Tritton AX720 at BestBuy 129.99

spiderdog

CAGiversary!
Just was at Bestbuy and bought a pair of Tritton AX720 headphones.
They are going for 129 dollars. I have a pair of the AX360 and these blow them away. You can really tell were other players in games are coming from which direction. These are not even on their website yet. So if you are looking for a pair they got them in now.

[quote name='Apostle22']I'm not home right now so I dont know the exact name of the sound fields....Anyways, there are 3 options.....5.1 mode, movie mode, and sound mode.....THe sound mode is when the green light is on the base unit, movie mode is when 3 white lights are on, and 5.1 mode is just when 1 light is on......

As I said earlier, movie mode gives the sound greater range, but sound quality sucks. Everything that Kefka posted sounds like movie mode when playing a game. Regular 5.1 mode kicks some serious ass.

The PROs do not offer anywhere near the same sound seperation as the 720s do.[/QUOTE]

Remember when you set the AX720s up, the Decoder box lights should be set to on are LIGHTS 1-3-4 for Dolby Digital. not the default setting.....Are you guys doing this?

[quote name='spiderdog']Remember when you set the AX720s up, the Decoder box lights should be set to on are LIGHTS 1-3-4 for Dolby Digital. not the default setting.....Are you guys doing this?[/QUOTE]Yes, thats exactly how I had mine setup.

Just it back from best buy, and picked up these bad boys. Too bad they went off sale, but I have like $70 in gift cards, and a cupon for 10% off too.

Once I Got home, and hooked everything up I went for a test spin. I immedaitly noticed the Infinty ward logo, and how great it sounded like other posters have said above.

Just like kefka said I noticed that the one setting sounded cheesy, so I changed it up an it sounded great.

The bass sounded a little lackluster, so I could see how others would like the pros, but man did everything sound so great in harmony. I felt all this time that I have been getting ripped off sound wise with my crappy sharp aquos speakers haha.

On another note I was covering my buddys back in the 2nd floor house in estate, and I could hear the poor bastard creeping up on me with this headset. then Bammmm! akimbo 1887's to the face!

Overall well worth the money if you want to enjoy a good sound exp on the xbox.

Oh well on to my second level of prestige. Only 1 more level to go :)

[quote name='MYFIREMANISHUGE']http://www.overclock.net/sound-card...3-ocnhc-guide-gaming-headphones-headsets.html

Enjoy your POS Headphones when you could get a better pair of real ones for about half the price.[/QUOTE]

Nice reply!! I mean just GREAT!! oh, and the headphones you point to "DO NOT WORK on XBOX 360 or PS3 with chat" what this thread is all about. So please continue to add your much needed support to this thread. And as a Veteran to this site you could do better than that! C'mon.... :hot:

Has anybody used a setup that connects the 720s to both the 360 and the PS3? i saw that on pg3 of the thread spiderdog gave a link to monoprice with an optical splitter. Anybody tried this or got any suggestions?

[quote name='LordKefka06']Tritton AX PROs will solve all your problems.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother! I agree.

Also, I too have had a little trouble with the mic squaking when the cord is jiggled. Nothing horrible but if you bump the volume control, it does it. Either way these are far and above the best I have tried.

[quote name='jedeyeben']Amen brother! I agree.

Also, I too have had a little trouble with the mic squaking when the cord is jiggled. Nothing horrible but if you bump the volume control, it does it. Either way these are far and above the best I have tried.[/QUOTE]Just out of curiosity, how long have you had your phones?

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now & I've had absolutely no problems, except the cord clip breaking off (but that's very very minor & replaceable).

[quote name='spiderdog']Nice reply!! I mean just GREAT!! oh, and the headphones you point to "DO NOT WORK on XBOX 360 or PS3 with chat" what this thread is all about. So please continue to add your much needed support to this thread. And as a Veteran to this site you could do better than that! C'mon.... :hot:[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you told him off.....I personally didnt feel like wasting time on a fool like that.....:applause::applause::applause:

Picked up the AX 720 this weekend, did the best buy online and pickup in store. I had the wife pick it up and when she brought them home, I noticed the bastards gave me a return/open box model. Everything works fine except the mic. None of my friends can hear me at all, lots of static and distortion (on their end, I don't hear it). I'm taking it back today for an unopened box. Is this the norm with this model or did I discover the reason this was an open box product? Also, do you guys leave the unit on all the time or turn it off when not in use?

[quote name='Bruticis']Picked up the AX 720 this weekend, did the best buy online and pickup in store. I had the wife pick it up and when she brought them home, I noticed the bastards gave me a return/open box model. Everything works fine except the mic. None of my friends can hear me at all, lots of static and distortion (on their end, I don't hear it). I'm taking it back today for an unopened box. Is this the norm with this model or did I discover the reason this was an open box product? Also, do you guys leave the unit on all the time or turn it off when not in use?[/QUOTE]

I had a problem with my mic also and returned my 720's for new ones. The mic was kind of shady, but it worked if I talked really loud. However, the second set I got works perfectly. I can't recommend them enough. All of my FPS games (MW2, L4D2) sound great on them and I can really hear where everyone is coming from. I love them.

As far as leaving them on, I don't when I'm not using them. I have one of those Monster Power Green PowerCenter, and I've attached my TV to the main power source, so when my TV is off, everything else is off and saves power. Sorry I can't really tell you anything other than that.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Just out of curiosity, how long have you had your phones?

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now & I've had absolutely no problems, except the cord clip breaking off (but that's very very minor & replaceable).[/QUOTE]

I picked mine up in July, at the Tritton booth at Comic-con. Mine were fine for the longest time, but just lately they have started the noise. I use them daily, and haven't had a single complaint since I bought them. I chalk it up to using them constantly and it's not really bad or anything, its just a little crackle when you bump the input jack.

I've been able to test these out and here are my thoughts.

Sound quality is ok. Compared to my audio technica A700's, they leave quite a bit to be desired.

Directionality is good. No trouble locating things based on sound.

Leakage is not so great. Got these headphones to trap the chatter noise, but my fiancee still complained of hearing the other gamers' voices.

When I used these with my ps3, audio was cut to TV. When I used them with my xbox, audio was still sent to TV. Anyone know a fix for this?

I got mine off ebay for about $80 and I had the mic problem some people have mentioned. I called them and they are sending me a new mic, apparently it's just a problem with some of them.

After I returned my open box set, the new ones worked great. I noticed another open box set back on the shelf when I was picking out my new ones for exchange, kind of troubling.

I'm guessing that BB is getting the returns and testing the audio, not finding an issue, then sticking them back on the shelf. I'd like to hope they test everything, including the mics, but I dunno (and again I'm assuming).

Still haven't bought mines yet. A bit hard because there is so many biased opinions in this thread. It's either Tritton AXpros are wack, get 720s or vice versa. Talking to some of my audiophile friends they have said that simulated surround sound is their preference and more than 2 drivers creates a fake sound that doesn't feel real. Then others say that Pros are better, then I go on youtube to see a long review and he states 720s are much more superior in 3d sound yet Pros have superior sound quality

So damn confusing, which one would be better for gaming. Can you hear Ninja Pro on 720s? That's all I want

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Still haven't bought mines yet. A bit hard because there is so many biased opinions in this thread. It's either Tritton AXpros are wack, get 720s or vice versa. Talking to some of my audiophile friends they have said that simulated surround sound is their preference and more than 2 drivers creates a fake sound that doesn't feel real. Then others say that Pros are better, then I go on youtube to see a long review and he states 720s are much more superior in 3d sound yet Pros have superior sound quality

So damn confusing, which one would be better for gaming. Can you hear Ninja Pro on 720s? That's all I want[/QUOTE]

As I stated before AX720's per my testing of all of them. I prefer the simulated. You can really hear who and where they are when near you. It actually feels like you are cheating in the game. As others and I have done buy a pair and try them, you can always return.

[quote name='spiderdog']As I stated before AX720's per my testing of all of them. I prefer the simulated. You can really hear who and where they are when near you. It actually feels like you are cheating in the game. As others and I have done buy a pair and try them, you can always return.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. I've been using my AX 720's every time I play MW2 and the sound has been spot on.

There's no doubt that you'll hear which way death is coming.

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Still haven't bought mines yet. A bit hard because there is so many biased opinions in this thread. It's either Tritton AXpros are wack, get 720s or vice versa. Talking to some of my audiophile friends they have said that simulated surround sound is their preference and more than 2 drivers creates a fake sound that doesn't feel real. Then others say that Pros are better, then I go on youtube to see a long review and he states 720s are much more superior in 3d sound yet Pros have superior sound quality

So damn confusing, which one would be better for gaming. Can you hear Ninja Pro on 720s? That's all I want[/QUOTE]

I can hear my own footsteps with ninja pro, can't say for sure for others as I returned my 720's a while back and went for AD-700+astroA40 combo.

I'm still having an issue with the mic on my AX-720's. Well actually, I'm not, but my teammates are. Everything sounds perfect on my end, but i get complaints about feedback and distortion. It also seems like I have to talk louder for others to hear me, but that could be the effect of wearing headsets.

[quote name='Bruticis']I'm still having an issue with the mic on my AX-720's. Well actually, I'm not, but my teammates are. Everything sounds perfect on my end, but i get complaints about feedback and distortion. It also seems like I have to talk louder for others to hear me, but that could be the effect of wearing headsets.[/QUOTE]

Try doing this.....Make a voice message in the message menu to send and then listen to it or send it to yourself.
You'll be able to tell what your friends are hearing. If it sounds bad and you can't hear yourself, it might be faulty.

My AX 720 Mic issue was resolved when I switched it out. I still hear feedback when I record a message and listen to it, but my CoD buddies do not hear any of it and that is what matters. I have posted my impressions of the 3 headsets I have tried this past month for those interested.

Turtle Beach X31 – Wireless Analog Stereo (left – right) headphones
Pro’s – Very comfortable. Light, Good mic. Ablility to hear yourself talk with headphones on keeps you from talking too loud. Good Bass. Works with any device with Analog Stereo AV jacks (TV, iPod, etc.) 100 dollars (relative to the others).
Con’s – Only Analog Stereo. No surround. No optical input
Overall – Very nice headset. Very comfortable with great sound. My 2nd choice out of the 3 I looked at.

Turtle Beach X41 – Wireless 7.1 Surround headphones
Pro’s – Sound good when working. Same as X31s, you can hear yourself when you talk
Con’s – Don’t work very well. Hurt my ears. Even though it uses the same wireless tech as the X31s, these were constantly poping and buzzing with feedback noises. 200 dollars.
Overall – When working, they sound great. Simulated Surround (only two speakers) works as advertised. Not worth 200 to me.

Tritton AX 720 – Wired 5.1 digital Surround Headset
Pro’s – Sound great. Just as good as x41s with simulated surround. Can easily tell where bullets and footsteps are coming from. Comfortable. Compatible with Analog source, and optical sources ( PS3). 130.00
Con’s - Wired. Wires to stumble over if your not carefull. Microphone is not as flexible as Turtle Beaches. Heavier than the TBs.
Overall – For 70 dollars less, the sound is just as good as the X41s I tested. The wires are unfortunate, but I don’t have to deal with popping and other wireless interference.

I ultimately went with the AX720s for the best price/performance combination. Had my original AX720 mic problem not been fixed when I switched them out, I would have gone back to the X31s.

For the most part, I've fixed my mic issues. It seems that if my buddies talk too loud, they can hear themselves (I assume this is because of the playback of their voice in my headset, near the mic). Once I "trained' my friends to not talk so loud, I've been problem free for the most part with the mic. It does tend to distort a bit when I get excited and start yelling but I consider that more of an issue on my end (stop screaming, stupid).

Also if people are having static problems(360) with their 720's or PRO's, try straightening out the Xbox Live cable. I noticed that when it was all bunched up(new),
the kinks in it seemed to cause a little static but once I worked them in and straightened the cord out real good, it worked PERFECT.

Has anyone had any luck with using an optical splitter to hook up to a PS3 and 360? I haven't had much luck with optical splitters in the past but maybe it was just me. I know I could probably do an optical switch but most of those are kinda bulky. I'd like to hide the device behind my components which could make switching a switch a pain.

[quote name='Bruticis']Has anyone had any luck with using an optical splitter to hook up to a PS3 and 360? I haven't had much luck with optical splitters in the past but maybe it was just me. I know I could probably do an optical switch but most of those are kinda bulky. I'd like to hide the device behind my components which could make switching a switch a pain.[/QUOTE]

While I haven't had any experience with using an optical splitter, I'd still probably go with a switch over the splitter.

Check out these splitter reviews at Amazon. Overall it's gotten worse reviews but one reviewer said he split his 360 & PS3
and said it was no problem since only one was being used at a time. Here's the switch reviews that seem to be more favorable.

They're not really that expensive so I'd say get both to see which one works better for you from Monoprice.com.

Ok I just got the Tritton AX 180 from Best Buy yesterday. When I'm talking to the mic I CAN'T hear myself on its speaker (i think they called it voice feedback). So if anyone in here got AX 180, it is really like that or mine is just broken. Pls help..

And also for the AX 720, does it have a voice feedback or no?

I do NOT hear myself talking in the headsets with the AX720. It felt a bit weird at first because I found myself shouting at times but I'm quite used to it now.

[quote name='Bruticis']I do NOT hear myself talking in the headsets with the AX720. It felt a bit weird at first because I found myself shouting at times but I'm quite used to it now.[/QUOTE]QFT. But with the PROs.

I felt obliged to post here after all the help you guys have provided as I tried to decide between the 720 and PRO. Eventually went with 720...traded in my 180 for it tonight at BB after spotting a coupon on Retailmenot for 10% any video game or video game accessory there.

So far I've been stymied by my lack of optical out port on the 360. I got my system used, so they just gave me the composite cables. So right now my optical cable leads from the TV to the headphone amp, meaning I don't get 5.1 from the 360. The headphones still sound very nice, though...better than the 180s, which distorted pretty often, for sure. I also tested to see what contribution the default Pro Logic II setting had (as 180s do not have one) and thought it was substantial, making everything more vivid.

I did get a preview of what the 5.1 will be like by turning on an HD channel on TV, and wow, these headphones do really sound top-notch.

I'll be calling Gamestop tomorrow to see if they have any used component cables for sale so that I can pop the plastic off em, plug them in next to the HDMI port, and use the optical cord.

my 720 stop working on me last night. Think the box went bad (lights up but get no sound).

Best Buy was nice enough to let me exchange them for a new pair even though I bought them back at the beginning of September.

I picked up the 720s at BB a couple of days ago. Was buying a camera so figured I'd take advantage of the 18mo financing with these.

They are going back today.

I liked:
- Positional sound worked very well.

I disliked:
- Terrible bass, really weak sounding
- They are freaking heavy -- too heavy for me to wear comfortably for long
- They are HUGE. The pads actually lay on part of my jaw, so everytime I would talk they would shuffle around on my ears.
- I (mistakenly) thought that I could have them hooked up to more than one system at a time. This was a big drawback for me. I want to be able to effortlessly switch between my 360, PS3 and Wii without moving cables all around.

So far I've been really impressed. I don't think I appreciated the quality of the sound until I gave my mp3 player a listen yesterday on my old headphones...it sounded like shit! As mentioned above, the positional audio does work pretty well. I'm still not sure about hearing the difference between forwards and backwards or down and above, but I think I've just usually been able to infer it from what I see. In addition, the voice chat, clear on both ends, is vastly superior to that of the 180, on which I and everyone else sounded muffled. They are definitely big, but I usually forget they're even there. I probably look a little silly to non-gamers, but who cares?

Kefka, I would if I had $170 to spare even for a few days to try them out, but I don't. I feel like the 720s are the right choice for me, though, since I do want nice audio and the ability to hear incoming opponents, but not at the expense of it being natural. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like most people think the true 5.1 sounds great but unnatural.

[quote name='daminion']I picked up the 720s at BB a couple of days ago. Was buying a camera so figured I'd take advantage of the 18mo financing with these.

They are going back today.

I liked:
- Positional sound worked very well.

I disliked:
- Terrible bass, really weak sounding
- They are freaking heavy -- too heavy for me to wear comfortably for long
- They are HUGE. The pads actually lay on part of my jaw, so everytime I would talk they would shuffle around on my ears.
- I (mistakenly) thought that I could have them hooked up to more than one system at a time. This was a big drawback for me. I want to be able to effortlessly switch between my 360, PS3 and Wii without moving cables all around.[/QUOTE]

The 720s don't even work with the wii. As for switching, you just need a 7 dollar optical toslink switch from monoprice. You could also try a splitter and hope that works, but no guarantees.

[quote name='LittleCannoli']So far I've been really impressed. I don't think I appreciated the quality of the sound until I gave my mp3 player a listen yesterday on my old headphones...it sounded like shit! As mentioned above, the positional audio does work pretty well. I'm still not sure about hearing the difference between forwards and backwards or down and above, but I think I've just usually been able to infer it from what I see. In addition, the voice chat, clear on both ends, is vastly superior to that of the 180, on which I and everyone else sounded muffled. They are definitely big, but I usually forget they're even there. I probably look a little silly to non-gamers, but who cares?

Kefka, I would if I had $170 to spare even for a few days to try them out, but I don't. I feel like the 720s are the right choice for me, though, since I do want nice audio and the ability to hear incoming opponents, but not at the expense of it being natural. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like most people think the true 5.1 sounds great but unnatural.[/QUOTE]
Yup, it sounds fake. I've used "true" 5.1 surround sound headphones (not the axpros) and they sounded really good but the sound was so unnatural. In real life your right ear doesn't shut down when noise comes from your left.

Also to any 720 owners, are your mics working good on xbox live. Been noticing that alot of people are having problems with it. I need to wait one week to get my 720s, AHHHH!! Damn paycheck

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Yup, it sounds fake. I've used "true" 5.1 surround sound headphones (not the axpros) and they sounded really good but the sound was so unnatural. In real life your right ear doesn't shut down when noise comes from your left.

Also to any 720 owners, are your mics working good on xbox live. Been noticing that alot of people are having problems with it. I need to wait one week to get my 720s, AHHHH!! Damn paycheck[/QUOTE]

My friend just purchased his 720s and the mic is broken. It worked for one day and then broke. Seems like all the high end headsets have awful mic quality. I bought the 720s online and I'm still waiting for them to come in. I was told to not really expect the mics to last no matter how well you take care of your set.

[quote name='Anexanhume']The 720s don't even work with the wii. As for switching, you just need a 7 dollar optical toslink switch from monoprice. You could also try a splitter and hope that works, but no guarantees.[/QUOTE]

The 720s come with a PC mini jack stereo adapter. If you have a rca to minjack adapter, you can use the Wii like this. Also, if you ahve a receiver or TV that will take rca left/right audio and pipe it through an optical out (my Vizio does this), you can use your Wii this way too. For Pro Logic to work you will have to go through digital amp, and the only way to do this is going the optical route.

Also, for the user asking about mics, after some trouble with my first unit, the mic has worked great on my 2nd set.

Damn, my PRO's mic cord is broken. :(

I can only get it to pick up my voice if I wiggle the cord that goes into the dongle, and then it'll only work for a few seconds before I would have to find a new position.

You guys know if Tritton does any replacements? I've had mine for 44 days now.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Damn, my PRO's mic cord is broken. :(

I can only get it to pick up my voice if I wiggle the cord that goes into the dongle, and then it'll only work for a few seconds before I would have to find a new position.

You guys know if Tritton does any replacements? I've had mine for 44 days now.[/QUOTE]

If it is the same cord as the 720s, Radio Shack sells an adapter so you can use a standard mini jack cable and convert one end to the small plug the Xbox controller needs. I tried this with my first set I had mic troubles with.

Thanks for the help, but I worded my post wrong.

The mic cord that goes from the headset to the dongle is broken/lose, to the point where the mic willonly work if I wiggle around the cord that goes into the dongle from the headset.

Quick question....I am looking into getting a headset for late night gaming sessions and was wondering which would be the best thing to get. My initial thought was getting the TB X1s, but since I also have a PS3, it would make more sense to go with a headset that can work with both systems. Which led me to the TT AX180s. I'm not sure if spending $60 more for the 720s would be a benefit for me. From my understanding, the 180s only do analog and the 720s does optical.

I currently am using a component cable for my 360 with audio coming out of the red and white cables and hdmi (picture and sound) for the ps3. I have the sound coming from my 2.1 speakers (360, using a converter for red and white cable into a 3.5mm male head to the input of the 2.1 speakers and the PS3, line out from the monitor into the 2.1 speakers.)

With my setup, should I go for the 180s or the 720s?

[quote name='LordKefka06']Damn, my PRO's mic cord is broken. :(

You guys know if Tritton does any replacements? I've had mine for 44 days now.[/QUOTE]

Check amazon and newegg.. thats the big complaint the mic breaking and tritton ingoring them..

was a best buy warranty available? Thats the best route I bet.

I bought the 720's and love them BUT i was ready to take them back because of the mic hissing while using one of my older controllers. I tried everything to stop the hissing and it didnt work until i realized it was an older controller that i have had problems with the mic jacks before. Switched to my other stick and no more hiss and people not bitching about my mic.

Still think for the price these cost that quality on the mic side couldve been a hell of alot better.

bread's done
Back