Toys R Us overcharging for game

brarian

CAG Veteran
So, I have a Toys R Us return credit for a present I got at Christmas. I decide to use it to get Trauma Team (Wii). The website says the game is 49.99, even though Atlus announced a price drop a couple of months ago to 39.99, which is the price at all other major retailers that I can find. I call the store to see if they have more updated pricing info, and they said it was 49.99. I called the 800 number. They tell me that there's free shipping (yay?) - but it's 49.99. I have enough credit to buy it at this price if I want to, but it would annoy me. Anyone have this happen before?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='brarian']So, I have a Toys R Us return credit for a present I got at Christmas. I decide to use it to get Trauma Team (Wii). The website says the game is 49.99, even though Atlus announced a price drop a couple of months ago to 39.99, which is the price at all other major retailers that I can find. I call the store to see if they have more updated pricing info, and they said it was 49.99. I called the 800 number. They tell me that there's free shipping (yay?) - but it's 49.99. I have enough credit to buy it at this price if I want to, but it would annoy me. Anyone have this happen before?[/QUOTE]

ToysRus is known for not following suit when other retailers drop their prices. Their initial MSRP hold unless the game is complete garbage, and it eventually ends up in Clearance.
Furthermore, in some areas (like New York), they're known for charging more than Msrp (e.g. a $59.99 game will cost $64.99 in a NY store).

So, don't shop there, if you don't like it. They really don't care that you don't like it.

I remember when they were the only ones to charge $70 for a Pokemon game, I know they charged at least 70 for Pokemon Colloseum when it came out for the Gamecube, everywhere else was 49.99. For this reason I usually do not shop there for anything unless I have to or its an item that is very cheap, because overcharging above MSRP is not cool. I am sure they overcharged for other games in the past too.

OT but I have also witnessed Kmart charge $70 for some zelda gamecube game.

Gamestop usually charges 34.99 on DS games that have an MSRP of 29.99 although I haven't seen that one in a while, they mostly do it with mario games.

Does everyone forget that the "S" in MSRP is "Suggested"? Retailers can charge whatever they want for an item, though competition between retailers tends to keep them to MSRP or lower.

[quote name='shrike4242']Does everyone forget that the "S" in MSRP is "Suggested"? Retailers can charge whatever they want for an item, though competition between retailers tends to keep them to MSRP or lower.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was going to post. And as others already provided some of the other examples I was going to point out.

Yes, agreed. What shrike4242 said was right, but it is also true that Toys r us charge too much on games. Better not buy them there, there is always a place where they sell it much cheaper
o.gif

[quote name='dragonjud']ToysRus is known for not following suit when other retailers drop their prices. Their initial MSRP hold unless the game is complete garbage, and it eventually ends up in Clearance.
Furthermore, in some areas (like New York), they're known for charging more than Msrp (e.g. a $59.99 game will cost $64.99 in a NY store).
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that doesn't surprise me since it is New York, I still remember going to FAO Schwarz in NYC in 1997 and seeing N64 games that were $49.99 - $59.99 MSRP selling for $89.99 there.

bread's done
Back