Trapt (PS2) for $49.99? - LMAO! Keep dreaming, Tecmo!!

Devin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Everywhere I go, I see Trapt (PS2) overstocked on the shelves with a whopping price tag of "$49.99". Now... who is Tecmo kidding? $49.99??? First of all, this game is 'Part 4' in a series that NO ONE (figure of speech) has ever heard of. Second, there are no ads or commercials for this game, which alienates ALL gamers say for the few hundred fans of the Deception series who already know what Trapt is. Third, the boxart very convincingly screams, "PLEASE DO NOT BUY ME!". Fourth, this "unknown" game got pitiful reviews from ALL major/reliable game-reviewing sources (PSM, GameSpot.com, EGM, etc). And lastly, the price of $49.99 (with the addition of the things I've listed above) gives people no choice but to leave Trapt (PS2) right there on the shelf untouched.

Maybe in Japan this game catches the casual gamers' eye, but here in the states, Trapt (PS2) should honestly be no more than $9.99...

That being said, I'm a HUGE fan of the Deception series. Anyone know where I can get Trapt (PS2) for much cheaper? The ideal price would be $9.99, but I'd be happy to get it for $15-$25 bucks.

i dont know about this game, but this i do know, if the game retails at 50 your not gonna get it at 9.99 right now.

[quote name='onetrackmind']im a huge fan of the deception series, if i had $50 i'd drop it on trapt despite its bad reviews.[/QUOTE]

Me too.

I just have too much money spent on other stuff right now.

[quote name='Devin'] Fourth, this "unknown" game got pitiful reviews from ALL major/reliable game-reviewing sources (PSM, GameSpot.com, EGM, etc). [/QUOTE]
:rofl: Psm... a reliable game-reviewing source... :rofl:

[quote name='secretvampire']Am I really the first one to say....

IT'S A TRAPT![/QUOTE]

You truly are the Burger King!

mt1115865700.jpg

The gal on the cover is really hot...

[quote name='Devin']Everywhere I go, I see Trapt (PS2) overstocked on the shelves with a whopping price tag of "$49.99". Now... who is Tecmo kidding? $49.99??? First of all, this game is 'Part 4' in a series that NO ONE (figure of speech) has ever heard of. Second, there are no ads or commercials for this game, which alienates ALL gamers say for the few hundred fans of the Deception series who already know what Trapt is. Third, the boxart very convincingly screams, "PLEASE DO NOT BUY ME!". Fourth, this "unknown" game got pitiful reviews from ALL major/reliable game-reviewing sources (PSM, GameSpot.com, EGM, etc). And lastly, the price of $49.99 (with the addition of the things I've listed above) gives people no choice but to leave Trapt (PS2) right there on the shelf untouched.

Maybe in Japan this game catches the casual gamers' eye, but here in the states, Trapt (PS2) should honestly be no more than $9.99...

That being said, I'm a HUGE fan of the Deception series. Anyone know where I can get Trapt (PS2) for much cheaper? The ideal price would be $9.99, but I'd be happy to get it for $15-$25 bucks.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='onetrackmind']im a huge fan of the deception series, if i had $50 i'd drop it on trapt despite its bad reviews.[/QUOTE]

Same here. But I also must agree with the OP. This game should have come out under its original title (Deception or Kagero or maybe a combination of the two) and at a lower price point).

I agree with everyone that the game should have came out under its original title, Kagero II: Dark Illusion.

This is the art they should have used for the cover.

ME0000493506_2.jpg

i got a $25 gift card from gamestop from my girlfriends uncle... maybe i'll use that towards picking up Trapt.

I agree with the name part, i cant understand why they changed it.

[quote name='ZForce']Wow, I should print that out and put it over the cover of my copy of the game :)[/QUOTE]

It's awesome. I actually had a huge version of that as my wallpaper on my old PC. I need to see if I still have it.

My current desktop is from Deception II.

That's a cool wallpaper. Do you have just the plain wallpaper image you could post up here? I'd like to get that for my PC.

[quote name='ZForce']That's a cool wallpaper. Do you have just the plain wallpaper image you could post up here? I'd like to get that for my PC.[/QUOTE]

It's a .png file. If you need me to convert it, let me know.

Trapt = Nu-metal version of a good name (Deception). I guess it sort of explains what you're doing more than the Japanese title, but that original coverart is definitely more gamer-centric.

Best Buy has plenty of copies collecting dust. Give it a month or two, this game will drop to $15 w/GGC. I'm still shocked how quickly SSX:OT dropped to $15 w/GGC. This game will be a bit of a quieter drop, I suspect (even Best Buy is embarassed by the name)

I was lucky enough to find a sealed Trapt on half.com for about $26 shipped a few weeks ago. If you liked the first 3 games then you shouldn't bother even reading the reviews, you'll enjoy it.

[quote name='Megalith']But I'm still looking for a copy of Deception II.[/QUOTE]

check out the trading thread i think i've seen atleast 3 people selling Deception II recently

[quote name='Riyonuk']What is deception or whatever used to be trapt. They look cool, what system are they on?[/QUOTE]

PS one

in my opinion this is how the series ranks: Kagero Deception II, Deception I, and Deception III

I love the Deception series and Trapt's great. More of the same but the graphics are much sharper so less eyestrain trying to figure out where your victims are in relation to your "traps". The side quests are entertaining although they don't really mean much. The only complaint I have is that for a $50 title, they should have spent a little more money on the translation (they speak in Japanese and it's English subbed). There's a bit of engrish in the translation, it doesn't detract from the fun of magnetic walling someone and dropping on iron ball on them, though!

Yeah, it is a very unique series. It's all about the gameplay with the traps and combos. The graphics suck, the translation is poor, but it is very satisfying to trap the good guys.

Deception http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/573108.asp
Kagero: Deception II (my favorite) http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/197705.asp?q=kagero
Deception III: Dark Delusion http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/197077.asp?q=deception

I remember I used to use this sig image of Millenia from Kagero and Jen from Primal.

JenMillenia.jpg

Love those tatoos! :cool:

I might have to go back to that eventually.

[quote name='bradr']I love the Deception series and Trapt's great. More of the same but the graphics are much sharper so less eyestrain trying to figure out where your victims are in relation to your "traps". The side quests are entertaining although they don't really mean much. The only complaint I have is that for a $50 title, they should have spent a little more money on the translation (they speak in Japanese and it's English subbed). There's a bit of engrish in the translation, it doesn't detract from the fun of magnetic walling someone and dropping on iron ball on them, though![/QUOTE]

They kept the original voices? That's awesome! I wish they'd do the same for the Fatal Frame series.

My local Rhino finally got Trapt in about a month back, so since I had the credit I snagged a copy. Haven't had a chance to really play it yet, but what little bit I did try told me exactly what I wanted to know - it plays just like Deception. Which is not a bad thing at all. :)

[quote name='Riyonuk']Whats primal? Is that another series with changed name? Cause that looks cool![/QUOTE]

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/primal/review.html

At the beginning of Primal, a hulking demon assaults the lead singer of a heavy metal band just after his show, making off with him to who-knows-where and leaving his girlfriend unconscious and at death's door. Jen, who looks like she'd go out with the lead singer of a heavy metal band, is rushed to the hospital, and she eventually awakens from her coma, thanks to a diminutive gargoyle named Scree, who urges her to follow him into a strange, chaotic alternate reality and to help restore balance both to that world and to hers. Jen's not terribly interested in playing the heroine, but she'd definitely like her boyfriend back. That's where you come in: Primal challenges you to help Jen and Scree help each other as they explore big, seamless environments, solve puzzles, and battle enemies. This action adventure game features some excellent production values, between its outstanding graphics and first-rate voice acting, and it also has some clever twists and original ideas. At the same time, Primal isn't a fast-paced game, and its core gameplay and mechanics aren't always much fun since there's a lot of legwork involved and a lot of locked doors. But it's still a showcase game for the PlayStation 2 and one that will particularly appeal to fans of other occult-themed action adventure games, such as the Soul Reaver series by Crystal Dynamics.

I thought the gamplay was bland but I absolutely loved Jen as the lead character. Great design IMO. I havem't played it all the way throught yet though.

I'm glad to see that we're all on the same page about how this game should be like $10-$15 bucks new. Like you all, I feel "Trapt" was a HUGE mistake for a title. Why the hell would Tecmo re-name their Deception series as the same name for a crappy, heavy metal band? Why?? Granted they shouldve said "Deception IV", but as a subtitle, instead of using "Dark Illusion" (which is too closely similar to Deception III's subtitle "Dark Delusion"), they should've used a whole new subtitle that would actually grab gamers' attention. Like "Deception IV: Shadow of Sorcery"...

I dunno. It's late.

Has anyone ever known Tecmo USA to be marketting-savy? Yeah, if they released it for $20-30 with decent cover art/name, it would have sold way better. I'll wait for $20, myself.

Tecmo is a greedy company. They are a bit egotistical as well. Granted Ninja Gaiden was great and NG black was priced for just $30. They released thier classics collection for $30 with only 11 games and most were crappy. On the other hand, capcom classics was 22 games at $20 and was a much higher quality collection, as was Taito collection. And while I love DOA games...Im not the first to say they are dumbed down virtua fighter games although the gfx and environments are a step up.

bread's done
Back