Trading Comics

MrSneis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Way back in my prime (i.e. when I was 10 years old!) I was way into comics and trading cards etc. as any aspiring nerd should be. One of the great things about being a kid is that you have friends to trade with; "Hey I'll trade you X for Y."

Well, fastforward about 15 years into the Intranets age and I'm still a nerd (reading comics), BUT I've lost all my friends (sad face).

I've got some random titles that I didn't really care for, accidentally bought 2 of etc. and would gladly sell or trade them. Via ebay books are near worthless, epecially after shipping and locally is the same story ~ most stores don't even take comics as trade credit!

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to go for stuff like this? Thanks in advance!

Just a little off topic, but isnt the value of comics pretty worthless nowadays? I remember when I used to collect when I was a kid and there were prices on comics that just kept going up, fastfoward about 10-15 years and anything that used to be of any value can be had for under $10 nowadays. The only things worth anything are comics that have been made into movies (which quickly go back down after the hype dies) or come from like the silver or golden age. Anyway, my point is, is there any point in trying to sell for a profit?

You could send me a list if you want. The thing is about having random comics is that it helps to have a run of something that somebody wants (For instance I was looking for some WildC.A.T.s 1st edition comics, and Grico had a run from 1-10 so it made it worthwhile to pick up a few of his oddball titles as well.)

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']You could send me a list if you want. The thing is about having random comics is that it helps to have a run of something that somebody wants (For instance I was looking for some WildC.A.T.s 1st edition comics, and Grico had a run from 1-10 so it made it worthwhile to pick up a few of his oddball titles as well.)[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the original Jim Lee WildCats? Wow, I havent seen those in forever, does the 2nd issue with the coupon still go for anything? I remember when a number of image comics were valuable with that mail in coupon (spawn #4, wildcats #2 and a few others I think).

The original Image comics aren't worth the paper they're printed on. The only ones with any value are a few from Spawn 1-10, like 1 and the issues with Angela, Cerebus and the Frank Miller issue. Those can't be reprinted (except 1) so they have a little value.

What ruined comics was the same thing that ruined trading cards-speculators trying to make a buck by buying up tons of issues, then the comic companies releasing tons of "special editions" geared towards all the speculators. I can remember with trading cards, everyone in the late 80s and early 90s was putting away hundreds of cards for a particular player because "it'll pay for my kid's college." Those cards are all worthless now, much as all the comics those people hoarded. Same thing goes for the toy collecting craze of the late 90s/early 2000s.

The only thing that will retain any value are the older things that are of limited quantities. That being said, it would be cool if people could get some comic trading going on here, not for value but just for fun.

[quote name='neocisco']The original Image comics aren't worth the paper they're printed on. The only ones with any value are a few from Spawn 1-10, like 1 and the issues with Angela, Cerebus and the Frank Miller issue. Those can't be reprinted (except 1) so they have a little value.[/QUOTE]

Nice to know that the Spawns I collected are worth slightly more than nothing. FYI the Cerberus issue was the best. Kinda depressing though if you consider Wildstorm was sold to DC. Cest la vie.

Comic value has dropped sharply lately... Nowadays, you can go on Ebay and get a lot of 30-50 comics and pay more for shipping than for the actual auction...

[quote name='tankass']Are you talking about the original Jim Lee WildCats? Wow, I havent seen those in forever, does the 2nd issue with the coupon still go for anything? I remember when a number of image comics were valuable with that mail in coupon (spawn #4, wildcats #2 and a few others I think).[/QUOTE]

Yep. What happened was I picked up a few of the later issues at a flea market close-out (for 10 cents apiece) and that rekindled my interest (I remembered the Saturday morning cartoon you see). The trouble with some of this stuff though is that it's hard to find complete minty runs for sale (being that many of them have bargain bin wear by now) and then there's going to the comic shop where they want to charge you 80 cents / $1 apiece and you can't even find what you want.

I am happy though that I found a complete minty run of "Shatter" comics by First--those are another entry from the ten cent box but I was very pleased to get a run of all 15 for $8 shipped or so. I think dealers have a hell of a time trying to sell these because nobody has every heard of them; but as the first comic to use experimental computer graphics goes, it's amazing! Imagine if somebody took the cut-scenes from the original Ninja Gaiden and Deja Vu games and did a comic in that style.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Yep. What happened was I picked up a few of the later issues at a flea market close-out (for 10 cents apiece) and that rekindled my interest (I remembered the Saturday morning cartoon you see). The trouble with some of this stuff though is that it's hard to find complete minty runs for sale (being that many of them have bargain bin wear by now) and then there's going to the comic shop where they want to charge you 80 cents / $1 apiece and you can't even find what you want.

I am happy though that I found a complete minty run of "Shatter" comics by First--those are another entry from the ten cent box but I was very pleased to get a run of all 15 for $8 shipped or so. I think dealers have a hell of a time trying to sell these because nobody has every heard of them; but as the first comic to use experimental computer graphics goes, it's amazing! Imagine if somebody took the cut-scenes from the original Ninja Gaiden and Deja Vu games and did a comic in that style.[/QUOTE]

Awsome. All this comic talk has me wanting to track down some of the original Maxx and Sandman comics now. Probably going to reread my old Team 7s too. Classic stuff.

Don't buy comics because you're looking to profit.

Buy them if you enjoy them.

I've been doing it since I was 8 (I'll be 23 in June) and I've rarely sold any comics for more than they're worth (only because I needed the money, otherwise, I would've kept them).

Comics for the most part nowadays are only worth something if they have a low print run AND are desireable. For example The Walking Dead #1 (2003 Image Comics) goes for $250 to $300, of course it only had a print run of 5,000 copies. My holy grail of comics is finding the black ashcans of The Maxx, there's only 50 copies of each in existance.

One way of getting an average valued comic to be worth something is by getting it graded (CGC, PGX, etc.). Some $10-$20.00 comics in perfect (I mean PERFECT) condition might jump by a $100 or more with a high grade. I'm not really a fan of grading at all, but it's something some might want to look into.

bread's done
Back