Tropico 3 - @ gamestop - $19.98 NEW - $17.99 USED

[quote name='neiname']OOS used[/QUOTE]

It appears so. However. It doesn't say online price only. So it dropped in store too!

Hope that helps anyone looking to snag this :D

There is apparently a save/load bug for islands with a population over like 500. The problem has been acknowledged, but it doesn't really seem like a patch is going to happen.

Regardless, I've been playing this again lately - 3-4 hours last night - and it's really fantastic. I love building up my city.

Also of note is that this is available on Steam for about $10, with the Absolute Power expansion pack, it is $16.98. FWIW it doesn't look like the expansion is coming to 360.

[quote name='Lucian']Also of note is that this is available on Steam for about $10, with the Absolute Power expansion pack, it is $16.98. FWIW it doesn't look like the expansion is coming to 360.[/QUOTE]

How are the controls on this on the 360 vs the PC? All else being equal, I'd probably rather play it on the 360 and don't really care about the expansion pack (the save bug not being patched is troublesome, though), but I know that games like this tend to control a lot better on a PC than they do on a console.

[quote name='arcane93']How are the controls on this on the 360 vs the PC? All else being equal, I'd probably rather play it on the 360 and don't really care about the expansion pack (the save bug not being patched is troublesome, though), but I know that games like this tend to control a lot better on a PC than they do on a console.[/QUOTE]
IIRC, there's a demo available on the Xbox, if you want to check the controls out.

[quote name='arcane93']How are the controls on this on the 360 vs the PC? All else being equal, I'd probably rather play it on the 360 and don't really care about the expansion pack (the save bug not being patched is troublesome, though), but I know that games like this tend to control a lot better on a PC than they do on a console.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']IIRC, there's a demo available on the Xbox, if you want to check the controls out.[/QUOTE]

This game is so awesome if your into simulators, I was afraid it wouldn't translate well to the controller, but in fact it's easier and funner to play on console than on PC.

I have at least 20 hours in it and no where near complete, also there is a great forum/community with tons of guides and stuff:
Forum
Awesome Guide

[quote name='Lucian']There is apparently a save/load bug for islands with a population over like 500...[/QUOTE]
CONFIRMED; however, population control is very easy and the glitch is avoidable. Don't save if your population is > 500, easy. To keep your population from climbing get the one (name escaping me at work) "immigration office" thing, and turn off people coming to your island completely (unless hired). If you ever need more turn it on and like 30~50 will just like plunge into your island, turn it off again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased on Steam last night, but didn't play on PC yet because I had a Sandbox island I wanted to get back to on 360. I am extremely comfortable with the controls on the 360 controller. They are fast (okay, laying roads isn't so fast) and easily become natural after the tutorial and probably the first campaign island. The demo is still up on XBLM, so I'd encourage checking it out. The game is amazingly addictive. And after a handful of islands, I realized how you can add functions to most buildings to improve job quality or output (like adding a smokehouse to a cattle ranch to make jerky) and it made things even more interesting. It seems to get deeper as you go.

Re: the save/load bug
I personally have not been hit by the bug, but it's probably because I'm aware of it. For example, yesterday I loaded my sandbox island with a population of about 450. It climbed to over 500, so - like viisual suggested today - I changed my immigration policy to only allow skilled workers and over about 10-15 years it dropped to around 420ish. I wanted to build up the population a bit more (needed more workers), so then I went back to an open door policy. It is a bit annoying to have to manage it this way, but honestly I really love this game anyway. I'm going to jump back into the campaign next.

Nice price. I played the demo and thought it was pretty good. It would be awesome if this was a universal drop.

[quote name='Organ Donor']Nice price. I played the demo and thought it was pretty good. It would be awesome if this was a universal drop.[/QUOTE]

When the price ends in an 8, it means that Gamestop is clearancing it out. That's not to say that there's not a universal price drop as well, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

Thx OP.Awesome deal to combo with a $10 git cert. Even though I had to pay shipping and tax, $13.91 final price brand new is tough to beat.

[quote name='arcane93']When the price ends in an 8, it means that Gamestop is clearancing it out. That's not to say that there's not a universal price drop as well, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. May have to pick this up this weekend then and use the last $2 of my GS credit :cool:

[quote name='Organ Donor']Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I only found that out recently when a GameStop manager told me while I was buying a few other titles that were like that. Useful to know, because it also means (in general) that once the stock is gone, they won't be getting it back in.

I needed to renew my edge card today so I grabbed a copy of this while I was there. I had this when it first came out and had a lot of fun with it. Thanks OP!

I got a used copy from the local Gamestop. They took an extra 10% off because it had no case, booklet, cover, etc. I figure if I don't like it, I got 7 days to return it anyway.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Supposedly 19 copies left in stock as of 9am/12pm...[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but how do you check for the inventory level on the GS site? Thx....

I was sitting and contemplating (and trying to figure out how to get free shipping without buying something I didn't want), and a used copy popped up online. Buddy at work tasked me with finding him a copy of Borderlands used for

you can also swing this as one of your 2 games towards madden 11 or crackdown 2 to save $40...i had divinity II which i am done with so now when i am done with tropico 3 i will dump both for what i paid for both $40 and then get crackdown 2 (which i already know sux from the demo) and not open it and return it for 60 bucks back...yes exploitation of trade in deals is nice.

[quote name='OblivionScamp']you can also swing this as one of your 2 games towards madden 11 or crackdown 2 to save $40...i had divinity II which i am done with so now when i am done with tropico 3 i will dump both for what i paid for both $40 and then get crackdown 2 (which i already know sux from the demo) and not open it and return it for 60 bucks back...yes exploitation of trade in deals is nice.[/QUOTE]
on the thread about the trade it i think it said they don't give you $60 back for the game. im not sure though.

Played the demo and enjoyed it enough to order it. Thanks OP. got it for $10 new with the RDR code. Sadly, no used copies left when I checked. I also grabbed TR Underworld to get free shipping. Much better deal than paying almost as much for Tropico alone.

[quote name='Brother Daz']I needed to renew my edge card today so I grabbed a copy of this while I was there. I had this when it first came out and had a lot of fun with it. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

What a coincidence, EDGE expired for me as well so I renewed and found a preown copy of Tropico. End up slightly over $16, this is a fun game!

Damn i was waiting for this game to hit the 20 dollar mark to. I might just have to buy something from those greedy f'ers at gamestop

I went to gamestop & they only had 1 copy left but it was the store copy or something like that. They said it was new but for some reason its open, i complain a bit & got 10% off haha....

bread's done
Back