TRU Friends & Family Oct. 7-13

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Just a heads up, TRU is doing their annual Friends and Family event from October 7 - 13. If you never heard of this event, basically you get a piece of paper that can be used for 20% of a purchase of $75 or more.

Of course the normal exclusions apply (no consoles, giftcards, etc.).

I got shot down using a printed coupon. :( My brother who goes to college out of state and works part time at TRU will be upset I didn't get to use it.

[quote name='KingDox']THANK YOU OP & JediBaja. This is the deal of the freaking year for me.

I just used the coupon at TRU and it worked for GH2 on the 360. They had like 30 of them. But I knew I needed some filler so I was going to get some MS points and then I saw that Moto GP 07 was marked down to 9.90 from 59.99.
Yes the 07 version

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=200299

not the 06 version. The freaking 07 version was marked down for less then 10 bucks.

So I figured it was a mistake and took a copy of the game and the tab divider that said Motogp 07 $9.90. And incase that got shut down I took some Wii points to the register.

At the register I verified that the 07 version was 10 bucks, and the dude plugged in the # on the game divider and said, yeah it's 10 bucks.

The only trouble I had was the dude who was ringing me up had never seen the coupon. Then he asked someone and they said the coupon was only good on Monday. But I pointed out the coupon was valid today, and that he should just scan it because "my friend" said it already works.

Sure enough it worked, I got GH2 for about 55 bucks, Moto GP 07 for like 8 bucks, and I got the wii points just for the hell of it for 16 bucks.

Deal of the year ? yes.[/quote]

OMG. That is the same thing my co-worker told me yesterday when I handed the coupon. He told me that it would only work on Oct. 8! People. Cannot. Read. It clearly says that the coupon is valid from Oct. 7 to Oct. 13 and that there's a "special party" for the employees and customers on Monday night.

Thanks for the coupon, OP & JediBaja.

Was able to get GH2 (360) and Zelda PH for $90 after tax.

I got denied at the first store near me, they said they needed the original coupon. So I drove to another TRU and they accepted it no problem.

[quote name='JediBaja']OMG. That is the same thing my co-worker told me yesterday when I handed the coupon. He told me that it would only work on Oct. 8! People. Cannot. Read. It clearly says that the coupon is valid from Oct. 7 to Oct. 13 and that there's a "special party" for the employees and customers on Monday night.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you know there are people who are going to have problems using the coupon after the 8th. You have to fight for deals sometimes but damn it, it's worth it.

Just use the old "my brother in-law on the east/west coast sent me the coupon and he's a regonal manager". That will usually shut them up and have them just scan the dam coupon. I mean it's not like we hacked some bar code and are trying to scam them.

This is a great deal if you take full advantage of it. You can save up to $100 if you buy $500 worth of stuff.

"But dawg, there aren't $500 worth of games out that I want!"
The deal works on pre-orders. You are going to buy GTA IV right? Uncharted? GH III? Eye of judgement? You might as well save 20% on those too!

"Er ok that's great and all, but I dont have $500 ='/"
Get a job you lazy bum! heh j/k. But you don't get charged for the preorders until they ship, if that helps.

[quote name='atheist_uberboy']oh shit, Guitar Hero 3 bundles!

to bad they don't have the rock band package available...[/quote]

Egads! I just checked the site and TRU now has Rock Band Special Editions available for pre-order on PS3 and XBOX 360. However, they are listed at $199 and shipping costs $21.84 :cry: Someone should really contact them about that (I should be writing my essay right now).

20% off of the bundle results in $34 worth of savings and the site currently has a $15 off for "Bill Me Later", but shipping kinda kills it. Then again, the game comes out on Black Friday...

PS3 Link: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2902345
360 Link: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2902344

As mentioned before, GHIII bundles are also available for pre-order as well as additional wireless guitar controllers.

I just jumped on this for the GH3 bundle, anyone have any idea how toysrus would handle it when they update the rock band bundle price if you already ordered it?

also, anyone have any idea if the ps3 guitar will work with the ps2 since it has a dongle anyway?

So are you guys just buying the games online then taking the recipe that you print out into the store to get the buy 2 get 1 free deal?

Edit: Could you do it on preordered games? Then take the recipe in next week and get the buy 2 get 1 free deal on those or do they have to be games that are already out?

Basically I want to know if I can do this...

Buy Guitar Hero 3 - Wii
Buy Super Mario Galaxy - Wii
Buy Fire Embleml - Wii

and get SSBB or SMG free if I print the recipt off and take it into the store next week with the 20% online coupon?

[quote name='Ashadelo']So are you guys just buying the games online then taking the recipe that you print out into the store to get the buy 2 get 1 free deal?

Edit: Could you do it on preordered games? Then take the recipe in next week and get the buy 2 get 1 free deal on those or do they have to be games that are already out?

Basically I want to know if I can do this...

Buy Guitar Hero 3 - Wii
Buy Super Mario Galaxy - Wii
Buy Fire Embleml - Wii

and get SSBB or SMG free if I print the recipt off and take it into the store next week with the 20% online coupon?[/quote]No. Unless a coked out monkey is working the register. Buying games online to pricematch in-store is incredibly rare, let alone a bundled offer. Add to that fact, none of those games are out during the promotional period.

Ahh, then how are people going to combine the 20% off with the buy 2 get 1 free deal next week? I thought I read somewhere in the thread that a few people plan on doing this.

You not gonna believe this. Transformers is coming next Tuesday, so I searches HD-DVD on the search box. What I found is that TRU only carry 1 HD-DVD movie which is TRANSFORMERS EXCLUSIVELY and so does Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive Addon. Both does qualify 20% discount. Thanks god I have Paypal credits. The total price is $214.98 and now is $181.98 after 20% discount. The shipping is $9 and my sale state tax is $14. Since they don't have pickup option and I'm stuck between this and Meijer.com (free sale state tax but doesn't have HD-DVD movies). I have 4 days to decide which online store to order HD-DVD Addon & Transformers HD. I don't have Xbox 360 and I'm waiting to get the Elite with Falcon chipset later this month or early next month.

[quote name='Ashadelo']Ahh, then how are people going to combine the 20% off with the buy 2 get 1 free deal next week? I thought I read somewhere in the thread that a few people plan on doing this.[/quote]I haven't read about that, but these kinds of things are very much YMMV at TRU. Some people have had luck pulling these things off, but more likely than not, they don't work.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I haven't read about that, but these kinds of things are very much YMMV at TRU. Some people have had luck pulling these things off, but more likely than not, they don't work.[/quote]

If you check out the huge TRU B2G1 thread there are more details.

My suggestion is that you buy 3 games on one transaction during this week, using the 20% off coupon. With 3 games, you'll easily make it over the $75 requirement unless you're getting clearance games. Come back the next week during the B2G1 sale and simply tell the guest service associate that you purcahsed 3 games last week and that now there's a sale, you'd like your 3rd game free. Make sure that out of the 3 games you purchase, the last one rung up on the receipt is one that you definitely want to keep because you won't be able to exchange that one. The other 2 non-free can technically be exchanged for a future game the comes out within 45 days of your original purchase, but this is mostly YMMV.

I've done this for the past 3 years. Then again, I work at TRU and the GSAs do whatever I tell them ;)

Rock Band is down to $169.99 on the website, but the shipping is still $21+. Comes to $167.37 shipped for me with 6% sales tax, which would save me about $12.

I wish the shipping wasn't so outrageous- How big/heavy is the package anyway?

Are there any local TRU employees at the York PA area reading this thread since the person I knew working at the local TRU does not work there anymore and nobody was friendly enough to give a coupon out at the store.

If you have a coupon and live in the area, feel free to give me a PM. Or I could just order it online but shipping to PO boxes stink for that website.

Ok so, these coupons don't work on consoles...but if i use someones actual employee discount card, will that discount work on consoles?

Employee discounts exclude video game hardware and gift cards.

The original scans are printed on regular paper.

[quote name='bfauble83']Ok so, these coupons don't work on consoles...but if i use someones actual employee discount card, will that discount work on consoles?[/quote]

Good luck getting an employee to loan you their card. They can get into some serious shit if it's used by anyone aside from them our their spouse. Besides, as already said, employees have the same discount restrictions as all coupons.

Ooo-whee! I made a killing:
(10% employee discount + 20% F&F + 10% 5th grader - one item)

360 Halo 3 CE (PS3 Assassin's Creed LE) - $45.35
PS3 Lair (PS3 Uncharted) - $43.19
PS3 Skate (PS3 Folklore or Ratchet & Clank) - $43.19

DS DK Jungle Climber (DS Phoenix Wright 3) - $21.59
DS Jam Sessions (DS Professor Layton) - $21.59
PSP Crazy Taxi - $19.43

I wonder if I can use two 10% 5th grader coupons on one transaction so that each of the 2 games I purcahse for the B2G1 sale are discounted?

I'm taking a wild guess here - but is there any chance that the deal would work for preorders? I'd love to hit this deal up for Bioshock, Orange Box, and a preorder of Mass Effect.

bread's done
Back