Trade gone sour. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
The other thread I started was removed because I used the users actual CAG name. While I think it would be fair to warn other users, it is omitted from this exchange.

I'd been trying to swing a trade with this person and I'd been waiting for the trade to come. He was slated to send first and it had been a couple days. I asked him for his address and well...:

[quote name='knee']Hello,

What is your address? I am getting boxes packed and addressed tonight so I'll be able to roll quickly when the trades come in.

Also, have you sent the games out yet? Let me know!

-gareth

Sorry I haven't emailed you make this past week, I've been very busy. Sadly, I haven't been able to send it, and my dog got into my MPH case and ate the game.

Kind of retarded, IMO. So I can't send it now... since I don't have MPH anymore.[/QUOTE]

'His dog ate it'

I responded with:

[quote name='knee']'Your dog ate it' and you managed to get the tiny little cartridge out of its mouth. And I had to e-mail you to find this out?

That's a roundabout way to say you didn't want to do the deal anymore. Next time just say you'd rather not trade it.

Your word is useless.

-Gareth
[/quote]

Ridiculous.

Was I out of line or overly rude in that response? I find it extreeeeeeeemely hard to believe that 'his dog ate the game' and he insists it's the truth. While this situation ends up better than than sending away and not receiving, why can't people just admit that they want to back out of a trade? Bah.

While no doubt its annoying to spend time arranging something that falls through, I'd be thankful you're not out anything other than your time. :whistle2:l

Yeah, he should have just said he didnt want to trade anymore, that was a pretty dumb excuse. He should have at least made up a plausible excuse. You didn't lose anything though, so its not that big of a deal.

I responded to your previous thread before it was deleted, but now I'm too brain dead to come up with the same thought filled and meaningful response... sorry. Something about lucky you didn't get ripped off and he's just trying to be nice.

I say a trade/sale/purchase isn't a trade/sale/purchase until items are sent out or money is exchanged. It seems other trader had second thoughts about doing the trade. O well. As I see it there was/is no trade.

My dog has eaten a couple DS games :( honestly (both at the same time with the remains being spat out and found lying next to each other) so it is possible.

Originally Posted by knee
'Your dog ate it' and you managed to get the tiny little cartridge out of its mouth"

I don't see anywhere in his response where it mentioned he got the cartridge back, just that the dog ate it. Period.

Dog ate it FTW.

I had someone basically do the same thing. Worked out a trade with them then they ignored a PM or two I finally checked back with them about 5 days later to finally have them PM me back with a I'm to busy excuse. I didn't believe him and felt like saying that I didn't believe it and he should have just let me known ASAP if he changed his mind about trading as I was trading for something from the CC sale this past summer and the sooner I could work out another trade the better as I had a feeling he was leaving me hanging and the longer it went on without knowing if he was gonna still trade the harder it was most likely going to be for me to find someone else to trade with. I figured it would be best just to not trade with anyone who is like this in the future if I've had communication problems with them in the past. Although over all I've have good experiences with trading, selling & buying games during clearance time on CAG onver the last year+ and this is the only time I personally had bought games for a CAG just to have them back out.

Like others have said it's only rude at the worst and I think it would be best to hold your tongue and not deal with people like this if you don't like it.

before i own a dog i would say that excuse is total bs. after i own a dog, i would probably believe him because my dog chewed out a lot of valuable things, including games and hard drives and electral wires (thank god it wasn't live wires). hard to keep my dog away from my things when i'm at work and my dog knows how to climb up sofas to reach my things.

Hey some of us have jobs and other things to do and sometimes trades don't sound so great after a day or two. The trade fell through. Work on the next one and move on.

you guys that say "oh well, just move on" are missing the point. it's TOTAL ASSHOLE to just leave someone hanging, and not say anything. some of you seem to be excusing the jerk's actions and aren't bothered by the fact that he was perfectly willing to leave the OP waiting indefinitely, without at least saying something as soon as the incident happened. we ALL know that when it comes to trades, time is of the essence -- games go on clearance, other reasonable trades fall thru, etc... all sorts of crappy things can happen when you have to wait for someone to get darn good and ready to close a deal.

no one is that busy! if they say they are, they're lying. we all have a few seconds to jump on and type something. it's utter nonsense for someone to claim they've got too much going on to drop a 10 second PM that says they've backed out, etc.

furthermore, for everyone that seems to think the OP is overreacting, please note the following:

the person in question had the game on his list after the incident. still wanna give them the benefit of the doubt? okay, well, after it was posted to his tradelist that he might want to remove the title, due to it's being destroyed, it still remains there. what can we conclude from this? only one thing: the trader in question is a liar. plain and simple. so we're not talking about someone who genuinely lost the game due to a hungry canine, this is someone who feels the need to lie about something, in order to improve their situation. to anyone who may have been siding with that less-than-scrupulous trader, would you really want to trade games with someone like that? i know that lots of people lie all the time, but when it's in my face (or the OP's, or yours), wouldn't you be upset?

[quote name='allyourblood']you guys that say "oh well, just move on" are missing the point. it's TOTAL ASSHOLE to just leave someone hanging, and not say anything. some of you seem to be excusing the jerk's actions and aren't bothered by the fact that he was perfectly willing to leave the OP waiting indefinitely, without at least saying something as soon as the incident happened. we ALL know that when it comes to trades, time is of the essence -- games go on clearance, other reasonable trades fall thru, etc... all sorts of crappy things can happen when you have to wait for someone to get darn good and ready to close a deal.

no one is that busy! if they say they are, they're lying. we all have a few seconds to jump on and type something. it's utter nonsense for someone to claim they've got too much going on to drop a 10 second PM that says they've backed out, etc.

furthermore, for everyone that seems to think the OP is overreacting, please note the following:

the person in question had the game on his list after the incident. still wanna give them the benefit of the doubt? okay, well, after it was posted to his tradelist that he might want to remove the title, due to it's being destroyed, it still remains there. what can we conclude from this? only one thing: the trader in question is a liar. plain and simple. so we're not talking about someone who genuinely lost the game due to a hungry canine, this is someone who feels the need to lie about something, in order to improve their situation. to anyone who may have been siding with that less-than-scrupulous trader, would you really want to trade games with someone like that? i know that lots of people lie all the time, but when it's in my face (or the OP's, or yours), wouldn't you be upset?[/QUOTE]

Who Cares. Deal feel through, after a Day or 2 any trader should have realized it as well.

Also he didn't lie in anyones face. ( Your assuming it was a lie as well ) This is the Internet son, not real life.

[quote name='allyourblood']you guys that say "oh well, just move on" are missing the point. it's TOTAL ASSHOLE to just leave someone hanging, and not say anything. some of you seem to be excusing the jerk's actions and aren't bothered by the fact that he was perfectly willing to leave the OP waiting indefinitely, without at least saying something as soon as the incident happened. we ALL know that when it comes to trades, time is of the essence -- games go on clearance, other reasonable trades fall thru, etc... all sorts of crappy things can happen when you have to wait for someone to get darn good and ready to close a deal.

the person in question had the game on his list after the incident. still wanna give them the benefit of the doubt? okay, well, after it was posted to his tradelist that he might want to remove the title, due to it's being destroyed, it still remains there. what can we conclude from this? only one thing: the trader in question is a liar. plain and simple. so we're not talking about someone who genuinely lost the game due to a hungry canine, this is someone who feels the need to lie about something, in order to improve their situation. to anyone who may have been siding with that less-than-scrupulous trader, would you really want to trade games with someone like that? i know that lots of people lie all the time, but when it's in my face (or the OP's, or yours), wouldn't you be upset?[/quote]

So what should we do? Should there be a CAG prison where people aren't allowed to post or trade? They'll just come back as a different screen name and start that shit all over again. Leave a neutral feedback and move on. I've had bad days and made an ass of myself with some bad trade requests or bad posts but luckily no one seems to care because everyone makes bad posts or bad trade requests. Remember not to deal with the guy again and move on.

you guys are being silly. and pimpinc, unless you're in your sixties, i don't see any reason to call anyone "son". i'm 5 years your senior, "kiddo". yes, i AM assuming it was a lie. the person in question has done nothing to dissuade me from that opinion. "this is the internet" may be a true statement in reference to the forums, but trades happening between two people is very much "real life". people who take such a casual and uncaring attitude in how they conduct themselves online, or off, are usually wastes of skin and not deserving of anyone's time, yours included. i'm surprised you don't see it that way.

despescal22, i have no idea what we should do. but this thread was created to discuss a deal, and that's what people contributing to it should be doing. the deal details a trade gone sour, i figure a couple people could jump in, give the guy some small support, and try to see things his way. maybe we'd try to see them the other guy's way too, if he felt like posting. he doesn't, and so, he doesn't get support.

i'm sure the OP is going to move on. but he has every right to vent, and maybe it'd be nice to see some people back him up by saying "yeah, that guy was a dirty prick, but there's plenty of nice CAGs to deal with, so don't worry"... rather than "big deal. who cares? get over it"...?

i just can't imagine you guys are really so callous.

[quote name='allyourblood']you guys are being silly. and pimpinc, unless you're in your sixties, i don't see any reason to call anyone "son". i'm 5 years your senior, "kiddo". yes, i AM assuming it was a lie. the person in question has done nothing to dissuade me from that opinion. "this is the internet" may be a true statement in reference to the forums, but trades happening between two people is very much "real life". people who take such a casual and uncaring attitude in how they conduct themselves online, or off, are usually wastes of skin and not deserving of anyone's time, yours included. i'm surprised you don't see it that way.

despescal22, i have no idea what we should do. but this thread was created to discuss a deal, and that's what people contributing to it should be doing. the deal details a trade gone sour, i figure a couple people could jump in, give the guy some small support, and try to see things his way. maybe we'd try to see them the other guy's way too, if he felt like posting. he doesn't, and so, he doesn't get support.

i'm sure the OP is going to move on. but he has every right to vent, and maybe it'd be nice to see some people back him up by saying "yeah, that guy was a dirty prick, but there's plenty of nice CAGs to deal with, so don't worry"... rather than "big deal. who cares? get over it"...?

i just can't imagine you guys are really so callous.[/QUOTE]

I saw a good reason to saw "son". It did just what I thought. Got you worked up a bit. Good Stuff, right?

I say no one should give a fuck about this. Hell, we don't even know who the guy in question is so we can't even hear his/her side of the story.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I saw a good reason to saw "son". It did just what I thought. Got you worked up a bit. Good Stuff, right?

I say no one should give a fuck about this. Hell, we don't even know who the guy in question is so we can't even hear his/her side of the story.[/quote]

worked up? nah. but i was betting on my being older, and i was right! as for not giving a fvck about this, well, if you really didn't care, you wouldn't post, right? or did you just want everyone to know that you didn't care?

i do agree about not being able to hear the other guy's side of the story. that does suck. for him and anyone who might end up sending first to him in a trade. hope it ain't you! ;)

[quote name='king masters']hey does any one know how much trade in vaule bounty hounds for the psp has[/quote]

Not even the appropriate topic for this.

And on topic,

Why isn't this in the trading forums? Are disputes supposed to be posted elsewhere?

[quote name='allyourblood']worked up? nah. but i was betting on my being older, and i was right! as for not giving a fvck about this, well, if you really didn't care, you wouldn't post, right? or did you just want everyone to know that you didn't care?

i do agree about not being able to hear the other guy's side of the story. that does suck. for him and anyone who might end up sending first to him in a trade. hope it ain't you! ;)[/QUOTE]

No it's not me in this case. I usually blow off a ton of PM's. (All which are noobs who PM 5.00 Shipped for GRAW? -or- Something to that extreme ) I don;t think I would ever go that far to set up a deal to blow someone off but if I ever did i would tell them staright up that I didn't want to trade anymore.

Now a quick question. In the OP and your case would itof been fine if the Other trader just came out and said he didn't want to trade? I think it's the whole other trader in question "lying" that made you guys bitter. I could be wrong though.

I saw who the member in question is, and the funny thing is, I have a trade going with him. I'm assuming our trade is his first (he has no feedback), but he isn't a bad trader, really. He sent first, and I received everything fast and in good condition.

And yes, it appears that he still has MPH available on his TL.

[quote name='Supreme']I saw who the member in question is, and the funny thing is, I have a trade going with him. I'm assuming our trade is his first (he has no feedback), but he isn't a bad trader, really. He sent first, and I received everything fast and in good condition.[/QUOTE]

Now we play the waiting game. When he leaves you feedback his secret is exposed! ;)

[quote name='pimpinc333']Now we play the waiting game. When he leaves you feedback his secret is exposed! ;)[/quote]

:lol:

Actually, if you look at the OP's posts, you will notice that he posted in his TL about the game.

[quote name='Supreme']:lol:

Actually, if you look at the OP's posts, you will notice that he posted in his TL about the game.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

Wow, the OP was really mad about that trade.

Still, nothing was official. Its the persons choice if they want to back out of a trade.

[quote name='Supreme']:lol:

Actually, if you look at the OP's posts, you will notice that he posted in his TL about the game.[/QUOTE]

Me know who it is now ;) I rarly like to deal with Bew CAG User's. Unless they send first.

[quote name='pimpinc333']No it's not me in this case. I usually blow off a ton of PM's. I don;t think I would ever go that far to set up a deal to blow someone off but if I ever did i would tell them staright up that I didn't want to trade anymore.

Now a quick question. In the OP and your case would itof been fine if the Other trader just came out and said he didn't want to trade? I think it's the whole other trader in question "lying" that made you guys bitter. I could be wrong though.[/quote]

fair enough. yes, you're right (at least, in my case -- i can't speak for the OP): i don't mind at all that the guy backed out. it happens. i just detest the idea that the guy would come up with a particularly bad-sounding excuse in order to get out of a trade. that's cowardly, if you ask me.

now, to be fair, i do concede the possibility that the "other guy" is telling the truth -- the dog ate the cartridge, he only just found and that's why it's taken 5 days to relay the issue to the OP, and he has just plumb forgotten to remove the item in question from his list, despite the fact that the OP reminded him to do so in his TL and he has since "bumped" the thread. that's A LOT to swallow.

Supreme, i'm very glad to see that the guy is making good on his trade with you. the fact is, he may never be a problem, and every trade going forward may go thru peaches and cream. i just really think he made an ugly mistake and in response to the first post in this thread, i don't think the OP was at all out of line for calling him on it.

thanks for the civil discourse, though. very refreshing.

[quote name='whoknows']:lol:

Wow, the OP was really mad about that trade.

Still, nothing was official. Its the persons choice if they want to back out of a trade.[/quote]
you're absolutely right. still, i think the OP was mostly expressing his frustration with someone feeding him an obvious line, ratherthan trying to get the other guy to come through on the trade. his backing out isn't really the off-pissing part, and the OP never even implied that we expected the guy to honor the proposed deal.

The reason why I think the the whole story didn't add up is because he didn't even bother to contact to say that it happened? The communication happened when i e-mailed him to see what's up. I'd like to think if something like that REALLY happened to an item he was ready to trade, He would have contacted a little more quickly.

Additionally, he was really quick to cancel the trade-- in the same PM even. I'm paraphrasing but, "Whoops, dog ate it, guess we can't trade now, huh." in a single PM just seems kinda shady. There was no recourse for an alternate trade or anything.

If he wanted to back out, that's all he had to say.

No worries though. A couple K-Mart runs and EB/Gamestop additional $10 credits and I ended up getting a copy of Mario Kart for about $12 out of pocket. I'm still working on the Metroid Prime Hunters part.

Since the OP is working through acquiring the games themselves and hasn't disclosed who the other party is, we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back