Trip Hawkins comes off as a complete idiot.

JSweeney

CAGiversary!
Trip Hawkins Interview.

Hmmm.
Doesn't understand a question but gives a BS answer anyway.
Gives a fairly stupid justification for when talking about why he thinks game prices will or will not go up next generation.

Makes a brash claim about Nintendo that has absolutely no basis or explanation to back it up. "My Magic 8 ball says..."
Either he's not to bright to say that, or the interviewer did a poor job when typing up the interview.

This interview does not help his image as a credible analyst of the industry.

I thought it was a decent interview, he just gave his opinions...he has just as good a possibilty at being right, then anyone on this board...

[quote name='ryanbph']I thought it was a decent interview, he just gave his opinions...he has just as good a possibilty at being right, then anyone on this board...[/quote]

If he was some yokel off the street, sure.
He's a professional. I could ask those same questions to a couple of CAGs right now and get a more interesting and more useful view of the upcoming generation.
Trip Hawkins is doing himself absolutely not favors with that interview...
most of his answers were trivial, and there is very little of real value that can be gleened from it.

Either he did a terrible job when he was interviewed, or the interviewer just outright sucked.

EA has made its way to the top. Are there any publishers that you see rising up in the future and possibly taking over "the top spot?"
The candidates would be EA, Sony, Microsoft, and Konami.

Way to go out on a limb. EA is at the top (according to the question) but in the future EA is a candidate to take over the top spot.... from itself. I also like how Sony, Microsoft and Konami were thrown in there.... oooohhhh that's some magic 8-ball he's got there...

[quote name='javeryh']
EA has made its way to the top. Are there any publishers that you see rising up in the future and possibly taking over "the top spot?"
The candidates would be EA, Sony, Microsoft, and Konami.

Way to go out on a limb. EA is at the top (according to the question) but in the future EA is a candidate to take over the top spot.... from itself. I also like how Sony, Microsoft and Konami were thrown in there.... oooohhhh that's some magic 8-ball he's got there...[/quote]

Isnt Nintendo still the top publisher currently?

[quote name='JSweeney']This interview does not help his image as a credible analyst of the industry.[/quote]

When did he get this image? Did I miss a memo somewhere?

Trip Hawkins is the founder of the largest publisher, Electronic Arts. He even came up with the popular Madden series. He also found 3DO and released his own game console. Recently he made another new company, Digital-Chocolate. This time however, he will be making games for mobile phones. And for those wondering, he hasn't been with EA for some time now so don't say you don't like him because of EA.
This entire interview sounds like it was written by someone with a third-grade education. Pathetic and very unprofessional.

I saw this earlier today when checking PA.com. Like others have said, either the interviewer did a poor job, either in their question or they type up of the interview, or Trip Hawkins has no clue about what he is talking about. Doesn't help his image at all.

I think the interviewer blew ass, but i do respect Trip Hawkins. That guy is arrogant, but insanely brilliant in the industry. He's sorta like a Donald Trump, you hate him, but your amazed by the stuff he says. The Nintendo comment i'm not too sure about. I don't find it too far off saying that they could go 2nd party or 3rd party support though. IMO if Nintendo doesn't shock and awe this year at E3, they will have alot of work to do. But i do hope they shock and awe us all, because A. I'll be at E3 :lol: and B. Nintendo is an important company for creativity and thinking outside of the box.

Although i wouldn't mind Nintendo and Microsoft teaming up. Holy crap could you imagine the BAD ass stuff that would come out!?! :shock:

I only read the first 4 questions, but that was enough to agree with you. Even I could give more intelligent answers.

Trip Hawkins is ignorant, not arrogant (well, that too). He proved that after the 3DO was launched and he basicially pissed all over every other platform of game out there. I'll give you a few of his moments of brilliance.

-He told anyone who would listen that Donkey Kong Country didn't exist, and that Nintendo tried to prove that it's inferior hardware could do rendered graphics as a way to snuff the 3DO out of the market. He claimed that Nintendo's CES display of Donkey Kong Country was all smoke and mirrors and that, in fact, a super computer powered the whole thing. Really, he said that. And he wasn't joking.

-He called the Sega 32X a 'bloody, pussy (as in pus, not puss) bandaid" Though factual, it pissed off Sega so much that they cut off EA, who, in turn, cut off Trip from the company.

-He called the Sega Saturn "The most jumbled, amaturish major platform ever released." Smooth Trip, real smooth.

-Then, to top it off, he kissed Sony's ass in a backhanded way by saying "For a company so new to the (game) industry, I would have hopped that they would have made more mistakes by now. But they have their work cut out for them. 3DO is here now, and Sony's machine isn't as powerful as the 3DO." A huge lie and he knew it.

-Then, after he came clean that 3DO was inferior to both the Saturn and the PS, he backpeddled and claimed that he was referring to the M2, which never came out and was at least three years away at the time he said it.

I don't have any respect for him. I don't think he's smart. I think EA was profitable in spite of him and not because of him. Most people that worked with him will tell you that.

From PA:
With the next Xbox planned for release prior to Nintendo's and Sony's next systems, the cost of implementing a next-gen media format (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) would be expensive. What do you think if Xbox 2 used the standard DVD format instead of high definition?

Personally, I don’t think this is an important distinction. But maybe some early adopters will care about this and at least initially sway market share. HD will only be relevant in the long run if applications like football use it effectively to enable you to see more of the field. But I think the players are already on information overload as it is.

I read the interview, I didn't think it was so bad. If you've read lots of Trip Hawkins interviews (which many of you claim to), you know that he does make brash claims and he also jokes around. I think the 8-ball comment was basicallly saying, he hunches that Nintendo isn't going to be around in it's current form, but how would he know for sure, Nintendo isn't giving him any more info than you have.

For Survivor, ok, other than the DKC comments (which I bet he regrets), what's so off with the other comments. Let's be honest, 32X was a band-aid that Sega shouldn't have released. Saturn was a jumbled mess to the other consoles at the time (very difficult to code to, said many people).

Also, yeah, it was bankhanded compliment to Sony, but still a compliment. He is outspoken, I think he is still interviewed because he is willing to talk openly, and he is right quite a bit.

"Uh, let me think about it… I’ve decided. No! That is like asking me if I want to put my hand on a hot stove again." -Trip Hawkins when asked about creating another video game console. WTF are you babbling about??!! 3DO is teh shizzit!!!!

I read the interview, and it's the editor who dropped the ball more than Trip. When you're doing an interview, you have to be selective to pick the right questions and print the right answers. Basically, you EDIT. The guy who did the interview/transcribing/publishing was either vindictive towards Trip, or was a total idiot. Of course, who the hell ever heard of that site in the first place?

Trip almost single-handedly did the first Madden. For that, he deserves respect from all gamers. I got a juicy story from him (that was printed in the GMR Madden compendium I did late last year), about how his team actually did both John Madden and Joe Montana in the same year.

See, Sega was way behind development on their own football game, and saw how good Madden looked. They were going to pay EA to drop Madden and turn the game into Montana. Instead, a deal was worked out so Trip and team would retool Madden into a new game to be Joe Montana, but also release Madden. Pretty brilliant, if you ask me, and I bet they made phat bank.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not a Trip fanboy. I'm just presenting a few things I know about the guy.

bread's done
Back