Trading classics for Crap ?

dutch72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
I was at a game store today and a guy brought In Star Ocean 2 and Grandia both mint and complete to get store credit for around 20.00 so he could buy the new Grand Theft Auto or another new game. Am I the only one who can't understand the mentality of people like that Or am I just a rare breed of gamer that refuses to let go of the classics ?

I have that problem, GTA is probably worth about the same as those 2 games but in 2 years GTA will be $20 and those 2 will be worth a bit more.

Oh you didn't happen to see what the store was going to charge for those did you? I could use a mint Star Ocean 2 copy.

I do as a matter of fact I paid 75.00 for the both of them..and Exactly these 2 games will only go up and GTA will only go down Its a proven fact

do what i do
offer him 21 cash
how can they refuse an extra dollar
i stalk game stores like vicious hungry persian squirrel

[quote name='dutch72']I was at a game store today and a guy brought In Star Ocean 2 and Grandia both mint and complete to get store credit for around 20.00 so he could buy the new Grand Theft Auto or another new game. Am I the only one who can't understand the mentality of people like that Or am I just a rare breed of gamer that refuses to let go of the classics ?[/quote]

Most people are shortsighted and don't realize that what they have, though not *NEW*, is usually better than what they might get by trading in. I saw someone trade in around 10 SNES games(including Super Metroid) earlier this year @ EB for about $12 store credit, just so they could get Madden 2005 cheaper. [-X

I picked up MVC2 from a guy for $15, 'cause Game Crazy was only going to give him 10. Whatever works, I guess.

I have found myself trading in many more games lately, but they are usually this gen's games, which I figure won't be worth much in the future. Trading in is so much faster and more hassle free than selling on Ebay or here on CAG... although if it is a better title, I try to sell it first.
My interest in games has been waning as of late except for multiplayer with friends/roommates. This easy out allows for a quick return in the way of a discount on my next purchase. As far as classics go though... none of my N64 games or NES games (or systems) have left my collection. For what they sell for, their sentimental value and occasional replay value pay for themselves.

I have stopped trading in games altogether. Unless it's some worthwhile trade-in deal (like the trade 4 select titles and get 2 free GH/PH/PC games at EB awhile back) then I usually don't go for it anymore cause it just isn't worth it. I try to buy games that I wouldn't want to trade in anyways except for sports games, for which I admit to being a sucker.

[quote name='cag1000']do what i do
offer him 21 cash
how can they refuse an extra dollar
i stalk game stores like vicious hungry persian squirrel[/quote]

I tried this at a store except I was offered money for a game that Gamecrazy wasn't giving me enough for. I don't know if it's true or not but the girl working there said not only could she ban me for selling in store but also that it was illegal. Who knows. I told the kid to follow me out of the store so I could sell him Castlevania (NES) for $2 but I guess he thought I was a pedaphile and refused. And I was just trying to give him a deal. :wink:

LoL. That's a funny story about the kid and the $2. I've bought games and systems from people in game stores before. Gave em' the cash right there. And, the store employees didn't seem to have a problem with it. I got me an $80 PS2 one time.

[quote name='dutch72']I was at a game store today and a guy brought In Star Ocean 2 and Grandia both mint and complete to get store credit for around 20.00 so he could buy the new Grand Theft Auto or another new game. Am I the only one who can't understand the mentality of people like that Or am I just a rare breed of gamer that refuses to let go of the classics ?[/quote]

He was probably done with them and got tired of them sitting on his shelf so he traded them in to knock off the price of a new game. In the case of those two games, I'd do the same thing.

I used to trade in games to Funcoland, but the last time I did that was about when I was 10 or 12 years old. I learned my lesson. Now I only buy games I know I will keep. No crap or hyped games. Everytime I buy a new game I ask myself will I want to play it again in 5 or 10 years? if the answer is no, I don't buy it. Simple as that.

My Playstation 2 Collection is all of about 5 games.
My Playstation Collection is 7 games
My Nintendo Collection is large and growing.

[quote name='dutch72']I do as a matter of fact I paid 75.00 for the both of them..and Exactly these 2 games will only go up and GTA will only go down Its a proven fact[/quote]

Investing in games is a sucker's bet anyway. If you buy a game for $30 and 10 years later it's worth $60 that's not really any profit worth your time, unless you have like a hundred copies or something, but then you have to store them for 10 years.

I am a sucker for classic games. I've never traded in a game to a game store in my life. Back when they did the trade five games and your old PS2 for the new PSTwo, I gave them five Jampacks! But, I'd like to think my collection is filled with very good games, and only a few stiinkers...

Don't even get me started I live next door to a game crazy store and the things I've seen!!! Ok so this kid brings in these games for trade
1. chrono trigger - snes
2. super empire strikes back - snes
3. wario woods - snes
4. mega man X - snes
5. mega man 1-6 - nes
6. zelda - gold cart - nes

and you know what they gave him for trade value only $15.00 and he took it!!!
I thought I was going to ave a heartAttack! The chrono trigger alone is worth more than that!

[quote name='AndrewUIS420']Mega Man 1-6 would sell on Ebay for prolly 80-100 and Chrono Trigger would go for like 45-50[/quote]I know for real, sometimes I wish I worked at a game trade store ya know what I mean!!!??? :twisted:

[quote name='NesHavok']Don't even get me started I live next door to a game crazy store and the things I've seen!!! Ok so this kid brings in these games for trade
1. chrono trigger - snes
3. wario woods - snes
4. mega man X - snes
5. mega man 1-6 - nes

I thought I was going to ave a heartAttack! The chrono trigger alone is worth more than that![/quote]

Did you not have an opportunity to stop him? Game stores have the right to do it, but they are just completely ripping people off by buying that low and then selling for ebay prices or more. I guess taking advantage of unknowing consumers is big business these days.

[quote name='onikage'][quote name='NesHavok']Don't even get me started I live next door to a game crazy store and the things I've seen!!! Ok so this kid brings in these games for trade
1. chrono trigger - snes
3. wario woods - snes
4. mega man X - snes
5. mega man 1-6 - nes

I thought I was going to ave a heartAttack! The chrono trigger alone is worth more than that![/quote]

Did you not have an opportunity to stop him? Game stores have the right to do it, but they are just completely ripping people off by buying that low and then selling for ebay prices or more. I guess taking advantage of unknowing consumers is big business these days.[/quote]

Well as much as I hate it that's where the profit is for many of these stores. I mean you sell GTA SA and you make $10, but you buy it back for $25 then resell it for $45 and this time you make $25. The stores have become so dependant on this gouging that without it BB and Wal-mart would probably run them into the ground.

Oh and I just got a complete Star Ocean 2 for $7.50 at a tiny game store!

[quote name='onikage'][quote name='dutch72']I was at a game store today and a guy brought In Star Ocean 2 and Grandia both mint and complete to get store credit for around 20.00 so he could buy the new Grand Theft Auto or another new game. Am I the only one who can't understand the mentality of people like that Or am I just a rare breed of gamer that refuses to let go of the classics ?[/quote]

Most people are shortsighted and don't realize that what they have, though not *NEW*, is usually better than what they might get by trading in. I saw someone trade in around 10 SNES games(including Super Metroid) earlier this year @ EB for about $12 store credit, just so they could get Madden 2005 cheaper. [-X[/quote]

Even better, I find SNES games at Goodwill . . . how they've been so carelessly let go is beyond me.

Bought Rock n Roll Racing and Super Bomberman for $2 each and sold each for a $20 profit :shock: . . . $40 gets me alot of cheapass games (like 8 during the CC glitch a month ago). :rofl:

I saw someone trade in around 10 SNES games(including Super Metroid) earlier this year @ EB for about $12 store credit, just so they could get Madden 2005 cheaper.

But he was trying to get MADDEN man! That's worth it right?!?!

You didn't expect him to know the value of good gaming did you?

[quote name='NesHavok'][quote name='AndrewUIS420']Mega Man 1-6 would sell on Ebay for prolly 80-100 and Chrono Trigger would go for like 45-50[/quote]I know for real, sometimes I wish I worked at a game trade store ya know what I mean!!!??? :twisted:[/quote]

Exactly, I wouldn't have given the kid $15 out of my own pocket and sold them online later (since I already have all those games)

[quote name='onikage'][quote name='NesHavok']Don't even get me started I live next door to a game crazy store and the things I've seen!!! Ok so this kid brings in these games for trade
1. chrono trigger - snes
3. wario woods - snes
4. mega man X - snes
5. mega man 1-6 - nes

Did you not have an opportunity to stop him? Game stores have the right to do it, but they are just completely ripping people off by buying that low and then selling for ebay prices or more. I guess taking advantage of unknowing consumers is big business these days.[/quote]

If I saw that, depending on my mood at the time, I'd probably have a hard time not screaming "NOoooo!!!!", before realizing what I was doing. I'm sure some employees would have a problem with that, but I also know some (the good ones) who would admit that it wasn't a very good deal for the customer. There is no need to kibitz the smaller deals, telling a customer "Don't buy that here, it is $2 cheaper across the street", but in a situation that is so obviously one-sided, telling the customer that they are being offered 10% of the value can actually earn a customer-for-life.

Yes, there are many game players, not gamers, that trade in this older classics. Most of the time, the condition of the games they trade are unacceptable to the collector. But in rare instances, such as you described, they are in mint condition.

About a month ago, some idiot traded in about 15 PSX games in mint condition at my local EB. I frequent this particular EB and the employees there know I'm interested in the 'old stuff'. I bought every game I didn't currently own. Six, if I remember correctly. Two that I remember leaving there were Suikoden and FF VII, both in absolutely mint condition. They have since been purchased, and hopefully made it to a good home.

Its sad to see the unknowing trading in these games. But its also good that the games will have a chance to reach an audience that can appreciate them for what they are.

I used to trade in newer generation games quite frequently, when trade values were semi-honest. Now that this is no longer the case, I very rarely trade in games. I actually find myself now collecting many of the games I traded, that I should never, ever have traded. I still have a few more to recover.

bread's done
Back