TRU Buy portal 2/mortal kombat 15 dollar gift card/buy both get 50 dollar gift card

[quote name='xxjonoxx']This deal seems about the same as Amazon right now, unless my math sucks (it always does.)

TRU:
$34.99 + $2.89 (Tax @.0825%) = $37.88 Portal 2
$34.99 + $2.89 (Tax @.0825%) = $37.88 MK
$50 GC (No Tax on GCs)
= $125.76 Total OTD

You then have to use that $50 GC on another item, let's say a new $60 game (LA Noire) and since you have to buy it at TRU, you'll have to pay $9.99 + $4.95 tax, making the new total $140.70 for three games at TRU.

Amazon:
$54.99 + $20 Credit Portal 2
$59.99 + $10 Credit MK
= $114.98 Total Shipped

If you also buy LA Noire from Amazon with the two credits, that makes LA Noire $29.99. The total for three games at Amazon is $144.97. However, if you use that Amazon credit to buy a game such as LA Noire, you will also get another $10 credit, so technically makes the total $134.97.

$140.70 = TRU total for MK + Portal 2 + third $60 game
$144.97 = Amazon total for MK + Portal + third $60 game

Of course, all of this math depends on the Sales Tax in your state, how much local stores charge you and if you have to pay tax to Amazon. Also don't forget to include the cost of gas of going to TRU if you wouldn't be going by there anyway. With an extra $5 credit added onto MK from Amazon, it would be overall cheaper there no matter what.

If you can someone how get Best Buy to PM TRU locally, you could always get an extra $10 credit from Reward Zone on Portal 2 and an additional $10 GC from Portal 2 and MK from BB. I hope this helps someone decide where to buy it, lol.[/QUOTE]

Your logic is a bit flawed since your example makes use of a third game, not to mention the assumption that TRU will have no deal on said third game. You're also taxing your TRU purchase wrong since you would really be paying tax on $120 and the gift card is free. I might as well mention "use tax" so you can look that up too.

Fact is, you are paying $120 + tax at TRU and getting $50 to spend later. At Amazon, you are spending about $115 and getting $30 to spend later. How you choose to make use of that free money later, and what deal you get with it, is up to you. If I do the deal at TRU, I'd come back and use the $50 on the buy 1 get 1 half off LEGO deal that will be running next week. So with that math, I'd be getting $195 + tax worth of stuff for $120 + tax worth of stuff, and you'd be getting $180 worth of stuff for $145. There's still tax stuff and it still depends on what exactly I buy with the $50 and if I go over that, but the point is there are benefits to both deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FadeToOne']Your logic is a bit flawed since your example makes use of a third game, not to mention the assumption that TRU will have no deal on said third game. You're also taxing your TRU purchase wrong since you would really be paying tax on $120 and the gift card is free. I might as well mention "use tax" so you can look that up too.

Fact is, you are paying $120 + tax at TRU and getting $50 to spend later. At Amazon, you are spending about $115 and getting $30 to spend later. How you choose to make use of that free money later, and what deal you get with it, is up to you. If I do the deal at TRU, I'd come back and use the $50 on the buy 1 get 1 half off LEGO deal that will be running next week. So with that math, I'd be getting $195 + tax worth of stuff for $120 + tax worth of stuff, and you'd be getting $180 worth of stuff for $145. There's still tax stuff and it still depends on what exactly I buy with the $50 and if I go over that, but the point is there are benefits to both deals.[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause:this is the best way to see the deals unbiased.

But it is all up to the individual...because some people have GCs or credit at Amazon or TRUS. And for some reason, people love to factor in previous credits.

[quote name='prim4444']There is still time to pre order a copy, that way you don't have to worry about it.[/QUOTE]

after seeing someone else do the math on the savings comparison, i pre ordered it again on amazon. UT tax killed it for me. also i didnt know about the $0.99 release date shipping amazon offers for pre orders because i normally wait for reviews/deals.

i cannot forsee P2 not living up to the bar set by the first game. but if this turns out to be another State of Emergency, we riot! LOL

[quote name='jdb230']You have absolutely no common sense.....

Why do you care so much if stores (like walmart/target/etc) choose to allow returns without a receipt? It is their stores, and their perogative to do so. Does it really cause that much pain knowing they do this?

Maybe you should go read a law book for dummies....because if you think this is "stealing" then obviously you won't be able to comprehend any of this.

And just as a "side point" to your failed logic of them having "excess" inventory now......what happens when that same person uses that gift card to purchase another item? Oh wait.....they are going to now have less inventory of another item now.... what's the point? Inventory changes all the time from people purchasing and returning items (with or without the receipt). If you have ever worked retail before, you would understand this, and realize it is something store's CAN'T control.....they just adapt and deal with it.

People get so caught up on ONLY people who buy items cheaper return them without a receipt, which is not the case. Sometimes people just misplace/lose their receipt, wait to long that it is now outside of the return policy with the receipt, or simply get an item as a gift and don't want it. I believe most stores choose to allow returns without a receipt for those reasons, and yea they know some people will do it to "profit" which is why they put limits on how much you can do.[/QUOTE]

For the last time, you are making a material misrepresentation to the store, in this case Walmart, which you know to be false. If you walk into Walmart and tell them "I bought this at X store, but I don't have a receipt and I want a refund", and then they accept the return, there is no fraud there. However, if you walk in there and tell them "I bought this game here" and I want a refund, but I lost my receipt, that's fraud. I have never been to a Walmart and seen anyone try to return something where the employee didn't ask them when they bought it and from which Walmart location. Perhaps your local Walmart is different, but if you are making misrepresentations to them about the origin of your product, that is clearly fraud. As another poster pointed out, you are tricking them into buying something they have no obligation to buy and throwing off their stock numbers as well as raising the risk that they will be stuck with something that will have to be clearanced and sold at a discount later, thus costing them money. You can argue all you want, but it's a form of return fraud and for as long as I have been a member of these forums, moderators have deleted posts advocating it because everyone agrees it's wrong.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']This deal seems about the same as Amazon right now, unless my math sucks (it always does.)

TRU:
$34.99 + $2.89 (Tax @.0825%) = $37.88 Portal 2
$34.99 + $2.89 (Tax @.0825%) = $37.88 MK
$50 GC (No Tax on GCs)
= $125.76 Total OTD

Amazon:
$54.99 + $20 Credit Portal 2
$59.99 + $10 Credit MK
= $114.98 Total Shipped[/QUOTE]

The BB deal is better
$59.99 + $10 giftcard + $10 RZ credit(35 days)
$59.99 + $10 giftcard + $10 RZ credit(35 days)
$119.98 + $40 BB credit which can also become Amazon credit
$120 spent out of $150 ($30) needed to earn another $10 RZ credit
this is on top of the 120 RZ points(150 if if your silver)

FYI:you could also flip the TRU to cash @ plasticjungle.com

Got this at the TRU in Brookfield WI today. The cashier automatically scanned the $10 MK coupon so the total came to $116. Sweet deal.

[quote name='ted_bundy']Got this at the TRU in Brookfield WI today. The cashier automatically scanned the $10 MK coupon so the total came to $116. Sweet deal.[/QUOTE]

what is this $10 MK coupon that you speak of?

I don't know exactly where it is. I guess it's in some free magazine/ad they hand out. I saw someone mention it earlier in the thread somewhere. It's just a $10 off MK coupon, but it apparently says "can't be combined with any other offer", so I didn't really even bother to look for it, but the cashier scanned it for me without even asking. I guess it's pretty YMMV and I just got lucky.

i'm hearing that it is just a random gaming flyer or might be inside tru's gamer's guide which is published every few months. the latest gamer's guide on tru website says prices valid to jan xx, so i don't think a new one has been published or released yet.

i work at toysrus and yes the coupon is in the gamers guide should be in rzone. There is also other coupons for other games like 10$ off homefront forgot what else.

[quote name='ted_bundy']Got this at the TRU in Brookfield WI today. The cashier automatically scanned the $10 MK coupon so the total came to $116. Sweet deal.[/QUOTE]

Really? Really? The $10 coupon, without an override will most certainly work. I tried it. But it DOES NEGATE THE $50 Gift Card.

Would you rather Save $10 on MK and only get a $15 Gift Card when bought in Conjunction with Portal 2? or spend $10 more to get $35 more in Gift Cards?

That price match shit doesnt work on bundles up here in new york where educated people live, maybe it does down south

[quote name='GBAstar']Really? Really? The $10 coupon, without an override will most certainly work. I tried it. But it DOES NEGATE THE $50 Gift Card.

Would you rather Save $10 on MK and only get a $15 Gift Card when bought in Conjunction with Portal 2? or spend $10 more to get $35 more in Gift Cards?[/QUOTE]

Not for me it doesn't. I didn't even ask for the $10 coupon, the cashier just gave it to me. And I made damn sure I got my $50 giftcard.

[quote name='GBAstar']Really? Really? The $10 coupon, without an override will most certainly work. I tried it. But it DOES NEGATE THE $50 Gift Card.

Would you rather Save $10 on MK and only get a $15 Gift Card when bought in Conjunction with Portal 2? or spend $10 more to get $35 more in Gift Cards?[/QUOTE]

hmm... didn't know it negated the $50 gift card.

[quote name='ted_bundy']Not for me it doesn't. I didn't even ask for the $10 coupon, the cashier just gave it to me. And I made damn sure I got my $50 giftcard.[/QUOTE]

Wait he's right. I forgot; it's buying multiples in one transaction that killed the GC for me, not the coupon. Make sure you don't try to buy 2 MK and 2 Portal 2 in one transaction. If you want multiples you can only buy one Mortal Kombat and one Portal 2 at a time.

Went to Toys r us, they had neither game in stock. Were clueless about the deal. Awful experience reminded me why I don't usually go there even for deals.

I was able to use the $10 coupon and still get the $50 GC, however, they wouldn't let me take off the 5 bucks each from preordering the games, which was somewhat odd. They rang up the transaction with the $10 off coupon, and then refunded the $10 in deposits from my preorders.

That's why I hate bestbuy.

Here's their policy from their own site:

How do you handle a price match if an instant gift card is included with a purchase?

The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer.

Linked

[quote name='jdb230']Ok? I never said I "knew" why they deleted it in the past, and I don't pretend to know....I only gave the reasoning of why I thought they might.

As far as it being "against the forum rules"......seems like a few mods who interpret returning items with out receipt as being fraud, which is against the rules to discuss fraudulant/illegal activities.

It's all subjective, but that's how forums works.....however it doesn't mean the action of a few mods dictate the "rules" of the site. Mods erroneously delete/move and mark posts/threads incorrectly.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be better for everyone if mods "errorenously" deleted you.

I came in here to find out if TRU was still giving out kitana cards and it's full of your crap.

[quote name='Astroranagun']i try to pm this in BB and they said they only pm the price not gift card... :([/QUOTE]

They told me that too, which is when I pulled out there policy from my pocket and walked out of there with both MK and Portal 2 for 76.80 (they took off 50 rather than give me a gift card, AND then they gave me $20 in gift cards because of the buy the game get $10 card special BB was running). All in all a good day!

Since the $10 coupon stacked with the $15 GC deal, the coupon should still stack with the B1G1 50% later this week. However you should note your game's refund value is deducted by GC value (i.e. Mortal Kombat comes out to $45 if you bought it with only the $15 GC deal).

I had no trouble getting the cashier to use the $10 coupon for MK. I asked if it would negate getting the $50 GC and he said he didn't think so. He tried it, it worked just fine. I got both games, an extra $10 off, and my $50 GC. I asked him to verify funds were on the GC, he did, then bought SOCOM 4 a few minutes later. Good shiz!

[quote name='jas4yf']They told me that too, which is when I pulled out there policy from my pocket and walked out of there with both MK and Portal 2 for 76.80 (they took off 50 rather than give me a gift card, AND then they gave me $20 in gift cards because of the buy the game get $10 card special BB was running). All in all a good day![/QUOTE]

Yeah they did that to me when I bought Black Ops. That week they had it for $10 less and there was an add for a $20 gift card, I paid like $30+ for Black Ops.

Pain in the Ass though and sometimes I would just rather buy it online. Ebay has Mortal Kombat for $50 with free shipping. Not the best deal but hey, save gas and it comes rite to your house.

[quote name='Astroranagun']i try to pm this in BB and they said they only pm the price not gift card... :([/QUOTE]

Here's the link to Allan @ BB Corp he wants the store locations so he can speak with managemnt there. Post your expeirience on the forums page too Corp does follow-up on these. I gave several positive reviews to my local BB when then took $15 off a CE pre-order they sold out of & the next time I came back the rep. remembered and thanked me. Plus this could affect their raises so it'll home pretty fast.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-B...heir-policy-s/td-p/166494?device-view=desktop

Also, add your thoughts to the "2011 customer wishlist" hopefully we can get a BB rep on CAG to start giving us deals like kmart.

Link:
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Pr...011-Customer-Wishlist-Suggestions/td-p/255478

Last edited by a moderator:
What does TRU have for video game deals for the rest of the week if this was only valid Tuesday? Can I still get a $15 GC if I buy either MK or Portal 2? If not do they have any other specials coming up?

Thanks

[quote name='confoosious']I think it would be better for everyone if mods "errorenously" deleted you.

I came in here to find out if TRU was still giving out kitana cards and it's full of your crap.[/QUOTE]

get over yourself troll.

[quote name='jdb230']get over yourself troll.[/QUOTE]

Like flies on shit you can always count on him to pop into a thread about return fraud.

Since the ad said the deal was only valid for tuesday, can you still try and price match it at best buy and hope they don't notice it?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Like flies on shit you can always count on him to pop into a thread about return fraud.[/QUOTE]

in that scenario, does that make you shit? In that case, I totally agree.

[quote name='confoosious']in that scenario, does that make you shit? In that case, I totally agree.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying you want to imagine me as fecal matter and eat me?

I wasn't able to get to the store on Tuesday for the $15 giftcard but I was able to use my discount which took off $5 and I sold the code for $25. Not a bad deal.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So you're saying you want to imagine me as fecal matter and eat me?[/QUOTE]
Dude. You totally set yourself up for that retort. :lol:

[quote name='Mokilicious']Since the ad said the deal was only valid for tuesday, can you still try and price match it at best buy and hope they don't notice it?[/QUOTE]
You can try all you want, but the actual ad has "TUESDAY ONLY!" in big letters right next to the prices.

bread's done
Back