TRU - No weekly ad? Toy Story 3 Combo pack at $34.99??

jp2

CAGiversary!
I picked up Sunday's paper this evening, and noticed TRU included their big Christmas book, but no 10/31-11/6 weekly ad.

As a result, it would seem that Toy Story 3 Blu-ray/DVD Combo pack will be priced at $34.99 as stated in the month-long Christmas book.

This is a real downer, as I pre-ordered 2 copies at TRU for $5 each. Considering Target & BB are pricing this $10 cheaper, I'm actually losing money by picking up the pre-orders.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a refund on a pre-order if you also took advantage of the $10 discount of same-day blu purchase? I kinda feel shady asking for a refund, but also feel like a fool completing the pre-order purchase at $10 over the competition.

Multiple posters at blu-ray.com have called their TRUs and been told their TS3 combo-pack price will be $29.99--which isn't as unreasonable as $34.99. (They also suggest no refunds on preorders, but I've essentially said that's YMMV all along; it still is. I'll go ahead and pick mine up.)

Correct me if I am wrong...but if TRU prices the movie at 29.99 and Target prices it at 24.99, there is no benefit for me to pick up the movie at TRU.
I bought BATB for 2.99 with the TS3 pre-order so my math looks like this:

TS3 - $29.99
- $5 TS3 Preorder (that I already paid)
- $8 Manu Coupon
= $16.99
Add $2.99 for what I spent for BATB and you come to $19.99 for both movies if picked up at TRU.

If I just go to Target (which is super close to me)
I get it for 24.99 - 8 coupon = 16.99 +2.99 for BATB at TRU = 19.99 for both movies.

TRU needs to price TS3 lower than 29.99 for it to make sense for me to go all the way across town to pick it up there, correct?

Yeah I spent $5 to preorder it when I picked up BATB, but essentially, I spent $5 to get $10 off so if TRU's price isn't competative, screw em.

Got an email from REDBOX this morning that said Get 5 dollars off TS3 when you rent it. Don't know if they email you a coupon or not. If they do could you stack it with the 8 dollar one at target?

Just got back from Walmart. They are accepting the $8 Disney coupon for the 2 disc $19.98 version. It came out $11.98+tax. But the cashier had to call a manager because she was saying its a Walmart policy not to accept coupons that are photocopied or in black and white. They only accept coupon in color! Keeping my cool, I told her that its original and I only have a b&W printer. Mentioned too that all numbers are unique. Finally, the manager asked the cashier to just scan the coupon to see if it will accept them. And it did!

[quote name='scum1']Got an email from REDBOX this morning that said Get 5 dollars off TS3 when you rent it. Don't know if they email you a coupon or not. If they do could you stack it with the 8 dollar one at target?[/QUOTE]

i did not get that email, is there a link that takes you to the page? I'd like to try and get this deal and see if I can stack the 2 coupons.

Rang in as $34.99 at TRU, so just went to the desk and asked for my two $5 deposits back. No issues, got one as cash and one as a gift card. Tried to go to Best Buy (perposely timed my position in the line to avoid the woman who rejected coupon + sales price as combining offers the last time) but coupon didn't ring in and they wouldn't take it. Then went to Target and was able to get it, bu just realized after checking out that that since I got my cash back, I was really paying $17 for this blu-ray--which is way more than I ever pay for a film (I usually get my blus for under $10) so may end up returning it and waiting for a better deal.

Forgot my coupon book, was that $10 gift for spending $40 on movies deal (assuming im not recalling it wrong) automatic or a coupon you had to use?

Ended up going to best buy. They took the 8 dollar coupon and I also bought their exclusive TS3 plush set(kids want those) which was 5 dollars off with blu ray purchase. Actually on the receipt they took 2.50 off the plush and 2.50 off on the blu ray combo. So I guess you could look at it like I got the blu ray combo pak for around 14 bucks. I was going to buy the plush set anyway Peas in a pod FTW!

Went to TRU and got my preorder money back. They had it for $34.99 (I don't know if he even scanned it.. he was kinda rude) and told me they didn't have the clocks (once again he was rude). I went to best buy and picked up the combo & Cars Toon combo for $16.75 after bestbuy.com price match on cars, 8 coupon and 7.50 from the iron pack preorder, & a $10 reward certificate. I would have went to best buy to start with, but I wanted the clock for my sons room oh well I think I made out pretty good in the end.

[quote name='Raven6009']It probably will still come up at $24.99 in-store. I would take a printout with you from the website. To be even safer add both movies to your shopping cart and print that out, showing $39.98 for both.[/QUOTE]

It did. I am just going to call the Silver Membership line to get the price corrected.

Seems silly since if you do the package on the website, it is cheaper...

Wow. This thing is selling fast. I went an hour after Best Buy opened and they were down to about 20 or so combo packs left with lots of empty room where there were some earlier. They sold at least five while I was in line.

Disappointing. Not even sure if i want to grab this with minimum being about $17.

I think I have about 8 preorders at TRU though.....

[quote name='Pookymeister']Disappointing. Not even sure if i want to grab this with minimum being about $17.

I think I have about 8 preorders at TRU though.....[/QUOTE]

I have 9 pre orders at TRU :crazy:

My question is will they let me use multiple on one copy of TS3. If not I'll just return all 9 and hit up BB...

Toys R us denied refunding my preorder deposit for TS3. Should I try going to a different store? I hope best buy won't refuse to refund my preorder deposit as well. I really want the target's special pack...

[quote name='cheapskake']Toys R us denied refunding my preorder deposit for TS3. Should I try going to a different store? I hope best buy won't refuse to refund my preorder deposit as well. I really want the target's special pack...[/QUOTE]

If you decide to give up, you could try buying the film from TRU and then returning that.

[quote name='iluvmywife']I may be wrong but I can't believe that TRU will hold true to the $34.99 on TS3 price on release day.[/QUOTE]

Get a clue buddy!

I picked up one of my eight preorders and added a MTT. Also picked up a duplos and lego set that were already 20% off. Got two $10 GCs (>$75 purchase, >$40 Disney movie purchase, free popcorn tin, free wall clock, free cars carrying case.

If I was buying only TS3 then I think BB has the better deal!

[quote name='iluvmywife']Get a clue buddy!

I picked up one of my eight preorders and added a MTT. Also picked up a duplos and lego set that were already 20% off. Got two $10 GCs (>$75 purchase, >$40 Disney movie purchase, free popcorn tin, free wall clock, free cars carrying case.

If I was buying only TS3 then I think BB has the better deal![/QUOTE]Eight preorders, and you're talking to someone else about getting a clue? :whistle2:s

I think my $12.49 copy from Amazon ($10 discount and 1/4 of another $10 discount) works fine for me without those "extra" items that are built into the $34.99 price.

[quote name='jdawgg76']To be fair, he told himself to get a clue.[/QUOTE]

lol... pretty great. Didn't notice that. He's probably talking to the person that pre-ordered 9 copies though.

[quote name='jpmoney']If you decide to give up, you could try buying the film from TRU and then returning that.[/QUOTE]

Just reporting back that this works. I didn't immediately try getting my preorder money back, though; story on why I bought it from TRU first and then returned it was that I saw the wall clock TRU offered and kind of jizzed, then realized afte making my purchase that I'd rather spend less with the lower price at BB and a BB Reward Zone certificate I have (and the clock is just stuff to add to the pile of more stuff I have and don't necessarily need).

Here's the clock for those that are interested:

pTRU1-8065958dt.jpg

As you can see, it's pretty sweet, but I wouldn't consider it 15 dollars sweet.

[quote name='jdawgg76']To be fair, he told himself to get a clue.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blk00civicsi']lol... pretty great. Didn't notice that. He's probably talking to the person that pre-ordered 9 copies though.[/QUOTE]

No, I was talking to myself. It was an attempt at humor. :applause:

Yes, we now have 7 preorders that will probably go unclaimed. Since the $5 preorder saved us $10 on BatB, I don't feel as bad.

I will not go into details but there was an opportunity to make a little extra money by preordering/purchasing Tinkerbell and BatB from TRU. A lot of CAG will know what I am talking about.

TRU price on TS3 and the fact there are no longer any bonus $10 preorder cards have effectively killed that opportunity.

I don't blame TRU for this move and I am surprised it took them this long to catch on to their own policy.

I will not worry about my 7 other preorders since I saved $10 by paying the $5.

Who knows, TRU may change the price befoe all coupons end.

EDIT: The popcorn from the free tin is pretty good!

I had no problems returning my $5 deposit for 2 TS3's at TRU today.
The CSR walked away and brought back a supervisor who asked why, but also said he completely understood considering the price of the competition.

The CSR explained a supervisor needed to be aware of pre-order returns, and even tried to sell me on keeping it at TRU for the wall clock and popcorn. Considered, but these will be gifts for my nieces, and the clock seems like more for a boy... and my 2 year-old niece (although i'm sure would be fascinated by the popcorn tin) might hurt herself.

Got the $10 refund, and went to Target. Target only had the DVD and the Buzz Toy pack Blu-combo. No standard yellow Dvd/Blu combos. The Buzz toy is very cool, but again more for a boy. Was also a bit surprised how poor the Target Blu-ray section was set-up. I decided to a few stores over to BB.

BB had a ton of all versions, including the plush toys and trilogy toy box. Declined the plush and bought 2 (separate transactions to be sure) combo packs. The coupon works, but they have to enter it manually and some cashiers have to ask for help to process them.

Overall, a huge success because I was able to snag something for myself... Kick Ass Dvd/Blu+DC Combo for $12.99!!! Woo hoo! Great price, and they had a ton of them available for purchase.

Didn't have a problem at all getting a refund on my $5 deposit. I was in and out of TRU in about 20 seconds.

I headed over to Best Buy next door to get TS3. They went all out with the decorations for this release; I've never seen anything like it. They had a gigantic banner above the doors that was bigger than the Best Buy sign itself, giant standees of the characters lining the entrance walkway, balloons and streamers, and four standalone racks at the front packed with every version of the movie.

Went into TRU and walked out paying $40 for both MTT and TS3 combo pack.
Could have gotten afew bucks cheaper and Target but am happy with the overall purchase.
Also got the Wall Clock and $10 GC. Didn't have the popcorn tin though when I was there.

Used the $8 coupon and the $3 one. Tried using the other $3 but computer would not do it, didn't even try to get them to do it manually as I was already in line 30 mins and wanted to get out.

I am pretty shocked there isn't a TS3 specific thread here on CAG so I guess I'll have to post here since it seems to be the closest.

Does anyone know what Fry's is selling it for? They seem to have gone dead here recently. I can't find a Fry's sale thread for this week and we didn't get an ad in our paper over the last few days and there's usually one just about every day. Did they go out of business and I missed it!?

Anyway, I buy Blu-rays so infrequently but would have done it for this one if there was any sort of a deal. They all seem pretty bad though. I remember getting such good deals on Monsters, Inc and Toy Story 1/2.

I may just have to pass for now as sad as that is. I'll just Netflix the DVD for the kids to watch a couple times then wait for a deal down the road. I can just never ever in my lifetime justify spending over $20 on any one movie.

Edit: I am really confused by the deals, though. OK, so I know about the $8 coupon because I got that in an email from Disney. But is the sale price $34.99 at most places?? I see I can order the combo for $24.99 from Amazon or just the blu-ray for $19.99, though. That is slightly tempting - if only they were each $5 cheaper I'd do it for sure...

Edit #2: Fry.com also has the combo pack for $24.99. If I can get that price + $8 off in store, then I'll do that for sure. But I think I remember hearing they don't take coupons any more... Best Buy seems to also have the $24.99 pricing. Why are people talking about price matching at Best Buy then?? I'm really lost :lol:.

I was definitely one of the ones who bit on the TB3/BatB/TS3 deal that we thought we were going to get. This 34.99 really screwed things up. But kept with TRU because of that 10 dollar merch credit from TB3. So, after everything, brought it down to 12.99 plus a clock, which i'm giving to a friend who has 2 little boys. i forgot the popcorn

[quote name='typical guy']I also posted this on Blu Ray .com
Best Buy:
TS3 4 disk combo pack: 25
Mater's Tall Tales: 25
= 50 - 8 = $42 + tax out of pocket

OR

TS3 2 disk set: $25
Mater's Tall Tales: $20
= 45 + tax out of pocket*

OR

TS3 BR disk alone: $20
Mater's Tall Tales: $25
= 45 + tax out of pocket*

*Note: The Disney coupon has a picture of the first set (the 4 disk combo pack) on it and the other two movies don't even say "Combo pack" on their packaging so I have to assume if you want to use the Disney coupon at Best Buy, you have to buy the first "deal".

Target:
TS3 4 disk combo pack: $25
Nater's Tall Tales: $20
= 45 - 8 = $37 + tax out of pocket

TRU:
TS3 4 disk combo pack: $35
Nater's Tall Tales: $25
Toy Story 3 Popcorn Tin: $0 (page 54 of the Christmas book)
Toy Story Wall clock: $0 (Page 75 of the Christmas book)
$10 gift card: $0 (top of page 75 of the Christmas book)

= $60 - 5 pre-order
= $55 - 3 magical savings book
= $52 (I'm assuming you can't use both $3 coupons in this transaction)
If you look at page 55 of the toy book, you'll see that you can get a free car's carry case if you spend 30 or more on Cars stuff (you're at 25 with the BD purchase). At the back of the book, you'll see you can get a bear for $5 if you spent more than $50 in a transaction. Additionally, if you add in some additional purchases, you might be able to use the $10 off coupon card stuck to the front of the book (this was on the book mailed to me, not the book I got in the Sunday paper).
[/QUOTE]

OK, this post sort of summarizes it for me. So it seems the best price is $24.99 and then you can take the $8 coupon off, making it $17... I guess that's sort of OK. I might get it at that price just because, well, it is Toy Story after all. My youngest hasn't even seen the movie yet, whereas I took the older ones to multiple 3D showings.

But I do have one question: why all the combo talk with this Mater thing? I wouldn't want the Mater movie unless it was dirt cheap, and it seems like you are adding $20-$25 to get that without any added savings. If it was a combo purchase deal that would be one thing, but the coupon I just printed doesn't even mention Mater. It just seems I'd rather pay $17 for TS3 by itself than $37-$42 for TS3 + Mater like in the post above. Again, am I missing something there??

[quote name='io']OK, this post sort of summarizes it for me. So it seems the best price is $24.99 and then you can take the $8 coupon off, making it $17... I guess that's sort of OK. I might get it at that price just because, well, it is Toy Story after all. My youngest hasn't even seen the movie yet, whereas I took the older ones to multiple 3D showings.

But I do have one question: why all the combo talk with this Mater thing? I wouldn't want the Mater movie unless it was dirt cheap, and it seems like you are adding $20-$25 to get that without any added savings. If it was a combo purchase deal that would be one thing, but the coupon I just printed doesn't even mention Mater. It just seems I'd rather pay $17 for TS3 by itself than $40-$45 for TS3 + Mater like in the post above. Again, am I missing something there??[/QUOTE]

You're missing the part where Mater's Tall Tales is the most ambitious Disney production since Fantasia in 1940. Kidding. I guess everybody's got kids who want it. I do have to admit that I loved Mater in Cars even though Larry the Cable Guy's own movies are terrible.

[quote name='io']OK, this post sort of summarizes it for me. So it seems the best price is $24.99 and then you can take the $8 coupon off, making it $17... I guess that's sort of OK. I might get it at that price just because, well, it is Toy Story after all. My youngest hasn't even seen the movie yet, whereas I took the older ones to multiple 3D showings.

But I do have one question: why all the combo talk with this Mater thing? I wouldn't want the Mater movie unless it was dirt cheap, and it seems like you are adding $20-$25 to get that without any added savings. If it was a combo purchase deal that would be one thing, but the coupon I just printed doesn't even mention Mater. It just seems I'd rather pay $17 for TS3 by itself than $37-$42 for TS3 + Mater like in the post above. Again, am I missing something there??[/QUOTE]

BB and Target both have TS3 for $24.99 and asking if your missing something your not.

I wanted MTT because my son really liked it on Disney channel and I enjoyed it too.

Mine came out like this

TRU

TS3
$29.99 - $5.00 preorder
$24.99 - $8.00 coupon

Total $16.99

MTT
$24.99 - $3.00 coupon

Total $21.99

bonus free $10 GC and free $14.99 wall clock

so I paid $38.98 plus tax, used my remaining balance on my TB3 GC so I got it for a bit less.

They would not let me use both $3 coupons, made me use one.

[quote name='rapsodist']You're missing the part where Mater's Tall Tales is the most ambitious Disney production since Fantasia in 1940. Kidding. I guess everybody's got kids who want it. I do have to admit that I loved Mater in Cars even though Larry the Cable Guy's own movies are terrible.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've got plenty of kids and they enjoyed Cars well enough, but I don't think any of them have seen the Mater stuff, so that's a pass for me. Or I can just Netflix that eventually - don't need it in HD.

[quote name='neoz']BB and Target both have TS3 for $24.99 and asking if your missing something your not.

I wanted MTT because my son really liked it on Disney channel and I enjoyed it too.

Mine came out like this

TRU

TS3
$29.99 - $5.00 preorder
$24.99 - $8.00 coupon

Total $16.99

MTT
$24.99 - $3.00 coupon

Total $21.99

so I paid $38.98 plus tax, used my remaining balance on my TB3 GC so I got it for a bit less.

They would not let me use both $3 coupons, made me use one.[/QUOTE]

Is this $10 GC some sort of deal when buying both, though? That might swing me to get it, though probably not given how far out of the way TRU is.

The $10 GC is if you make a purchase of $40 or more on "Disney movies" in one transaction. It is active for a few weeks.

[quote name='neoz']BB and Target both have TS3 for $24.99 and asking if your missing something your not.

Mine came out like this

TRU

TS3
$29.99 - $5.00 preorder
$24.99 - $8.00 coupon

Total $16.99

MTT
$24.99 - $3.00 coupon

Total $21.99

Not bad!

[quote name='KyleN']Rang in as $34.99 at TRU, so just went to the desk and asked for my two $5 deposits back. No issues, got one as cash and one as a gift card. Tried to go to Best Buy (perposely timed my position in the line to avoid the woman who rejected coupon + sales price as combining offers the last time) but coupon didn't ring in and they wouldn't take it. Then went to Target and was able to get it, bu just realized after checking out that that since I got my cash back, I was really paying $17 for this blu-ray--which is way more than I ever pay for a film (I usually get my blus for under $10) so may end up returning it and waiting for a better deal.[/QUOTE]

It took you 3 stores to figure out $25 - $8 isn't $10? Really?

Yeah, I ended up getting it at Best Buy (Target was sold out). I normally wouldn't pay $17 for a blu-ray either, but this is the exception. I didn't want to hassle with all the TRU stuff so I just went plain straight-up $8 off at Best Buy. It was odd, though, since the cashier took my coupon and went to another register and did something with it for about 5 minutes before coming back and ringing it up as a generic "Coupon (MFG) $8". Was she verifying it in some way? You'd think they would have seen a few of those Disney coupons throughout the day. She never scanned it at checkout - just entered the value.

I went ahead and got it from Walmart (regular 2 disc Blu Ray edition) for $19.99 - $8 coupon. $11.99+tax. Scanned right away.

[quote name='io']Yeah, I ended up getting it at Best Buy (Target was sold out). I normally wouldn't pay $17 for a blu-ray either, but this is the exception. I didn't want to hassle with all the TRU stuff so I just went plain straight-up $8 off at Best Buy. It was odd, though, since the cashier took my coupon and went to another register and did something with it for about 5 minutes before coming back and ringing it up as a generic "Coupon (MFG) $8". Was she verifying it in some way? You'd think they would have seen a few of those Disney coupons throughout the day. She never scanned it at checkout - just entered the value.[/QUOTE]

In my experience with BB - they don't have mfg coupons in system for them to scan. It is just entered as a form of tender at the end. She prob didn't know what to do with it.

I went with the Toys R Us deal.
ToyStory3 $21.99(after pre order and q)
Hannah Montana $7.99(cheapest disney dvd i could find)
Popcorn tin
Wall Clock
$10 gift card(buy $40 of disney movies)
Total: $29.98

Better deal than $16.99 after coupon elsewhere and 'eating' the $5 already paid on preorder. That would have cost me $21.99 then.

I rationalize it that I paid a little more cash out of pocket yesterday but got $10 gift card towards next deal and 3 gifts for Xmas for my kids.

[quote name='neoz']

Just an heads up but there are two different $3 coupons. One is a Disney coupon for $3 off any Blu/DVD and one is $3 off TRU coupon found in the coupon book available at most TRU stores. I successfully used both along with the other Disney $8 coupon.

My Toys R Us experience in Warwick, RI:

I picked up:

Toy Story 3 Blu-Ray
Mater Tales Blu-Ray
Lego Cars Setmater's Yard (on sale for $18)
Songebob Teaching time clock ($11.99)
Toy Story Wall Clock (free)
Cars Case (free)
Cars Book ($1 promo w/movie purchase and got me to $75.35)
Toy Story Popcorn (free)

Total after coupons and promos was $75.35 and I got back $20 in gift cards for a net $55 cost. Not bad considering the two movies rang in for $60 by themselves, lol.

-Matt

I ordered the 4 disc from amazon..came in yesterday and had digital copy, DVD, and TWO bonus feature discs..they had to overnight me a replacement :/

bread's done
Back