Transfering files to a new comp.

Dragonsbane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
I just ordered a new comp and I am going to be giving the old one to my mom (awwwwwww). I was wondering what is the best way to get all of my files on to the new comp, before I wipe it and reinstall windows as a clean slate. Also is there any way to get all the programs and games over with out reinstalling, or am I a lazy man wishing for the impossible?

External hard drive, thumb drive, psp, etc. You could set up a network between the two computers and transfer everything (I think) but I have no idea how to do that.

You could plug the old hard drive into the new computer and transfer them that way, no network required.

The games/programs will probably need to be reinstalled though.

lots of ways to do it, like javeryh said. I normally burn whatever I want to keep to a dvd and go from there. as far as transferring game installs, I have never gotten anything like that to work. you can transfer most stuff over, but it still requires you to reinstall everything (might make reinstall faster, but you will probably be buggy if you attempt it) :cry:

I first backup everything from the old computer to a DVD.

Then I network the new computer with the old one. If you're worried about your DITY temporary network being compromised, make sure you're not connected to the internet. Once you've transferred everything via the network, delete the network connections and have fun reinstalling all of your programs. :)

bread's done
Back