Trading my PS3/PS2 slims for a (like new) BC 60gb?

Luriden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
694 (100%)
For anyone with a 60gb fat BC PS3, how are those holding up thus far? We got one in where I work and if I trade in my 120gb slim and slim PS2 for store credit, the 60gb would be pretty much free with my discount. It would be cheaper than buying a wireless PS2 controller, and I'd get PS2 upscaling and (virtually) unlimited memory card space as a bonus. I have a 500gb drive in my slim right now that I plan on putting in the 60gb, so hard drive space is not a concern. The console itself looks brand new, not a scratch on it, but I want to make sure the consoles aren't dropping like flies with YLOD at this point.

I don't really think it makes sense to downgrade at this point. The older models are terribly prone to YLOD and just general failures, whereas the Slims are built to last.

Everyone I know that has a fat PS3 has been forced to upgrade because of YLOD. I went through two systems before I finally upgraded to a Slim and haven't had a problem since.

[quote name='Tsel']I don't really think it makes sense to downgrade at this point. The older models are terribly prone to YLOD and just general failures, whereas the Slims are built to last.

Everyone I know that has a fat PS3 has been forced to upgrade because of YLOD. I went through two systems before I finally upgraded to a Slim and haven't had a problem since.[/QUOTE]

This. I think you're better off sticking with your slim PS3 and slim PS2. Sure, a fully BC PS3 is more convenient, but it's nearly guaranteed to fail before your slim PS3 would.

[quote name='Vincedow']But doesn't the fat's have the capability to run OS's?

Oh yeah they can run ps2 games I heard[/QUOTE]

OS's don't mean much to me. My slim used to be modded and I found all that extra crap useless.

It's mostly for convenience and to save money on all the PS2 accessories I still need, and to experience the upscaling (and having an all-in-one Sony device). With my job, we have an employee return policy where you can return anything you buy anytime, even a year later, as long as you're still working there and you'll get a refund for the current value in the form of payment you originally payed with. It works for games, not sure on consoles, but that's a plus in case it fails in a couple months. But if I lose my job and then the console, I'm screwed.

I'm just finding myself playing more PS2 than PS3 lately, deleting crap off my memory card and fighting to get my controller's cord to reach where I want it to, and being disgusted with how the game looks on my TV even with component cables. Maybe I should just give in and buy a wireless PS2 controller and another memory card I suppose.

I understand where your coming from, but I highly doubt you'll get much playing time out of an old 60GB'er. They had overheating issues up the wazoo and several other issues. Both of mine randomly stopped reading discs. All my friends got YLOD.

The Slims are the way to go. I really don't think downgrading is a wise decision.

Upscaling on the phat sucked. I had better results using an avr with anchor bay video processor in it. Now using a receiver with Marvell, I have even better result. But... 480p is 480p, no matter how much you sugarcoat it.

slims are the way to go even if that means having two systems. but if your return policy is that good, then it wont hurt to try. how much do you even play ps2 games? I dont remember popping in a ps2 game before my phat ylod-ed. the have slims have less power that will cut down on your electricity bills (if you're a heavy gamer).

[quote name='FactionG']Upscaling on the phat sucked.[/QUOTE]

THIS.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and DO NOT trade in your stuff. The upscaling doesn't make the games look much better at all. They will still look like shit on a large HD television. It's nice to have an all in one device, but once you consider the reliability issues it's simply not worth it.

I can't reiterate how bad of an idea this trade would be, but if you insist on doing this
DON'T
, open up the 60 GB and replace the thermal paste and the power supply with the cooler running model from the 40GB (I believe it was the 40GB, Google it) to attempt to prevent the YLOD.

Any logical person would not make the trade. However, it is your life and you can throw away your money however you want. Just don't come whining on the board if the fatty dies a quick, painful death if you swap. They've been out 5 years now and stopped making that model about 4.5 years ago.

Another question - how many PS2 games are you really going to play? Everyone's opinion is keep both slims and you will come out ahead.

The upscaling might have sucked but it made most PS2 games look much nicer than they did without it on an HDTV... but still, I can't say that it's worth the risk and additional cost of a BC system.

I've been meaning to sell my MGS4 bundle 80GB PS3 for the longest time now but am holding out of some type of decent deal during the holiday season (need to buy it first and transfer stuff over before I sell my old one). The price drop was nice but I'm hoping somebody throws in an extra giftcard. This holiday season is expensive enough already...

bread's done
Back