TRU 2 day sale (12/7 & 8) - 50% off ALL strategy guides

Orrimarrko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
243 (100%)
I didn't see this, so if it has already been posted, just delete.

Flames aren't necessary.

I saw in a TRU email ad today that there will be a 2 day sale tomorrow (12/7) and Saturday (12/8).

In the ad, ALL strategy guides will be 50% off.

Great time to pick up the hardcover SMG, or deluxe Assassins Creed, etc!

Awesome, everytime I went in to Toys R Us to pick up games (first smg & $25 gc, then to pickup trauma center new blood) I saw the beautiful collectors editions of the zelda gmaes (PH and TP), but 300 for each was just too much. Definitely will be swinging by to pick up, thanx op

[quote name='EvilIA']Has anybody seen a persona 3 guide at TRU. I'm there anyways tomorrow most likely.[/quote]

I don't believe that TRU sells Persona 3, due to it's content.

If that's the case, then they wouldn't have the guide.

I believe that guide is fairly limited as well (like the Soul Nomad guide.)

DoubleJump guides are usually produced in smaller quantities than Prima, Brady or Piggyback.

300 for PH and ZT guide, a typo...

anyhow, $15 + tax is still not too shabby, but the thing is, i rarely see hardcover game guides in TRU...

[quote name='Orrimarrko']I don't believe that TRU sells Persona 3, due to it's content.

If that's the case, then they wouldn't have the guide.

I believe that guide is fairly limited as well (like the Soul Nomad guide.)

DoubleJump guides are usually produced in smaller quantities than Prima, Brady or Piggyback.[/quote]

No, trust me, with TRU's eight million coupons, deals, and free giftcards this year, I've been all about trying to find a P3 there. They don't even carry the game, much less the guide, unfortuantely.

I hate paying more than $0.01 for a guide but what are the odds I'll see SMG hardcover cheaper than $14.99. Thanks for the info.
Hmmm.... Friday, near Boston, 5pm
Almost makes an easy grab $29.99 seem better.
Plus my TRU blows so it'll be interesting sitting around from 430ish to 5pm.

[quote name='argyle']Do they carry the Assassin's Creed guide + artbook combo?[/quote]

That's what I wanna know. Here's to hoping!

I picked the last one up at my local Toysrus last night to get the price adjustment today.

The last one being the Mario Galaxy Hardcover

The shelves are essentially bare of guides. Kinda annoying.

I'll try and get a Mario Galaxy LE if I can.

Definitely don't expect much to be there...probably 12 guides to pick from at the most =(

grabbed

Blue Dragon
Fire Emblem
Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime Corruption

Now to decide if I really want all of these for $40.

Thanks for the heads up Orrrimarrko. I was able to pick up Zelda: PH LE, but unfortunately they were sold out of Mario Galaxy LE :cry: .

yeah the store near me had all of those, except mario galaxy, which I really wanted... oh well... I got another store near me I am going to hit tonight!

Last year the Zelda Twilight Princess Hardcover went down to $6 at BB and that's when I snagged one. Should I hold out hope this year for the Zelda PH and SMG hardcovers at BB instead?

I was able to get:

Super Mario Galaxy LE $14.99
Phantom Hourglass LE $14.99
Battalion Wars II $6.49 (I know I may be able to get this for a penny someday, but I wanted it now)

What I didn't see at either store was a single Mass Effect or Assassins Creed guide - limited or not. Bummer.

While this sounds good on paper... it's amazing how much guides have been marked up as of late for these 'collectors' versions.

I was thinking about picking up the SMG and LoZPH collectors guides but $15 is still too much. I don't know of a single collectors guide that hasn't plummeted in price yet after about a year or so.

[quote name='cag1000']Last year the Zelda Twilight Princess Hardcover went down to $6 at BB and that's when I snagged one. Should I hold out hope this year for the Zelda PH and SMG hardcovers at BB instead?[/quote]

I wouldn't - for two reasons.

The distribution of the hardcover Zelda game was premature. It is a limited edition guide, but they shipped them out in quantities that exceeded the number of people that:

a. Had a Wii
b. Were playing Zelda (remember - a lot of folks had already played it on the Gamecube)
c. Were willing to spend $29.99 on a guide

So, in typical Best Buy fashion, they saw an item that wasn't selling, and marked it down to $9.99.

Of course, these got snapped up.

Later, they realized their mistake, and the new shipments sold at $19.99. I believe that any you can still find in the stores will sell at this price.

As evident with the new "expensive" guides (SMG, PH, AC, ME), they will most likely remain at the initial price until sold out. I would expect them to offer specials from time to time, if sales get slow.

So, the first reason is that I wouldn't expect a drop like the Twilight Princess hardcover drop.

The second reason is, even if it did drop eventually to $9.99 (though unlikely), how many of them will be available at Best Buy in particular. Will you even be able to get one?

For that reason, I'll spend the extra $5, grab a nice, minty copy, and not worry about it.

Either way - good luck!!

Will pay cost + shipping for an Eternal Sonata guide if anyone sees one. Or I can trade a different ($10) guide for it if you'd like me to look for one.

[quote name='Vinny']While this sounds good on paper... it's amazing how much guides have been marked up as of late for these 'collectors' versions. [/quote][quote name='Vinny']

I was thinking about picking up the SMG and LoZPH collectors guides but $15 is still too much. I don't know of a single collectors guide that hasn't plummeted in price yet after about a year or so.[/quote]

There are only so many guides that have been released in "Special or Collector's Edition" format.

To my knowledge, these guides comprise the list of the "Collector's Edition" guide. These don't just say, "Special Edition or Limited Edition" - like the guides for the NIS games, these are actually different than their regular version counterparts: (if I'm missing any, I apologize)

Assassin's Creed (not truly CE, but guide packaged with Art Book)
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Gears of War
God of War II
Kingdom Hearts II
Legend of Zelda, The: Phantom Hourglass
Legend of Zelda, The: Twilight Princess
Madden 2005: Collector's Edition
Mass Effect
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Onimusha 3
Pokemon Complete Pokedex
Pokemon Colosseum
Soul Cailber II
Soul Caliber III
Super Mario Galaxy
Zenosaga II

Sure, other guides may say, "Collector's Edition" or something similar on them (such as the silver guide for the Zelda: Collector's Edition compilation game for the Gamecube), but they are the only guide released for that title, by that publisher.

In the titles above, there is a regular guide available, as well as the Collector's Edition.

From the list above, there are only a handful that sell routinely below $15 including shipping, from my observations.

Picked up 2 copies of SMG LE HC, one for me, and one for my cousin kid (I'm getting him the SMG game for Christmas, and I hope the guide will help his mom with getting through some parts of the game).

Snagged SMG and Zelda PH hardcover guides this A.M. Looked like there was only one SMG left. Don't know if I've ever seen a Nintendo CE guide marked down to a penny so figured this might be as cheap as I find 'em.

Not counting on BB to come through like last year.

Picked up SMG Limited - $13.50
Rock Band (lol) - $4.50

pm'd at BB

Thanks op!

Off to another BB for the Zelda PH Limited .....

and maybe Metroid Prime...

My Toys R Us had two things.... Jack and Squat. My Toys R Us sucks. I think I'll just ignore any future TRU deals posted on here, since I never get anything out of them but frustration

My ToysRUs had every guide except the Mario Galaxy hardcover guide. I picked up the Phantom Hourglass guide for 14.99 (which will go nicely with my TP hardcover guide) and I think I'll get the Viva Pinata guide tomorrow for $7.50.

Also picked up Lunar Knights while I was there for 9.99. I already own it, so I'm using it as a Christmas present. I couldn't believe it when I saw the 9.99 red tag on it. I paid 29.99 for it when it came out.

I got
another copy of SMG w/
half off golden compass (wii)
got the 10 dollar gc with purchase of golden compass
bought phantom hour glass HC LE

81 bucks plus tax

and yes, I love his dark materials and had to play the game, and yes its that awful already posting it on Ebay before everyone realized how terrible it really is.

[quote name='donut']Picked up SMG Limited - $13.50
Rock Band (lol) - $4.50

pm'd at BB

Thanks op!

Off to another BB for the Zelda PH Limited .....

and maybe Metroid Prime...[/QUOTE]o crap! I gotta PM!!

I really wanted Final Fantasy Tactics guide (TRU dont have it)... first thing tomorrow morning!!

why do u keep saying penny guides? I mean i work at a game crazy and when they discontinue them i get them for free cuz the value drops to 1 cent and they just take it out of the system, is that what you are referrin too? If not, where else can you get guides for 1 penny? i def gotta check out the guides sale tomorrow, maybe get Creed special edition or Mass Effect or something.

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']why do u keep saying penny guides? I mean i work at a game crazy and when they discontinue them i get them for free cuz the value drops to 1 cent and they just take it out of the system, is that what you are referrin too? If not, where else can you get guides for 1 penny? i def gotta check out the guides sale tomorrow, maybe get Creed special edition or Mass Effect or something.[/quote]
That's basically what they're talking about. Other stores do the same thing as you're describing. A lot of times the guides don't get pulled right away so they still sit on the shelves for sale but will ring up at the registers for a penny.

ahh i figured that was penny guides. Yea they used to be 1 penny in our system but now they just take them out altogether, i take my pick of the litter, and then we toss the rest. I got LOTS of nice RPG strat guides from it, i check every week for guide,s inf act, its become like the thing that I do at the store each week, make sure we have no priced to zero guides left on the racks. Good stuff. But i went to TRU today, they had crap left. I ALMOST bought super paper mario guide and fire emblem for the Wii guide but at last min i was like forget it cuz im halfway through SPM and wont need it and i dont even have fire emblem left. But other than that they had crap like a mario party 8 strategy guide...strat guide for a party game...almost as useful as a guide for a racing game or football game.

[quote name='GrimmTrixX']ahh i figured that was penny guides. Yea they used to be 1 penny in our system but now they just take them out altogether, i take my pick of the litter, and then we toss the rest. I got LOTS of nice RPG strat guides from it, i check every week for guide,s inf act, its become like the thing that I do at the store each week, make sure we have no priced to zero guides left on the racks. Good stuff. But i went to TRU today, they had crap left. I ALMOST bought super paper mario guide and fire emblem for the Wii guide but at last min i was like forget it cuz im halfway through SPM and wont need it and i dont even have fire emblem left. But other than that they had crap like a mario party 8 strategy guide...strat guide for a party game...almost as useful as a guide for a racing game or football game.[/quote]

Congrats on all your GC finds...please reconsider "tossing" out the ones you don't want/need...instead of adding to your local landfill, folks here might trade you a guide you are seeking for them...
....just a thought!:bouncy:

bread's done
Back