Traded in my PS3 @ EB / GS

nixts

CAGiversary!
I'm not about to bash the system, I think it will be great when there's enough software available. Considering I already have a Samsung BR player, I can't justify keeping mine any longer. I was going to hold out for VF, but considering that game is now coming to the 360, I can wait a little longer.

Now, for the reason I made this thread, the EB rep mentioned something interesting about the PS3 trade-in. For reference, I sold my 60 GIG w/ 1 game. I received $500 store credit for the system and $36.00 for Resistance. The EB rep said the systems are not resold through their normal used games retail / online channel. Rather, EB / GS is shipping back all used units directly to Sony. Can anyone who works for the chain confirm this? The salesperson did not know why or how much Sony bought them from EB / GS per unit, but why would Sony be gobbling up all used units from such a larger retailer?

can't answer yer question, but wow, $500? that's pretty decent. probably just a little less than what you'd get on ebay in cash.

maybe Sony set up a deal to buy them as a way to not lose $$$ to the resale.

Chances are Sony does not want their system seen in stores used. Makes sense, somewhat, that the company wouldn't want to look like people are giving up on the console so soon.

nixts, thanks for the info - I added the 60GB trade-in price to the CAG wiki. On Resistance, was that $36 after Edge card? In the wiki, the price for that is shown as only $30 back on Jan 2nd. Unless they gave you some extra bonus, that would only make it $33 with Edge. Did you get a 20% bump for some reason? Or is the $36 now the price without any boost? Just want to know before I put it in there! (I want to put in the price before any Edge or other promo increase).

That is an amazing price though on the system. I need to xfer about that much credit from GR to EB and if my GR had any PS3's I might just consider doing it this way. I mean, by literally buying a PS3 and taking it down to EB/GS and trading it in without even opening it :rofl:. I'd only lose $100 of credit but since the credit only cost me $250 or so to get in the first place that's not too bad, and I could transfer it all without much effort (as opposed to trying to find used games that trade near what they cost at GR, which is difficult and can only be done in small amounts). Then I could get all the Wii and DS releases for the rest of this year that I had hoped to get from GR ON TIME and guaranteed (as opposed to GR which is always late and sometimes never).

I do believe they send the console back because it can't be used without a HDD and GS/EB refuse to sell the HDD unless it's been cleared. It's why 360's are all sold without their hdd when used at those stores.

I first I thought Sony would sell them in a reburb store (like they do with Vaio PCs), but they may use them as kiosk in the future (in the PlayStation truck, stores, etc.). If someone trades in a perfectly good working PS3 and if they are giving out $500, that's over $300 cheaper than manufacturing a new PS3 to use.

They get sent back to the warehouse where they are supposed to clear the hard drive and send it back to the store. As far as them sending it off to Sony, I haven't heard of anything (I work at a Gamestop store too). There is a refurbished SKU in the computer for the PS3, so either way, it may go back to Sony to be cleared, but Gamestop gets it back and can resell it.

Gamestop still does sell used hard drives for the 360, we just haven't had any in lately.

[quote name='io']nixts, thanks for the info - I added the 60GB trade-in price to the CAG wiki. On Resistance, was that $36 after Edge card? In the wiki, the price for that is shown as only $30 back on Jan 2nd. Unless they gave you some extra bonus, that would only make it $33 with Edge. Did you get a 20% bump for some reason? Or is the $36 now the price without any boost? Just want to know before I put it in there! (I want to put in the price before any Edge or other promo increase).

That is an amazing price though on the system. I need to xfer about that much credit from GR to EB and if my GR had any PS3's I might just consider doing it this way. I mean, by literally buying a PS3 and taking it down to EB/GS and trading it in without even opening it :rofl:. I'd only lose $100 of credit but since the credit only cost me $250 or so to get in the first place that's not too bad, and I could transfer it all without much effort (as opposed to trying to find used games that trade near what they cost at GR, which is difficult and can only be done in small amounts). Then I could get all the Wii and DS releases for the rest of this year that I had hoped to get from GR ON TIME and guaranteed (as opposed to GR which is always late and sometimes never).[/QUOTE]

You're correct, Resistance is normally $30 trade-in credit. However, the store rep gave me a bonus 10% coupon. Not only did I use my Edge card, they scanned in a Game Informer coupon (which they had at the desk) which gave me the bonus discount.

For reference, maybe allout knows more about this promotion -- on my receipt it says;

Bonus $3.00 -- PROMO #1293
Disc $3.00 -- GMR 10%

I can take a pic of it if necessary.

Evidently Edge doesn't work for console trade-ins, so $500.00 was the straight credit value on the 60 GB. Losing $100 in credit kinda sucks, but your PS3 trade-in idea sounds like a good route considering the current value.

[quote name='nixts']You're correct, Resistance is normally $30 trade-in credit. However, the store rep gave me a bonus 10% coupon. Not only did I use my Edge card, they scanned in a Game Informer coupon (which they had at the desk) which gave me the bonus discount.

For reference, maybe allout knows more about this promotion -- on my receipt it says;

Bonus $3.00 -- PROMO #1293
Disc $3.00 -- GMR 10%

I can take a pic of it if necessary.

Evidently Edge doesn't work for console trade-ins, so $500.00 was the straight credit value on the 60 GB. Losing $100 in credit kinda sucks, but your PS3 trade-in idea sounds like a good route considering the current value.[/quote]

The PROMO #1293 is the coupon adding the 10%.
The GMR 10% is your Edge card.

And you are correct, the card doesn't apply to consoles, only on games, accessories, & DVDs (all of the above being used if being purchased).

bread's done
Back