Trading PS3 for 360 Slim tomorrow, need advice

Mikerrrr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
I was thinking of putting this in the deal requests forum, but it seems more appropriate here.

I'm trading my PS3 for a 360 Slim tomorrow with a guy that found my ad on Craigslist. He says that it's a 3-month old Slim 4gb with a 250gb HDD. Could any helpful CAGs advise me on what to look for/what to do when he brings it over to make sure that it's legit? I haven't used a 360 since a few years ago, so I don't know much about the firmware or the hardware.

I plan to turn it on, obviously, and try playing a DVD on it to make sure the console and disc drive work. I'm also going to pull out the 250gb HDD and make sure that it looks like what it's supposed to. Am I missing anything else? Hardware and software-wise? How can I make sure that it hasn't been hacked, banned, etc?

From what I've heard, the new Slim 360 models are a lot more reliable than the older ones, and use 45nm chips and all that. If the console is, in fact, just three months old, is there any reason to believe that it'll crap out on me in the next few years?

If I do make the change tomorrow, where's the cheapest place to find a Live one-year subscription card? I know Amazon has them for $50, but I was wondering if some CAGs had extra ones for cheaper.

Thanks for any and all help.

You may be able to look for a manufacturing date on the back of the console (I think that's where it is). While I know that the slims were literally released a year ago, it just might be able to tell you how recent it's been made.

Also, I usually register my console(s) on Xbox Live for the Warranty option, and this person may do the same. If you could get them to log into Xbox Live from a computer and go to their profile to show that the console is freshly registered from 3 months ago, or to make sure it hasn't been sent in for any repairs (in the last year or 3 months), or that it isn't a replacement or a refurbished model, that should help make you more confident.

I haven't heard of any errors with slims, personally, but the above is just ways to further help prove that it is fine and fairly new.

Yeah, he said that he hasn't registered it with MS yet. I think if everything checks out, I'm going to do so myself. Do you have any more information about the manufacturing date? It probably has something to do with the serial number, right?

The manufacturing date should be on the back of the console, where there are inputs for the TV, power and internet. I think it does it numerically, like 01-10-2010. As long as it's from 2011, he's not kidding about the recent purchase.

Just be sure to hook it up to the internet, too. If he modded his console, you won't be able to connect your/his Xbox 360 to Xbox Live. I don't know much else about that, other than they ban consoles from accessing Live if they're caught modding, so as long as it can connect to Live, it should be "clean."

I would also make sure the warranty label hasn't been messed with. That usually goes hand-in-hand with modding, but don't forget to check even if it goes online fine.

Microsoft won't touch it for any reason if that label is tampered with, and neither will any retailer that doesn't already do system repairs that void the warranty anyway.

I would put a game disk in as well as a dvd. My slim stopped reading games properly; it tried to read them as a dvd. I had to send it in for a new drive; 10-months old and needed repair. It did not have problems with all games, Black Ops and some Kinect games.

Just to satisfy my own thoughts, why are you trading the PS3 for a 360? I assume you are a working adult or at least a working college student if you are using craiglist at all for anything.

Why not just for the hundreds of really good deals that pop up and buy one, does cost that much at all. After all...you are on cheap ass gamer.

I am only asking because I swear half the people on this site dont even bother with the deal page.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Just to satisfy my own thoughts, why are you trading the PS3 for a 360? I assume you are a working adult or at least a working college student if you are using craiglist at all for anything.

Why not just for the hundreds of really good deals that pop up and buy one, does cost that much at all. After all...you are on cheap ass gamer.

I am only asking because I swear half the people on this site dont even bother with the deal page.[/QUOTE]

I'm primarily a PC gamer, and I don't really have a need for two consoles, as nice as it would be. I also got my PS3 for $70 (long story), so a one-to-one swap would effectively be a $70 Xbox 360 250gb. The cheapest I've seen a slim 360 is $140 for the 4gb, and with a 250gb hard drive slapped on, about $225.

And thanks for all the advice so far, it looks like checking the warranty information is the way to go.

EDIT: If I have a GFWL gamertag, which is the equivalent of an Xbox gamertag, could I sign into Xbox Live on his Xbox? Is it just a matter of putting in my Windows Live ID and password?

bread's done
Back