Trine - physics-based co-op 2.5D platformer for up to 3 players, coming this June

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
trineheader2.png

Basic info:
  • Developer: Frozenbyte (small Finnish studio, creators of the excellent Shadowgrounds series)
  • Publisher: Nobilis
  • Price: TBA
  • Modes: Singleplayer and offline/single-system cooperative multiplayer story mode for up to 3 players, plus additional unlockable modes
  • Release date: June 2009
  • Availability: Retail, Steam, additional PC digital distribution channels (TBA), and PlayStation Network (discuss this version here)
  • Official website: www.trine-thegame.com

chainsbreak2.png

PC Demo is out! Play it and believe!

Demo download links (460 MB):
http://dl.gametap.com/DEMO/TrineDemo_GamesPlanet.exe
http://www.bigdownload.com/games/trine/pc/trine-demo
http://store.steampowered.com/app/35710/

chainsbreak2.png

About Trine

Trine is an upcoming 2.5D action/adventure/puzzle/platforming game set in a lush fantasy world, featuring three distinct characters (a wizard, a knight/warrior, and a thief/rogue) whose different abilities must be used by players to navigate through levels, solve puzzles, and defeat enemies. Over the course of the game, you'll be able to upgrade each character's weapons, abilities, and special moves. The game is playable in singleplayer, allowing one player to freely switch between the three characters, and also features cooperative multiplayer for up to three players. Additional players can join and leave the game at anytime, on-the-fly. The gameplay features fully interactive physics, which plays heavily into the exploration, puzzle, and combat elements of the game. Puzzles and obstacles will have multiple possible solutions, meaning that you are not always strictly relegated to using a specific character to solve a given puzzle. Playing in co-op also allows players to use different tactics and solutions, which would not be possible for just one person.

The story mode is made up of 16 levels, and results from playtesting indicate that the game takes about 10 hours to complete on the first play-through. Furthermore, completing the story mode once will unlock additional difficulty levels, and new play modes (which have yet to be specified). The developers promise strong replay value. Additional add-on content and expansions are planned for sometime following release, though confirmation of such DLC is pending initial success of the game.

Of course, as you will notice in the screenshots and gameplay trailers attached to this post, the game is absolutely gorgeous. As a 2.5D game, the gameplay is all two-dimensional, but the graphics are all lush, colorful, detailed, completely gorgeous 3D.

Trine is being created by small Finnish studio Frozenbyte, creators of the excellent Shadowgrounds duology (look them up on Steam; they're terrific, especially if you remember the old Alien Breed series), and will be their third released game. The game is targeted for release this June, and will be available at physical retail, and via Steam and additional to-be-announced digital distribution outlets. A demo is planned sometime shortly following release.

chainsbreak2.png

Screens and video

Screens:
trine-images-20081205001228241.jpg

trine-images-20081205001233881.jpg

trine-images-20081205001246302.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_coop_ruins.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_wizard_gap.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_wizard_levitate.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_knight_snake.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_wizard_ruins.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_wizard_spyglass.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_thief_trine.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_wizard_lift.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_thief_ruins_water.jpg

trine_screenshot_2009_03_knight_ruins_log.jpg

Trailers (I recommend watching them in HD):

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care that it's offline only. I doubt I'd want to play this one online, anyways. It very much looks like a game that I would only enjoy the multiplayer of, with my friends actually in the room with me. Kind of like Gauntlet or the original Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Even if they had online, I'd prefer playing with friends in the room, even with the hassle.

That's just a personal thing for me, of course.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't care that it's offline only. I doubt I'd want to play this one online, anyways. It very much looks like a game that I would only enjoy the multiplayer of, with my friends actually in the room with me. Kind of like Gauntlet or the original Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. Even if they had online, I'd prefer playing with friends in the room, even with the hassle.

That's just a personal thing for me, of course.[/QUOTE]

Well, it doesn't have to be one or the other. It's disappointing that there isn't both.

I probably won't be getting this now that I know it's offline only.

I just think that it would be a shame to completely ignore the game just because it doesn't have online co-op, when all signs indicate that it should be a perfectly fine singleplayer game as well...

We just don't get 2.5D games this pretty every day...

[quote name='smiggity']Yeah whys everyone whining about no online? Local Coop>Online Coop[/QUOTE]
i dunno about that, but local co-op is better than no co-op.

It's clearly designed for co-op. Just because there's a singleplayer mode doesn't mean the experience is just as good, or worth the time/money. The people I'd rather play it with are people I'd have to play with online due to distance. There's plenty of singleplayer platformers that I haven't played yet that are designed specifically for singleplayer, so if I can't co-op this with a friend online, I'll go elsewhere. That's too bad, because I wanted to play it.

Despite what games press will have you think, you are NOT obligated to fall head over heels in love with and/or buy every indie game that gets a smidge of attention.

[quote name='Sokkratez']Despite what games press will have you think, you are NOT obligated to fall head over heels in love with and/or buy every indie game that gets a smidge of attention.[/QUOTE]

This is not an "indie" game in any way, shape, or form. Where did you get that idea, exactly?

I personally have "fallen" for this game, because I think it sounds fantastic, based entirely on it's own concepts and demonstrable presentation merits. Thanks for being condescending, though.

[quote name='Sokkratez']It's clearly designed for co-op.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, but I'll take the developers repeated assertions (expressed in interviews, et cetera) that the game is very much designed to be equally enjoyable for any amount of up to three players, over your assumptions based on the trailers.

Just because there's a singleplayer mode doesn't mean the experience is just as good, or worth the time/money.

I'm not here to defend the game to everyone or anything, but don't you think it'd be best to reserve such judgment until at least trying the forthcoming demo?

Frozenbyte is pretty indie. Not one-dude-in-his-room indie, but you know what I mean.

I didn't say nobody else should check it out, if they're interested. I only said I don't feel obligated to and others shouldn't either. The game's not for me, and I'm okay with that. Why can't you be?

[quote name='Sokkratez']Frozenbyte is pretty indie. Not one-dude-in-his-room indie, but you know what I mean.[/quote]
I guess I can't blame this on you, because this seems to be pretty rampant in culture in general (not just gaming, either), but I seriously do not understand how a shortening of the term "independent" managed to get so mangled and misused that it can nowadays be casually applied to a professionally incorporated video game development studio, who have external publishing contracts, and who no doubt receive external funding.

Then again, these days we have movies like Juno, which was funded by fucking 20th Century Fox for crying out loud, being referred to as "independent," so I guess I should just get used to it, as the meaning of the term seems to have been permanently altered to mean something along the lines of "non-mainstream," apparently. I guess I just didn't notice when this happened.

I only said I don't feel obligated to and others shouldn't either.
I guess I just found it odd that you thought the game "looks great," and so quickly decided that it wasn't even worth trying a demo for. That fine, though. Doesn't bother me.

The game's not for me, and I'm okay with that. Why can't you be?
I never said or even indicated that I wasn't "okay with that." All I did was point out your misuse of the term "indie," that I don't think it is your place to talk about how this (or any) game is "clearly designed" based on fairly limited information when your assertions are contrary to the developer's, and that I think it's a good idea to play demos. It's a pretty big stretch, if you ask me, to see any of this as me being upset with you having your own opinions.

Thanks for perpetuating the idea that I'm an obsessive psychopath who goes in to a foaming-at-the-mouth rage any time I see an opinion different from mine, though. I really appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the term "indie" was perverted long ago, and I accepted it. I usually go to the trouble of saying "independent" if I'm referring to something truly independently made. "Indie" is more used when referring to an attitude or spirit now, from what I've seen.

I guess I just found it odd that you thought the game "looks great," and so quickly decided that it wasn't even worth trying a demo for. That fine, though. Doesn't bother me.

It's been over a month since "looks great". I also don't get the impression that any of what I've said doesn't bother you. I mean, here we are.

I don't think it is your place to talk about how this (or any) game is "clearly designed" based on fairly limited information

Does this mean that you'd disagree that there's an emphasis on co-op based on the videos, and that it's probably going to be the "best" way to play?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Thanks for perpetuating the idea that I'm a psychopath who goes in to a foaming-at-the-mouth rage any time I see an opinion contrary to mine, though. I really appreciate that.[/QUOTE]

Now you're just making things up. Sarcasm doesn't become you.

I will say that the game is called Trine, which in itself raises the expectation of it being a game made for co-op.

With that in mind, it is not so far of a stretch to assume that the devs planned a co-op game from the start and because of this multiplayer offers a greater experience.

However, fuck the "extended" definition of indie. This ain't no indie game.

Love the demo, it's an amazing game that has me pumped.....but at a $30 price point??? Really??? I don't think that'll work, I'll wait it out for a weekend deal at 15 or 20 bucks......maybe even 10 if I wait long enuff. Speaking of which, Zeno Clash 1/2 off for 9.99 this weekend as well as the heroes pack 20 with dark messiah, 13 without. That's my idea, those will satiate me until a Trine price drop comes around. Still looks amazing, and the Meridian 4 pack is EXTREMELY tempting at only $50 bucks.

I'm not going to debate which is better, offliine or online co-op. That being said, I wish there were more offline co-op or multi-player pc games. Plenty of people have pc's hooked up to big screen tv's these days. But sadly pc developers must feel that if more than one person plays a game, then each player needs a copy of that game. Heck I would be happy if developers did what Lucasarts did for Outlaws. I bought the game and it came with two copies for LAN play! :D

Just finished the demo, man I haven't had an experience that felt this well rounded in a while. It was fun, beautiful and very impressive. I only wish it had a $20 price tag instead of 30, that'll stop me from getting it for a while. I can only hope it's a fairly long game with good replay value.

Demo was fine as a Singleplayer game. You just swap the characters for different abilities. Feels like Lost Vikings, except you don't have to go back to get your other buddy after you pass through a difficult section.

It actually makes me wonder how coop would work. I played through just once, very quickly. But it seemed like there were sections that only one type of character could get through. I don't know how the coop partner controlling the fighter could make it through some of the sections. It was only (easily?) passable by switching to the rouge and swinging through.

I probably just missed some alternate path thing he'd have to take...

Definitely looking forward to an xbla release. Seems built for it (clicking the green Start button). I wonder why they released the pc version at such a high price point if xbla is around the corner?

I read the full game is a 10-11 hour deal.
It's too bad the pc and psn prices are different, for whatever reason is given.

as pointed out, solving the puzzles in co-op does alter strategy significantly at times.
I will probably wait until this is onsale, and buy it immediately, regardless of whether it is 10, 20 or more % off. Just how my rationalizing works.

bread's done
Back