

[quote name='Richter']can i have one? :) :D
didnt have any at my store[/quote]
:( Sorry guys. Half were my friends, they were just in my care til he went home and showered, I gave out all but two at the New Years party. One of the two remaining being an X-Box version I lucked upon for myself and the other for my cousin.

I got in on this yesterday, it was my single greatest CAG moment to date. I got a great cashier, talked to her really nicely so she was patient with all my price-checking and walked out with a pile of games and a receipt that said I saved $183.58. It was awesome, the manager and another clerk were hanging out with us while I was checking out helping to pull the games out of the security clam-shells. I got some of the weirdest looks from other customers. When I was walking out, the clerk is like "You got an awesome deal!"

Unfortunately, a friend of mine went at the same time and got a different cashier who refused to run the coupon. He was only getting a couple games so he didn't fight it.

If anyone is interested I have extras of Soul Calibur II (PS2), Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PS2), Devil May Cry (PS2), and a couple of others in my trade list.

I went to the Stonecrest location and sure enough, they had nothing... I did get Castlevania AOS for $14 though so it wasn't a total loss...

Wow how unlucky can I be. After a month of looking over it I JUST read the thread and found out you could use the coupon multiple times. As I quickly got excited and printed out the coupon multiple times. OOppp, it expired yesterday. SHAQ-FU THIS!

Wait, so the coupon expired yesterday? Damn... I was gonna go pick up some cheapies to use on the EB deal (trade in ANY three games, get an extra $10 credit).:whistle2:(

[quote name='Vinny']Wait, so the coupon expired yesterday? Damn... I was gonna go pick up some cheapies to use on the EB deal (trade in ANY three games, get an extra $10 credit).:whistle2:([/quote]

most of the games were on the exclusion list anyways

I found some that weren't and used them today at EB. Hitman 2 and MGS 2 (XBox) both work. General rule that I go by is anything that EB sells used over $10 will work; both goes for $12.99 used.

I don't have an XBox but seeing that it was MGS: substance and it was free I had to pick it up. But I wished that it was the PS2 version, I want that so badly but the EB's price won't drop!

Might even go back tomorrow to check out if there are any cheap games that I can use over at EB, as long as they're around $5 at TRU it's still a deal. If I can find 4 different titles for MGS 3 or Jak 3.

[quote name='Fatesealer']I went to the Stonecrest location and sure enough, they had nothing... I did get Castlevania AOS for $14 though so it wasn't a total loss...[/quote]

Yeah, I cleaned them out on the 31st, since that coupon was about to expire.. but then when I was paying, the clerk told me that they had a ton of other cheap games in the back, and that he could grab me any that I couldn't find on the floor. Very cool. He also said they had 13 PSOne LCDs for $21 ea; I had already picked one up for like $25 at another TRU a few days before, but I did go ahead and grab a few more for trading. None of the screens were on the floor - he had to get them from the back.

As for games, I got most of what i wanted, and there were still a handful of Rtypes, CLOI, and more on the floor when i left - also many more in the back according to the clrek.

I picked these up yesterday without the coupon!

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA, new) - $10.98
Gran Turismo 2 (PS1, GH, new) - $2.09
Max Payne 2 (XB, new) - $4.98
Tenchu (XB, new) - $5.48

At first I was gonna just change the date to january 05 but i figured then someone would print it and waltz into TRU trying to use it. I'd like to see someone try to use the $100 off though!

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='CouRageouS']OMFG!!!!11!1!!
ultimatecoupon.jpg
[/quote]

hahahah :rofl: Great photoshop job.[/quote]
Photoshop?! I got it off the TRU website! The cashier said he was going to print one off the website too, right after he manually adjusted the price and handed me $80 out of the register since the total was -$80.xx. $80 for free and a ton of games! BEST DEAL of 05 THUS FAR!

[quote name='CouRageouS']OMFG!!!!11!1!!
ultimatecoupon.jpg
[/quote]
The funny thing is that on one of my receipts it says "You Saved $158.71" so this coupon isn't that far off :)

[quote name='CouRageouS']OMFG!!!!11!1!!
ultimatecoupon.jpg
[/quote]

TRU employees better keep their eyes open. 20:!, some fatwallet pig will be trying to use this. :)

[quote name='trustcompany1013']ok, this thread never ever showed up on my computer til just now....its a sad day for me now ;o([/quote]
:shock:

[quote name='trustcompany1013']ok, this thread never ever showed up on my computer til just now....its a sad day for me now ;o([/quote]

yaeh I hate to say it but it didn't for me either. Weird. Just gave on it since my TRU doesn't have anything that great anymore on clearance anyway.

This was the sleepiest deal I've ever seen.

I got the original flyer in the mail . . . I was standing looking at the fricken coupon in my kitchen thinking that looks interesting. My wife later put the mailer in the trash.

I read the original posts about it in early Dec. . . . "oh yeah, that coupon." But I really don't like TRU for games.

Finally, it kicks in as I saw scans of receipts . . . I first used the coupon on Dec. 20th!!!!!! Oh, the games I must've missed :cry:

I did end up getting some really nice deals and cool trades too. But considering that games were actually free . . . a lot of CAGers really missed this one.

[quote name='schultzed']
This was the sleepiest deal I've ever seen.

I did end up getting some really nice deals and cool trades too. But considering that games were actually free . . . a lot of CAGers really missed this one.[/quote]

Indeed it was the sleepiest deal. My friend was able to fully utiliize the coupon on the last day and hit every TRU. He snagged 20 copies of SC2, 18 copies of XIII, a bunch of Mad Maestros, Club World, DMC, etc. and was able to sell them to a local trading game place and got $350 in cash for spending only $10 :shock:

I have to scan my receipts....I was doing this deal before I knew about CAG....a few reciepts that are total juice.

bread's done
Back