Trade White Wii plus an extra remote and nunchuck at gamestop get a wii for 49.99

mcdaking84

CAG Newbie
Just talked to a ASM at gamestop the new promo for the trade up to a black wii is

Trade a complete White wii system and extra remote and nunchuck and get a black wii system for 49.99

a complete system consists of:

(console)
(sensor bar)
(AC adapter)
(AV cables)
(Wii nunchuck)
(Wii Mote)
(Console stand)

Last edited by a moderator:
For less than that, you can just buy a black replacement shell off of eBay.

The added bonus is you're not restricted to just one color as a choice.

I love when Gamestop does deals like this. Personally, I'd take advantage of it to trade in a broken Wii, I doubt they'd test to see if it works. Otherwise, there's no reason to do this "deal".

[quote name='therealdeal19']Well... I guess if you want a change of color its worth $50?[/QUOTE]

Not exactly. You need to factor in the extra $60 that the owner spent on the second wiimote and nunchuck. If the deal was a straight up system trade +$50...then that's one thing, but it's the additional controllers ($60 total) that they want as well as the system package.

So, it's really a $110 difference considering after you swapped system colors you would need to re-buy back a second wiimote and nunchuck....and personally if I did all that I'd want black ones to match, but even still you'd have to re-buy them.

[quote name='gldoorii']Not exactly. You need to factor in the extra $60 that the owner spent on the second wiimote and nunchuck. If the deal was a straight up system trade +$50...then that's one thing, but it's the additional controllers ($60 total) that they want as well as the system package.

So, it's really a $110 difference considering after you swapped system colors you would need to re-buy back a second wiimote and nunchuck....and personally if I did all that I'd want black ones to match, but even still you'd have to re-buy them.[/QUOTE]
But is the Black Wii you get the bundle with the black controller w/ Wii Motion Plus and both Wii Sports Resort and Wii Sports? That might even things out.

[quote name='UlysisAM']For less than that, you can just buy a black replacement shell off of eBay.

The added bonus is you're not restricted to just one color as a choice.[/QUOTE]
How difficult is this to do?

[quote name='gldoorii']Not exactly. You need to factor in the extra $60 that the owner spent on the second wiimote and nunchuck. If the deal was a straight up system trade +$50...then that's one thing, but it's the additional controllers ($60 total) that they want as well as the system package.

So, it's really a $110 difference considering after you swapped system colors you would need to re-buy back a second wiimote and nunchuck....and personally if I did all that I'd want black ones to match, but even still you'd have to re-buy them.[/QUOTE]

I was definitely being sarcastic. :p ;)

Does this get you the black system brand new? Because then you should be getting a copy of Wii Sports and WS Resort, along with a Motion plus module. That's not a wholly bad trade, all things considered. If you had your original Wii Sports, you can sell that somewhere, bringing the cost down a small bit more.

But you're also going to lose anything you've downloaded from the Shop (VC games, Wiiware) and a lot of your saves.

So unless you find a system really cheap from Craigslist or don't have anything relevant in your system memory, you're probably better off doing something else.

Definitely not worth it but to be fair to gamestop, it is the console with Wii Sports Resort and motion plus.

You trade: White Wii Console + Extra Controller + Extra Nunchuk = $260 assuming you paid retail prices. ;)

-$260 (trade-in) + -$50 (price you pay) + $200 (cost of black Wii) + -$60 (replacement extra controller & nunchuk) + $50 (Wii Sports Resort in case you didn't already own it) = -$120

Yikes!

You lose $120 if you do this deal. If you already have Wii Sports Resort, then you lose $170 and that does not include tax. And then you might want to factor in all your games and save data stored on your old Wii. Probably be cheaper to just buy a new black Wii from Amazon.

[quote name='rewerbkcirtap']Definitely not worth it but to be fair to gamestop, it is the console with Wii Sports Resort and motion plus.

You trade: White Wii Console + Extra Controller + Extra Nunchuk = $260 assuming you paid retail prices. ;)

-$260 (trade-in) + -$50 (price you pay) + $200 (cost of black Wii) + -$60 (replacement extra controller & nunchuk) + $50 (Wii Sports Resort in case you didn't already own it) = -$120

Yikes!

You lose $120 if you do this deal. If you already have Wii Sports Resort, then you lose $170 and that does not include tax. And then you might want to factor in all your games and save data stored on your old Wii. Probably be cheaper to just buy a new black Wii from Amazon.[/QUOTE]
And don't forget that you lose your Wiiware/VC games as well because its tied to the system.

If they hadn't required the extra controllers and you didn't already have Wii Sports Resort, then you would break even on the deal. Too bad.

[quote name='thehoweller']I love when Gamestop does deals like this. Personally, I'd take advantage of it to trade in a broken Wii, I doubt they'd test to see if it works. Otherwise, there's no reason to do this "deal".[/QUOTE]

I always checked consoles being traded in, as I'm sure practically every other Gamestops out there. Only an idiot store would not check to make sure a console works as they'd be reselling a broken console to a customer and having to deal with fallout from that.

it's bad, but not terrible. $50 goes towards wii sports resort bundle
the deal then, is whether giving up a controller/nunchuk for a new system is worth it.
certainly if you have vc/wiiware content and/or the resort bundle, it's not good at all due to nintendo's stupid transfer policy.

But if you have a launch system, maybe it's starting to heat up, or make noises, one that's taken some wear or otherwise beat, and you want sports resort, giving up a controller and nunchuk for a brand new system isn't terrible.
you could sell your copy of wii sports for about a nunchuk, so then it would be the wiimote you'd eat out of pocket. Which you could easily justify by wanting all the controller to be in black now, if that's your thing.

Well, what does GS give for a remote/nunchuk combo right now? I would imagine it's maybe about $25 total. So you're getting about $125 in credit for the console...not too shabby. I've been picking up a lot of dirt cheap Wii bundles on CL lately, so this might work out for me. We were just talking about the black Wii last night....

wii is coming down on price people, after E3 it will be 150, i cant confirm with evidence right now because i will get in trouble, but why do you think they are giving away free sports resort and wii motion plus? toys r us giving a 50 gift card? just wait a few weeks

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']wii is coming down on price people, after E3 it will be 150, i cant confirm with evidence right now because i will get in trouble, but why do you think they are giving away free sports resort and wii motion plus? toys r us giving a 50 gift card? just wait a few weeks[/QUOTE]

$179 w/ NSMB Wii (today, walmart) sounds like $150 retail w/ no bonuses the next logical drop.

this is not a deal. you're giving up your wii that is working fine plus an extra nunchuk and remote and still have to pay $49.99+tax all just to get the wii new in black color? gtfo with that crap. it's like giving you $120 for the wii and about $30 for the extra remote+nunchuk

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']wii is coming down on price people, after E3 it will be 150, i cant confirm with evidence right now because i will get in trouble, but why do you think they are giving away free sports resort and wii motion plus? toys r us giving a 50 gift card? just wait a few weeks[/QUOTE]

Holy God, this member knows something we don't! He's got priveleged information! Gather a mob, this is important!!! :rofl:

But anyway, this is the biggest load of bullcrap ever. The worst part is that people will actually do this, and gamestop knows that and is gonna rape a ton of wallets on this "deal".

The simplest way to look at it? Assuming you bought the original Wii when it was $250 (like I and many others did, just after launch), after all is said and done you will have spent nearly $390 after tax on a Wii with two Wii Sports games (and WM+). The irony? That's THE EXACT SAME PRICE as a 360 or a PS3, plus one full price retail game.

Thanks for looking out for us, Gamestop! (greedy fucks)

[quote name='unopepito06']Holy God, this member knows something we don't! He's got priveleged information! Gather a mob, this is important!!! :rofl:

But anyway, this is the biggest load of bullcrap ever. The worst part is that people will actually do this, and gamestop knows that and is gonna rape a ton of wallets on this "deal".

The simplest way to look at it? Assuming you bought the original Wii when it was $250 (like I and many others did, just after launch), after all is said and done you will have spent nearly $390 after tax on a Wii with two Wii Sports games (and WM+). The irony? That's THE EXACT SAME PRICE as a 360 or a PS3, plus one full price retail game.

Thanks for looking out for us, Gamestop! (greedy fucks)[/QUOTE]
Note that the PS3 was originally launched at $500, and the Xbox was $400 so your logic doesn't work.

[quote name='thehoweller']I love when Gamestop does deals like this. Personally, I'd take advantage of it to trade in a broken Wii, I doubt they'd test to see if it works. Otherwise, there's no reason to do this "deal".[/QUOTE]

This is slightly tempting to me because my Wii has started to make the loud hairdryer noise... how much is it for a repair? Might be cheaper to trade it in before it goes completely south.

no one got this text from bestbuy today?

RZ Gamer Alert: Price Drop on Nintendo Wii (SKU 8008559) now $179.99 at Best Buy! Details: some url

If you trade in the white wii with accesories, do you get the bundled black wii with motion controller and extra games or no. This wouldnt be a bad thing especially if you have a wii from launch, you never no how long there going to last and then your stuck with a broken console. When is this deal going on.

I would do this instantly on my launch Wii if it wasn't for this:

[quote name='mitnosi']And don't forget that you lose your Wiiware/VC games as well because its tied to the system.[/QUOTE]

I have too much DLC tied up, and no way to transfer it.

But it would be nice to get the black Wii, with a brand new warranty and have brand new controllers.

Actually I called a Nintendo Customer Service rep and they said that you CAN transfer your VC/Wiiware games as they will do it only as a one time courtesy for you. What they need for you to do is call ahead of time "before" trading in your old system and get your serial number from your old console and register that to a Nintendo account online and provide it to them as well. This newly created account should automatically show every single thing you downloaded to your Wii via that serial number. If you don't want to register an account, you will need to remember every game you purchased then. When you reformat the system and trade it in, you will then have to call them back with the new Wii serial number and they will tie that into your existing profile and migrate everything over. They will create a ticket and they will make you delete the new WiiShop profile on that Wii and then transfer your old profile to the new Wii including all games, but you cannot access the internet or download anything until they call you back which will take 24-48 hours. I already did this with their pre-approval and verifying my account information before even considering trading in my old Wii, which is acting up on me.

[quote name='daminion']I would do this instantly on my launch Wii if it wasn't for this:

I have too much DLC tied up, and no way to transfer it.

But it would be nice to get the black Wii, with a brand new warranty and have brand new controllers.[/QUOTE]

This is where Nintendo's archaic online account setup really shows through; I think a ton of really fervent Nintendo fans would kill to swap out their old Wiis for the newer color, as they've been doing this with handhelds for years, but the most ardent fans are also the ones who've likely spent a small fortune on WiiWare and VC games, and that means you're locked out. An account swap is apparently possible, I've heard, though it's only done in repair situations where the old Wii is busted and it has to be done all on Nintendo's end.

The new black color is sexy, though it honestly doesn't matter to me as my Wii is hidden behind the TV anyway.

The 60 gig PS3 model was $599 at launch.

[quote name='style_unseen']Note that the PS3 was originally launched at $500, and the Xbox was $400 so your logic doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tarskidx']Actually I called a Nintendo Customer Service rep and they said that you CAN transfer your VC/Wiiware games as they will do it only as a one time courtesy for you. What they need for you to do is call ahead of time "before" trading in your old system and get your serial number from your old console and register that to a Nintendo account online and provide it to them as well. This newly created account should automatically show every single thing you downloaded to your Wii via that serial number. If you don't want to register an account, you will need to remember every game you purchased then. When you reformat the system and trade it in, you will then have to call them back with the new Wii serial number and they will tie that into your existing profile and migrate everything over. They will create a ticket and they will make you delete the new WiiShop profile on that Wii and then transfer your old profile to the new Wii including all games, but you cannot access the internet or download anything until they call you back which will take 24-48 hours. I already did this with their pre-approval and verifying my account information before even considering trading in my old Wii, which is acting up on me.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, this sounds like a cluster fuck waiting to happen.

[quote name='Tarskidx']Actually I called a Nintendo Customer Service rep and they said that you CAN transfer your VC/Wiiware games as they will do it only as a one time courtesy for you. What they need for you to do is call ahead of time "before" trading in your old system and get your serial number from your old console and register that to a Nintendo account online and provide it to them as well. This newly created account should automatically show every single thing you downloaded to your Wii via that serial number. If you don't want to register an account, you will need to remember every game you purchased then. When you reformat the system and trade it in, you will then have to call them back with the new Wii serial number and they will tie that into your existing profile and migrate everything over. They will create a ticket and they will make you delete the new WiiShop profile on that Wii and then transfer your old profile to the new Wii including all games, but you cannot access the internet or download anything until they call you back which will take 24-48 hours. I already did this with their pre-approval and verifying my account information before even considering trading in my old Wii, which is acting up on me.[/QUOTE]

This would be great (or at least good) if true. I mean, it's terrible, but at least there is a way to do it. Better then nothing. If this is verified as true, we need a stickied thread in the Wii forums about it, I think.

Given that its a new Wii and probably Wii Sports Resort (if you don't already have it)...it didn't sound like a bad deal...

Until you guys reminded me about the game saves, VC/Wiiware issue, and extra Wii remote. Ughhh, no thank you!

I know at least two people who have been burned by this in the repair process and ended up losing everything...took weeks/months to sort it out with N customer service. You do not want to go down this path if you don't have to. I recommend against stickying or otherwise promoting this.

It is true because I did set up my call through their customer service rep and you need to call and explain exactly what you are trying to do. I was reluctant to do this as well even with the fact that my white Wii was on its last legs. It did sound confusing and I had to ask them to explain a couple of times to verify. They asked me if I ever did this before and I said no and they said that they can do it then as a 1 time exception.

I had to get my serial number off of my old system and call them back with the new one as well for security purposes. They will then need need 24-48 hours to transfer/link my old account to my new one and will call me after it has been done.

NO saved games will work on my SD card and I will have to redownload everything all over again and only my saved data from the SD card will work.

To me it is worth it, not just because my old Wii is probably going to die, but this new color will go good in my living room as it matches my entertainment system and my other black systems.

I will be CAG guinea pig and update you on my progress to let you know how pain free or painful this will be. If what Daminion says is true, I could be without over 100 downloaded VC and Wiiware games for a very long time, but I did get the service rep's name and ID so there will be hell to pay if they drop the ball.

The way I look at it right now is this.

I have had my wii for 3 years now and have played the shit out of it.
i know that nintendo systems have historically lasted for ever for me (still have my NES and Snes working), however new systems with their fancy lasers and everything have a much more limited shelf life....

So 50 bucks for a new system now or 200 for a new system now of 180 for one next year?

[quote name='backseatdog']if anyone wants i'll paint their wii black for $25[/QUOTE]

I Shall do the same for a mere sum of $10.

Anyway, the deal isnt bad if you find a way to take advantage of it. Personally, Black wii looks very good.

[quote name='imacjenn']This is slightly tempting to me because my Wii has started to make the loud hairdryer noise... how much is it for a repair? Might be cheaper to trade it in before it goes completely south.[/QUOTE]

Before all of you people get your panties in a bundle with the OMG - GS is the #$%^$$!!! You need to know that it's $75 to repair a Wii that's doing what you describe. They swap out the DVD...errr...OPTICAL drive and vacuum out the works). The turnaround time is 7-10 working days. Don't know what the warranty would be, but typical would be 90 days - and your Wii would still be 3 years old.

This "deal" costs $50 and includes a trade-able game ($10-15 in credit depending on bonuses) and an extra Wii-motion plus ($20 new) that they don't require with the used trade-in. And if it's confirmed, you get the one time exemption to transfer your data in 24-48hrs. And you get a new Wii with a 1 year warranty.

Begins to not sound like such a bad deal after all...

bread's done
Back