Trade White Wii plus an extra remote and nunchuck at gamestop get a wii for 49.99

mcdaking84

CAG Newbie
Just talked to a ASM at gamestop the new promo for the trade up to a black wii is

Trade a complete White wii system and extra remote and nunchuck and get a black wii system for 49.99

a complete system consists of:

(console)
(sensor bar)
(AC adapter)
(AV cables)
(Wii nunchuck)
(Wii Mote)
(Console stand)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='akiefer']Before all of you people get your panties in a bundle with the OMG - GS is the #$%^$$!!! You need to know that it's $75 to repair a Wii that's doing what you describe. They swap out the DVD...errr...OPTICAL drive and vacuum out the works). The turnaround time is 7-10 working days. Don't know what the warranty would be, but typical would be 90 days - and your Wii would still be 3 years old.

This "deal" costs $50 and includes a trade-able game ($10-15 in credit depending on bonuses) and an extra Wii-motion plus ($20 new) that they don't require with the used trade-in. And if it's confirmed, you get the one time exemption to transfer your data in 24-48hrs. And you get a new Wii with a 1 year warranty.

Begins to not sound like such a bad deal after all...[/QUOTE]

Actually 2 games you can trade as Wii Sports alone gets you $7 ($5 before 40%) right now and Sports Resort is $12.25 ($8.75 before 40%).

I don't think anyone would sell back the Wii motion plus, but if they do, that is another $10 so you are looking at $29.25 back to you which only makes it a $20.75 difference for a brand new warranty and the color of your choice and you will get to keep all of your downloadable games still.

[quote name='fyrflash1969']Just pimp your Wii for 15$.. http://www.decalgirl.com/item.view/6027[/QUOTE]

I bought one of those skins that was all black and it did not work out too good for me. The skins didn't overlap and I could see white around the seams. Maybe I put it on wrong but I just ending up taking it off and throwing it away.

[quote name='mcdaking84']Just talked to a ASM at gamestop the new promo for the trade up to a black wii is

Trade a complete White wii system and extra remote and nunchuck and get a black wii system for 49.99

a complete system consists of:

(console)
(sensor bar)
(AC adapter)
(AV cables)
(Wii nunchuck)
(Wii Mote)
(Console stand)[/QUOTE]

I love Game stop!!! :applause: Not every store has the :censored: to tell their clients, give me $50, an additional control and additional nunchuck and well give you the same system back less your $50 + accessories in a different color.
When I get board of the white Wii, ill take the plate off and hit the spray can!

[quote name='akiefer']Before all of you people get your panties in a bundle with the OMG - GS is the #$%^$$!!! You need to know that it's $75 to repair a Wii that's doing what you describe. They swap out the DVD...errr...OPTICAL drive and vacuum out the works). The turnaround time is 7-10 working days. Don't know what the warranty would be, but typical would be 90 days - and your Wii would still be 3 years old.

This "deal" costs $50 and includes a trade-able game ($10-15 in credit depending on bonuses) and an extra Wii-motion plus ($20 new) that they don't require with the used trade-in. And if it's confirmed, you get the one time exemption to transfer your data in 24-48hrs. And you get a new Wii with a 1 year warranty.

Begins to not sound like such a bad deal after all...[/QUOTE]

If you have Nintendo do the repair, you get a 1-year warranty.

[quote name='Brother Daz']How difficult is this to do?[/QUOTE]

It's not terribly hard, you just have to really pay attention and hope the case was molded properly because it's a REALLY right fit since it's not the official one. The screws are very little as well and there's a bunch of ribbons you have to be careful not to break.

I did this to my Wii: (Not my YouTube video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpyf5FAJMLE

This thing has a jillion screws though. I think I had 3-5 leftover when I put it back together. It was De Ja Vu of the GameCube when I did it. I said screw it at that point since I was tired of rotating my forearm. Oh yea I believe you need the Tri-Wing screwdriver as well.

All in all it was more trouble than it's worth and now my Wii looks like it belongs at a rave. Also the official black case probably looks better than any of the cheaper black ones you can find on eBay.

This really isn't that bad IMO. I wouldn't consider it a "deal", but rather a decent offer for those wanting a shiny new system in a different color.

Considering I have a launch Wii that has seen better days, I just might do this. Both of my Wiimotes have also accumulated a good amount of dead skin in the cracks, and one of them has sticky buttons whenever it's first used after a long period of non use (but goes away in a few minutes). My nunchuck analogs have this ugly yellow stain on the top just from being used too. Considering everything in the black Wii bundle would be brand new, plus I would be getting WSR and MP (which I wanted anyway), I'm strongly considering this. The only thing possibly stopping me are my VC games and spare points, but half of that I got for free during the Pepsi promotion last summer anyway...

Also, this isn't nearly as bad as those awful DS "trade-ups" whenever a new model comes out.

[quote name='Jack']If you have Nintendo do the repair, you get a 1-year warranty.[/QUOTE]

But I'm sure that's only on the part they replace, right? Something else goes wrong and there goes another $75... :cry:

[quote name='mitnosi']And don't forget that you lose your Wiiware/VC games as well because its tied to the system.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Distrato']Already bought Cave Story, I can't/don't want to sell my Wii now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='daminion']I would do this instantly on my launch Wii if it wasn't for this:

I have too much DLC tied up, and no way to transfer it.

But it would be nice to get the black Wii, with a brand new warranty and have brand new controllers.[/QUOTE]
THIS! This is why I was always so burned up about Nintendo's lack of storage solution (SD cards don't fucking count) and retard method of online accounts tied with systems.

I couldn't afford to have to restart Monster Hunter or lose all of my VC/WW games.
[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Until it starts yellowing...[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure that's grey consoles. I've seen a ton of NES and SNES go yellow, but the Dreamcast only go grey and black from dirt and dust.

Well, I preordered this against my better judgement. Losing that extra wiimote and nunchuck really sours the deal. I already have Sports resort, an extra MotionPlus, and of course Wii Sports that I can trade in so that should help offset the cost. They are just going to be reselling the wiimote and nunchuck as used, right? I wonder if they would let me rebuy my own stuff right away. :p

I don't have anything downloaded on the Wii.... I have a few saves that hopefully I can transfer but nothing majorly important. What is important, is that my Wii is starting to sound really loud - loud enough that I can hear it over the tv at decent volume and over the sound of the fish tank that's in the same room. So I think it's really on its way out. Once it starts making a loud noise like that, that is what it means, right? I haven't used it all that much but it is pretty old...not a launch day console, but about 3-4 months after launch. If it makes that noise, but still works - haven't had a game error to this point - will they still take it without charging a refurb fee, or whatever it's called? hmmmm

I'm actually going to do this, i think the fan in my console is messed up it is constantly really loud and buzzes hard, and since i dont have wii resort that itself is $50, pluss if you get a new wii you get 25% of some wii games with another deal, this actually appeals to someone like me since the wii is kinda messed up : - )

If I had an extra wii remote/nunchuck, I'd probably trade mine in, but, I don't. Right now I have the black preordered with amazon and am just trying to unload my white wii, without much luck.

FYI - for those looking into this deal because of the condition of their current system, they will also have a white package deal identical to the black one...if you wanted to trade but didn't want black.

Having said that, if your system is on its way out, or already dead, this seems like an even deal. Not great, but if you look at the values of what everything would trade in for separately, it comes to about $125-$150 for trading in a system and two remotes + two nunchucks:

Hardware
System - $80
(4/19/10)
Console Refurb Fees (Amount deducted when console is marked as defective)
Wii System - $25
(4/14/10)

Accessories
Nunchuk - $7.25 (3/27/10)
Wiimote - $13.50
(3/27/10)
Wii Motion Plus - $10 (4/19/10)

But I ask again - do they consider a Wii that is loud as defective, and will they charge a $25 refurb fee - or is it considered okay if the system is still working/reading discs fine?

actually not a bad deal, don't know why people are ragging on it
i don't have wii sports anymore, sold it for $30 a couple months back and you get wii sports resort and a a wii motion plus.
i'm seriously considering doing this.

My total ended up being $64.xx because they said I have to pay the tax on the $199.99 MSRP, not the $49.99, which would be $54.xx. Even one of the employees said that's what I would be paying before it somehow came out to $64.xx. Anyone else have this issue?

I was already late (spent nearly a half hour there on my lunch break, as the employees could not figure out how to ring the promo up, among various other reasons -__-), so I didn't bother inquiring on the matter. Considering the promo advertises as $49.99, the sales tax should be on said price, right?

Receipt:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/cyra/gswiireceipt.jpg

hmmm...I dunno. Oregon doesn't have sales tax. I was going to take mine in tomorrow or Sunday (they said they wouldn't have them in stock until Sunday?)

Sidenote - when and why did the original Wii Sports disc start selling for $30+???

Here is my update as promised with the transfer of the Virtual/Wiiware profile to the new black Wii. It is a headache and did not work like they said it would!!! I repeat it did not work like I was told it would!!!! I was on the phone for several hours today with Nintendo and customer support/supervisors. I told them that the guy from customer service GUARANTEED that I could do this before I turned in my system and fought with them tooth and nail about this. They said the rep had NO BUSINESS promising this to me as that is not their business model. They have and will always continue to support their policy of the profile being tied to that specific system. I argued about a possible lawsuit for misleading the consumer as I was approved to do this before I traded in my white console. Seeing that the mistake is 100% on their end with that phone call recorded and their employee misinforming the consumer, they decided that they will do this as a one time courtesy, but I have several steps that need to take place. I had to stop GS from selling my old system (thankfully they did not do it) and prevent them from deleting my old Wii Shop account on that system or I would lose EVERYTHING. I will now have to mail my new system in for them to do the manual profile transfer in the office then wait for it to be shipped back. In other words, DO NOT DO THIS if you don't want to lose your bought Wiiware and VC games as the customer service reps do not know what they are talking about.

[quote name='Tarskidx'] I will now have to mail my new system in for them to do the manual profile transfer in the office then wait for it to be shipped back. In other words, DO NOT DO THIS if you don't want to lose your bought Wiiware and VC games as the customer service reps do not know what they are talking about.[/QUOTE]

This sounds accurate as far as how Nintendo's transfer process works. I remember there was an article about a guy getting a replacement Wii taking it to the Redmond repair shop, and they transferred all of his purchases to a new Wii. That is unfortunately the only way to transfer your purchases.

Nintendo really needs to up its game on the online infrastructure side of things especially if they're calling Apple the "enemy." Xbox Live and PSN are already beating Nintendo in that area.

[quote name='Tarskidx']Here is my update as promised with the transfer of the Virtual/Wiiware profile to the new black Wii. It is a headache and did not work like they said it would!!! I repeat it did not work like I was told it would!!!! I was on the phone for several hours today with Nintendo and customer support/supervisors. I told them that the guy from customer service GUARANTEED that I could do this before I turned in my system and fought with them tooth and nail about this. They said the rep had NO BUSINESS promising this to me as that is not their business model. They have and will always continue to support their policy of the profile being tied to that specific system. I argued about a possible lawsuit for misleading the consumer as I was approved to do this before I traded in my white console. Seeing that the mistake is 100% on their end with that phone call recorded and their employee misinforming the consumer, they decided that they will do this as a one time courtesy, but I have several steps that need to take place. I had to stop GS from selling my old system (thankfully they did not do it) and prevent them from deleting my old Wii Shop account on that system or I would lose EVERYTHING. I will now have to mail my new system in for them to do the manual profile transfer in the office then wait for it to be shipped back. In other words, DO NOT DO THIS if you don't want to lose your bought Wiiware and VC games as the customer service reps do not know what they are talking about.[/QUOTE]
Damn Nintendo sucks.

I'm am not sending two systems to Nintendo to have to do this.

[quote name='Haowuliao']My total ended up being $64.xx because they said I have to pay the tax on the $199.99 MSRP, not the $49.99, which would be $54.xx. Even one of the employees said that's what I would be paying before it somehow came out to $64.xx. Anyone else have this issue?

I was already late (spent nearly a half hour there on my lunch break, as the employees could not figure out how to ring the promo up, among various other reasons -__-), so I didn't bother inquiring on the matter. Considering the promo advertises as $49.99, the sales tax should be on said price, right?

Receipt:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/cyra/gswiireceipt.jpg[/QUOTE]

That doesn't sound right at all. With Tax mine came out to $54.xx or something like that and I live in AZ. I honestly think they screwed you somehow.

[quote name='Pck21']That doesn't sound right at all. With Tax mine came out to $54.xx or something like that and I live in AZ. I honestly think they screwed you somehow.[/QUOTE]

Could his tax be that they did a price override?

[quote name='acsguitar']Hmm trade in a non locked down wii for a locked down wii no thanks.[/QUOTE]

You keep your Wii in a lock box? Man you must have terrible crime issues in your neighborhood.

[quote name='rjbooth']Could his tax be that they did a price override?[/QUOTE]

I don't think they can increase the price on an override. I'm guessing the GS people put the traded in Wii incorrectly by just giving him $150 credit.

[quote name='Haowuliao']My total ended up being $64.xx because they said I have to pay the tax on the $199.99 MSRP, not the $49.99, which would be $54.xx. Even one of the employees said that's what I would be paying before it somehow came out to $64.xx. Anyone else have this issue?

Receipt:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/cyra/gswiireceipt.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's the way things *usually* work, especially with GS trade-in deals. At most stores, your purchase is treated just like a regular buy, but instead of paying the entire thing in cash (check/credit/debit) you are given a credit by the store. Essentially, the store is paying part of the cost. As far as the state (locality/city/county) is concerned, the original cost is what was paid; doesnt matter to them who paid it.

pck21 said:
That doesn't sound right at all. With Tax mine came out to $54.xx or something like that and I live in AZ. I honestly think they screwed you somehow.

Maybe your tax rates are different. It's quite customary to pay tax on the original purchase price in these instances.

bread's done
Back